Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I am so sore after this weekend. Stupid German cars.

The beater e39 decided to pop up a "Service Engine Soon" light as soon as we left for the inlaws on turkey day. Turned around and drove the super reliable $700 Volvo instead.
It ended up being a bad coil, and I also did the valve cover gaskets at the same time. They weren't too bad except gently caress the drivers side one as the fuel lines and aux water pump/lines are in the way.
Got my 635csi retinted for a song because I brought the shop a few cars to do (remove tint on all windows, retint with Suntek High Performance for $140). Guys did a wonderful job.

Then I helped a buddy do a partial suspension and transmission mount change on his 535i. It's got a nice home made exhaust but the cam timing seems to be a tooth off because the car is a total dog. Sounds absolutely amazing though, kinda makes me wish my cars were NA.

Other friend's 4.0l Cherokee Sport decided to lock up the rear axle (luckily right after he got off the interstate), so he bought a new base model Fiesta. He's been itching to drive it so he and his girl took me and the fiance to Gameworks in Phoenix. The trip was fun and we enjoyed ourselves, but man, Gameworks is such a rip off. Food sucked, games were meh, and half were broken. Oh well, not too terrible of an end for the long weekend. Sucks though, gotta do the grocery shopping before work tomorrow. Really not looking forward to this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Harbor freight has a big 12v one that works surprisingly well. Mine lasted about 2 years before it blew a gasket. Got it on sale for around $20 I think.

Isn't it great to wake up to a wall of text from your fiancé saying how she decided to serve to miss a coyote, clipped a bush that took out the side mirror and now the passenger door doesn't latch?

December is off to a great start.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

kastein posted:

I know he was itching to buy a Fiesta, but that was literally a $170 repair that would take the better part of a Saturday morning, including junkyarding the new axle. Hope he sold the thing instead of scrapping it so it can become someone else's wallet hemorrhaging problem... :v:

I even offered to help, but yea, he was looking for any excuse to ditch it. Plus the fiesta gets over twice the mileage he was getting!

Junkyard offered him $300, I told him craigslist it for $750 and take $500 haha

Damage to the wagon was minimal, other than the door bounces of the striker for no goddamn reason now (no visible damage), and only some of the times. I'll need a new mirror glass, the scratches add character.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

You'll be fine! You've put enough miles on it that if someone was going to break, it would have done so by now.

That said, I don't know how much it would help in a bug, but do you have a fire extinguisher? Maybe a fuel filter?

I haven't driven to havasu in about a decade, I can't remember if there were any major grades. Just take it easy and give yourself plenty of time.

blk posted:

Also if someone thinks buying salvage OEM alloys for snow tires is a terrible idea because they will likely never balance or something, please stop me now.
Is your car particularly rare? If not, I'd just look on craigslist for OEM wheels. Junkyards seem to charge a lot for OEM alloys, especially if it's a high end brand.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Viggen posted:

Huh, that '96 850 is up for auction this weekend. Bet it has a reserve of $600 or so. Anybody want a Volvo?

You don't want that.
Parts can get expensive quick and they aren't worth poo poo to try and flip.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

5 days after we resigned our lease at the current apartment.

Talk to the management? Or break the lease? I feel you'll easily make up the difference unless you're not paying poo poo for rent.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

nm posted:

You can rent someone's garage for a fraction of your rent.
This!
What are you paying in rent? Here $650/month gets you a 1200ft shop with a roll up door, office and bathroom.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Wifey brought up we should get married. I mean. he brings me beers and sometime can "cook".

Is David your wifey? Because if so, your chicken(?) looks, edible?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Screw you guys. Everyone's situation is different.

I'm doing 2 extra payments a year and that should have my mortgage wrapped up in 18yrs or so. My mortgage isn't much more than renting, and I own my beautiful house on the edge of town surrounded by the beautiful desert.

And a two car garage.

If I took you all's advice I'd never have enough to buy a home.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Nice jams!
Really enjoying them after work right now.
Reminds me of interpol, just not as boring.

So we were informed this week at work that they were looking for volunteers for a 3rd shift. They currently have a 3rd shift of two people (one runs a 5 machine cell, the other is there because contractually we're not allowed to work without someone else there). The guy that runs the 5 machines is bottom rung currently, so he was forced to go to 3rd. The other guy is a crazy cave man that's a year away from retiring (with a pension, fucker), he loves being unsupervised so he can take a million smoke breaks.

Basically no one wants to work the shift, so all of us newbies are 95% likely to be voluntold to work that shift.

Oh well, at least I'll hopefully have a chance to go to car meets in the evenings now.
I already struggle with second shift since I'm a morning person... 3rd will likely be hell. It's almost impossible for me to sleep when it is daylight.

mafoose fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 5, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

MrChips posted:

gently caress percocets

Same here. I sold mine to a guy that puts them up his nose. Made me feel so nauseous and terrible.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Network stuffs:
I've got cable internet and a Motorola docs is 3.0 modem/router/wireless ap. It really doesn't seem to like torrents, and now that I've got a Chromecast, it hates chromecasts with torrents, and usually requires a power cycle otherwise it's insanely slow and lack throughput.

Would it help to unload and use it strictly as a modem? Get something else for switching and use a ubiquity wireless ap?

Dating chat:
If you're unhappy with yourself, how do you expect someone to be happy with you?

In the end, it's about 90% mental.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Buy your own modem, get an ASUS Router, and be amazed.

Never trust the Modem/Router/WAP combos the ISP offers you. They tend to be really lovely quality

I bought it myself years ago after the ISP one took a poo poo. I think it's a Motorola SBG6580.

(I can't fix the formatting on my phone)
(Also I don't own or like apple products)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

MrChips posted:

The golden rule in aviation is to never discuss politics with the guy/girl beside you. Even if you're best friends it can make for an awkward rest of the trip. This also applies in any other line of work just as equally.

Holy poo poo this x11tybillion!

I work for a defense contractor's machine shop where the median age is probably north of 45.
I know to never, ever, bring up or discuss politics. I like a lot of the people I work with, but not enough to hang out outside of work because of the elephant in the room.
(Hint: racism and homophobia)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Tomorrow my dad and I are going to look at a $800 3/4 ton ford with a 460 and a 4 speed manual.

Looks alright in pictures and I could make my money back parting and crushing it if I needed to. Should be great for hauling junk and house stuff.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Viggen posted:

This never works. I have a 3/4 ton Chevy, and a 1/2 ton Ford sitting in the back yard, now. They work perfectly well. Waiting to cherrypick, or get another car to fix.

FOR FUCKS SAKE WHY DO IWE NEED ANOTHER ONE WHEN THE MAJOR ISSUES ARE DONE ON THE OTHERS, HUH?

Hahaha I want something to be able to haul cars from the surrounding areas but everyone wants too much for diesels around here. This truck has depreciated so much that the only way it'll go lower requires a ditch, a pole, or catastrophic engine failure.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

gently caress you guys and your beard problems. I'm part Asian, middle eastern, and Mexican, so I can't grow a full beard for poo poo.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Even here people run tires that have HUGE loving CRACKS in them like nothing is wrong. Most of the 10+ year
shitheaps have damage from blow outs anyways.

Guilty.
That reminds me, the wagon needs new front tires.

gently caress Devyl that really sucks.
Fo3, hang in there dude.
STR, at least it's not AZ. In my city, sales tax is higher than that, and their is an income tax.

And for some reason our schools and roads are still poo poo.

mafoose fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 12, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, we just elected probably the worst Arizona politician since Mecham as our superintendent thanks to people voting strictly on party lines. :cripes:

As far as the roads... You're in Tucson, right? I love that town but the problem it has is that it doesn't want to admit just how big of a city it is these days and invest appropriately in infrastructure. The public transit is just as poo poo as the Phoenix metro, but the freeway system is drat near useless for anything that isn't leaving the area altogether.

My wife used to commute five miles down Speedway to work. Our 25-mile commute up here takes less time.

Pretty much on all of the above. At least this last year Tucson has been fixing up more of the roads, and has even redone some of the worst intersections into something that seems to work better.

The roads are still pretty lovely overall, and it doesn't help that pretty much all of them have at least a 6" difference from old pavement to new. The companies they've been hiring seem like the worst bunch. Hell, by my old house the bumps are so huge in the transitions that they installed semipermanent signs.

And yea, traveling east to west is frustrating to say the least.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Hazard switch being part of the turn signal circuit is very common. I know the Japanese like to do it that way as well.

Looks like I'm getting a beater truck! $850 is getting me a 93 F250 3/4ton 460 4 speed manual truck. Guy wouldn't budge on price but it's coming with a stack of receipts and it's got a lot of good parts on it, like a big Reese hitch, overload springs, newer clutch, but it is pretty drat beat.

It's hard to find a running truck for cheaper than that here because of our proximity to Mexico. A lot of used cars head down that way, especially trucks.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

The Mexican in me is proud :)
460 with a 5 speed (OD woot) and other than tires being flat spotted from sitting it runs and drives way better than expected.

It's a blast to drive a big rear end truck when I'm used to small cars.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Well it's official. I start 3rd shift January 5th.

Not looking forward to it.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

It isn't too bad once you get used to the utter social alienation it requires to succeed. I've been on 3rd for most of a decade now, and the only hard part is realizing that none of your friends or family will ever recognize that you don't have all day to be up doing stuff just because you're at work when they're asleep. I found it took calling a few people at -my- equivalent of 5pm (6am or so) a few times to really get it into their heads that my schedule is opposite theirs when I work at 9pm.
Great. More things to look forward too! Almost as good as learning the biggest, most worthless piece of poo poo supervisor volunteered to come in at 3am (shift is from 11pm-6am). loving wonderful.

I should have had a drink tonight. We have a bunch of beer left over from the fiancé's bday get together, since everyone chose hard liquor instead. Speaking of gfs, I taught her to drive stick for her first car (an 84 318i), and she daily'd the Miata for years. She's a badass driver and I want to take her out to autocross once I'm done building a decent car. I bet she's a natural.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Doccers posted:

I just finished a 6 month contract on a night shift, (9 PM to 5 AM) The hardest thing about it is feeling out of touch with everyone you know.

if you're extremely antisocial you'll probably deal with it pretty well, but there is a bit of seasonal depression crap from never seeing the drat sun.

Keep in mind that your coworkers/supervisor will also be suffering from the same. Joy!

I already feel alienated working 2nd shift. I'm at home when everyone else is at work. I don't get to see anyone other than my dad occasionally during the week. My one saving grace to all this is that if (and that's a big if) I can fall asleep right after work, I'll be awake by the time my lady comes back from work, and we'll be able to hang out with friends before I go to work.

I already hate 2nd because I'm naturally a morning person, during Thanksgiving my sleep schedule moved from waking up at 10am to 8am in 3 days without even trying.

I have big issues with seasonal depression, which is one of the main reasons I love being in Tucson so much. Sun for days (literally).

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

I've sunburned once or twice, and thats from riding in a topless (:quagmire:) jeep on Tatooine.

Its uh. quite a feeling.

Same.
Even with my pale rear end farmers tan it's almost impossible for me to burn. I just get dark real quick.

When I do burn, holy poo poo gently caress that!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I work tomorrow and that's it until the 5th. Yay for the Christmas shutdown making it so 3 days PTO gave me 2 weeks off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

THE FUTURE IS NOW

How big is your build surface?
What machine/kit did you end up buying?

• Locked thread