Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

LloydDobler posted:

I know a lot of us in here won't get off our asses and finish our projects, but what do you do when, like me right now, you have a project waiting and can't even be arsed to start it? I have the car, I have the engine, I have the harness and computer, I even have the modified oil pan. I have a transmission but it might not be the right one. I have more than enough to get loving going, and the sooner I get going the sooner I can make a bunch of money parting out my old drivetrain, and the sooner I can pay for the details on the new one. And the sooner I can start a bitchin build thread.

I bought an electronic ignition (to replace points) three years ago. I bought shocks and springs for the E21 project in August...2013. I bought sway bars on Black Friday 2013. I bought a complete parts car solely for the 5 speed transmission sometime summer 2013. I bought wheel spacers last spring and have NO idea where the hell they disappeared to. Then to screw things up I bought all new shocks/springs/struts/etc this Black Friday. I finally got the car out of the corner and started on it last week.

I know the feeling.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

ok I have literally never done anything plumbing related in my life but my slumlord landlord won't fix my hosed up shower so I'm going to turn off the hot water in my shower unless I need to take a shower because apparently it's dripping at like 4 gallons of hot water an hour and that's almost certainly what is driving my electric bill through the roof

this is what i'm dealing with. I can't get the thing to budge with my weak girly hands, can I use a wrench on that bolt fitting near the base of the valve?
No, that won't do what you want, but you can use a large pair of pliers/grips on the handle to turn it. Be careful if it's really seized, though, as you can just turn the entire assembly and kink/split the pipe.

The nut is holding it together, don't undo it!

Edit: You mean that the valve controls flow to a shower that leaks, yes? Not that the valve itself leaks, and needs replacing?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

rscott posted:

ok I have literally never done anything plumbing related in my life but my slumlord landlord won't fix my hosed up shower so I'm going to turn off the hot water in my shower unless I need to take a shower because apparently it's dripping at like 4 gallons of hot water an hour and that's almost certainly what is driving my electric bill through the roof

this is what i'm dealing with. I can't get the thing to budge with my weak girly hands, can I use a wrench on that bolt fitting near the base of the valve?

If you mean one of the two flat parts that kinda look like a nut, the answer is no. Those are how the valve get installed, and won't really help you operate it. I'd say try using the wrench to move the valve handle, but that is likely to go wrong. Your best bet is to get your landlord to hire a plumber to fix poo poo. Double check your lease, its probably a breach by the landlord to not fix the issue, in which case, threaten to stop paying your rent/utilities until the issue is resolved.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

NitroSpazzz posted:

I bought an electronic ignition (to replace points) three years ago. I bought shocks and springs for the E21 project in August...2013. I bought sway bars on Black Friday 2013. I bought a complete parts car solely for the 5 speed transmission sometime summer 2013. I bought wheel spacers last spring and have NO idea where the hell they disappeared to. Then to screw things up I bought all new shocks/springs/struts/etc this Black Friday. I finally got the car out of the corner and started on it last week.

I know the feeling.

Yeah, I bought a nice set of drop springs for my Celica back in 2010, they are still in their original packaging, same as the shocks I bought at the same time, as well as brake calipers and other poo poo. I've got a whole box of stuff for my 855T that I bought two years ago before I discovered how bad the engine was fried. Hell, I even have a full set of tie-rods and ball-joints for the 245 that are at least a year old at this point.

At this point my collection of car parts is probably worth more than the cars :sigh:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Brigdh posted:

I'd say try using the wrench to move the valve handle, but that is likely to go wrong. Your best bet is to get your landlord to hire a plumber to fix poo poo. Double check your lease, its probably a breach by the landlord to not fix the issue, in which case, threaten to stop paying your rent/utilities until the issue is resolved.

This. Esp on a hot pipe, the thermal cycling makes the brass brittle over time and if you try to throw a bunch of brute force and ignorance at it they love to snap in ways that cause you to have to kill your whole water system. It's your landlord's problem, get them on that poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Would PB blaster or a lubricant (silicone?) do anything to help that handle move again? It looks filthy.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A cat petting simulator.

A cat. Petting. Simulator.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
neai set me straight on how to get the poo poo shut off until I can fix it/get it fixed

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

eeeeeee! :3:

Is it weird I acted out all of the actions on my cat as I went through the game?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
FOD in my tires for the first time ever. Was raining, don't have the appropriate tools to patch or replace and the tire only has 7.5k on it and I need it for work tomorrow. Took it to a pepboys and got it repaired for free? :confuoot: Apparently having a rewards card and purchasing car washing/detailing stuff is enough to get a free patch job at 8pm.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

bandman posted:

eeeeeee! :3:

Is it weird I acted out all of the actions on my cat as I went through the game?

The goon that wrote it did that while making the game, so no :3:.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm not sure how to feel about this. That is really detailed :psyduck:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Would PB blaster or a lubricant (silicone?) do anything to help that handle move again? It looks filthy.

Possibly. I've had good luck experimenting with liquid wrench and doing poo poo like putting a wrench on the handle, but it takes experience, some forethought, and a willingness to gently caress up. Tommychu has the right idea, just going at it with force and ignorance is the surest way to end up running for the main shutoff at which point the landlord is probably gonna be mighty pissed that rscott made a bigger mess.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about this. That is really detailed :psyduck:

Man, I gotta figure out how to work this Twine poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I noticed part of my roof looks like poo poo all of a sudden. It wasn't like that a week ago. How bad does it look from this (terrible) angle?

That roof needs to be replaced, but it appears that you biggest problem right now is that vent. If you can't do the whole thing right now you can at least probably stop the leaking by pulling up the shingles around it, sealing the vent and putting on some new (no way they will be even close to matching so don't even try) shingles. Then deal with the rest when it's not cold out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Woke up to my old GM calling me. His opening driver called in sick, and he couldn't find anybody to cover. I said sure, went in.

Called my home store to get my schedule for this week (our work week starts on Thursday). I'm told I'm not on the schedule. I ask why. The GM tells me "well, you seemed so unenthusiastic about working here that I decided to accept your resignation early". My response was "That's a hosed up thing to do to someone right at the holidays, especially when you know how far behind I am on bills. You could have at least called and told me. It's also drat hard to be enthusiastic when you're giving me 1-3 days [3-4 hour shifts] a week and everybody else 30+ hours. You keep telling me I can't transfer because you don't have enough drivers, but your drivers are getting 3-4 orders per shift, your labor is through the roof, and I've watched 2 drivers get promoted and 5 get hired. So why were you not at least decent enough to call me and let me know?"

He said "I'm protecting the business. Calling you doesn't do me any good. Good luck with your new venture". Told him "Merry loving Christmas". Called the DM, when the DM found out I was quitting to go to a different store he flipped his poo poo on me, but agreed to let me finish working my 2 weeks at the store I've been trying to go to for 6 months. I'm marked not for rehire.. for a franchise that owns 8 stores in the area. :haw:

When I relayed the convo to my old GM (who I was working for today), he was absolutely loving livid. Pissed enough that he's putting in his 2 weeks notice at the manager meeting tomorrow, apparently (he's just waiting on his background check to come back to go to work for Haliburton making 3x what he makes now anyway)

So I called a local place. It's a smalller chain that's mostly in northern states (Jet's Pizza), and they have a few stores here. The one in Plano is 5 minutes from home. I asked if they were hiring drivers, they said yes, I asked if the GM was in. We spoke for about 10 minutes, told me he drivers typically take 20-25 orders per shift (I'm used to 5-8, I took 17 today though), and they don't do that split-wage crap. They don't do fuel reimbursement, but they pay a flat $7.50, whether you're inside or not, and of course tips are yours. We talked availability (wide open), what kind of hours he expects (25 starting out, but if you prove yourself, you get up to 40 in a hurry), delivery area (all upper middle class), etc. The Hut is pulling some downright shady poo poo on January 1st (nobody can work over 30 hours except the GM and asst GM, but you can now get health insurance.. only if you work 35+ hours), and when asked why I wanted to leave the hut, I mentioned they were capping hours at the beginning of the year.

It kinda seemed like I was interviewing the GM to see if the place would be a good fit. :haw: When he asked when I can start, I said Monday (my last day at the Hut is Sunday). Stopped by on my way home to see if I could grab an application so I could have it filled out and ready (GM was already gone), but they were out of them. :saddowns:

In short

The upside: I found out my old store in Frisco was $200 short in cash yesterday.. lost their 3 biggest corporate contracts (that's $10-15k/week right there), and racked up more customer complaints in one day than they have all YEAR. Every customer survey was a 0, they had plenty of calls to corporate, basically poo poo was hosed. My former-now-current-until-Sunday GM showed me the numbers for the district (they go out every day as a fax to all the stores).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

That roof needs to be replaced, but it appears that you biggest problem right now is that vent. If you can't do the whole thing right now you can at least probably stop the leaking by pulling up the shingles around it, sealing the vent and putting on some new (no way they will be even close to matching so don't even try) shingles. Then deal with the rest when it's not cold out.

I don't know that it's leaking. I don't have any access above the ceiling on that section of the house. I suspect it was an addition. There haven't been any water spots on the ceiling, though.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

rscott posted:

neai set me straight on how to get the poo poo shut off until I can fix it/get it fixed

Call and bitch and bitch at your landlord.

The most likely outcome of loving with that valve is snapping the knob off, or knocking it loose only to find the valve stem start pissing. Then you'll find that it will not shut off 100% and no matter how tight you try to crank the packing nut, it'll keep pissing.

Then as mentioned before you will run to locate and (hopefully) shut off the incoming main - depending on the condition of those crusty rotten old valves.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I tried to shut off the water supply to my water heater over the summer to drain it, as part of regular maintenance, and the stem in the valve broke. I had to shut off the water to the whole house and run to Home Depot for a new valve. I replaced the shithouse gate valve with a ball valve and everything seems to be on the up and up now.

Of course, it's not my loving house anymore after the divorce, so even if it wasn't working well, I wouldn't give a gently caress :smuggo:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I don't know that it's leaking. I don't have any access above the ceiling on that section of the house. I suspect it was an addition. There haven't been any water spots on the ceiling, though.

If it not leaking now good for you.

But it will be sooner than later. Budget for a roof. The longer you wait the more it will take.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

some texas redneck posted:

So I called a local place. It's a smalller chain that's mostly in northern states (Jet's Pizza), and they have a few stores here. The one in Plano is 5 minutes from home. I asked if they were hiring drivers, they said yes, I asked if the GM was in. We spoke for about 10 minutes, told me he drivers typically take 20-25 orders per shift (I'm used to 5-8, I took 17 today though), and they don't do that split-wage crap. They don't do fuel reimbursement, but they pay a flat $7.50, whether you're inside or not, and of course tips are yours. We talked availability (wide open), what kind of hours he expects (25 starting out, but if you prove yourself, you get up to 40 in a hurry), delivery area (all upper middle class), etc. The Hut is pulling some downright shady poo poo on January 1st (nobody can work over 30 hours except the GM and asst GM, but you can now get health insurance.. only if you work 35+ hours), and when asked why I wanted to leave the hut, I mentioned they were capping hours at the beginning of the year.

It kinda seemed like I was interviewing the GM to see if the place would be a good fit. :haw: When he asked when I can start, I said Monday (my last day at the Hut is Sunday). Stopped by on my way home to see if I could grab an application so I could have it filled out and ready (GM was already gone), but they were out of them. :saddowns:

I'm gonna recommend calling that GM before going all "gently caress 2014" on that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

You're late. You hop in, throw your bag in the back, put the key in and turn it while you fumble around with your left hand in the door pocket for the ice scraper.

Thanks to the new battery you (had to) put in last night, the EJ25 turns over without hesitation. Too bad it doesn't start? After 20 seconds of cranking and mild cursing you let go of the key.

> Loudly proclaim "come on you PIECE of poo poo" while giving it another go

> Whisper kind words while cranking it again

> Sigh, pop the hood and get out

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

You chose to name your cat sdflsdlfs.
sdflsdlfs's affection for you was 13 (out of a possible 18!).
You petted her back and sides 2 times.
You petted her cheeks and chest 3 times.
Her ears were skritched 2 times.
You risked the deadly belly trap 1 times.

You achieved ending 5: Kitty smooches.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

You need to look up and utilize your landlord tenant laws to get them to do what they are legally required to. If they won't fix it you should be able to deduct the repair costs from the rent.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

goatse guy posted:

Whenever I think of Shia LeBouf, I think of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXCK1EyP4s

actING!!!! :) http://youtu.be/IxBKc3IVrps?t=30s

meatpimp posted:

You know that was real because of the gloves.

I lost my poo poo at them slowly degrading over the course of the video

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just a warning, I'll almost certainly be a blubbering mess if tears in about 40 hours. I don't deal with death well and so far this isnt real.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Just a warning, I'll almost certainly be a blubbering mess if tears in about 40 hours. I don't deal with death well and so far this isnt real.

It's okay, we understand. Remember,

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I totally didn't expect him to be in this at all, holy poo poo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
hello

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

I'm gonna recommend calling that GM before going all "gently caress 2014" on that.

The gently caress 2014 is what Pizza Hut pulled on me. Specifically, my now-former GM and the district manager.

My former-former-temporarily-current GM is pulling hard for me. He was already on the fence about putting in a 2 weeks notice before the end of the year; he said that he's putting his in this week because of this. He already has another job lined up anyway.

The local place I talked to today? After 5 minutes on the phone, the GM wants to meet me in person, so it's clear I made a decent impression. He told me what times he'll be there (11-5), I know better than to show up right at open or during the lunch rush (I've had plenty of GMs tell me that's an immediate black flag, as they're busy getting ready for lunch or getting their asses kicked during lunch), so I'll probably show up around 1:30 or 2:00.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

some texas redneck posted:

The gently caress 2014 is what Pizza Hut pulled on me. Specifically, my now-former GM and the district manager.

My former-former-temporarily-current GM is pulling hard for me. He was already on the fence about putting in a 2 weeks notice before the end of the year; he said that he's putting his in this week because of this. He already has another job lined up anyway.

The local place I talked to today? After 5 minutes on the phone, the GM wants to meet me in person, so it's clear I made a decent impression. He told me what times he'll be there (11-5), I know better than to show up right at open or during the lunch rush (I've had plenty of GMs tell me that's an immediate black flag, as they're busy getting ready for lunch or getting their asses kicked during lunch), so I'll probably show up around 1:30 or 2:00.

Go to Jet's, their pizza is loving awesome. loving deadly, but awesome. By far the heaviest pizza by slice that I've seen short of Chicago itself, but so, so good...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got a Chrysler 200 rental.

gently caress 2014.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
AMERICAS IMPORT

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Okay, so I did.

http://seat-safety-switch.itch.io/headering-them-off-at-the-pass

game posted:

You have in your backpack:

• A Felpro #1404 Exhaust Header Gasket
  • A parts store receipt

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

rscott posted:

AMERICAS IMPORT

My Mazda2 is better equipped. It's such a loving turd. If Throatwarbler is still recommending both Chryslers and VWs in the A/T thread, I'm going to report his rear end for trolling. My mind reels on how loving awful this car is.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Hmm, this feels...familiar. I stalk your blog

I'm laughing my rear end off anyway though. Holy gently caress the ending if you continue talking back to the narrator, hahahaahah

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

Go to Jet's, their pizza is loving awesome. loving deadly, but awesome. By far the heaviest pizza by slice that I've seen short of Chicago itself, but so, so good...

Echoing this. I always feel like a fatass when it gets brought to work because I can't stop eating it. TURBO CRUST!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
7000 steps / 3+ miles yesterday. Kinda surprised it was that high considering I took no extra effort. Kinda curious what I can keep an average at after this week's employee reviews are done with.

Also, this morning's poo poo basically told me we're done with leftovers. Oh god.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rscott posted:

AMERICAS IMPORT SHAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, results are in. ~450 incidents of apneas in 8 hours of sleeping.

I AM THE BEST AT SLEEP.

• Locked thread