Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will be 0-8 Florida A&M's first win in December?
This poll is closed.
South Carolina State 3 5.26%
Miskatonic 18 31.58%
North Florida 1 1.75%
Florida International 3 5.26%
Trick question, there's no such school as Florida A&M 32 56.14%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Month Two.

Kentucky still pulling their Platoon bullshit and probably won't just call it a rotation until January, Coach K got win number five thousand or whatever, Arizona pulled some victories out of their rear end, and last year's champion Connecticut is on a two-game losing streak. So what's next?

Games to watch

Syracuse v. Michigan - Dec. 2

Did you know that Jim Boeheim's and Jim Belien's combined age (131) is older than the length of basketball's existence (123)? Crazy world we live in.

Ohio State v. Louisville - Dec. 2

Word is that Papa John and Urban Meyer are going to show up and have a bad pizza eat-off.

Wisconsin v. Duke - Dec. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwuaG-ojLQ8

Texas v. Kentucky - Dec. 5

Two lengthy teams lengthening it up.

Florida v. Kansas - Dec. 5

Florida has yet to beat a team that didn't have a state/city combo in its name or "&" in its title. They'll be hungry.

Virginia v. VCU - Dec. 6

Ah, yes, the Battle for Old Farmer Montgomery's Pitchfork. (That's probably not the nickname for this game.)

Louisville v. Indiana - Dec. 9

The game that decides whether SAS hates Crean or Pitino more. (The answer is tie.)

Iowa St. v. Iowa - Dec. 12

At some point in this game, a gangly white guy is going to make a layup.

North Carolina v. Kentucky - Dec 13

Chances Vitale works this game - 110%. Chances that he will bring up Duke during it - 150%. Chances that he will do a ten-minute long spiel about a storefront Santa he saw on the way to Rupp? Over 200%.

Gonzaga v. UCLA - Dec. 13

Of course this game would start at 10PM EST.

Duke v. Connecticut - Dec. 18

There's not actually going to be a game then, they're just going to sit in a circle and reminisce about the time they beat Butler in a CG.

Kentucky v. UCLA - Dec. 20

John Wooden rises from grave to taunt Calipari. Calipari smugly points out that at least his generational big men get to dunk.

North Carolina v. Ohio State - Dec. 20

Ummm... Tar Heels and Buckeyes are kinda funny names. I dunno.

Kentucky v. Louisville - Dec. 27

Either way, a couch is going to burn.

And some others.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Well, if you look at it from a long term perspective, it's actually really great that UConn lost twice in a row. It will make Kevin Ollie less attractive to the NBA and prolong UConn's relevance.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's not going to be pretty, but UCLA plays Gonzaga on the 13th and then UK a week later.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm looking at Mizzou's schedule and I think they're going to enter conference play with 6 wins (SEMO, Elon, and Lipscomb coming up) :negative:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Kentucky and UNC play on the 13th and should be a good game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Iowa St. v. Iowa - Dec. 12

At some point in this game, a gangly white guy is going to make a layup.

More like a gangly white guy is going to put his nuts in some fool's face.

Aaron White is the best. When he fails to make the NBA I want him to travel from playground to playground in a White Men Can't Jump-esque scheme that leads to thousands of people being embarassed by a gangly ginger with acne dunking on them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

More like a gangly white guy is going to put his nuts in some face.

Go on...

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

VDay posted:

It's not going to be pretty, but UCLA plays Gonzaga on the 13th and then UK a week later.

vikingstrike posted:

Kentucky and UNC play on the 13th and should be a good game.

Added to OP. I was pushing ctl+f through someone's Top Non-Con Games to Watch article, and I think I thought that UCLA's two losses were to worse opponents then they actually were, so a mix of miss-ups got those omitted. There's probably some more, but I don't want the OP to be too lengthy. Assume that good basketball is happening all the time. (It's not.)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU and NC State should be pretty good on Dec 20th at MSG

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Louisville might really literally beat Indiana by 40 points and I'm not exaggerating

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tonight's challenge games are crap.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU lost to Arizona and moved from 16th up to 12th in the AP poll

:iiam:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

SDSU lost to Arizona and moved from 16th up to 12th in the AP poll

:iiam:

Michigan went from 19 to 17 after losing to 'Nova.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
how the heck did Iowa even get matched up with UNC, that is some horseshit. We should get to play like Clemson or something. Is it because of Marcus Paige? gently caress you Marcus Paige.

The challenge is dumb and I hate it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yeah, I saw that the other day and was real confused.

I'd rather Michigan play UNC than Syracuse. That zone is going to give the freshmen a ton of trouble.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Syracuse isn't that good and you have a bunch of dudes who should be able to shoot over the zone. You'll be fine. We'd have beaten them if we hadn't spent most of the game chucking the ball into the dang stands or kicking it out of bounds.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

MourningView posted:

how the heck did Iowa even get matched up with UNC, that is some horseshit. We should get to play like Clemson or something. Is it because of Marcus Paige? gently caress you Marcus Paige.

The challenge is dumb and I hate it.
How do they even determine challenge matchups, anyway? I was never clear on how that worked.

I guess the SEC is doing its weird unbalanced challenge thing with the Big 12 that exists for some reason.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basil Hayden posted:

How do they even determine challenge matchups, anyway? I was never clear on how that worked.

I guess the SEC is doing its weird unbalanced challenge thing with the Big 12 that exists for some reason.

I thought I remembered reading that they more or less do it based on expected order of finish with the caveat that ESPN has final say on all matchups, so they can put together matchups that make for good TV.

I don't know that that explains the UNC-Iowa matchup though.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Basil Hayden posted:

Money. And it's going to be a poo poo show.

2014 SEC / BIG 12 CHALLENGE
Wednesday, December 3
Auburn at Texas Tech

Thursday, December 4
Arkansas at Iowa State
Baylor at Vanderbilt
LSU at West Virginia
TCU at Mississippi

Friday, December 5
Florida at Kansas
Missouri at Oklahoma
Texas at Kentucky

Saturday, December 6
Kansas State at Tennessee
Oklahoma State at South Carolina

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
In other generic white guy news, Connor Frankamp is transferring from KU to Wichita State. Nice little get for Gregg Marshall and WSU.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Illinois now ranked in both polls, woot.

I think we're legit pretty good this year.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Duke also plays Wisconsin on Wednesday which is probably the biggest game this month

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Sponsored arena names have now hit home and this time, they have gone too far!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That sucks. Hopefully they get to host the tournament again. Too bad they'll never host another regional / Final Four.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can still call it the pit if you want to. Little known fact: the University of Michigan's football stadium is not actually named "the Big House"

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

Kull the Conqueror posted:

that is terrible, but its still not as bad as the KFC Yum! Center

also:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
B1G supremacy

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

stimpy posted:

that is terrible, but its still not as bad as the KFC Yum! Center
I'm actually kind of surprised there's still no nickname for the place.

I guess, if nothing else, "Yum Center" is at least short.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

2014 SEC / BIG 12 CHALLENGE
Wednesday, December 3
Auburn at Texas Tech

Thursday, December 4
Arkansas at Iowa State
Baylor at Vanderbilt
LSU at West Virginia
TCU at Mississippi

Friday, December 5
Florida at Kansas
Missouri at Oklahoma
Texas at Kentucky

Saturday, December 6
Kansas State at Tennessee
Oklahoma State at South Carolina

Look at this boring rear end poo poo.

Posers

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Basil Hayden posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised there's still no nickname for the place.

I guess, if nothing else, "Yum Center" is at least short.
I was living in louisville when it opened and I remember some people were calling it "the bucket" but I don't think it ever caught on.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Arkansas @ Iowa State should be pretty good

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

You can still call it the pit if you want to. Little known fact: the University of Michigan's football stadium is not actually named "the Big House"

It never was. The Pit is the actual name of UNM's arena. This is more akin to Comiskie Park becoming U.S. Cellular Field or something. There will eventually be old New Mexico basketball fans (is that a thing?) angrily calling it The Pit while an ESPN commentator bellows "WisePies Arena is one of the toughest environments in basketball!" It's up there with Sleep Train Arena or the KFC Yum! Center.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

It never was. The Pit is the actual name of UNM's arena. This is more akin to Comiskie Park becoming U.S. Cellular Field or something. There will eventually be old New Mexico basketball fans (is that a thing?) angrily calling it The Pit while an ESPN commentator bellows "WisePies Arena is one of the toughest environments in basketball!" It's up there with Sleep Train Arena or the KFC Yum! Center.

i bet people still mostly call it the pit

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Just like most people still call "the Cell" Comiskey.

I'm looking forward to Indiana-Pitt tonight; it'll be interesting win or lose.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The ACC is going to get taken to the woodshed this year (in the challenge). And I say that as a complete ACC homer.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Henchman of Santa posted:

ESPN still calls Michigan Stadium 'The Big House'...?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fisticuffs posted:

Louisville might really literally beat Indiana by 40 points and I'm not exaggerating

only if you guys have a major turnover problem. we haven't been able to run halfcourt offense for poo poo thus far

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Indiana is much better with turnovers but so far they're allowing opponents to shoot over 50% and the best team we've played to this point is SMU without one of their best players. Indiana's defense is softer than table butter, I really don't know what to say. No offense is too crappy to score at will on Indiana, I don't think we've allowed less than a point per possession all year. It's truly ghastly. Maybe they'll show up better for Pitt since it's a name opponent? Maybe?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Fisticuffs posted:

Indiana is much better with turnovers but so far they're allowing opponents to shoot over 50% and the best team we've played to this point is SMU without one of their best players. Indiana's defense is softer than table butter, I really don't know what to say. No offense is too crappy to score at will on Indiana, I don't think we've allowed less than a point per possession all year. It's truly ghastly. Maybe they'll show up better for Pitt since it's a name opponent? Maybe?

Yeah, but Eastern Washington happened and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I don't get it, he's not really making excuses for Indiana...

• Locked thread