Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Im with you. I just want to work on my poo poo, go to work and drink beer. Life would be pretty easy!

This is my life and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its so balls cold right now I can't do as much in the garage. So its just work and drink beer! But every thing runs right now so I'm 3 for 3!

Im spoiled with a heated shop although Im working on that Audi today to fund my own projects.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I dont get paralysis but I get brain explosions. Right as Im about to fall asleep Ill get a huge noise/light explosion in my head and it wakes me right up. Goes quite nicely with my horrible insomnia.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I just got a call from my mom. My grandma has gotten significantly worse and will probably pass away sometime during the night. They're with her right now, basically the only thing left they can do is tell her that it's OK to let go now.

She hasn't been well for years, bad circulation and failing heart valves and the last couple of months it's been pretty clear that she was simply worn out. A couple of weeks ago, she fell and hurt her shoulder so she couldn't use her walker anymore. I think that must have been the last straw.

She's my last surviving grandparent, there will be a huge gap left behind when she's gone.

gently caress 2014 :(

Aww man, sorry dude. The worst thing Ive done is not call my grandma when she was dying. I thought she had time but she died the next day after I blew it off and Im still living with that :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Fo3 posted:

2014 sucks, cold fact.
The theme for the year should be the 44 year old record "cold fact" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKYEYNX-Eug

It's just so down :( , but fits.

Man that does suck about Sir Cornelius :(

Super impressed when people know who Rodriguez is, hes so under appreciated.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Fo3 posted:

The baby boomers are going to win by working us all to death or kill us all off, or laugh it all off while we become destitute or homeless, before they all die themselves.

He was pretty big in the southern hemisphere. Toured Australia a couple of times and was apparently huge in South Africa (there's a documentary they made about finding out what happened to him)

Yea I saw that documentary. Hes an interesting person since he never wanted to be famous and still works a regular day job, IIRC.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Here's a positive thing: NASA is launching a test Orion rocket:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/4/7331859/nasa-orion-spacecraft-launch

Awesome! I thought I missed it this morning! It has another half hour launch window so Im going to be late to work, looks like.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

IM FINALLY DONE WITH LEAVES. I hate doing leaves so much, its the only part of my job that I cant stand and Im loving DONE (for this year, anyway). Meeting up with the guy that wants me to be the mechanic for flipping cars at 5 tonight and I start my new winter job washing dishes tomorrow night which I'm looking forward to.

Also they are probably going to fix my dads Roush so it might not be totalled.

fuck2014slightlyless.gif

Also Fo3 please stick around. 10 years ago a week before my mom died one of my best friends killed himself over a girl. I still miss him so much :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So after talking to the guy about the cars hes gonna have me get some of the ones he owns running first. 72 Javelin, 63 and 67 Oldsmobile and making sure the 48 Roadmaster that I worked on a few years ago is still ready to sell. Then he wants to sell the Javelin and Roadmaster to buy a Hellcat that I will get to drive and holy poo poo Im pretty stoked about that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Mat_Drinks posted:

2015 keeps looking up for everyone, drat I'm jealous! You'll have to post a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of snapchats of that Hellcat once you have access to one.

Oh god yes, Im busting out the gopro for that one with the remote mic near the exhaust like I did with the C10. I hope he does get it cause its either that or the regular SRT8. I'm not complaining if its just the SRT but still, Hellcat.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

If I had the money, I would offer to take that 72 Javelin off his hands regardless of condition. Its way up there on the whole "list of cars I will own some day".

Its wicked mint, all of his cars are really nice and very original except for the Roadmaster although he has a stock one too that hes not selling. Only thing that sucks about the Javelin is its a 292/auto on the column. Still a fantastic looking car though.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Any chance for a picture or pictures of it? Either just sitting or as he has you working on it? :allears:

This is the only one I have right now, a bad phone pic when I texted it to my friend.

And the 63

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Horse Divorce posted:

I've got a 71 Javelin in my garage waiting for my brother to get back from Air Forcing in Alaska. It's nowhere near that good.

I think you're right. 68 or 69 maybe. Unless he's done something like swap out the grill and fenders and stuff but I doubt it.

Oh yea you guys are right. 72 would have the big front fenders. Maybe he said 70 but now I dont remember. Him and his dad werent the type to swap something like that so its whatever year it is, haha.

When is your brother getting back? Itd be cool to see more Javelins in AI.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Thats honestly been bugging me. They swapped to the more curved aero look in 71, so 70 would make much more sense but I am not an expert in these things, I just like drooling over the cars, regardless of year.

I just looked up 68-70 and I cant tell the difference yet.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea its not a 70 at least, the blinkers in the bumper are different in the dudes.

e: and I forgot that in 71 they got the awesome front fenders.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 7, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

The 68s and 69s seem to have that style of blinker in the bumper. Beyond that, I've got no clue.

Yea it has to be a 68 or 69.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yep! I knew there was some detail we had to be missing. Good call MonkeyNutZ

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

So a long short story to explain why today was pretty awesome:

I reconnected with an old friend about 6 weeks ago. He saw my contact info on Facebook and gave me a buzz, I found out he was in the hospital about 3 hours away.

Went to visit, found out he is in late stages of AIDS. He wasn't getting the care he needed, family had cut him off because GAY, was living alone in the middle of nowhere.

Was heartbroken and made some calls when I got back home. Rounded up good medical care options, good community groups that could help and that he could give back to. Told him if he was willing, I could put him up for a couple of weeks if he wanted to investigate the resources and consider a move.

Today was moving day. He's been seeing a local clinic specializing in AIDS care, and they've been able to resuscitate his kidneys (creatine has dropped from 4.6 - near failure - to 2.9 and he's been able to pee without a catheter intermittently for the first time in 3 years). They swapped up his HIV meds and it seems to be helping. Also addressed some other miscellaneous blood issues impacting his health.

He has an apartment and some great people helped him move in today. I'm looking forward to helping him unpack over the next few weeks.

He's also reconnected with his family, and while there is a lot of work left there, progress is tangible.

As if all of that weren't awesome enough: he is the king of awesome stuff. He gave me tons of old school MTV swag along with other cool TV and movie memorabilia. He also gave me his video collection which he promises is full of cool random stuff. About 500 Beta and VHS from the 70s - early 90s.

So far, the one tape I dropped into my conversion rig was an audition tape for voice actors for the Snuggle Bear commercials. It was both awesome and frightening at the same time. I'll have to throw that one up on YouTube soon.

I also may buy some of his other cool swag, including a new in box Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Genesis, and a gazillion games.

Did I also mention he has a freaking Lambchop puppet? Like one of the real Shari Lewis ones? And a real Elmo puppet? And remember the Pets.com puppet? Yep, one of those too.

Moving was amazing - just peeking in every box to figure out what room things should go in brought a new surprise.

We worked together many moons ago in TV - me as an intern, he as a writer. I knew he had exposure to some cool things because he gave me some cool experiences. But I had no idea he had been hoarding random bits and pieces all those years.

Anyway, today (and the past weeks of helping) have been a bright spot in an otherwise crappy year.

He still has challenges ahead, but at least now he has a fighting chance to start living again.

This is great, you are great for helping your friend so much :3:

KozmoNaut posted:

I just got the message that grandma died 20 minutes ago :(

My aunt (who works at another retirement home) was with her and noticed that she was getting critical, so they managed to get most of the family there to hold her hand and say the proper goodbyes and that it was OK to stop fighting and let go.

I'm grabbing a few things and heading over there right now. It's a 1.5 hour drive, but I feel like I really need to be there for them, especially my dad. He's a bit wooden usually when it comes to showing emotions, but losing one's remaning parent is a tough blow for anyone.

Sorry about your grandma and yes its the worst to lose a parent so youre doing good by being there for your dad.

e: spellin'

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 7, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Just watched the first Black Mirror episode last night and it is awesome. That first one was like...whoah.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That is giving me ideas for the C10. I definitely want to drive around with my name painted on the side.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Man this thread got gross O_O

e: not as bad as 13 inches lung chunk though

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

rscott posted:

I'm looking to get a decent set of earbuds for the gym/doing active things in the $50 range, what should I get?

Ive tried out a ton of earbuds since I use them all day at work outside in the $20-$80 range and the best ones Ive found for sound and durability are the $20 Sonys. Mine dont have a model number on them but they have a yellow cord. The set I have now has lasted for 2 years so far when all the others lasted maybe one season before one channel would stop working or they started sounding like crap. The best sounding ones were Bob Marley branded ones and they were made of wood, haha. They sounded really, really good but didn't last.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Phone posted:

I can't stop listening to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8&t=37s

I'm ready to work on the Lexus again. :/

This is awesome, definitely getting the album.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

leica posted:

I watched All Is Lost on Netflix the other day, for a movie with almost no dialog it was pretty drat good. Redford is a great actor.

Yea that movie was great. If you havent seen it yet check out The Way Back. Its about some people that break out of a WWII prison camp in Siberia and walk all the way to Tibet. Its amazing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Sorry about the catte dude!

Christmas is a sad time for me. My mum committed suicide and they turned the life support off in xmas day so that's the bad bit! I have a three year old boy who is stoked for Xmas and a week old girl who is his fav present so it's an emotional roller coaster for me.

Yea Christmas is sad for me like that too. My moms birthday was Christmas eve and she died of cancer 10 years ago. My nephew is just about the age where he likes cars and trucks and tractors so Im going to get him some stuff like that this year and Im sure it will cheer me up seeing him so happy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My nephew absolutely loved the matchbox cars I got him. All he did was play with them until it was time to go home. Hes totally hooked and Im so proud of the little guy. My sister was going to leave the cars in the box until they got home but he just kept dancing around with the boxes until we opened them. It was so adorable :3:

Merry Christmas, fuckers! Best car forum on the internet right here.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Got married today. feels weird man.

I checked my mailbox and didnt see an invite so Im kinda sad about that.

(Congrats man!)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

Are the Lions winning? :ohdear:

Not yet, down by 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I got this as a late Christmas present, 2014 aint so bad anymore!

• Locked thread