Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will be 0-8 Florida A&M's first win in December?
This poll is closed.
South Carolina State 3 5.26%
Miskatonic 18 31.58%
North Florida 1 1.75%
Florida International 3 5.26%
Trick question, there's no such school as Florida A&M 32 56.14%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Fisticuffs posted:

Who will Memphis hire in the offseason?

Pastner's 2.65 mil a year is guaranteed until 2020. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Do you need other exhibits as to why its completely believable?

This is a really dumb thing to harp on for multiple posts just loving shut up already andichu goddamn

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Fisticuffs posted:

Who will Memphis hire in the offseason?
Josh Pastner is a saint :colbert:

I am so happy he's never coming home

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I said VCU was ranked too high and you guys didn't believe me but I forgive you

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Benne posted:

All these top 20 teams going down is suddenly making me feel better about UW's chances against SDSU tomorrow

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Prepare to die

SporkOfTruth posted:

Bwahahahah, y'all couldn't beat UCI last year. SDSU is going to have Husky for dinner.

:smugdog:

Go Dawgs, Block City bitch, wish we could actually score consistently because this isn't working every game, but gently caress it feels good to not only beat a top 15 team but embarrass them. This defense is legit.

Gringo Mystique
Aug 28, 2000

Law should be like death, which spares no one.
All teams are inferior to your University of Kentucky Wildcats. Go ahead ahead and stop posting about said inferior teams.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Henchman of Santa posted:

:ssh: he's a West Virginia fan

Nice try we all know West Virginia doesn't have fans.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Goddammit 2014, 49-36 is not an acceptable score. Neither is any score from a Virginia game. I say from here on out, every team is mandated to play like VMI.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU hasn't played that poorly in like seven years.

Congrats UW fans. PS I like your city

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU won an ugly as hell game at Northern Kentucky that thankfully no one saw. I expect us to drop at least close to out of the top 25. Our shooting is just godawful.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
We all woke up in a world where NJIT still beat Michigan this weekend.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

We all woke up in a world where NJIT still beat Michigan this weekend.

I'm really sad that no one cares enough about regular season college basketball for that to be as lasting a thing as when the football team lost to App St, because it's about as funny.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It's actually a lot funnier

UVA beat two ranked teams on the road comfortably. Good rear end week

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
When I saw the thread post the score, I thought not that NJIT, and then yes, yes it was that NJIT.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

I'm really sad that no one cares enough about regular season college basketball for that to be as lasting a thing as when the football team lost to App St, because it's about as funny.

It's waaaay funnier. I think it has to be one of the biggest upsets ever. Like at least App St was a really good FCS team that season. NJIT is HORRIBLE.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
What would even be some upsets that rival it? Most of the big teams (Florida, UK, UNC, Syracuse, etc.) all have some bad early losses within the last 5 years or so. Duke and Kansas have embarrassing tournament losses. I don't think any of these are close though. NJIT is horrrrrrible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ungratek posted:

If people still insist that UVa plays boring basketball, then they didn't watch us against VCU. Or Maryland.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

vikingstrike posted:

What would even be some upsets that rival it? Most of the big teams (Florida, UK, UNC, Syracuse, etc.) all have some bad early losses within the last 5 years or so. Duke and Kansas have embarrassing tournament losses. I don't think any of these are close though. NJIT is horrrrrrible.

By point spread the closest comparison is Gardner Webb over UK but IIRC announcers said this point spread was bigger than that one so this is worst loss ever territory

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JRizzle posted:

It's waaaay funnier. I think it has to be one of the biggest upsets ever. Like at least App St was a really good FCS team that season. NJIT is HORRIBLE.

It's a way bigger disparity of talent but it also does not mean anything.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

vikingstrike posted:

I forget, have any SWAC teams pulled upsets over big teams lately? That entire conference is ungodly awful on a yearly basis nowadays (as in multiple teams only winning OOC games against non-DI opponents awful—for example, Alcorn State has something like one OOC win against a DI team in the last decade).

I know Oregon State has taken a lot of stupid losses in recent years (Coppin State, Idaho, Seattle like three times, Texas Southern, Utah Valley) but they don't really count as a "big team" I don't think.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Fisticuffs posted:

By point spread the closest comparison is Gardner Webb over UK but IIRC announcers said this point spread was bigger than that one so this is worst loss ever territory

I still have nightmares about that Gardner Webb game.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Everything I've seen has said that this was the biggest upset since the Gardner Webb game, I think this was a 24.5 point spread and Gardner Webb was +26. Not sure if there have been any bigger than the Gardner Webb one, you would think there must have been at some point. Was there a line on that famous Chaminade/Virginia game?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

OctoberBlues posted:

Everything I've seen has said that this was the biggest upset since the Gardner Webb game, I think this was a 24.5 point spread and Gardner Webb was +26. Not sure if there have been any bigger than the Gardner Webb one, you would think there must have been at some point. Was there a line on that famous Chaminade/Virginia game?
I don't believe there was. There were barely even journalists at that game, if I recall correctly, outside of local Hawaii guys.

I also don't think there have been many upsets of that size, period; when Norfolk State knocked Mizzou out of the tournament as a 15 seed the spread was something like 22.

Basil Hayden fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 8, 2014

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm Very Happy Billy Gillispie is no longer the coach at Kentucky.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

N: So there was an altercation at a notorious bar called the Cave in Lawrence (where Thomas Robinson punched out a bouncer) and Kansas starting big Jamari Traylor was asked by a cop to provide ID and despite demonstrative evidence in this country lately that maybe you should go ahead and show it no matter what the law says he refused and was arrested for interfering in a police investigation. He isn't playing against Georgetown now.

V: Here's those minutes for Oubre everybody wanted.

edit: these are rumors, for posterity

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 8, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JRizzle posted:

Football upsets will always be way bigger unless it's a tournament game. Michigan was No. 5 in the country and had Rose Bowl if not championship aspirations when App State took them out. It was almost a miracle that they recovered enough to finish 9-4. Basketball is a sport where one team shooting hot and the other shooting cold can cause crazy upsets all the time (which is why March Madness is what it is), and they ultimately mean nothing except for a slightly lowered RPI come tourney time.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Football upsets will always be way bigger unless it's a tournament game. Michigan was No. 5 in the country and had Rose Bowl if not championship aspirations when App State took them out. It was almost a miracle that they recovered enough to finish 9-4. Basketball is a sport where one team shooting hot and the other shooting cold can cause crazy upsets all the time (which is why March Madness is what it is), and they ultimately mean nothing except for a slightly lowered RPI come tourney time.

NJIT shot the ball very very very well (best i've seen in some time) and Michigan shot like poo poo outside of LeVert. It sucks, but it is what it is. Michigan isn't missing the tourney and hopefully this is a wakeup call to the Freshman who think they can sleepwalk through opponents.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Regnevelc posted:

NJIT shot the ball very very very well (best i've seen in some time) and Michigan shot like poo poo outside of LeVert. It sucks, but it is what it is. Michigan isn't missing the tourney and hopefully this is a wakeup call to the Freshman who think they can sleepwalk through opponents.

It reminded me of Beilein losing to Northeastern his second year here: http://wvustats.com/sport/mbasketball/game/17473

But that was a way different situation.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Regnevelc posted:

Seriously, I doubt that Damon Lynn will ever have a game like that again in his life.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

NC State beats Wake Forest to take sole possession of first place in the ACC.

Wake actually looks much improved, though it won't show up in their record this year. They hung around the whole game and if their main guys other than Wilbekin could hit free throws they would have made it pretty dicey.

This is true. I think Manning is a good hire because he's killing it on recruiting and Wilbekin looks awesome but was totally under the radar and had committed to Tulsa (e.g. Manning) before the Wake hire.

People are getting their panties in a wad about this start among the Wake fanbase and it's really pissing me off.

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

I still have nightmares about that Gardner Webb game.

Me too.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Seriously, I doubt that Damon Lynn will ever have a game like that again in his life.

Yeah, Michigan lost to Penn State two years ago and Charlotte last year.

It blows, but I'm not too worried about it.

People forget that Michigan only has 3 upperclassmen on their roster and one of them is Max Bielfeldt. They are still a really really young team.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Michigan had another good night it appears

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, Michigan lost to Penn State two years ago and Charlotte last year.

It blows, but I'm not too worried about it.

People forget that Michigan only has 3 upperclassmen on their roster and one of them is Max Bielfeldt. They are still a really really young team.

Conference upsets get almost everyone at some point (MSU's Breslin Center winning streak was ended by Northwestern of all teams) and Charlotte is usually a decent squad.

Now losing to NJIT and Eastern in consecutive games before heading to Tucson might actually be worrisome. But they will probably recover enough to be a tournament team.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If people still insist that UVa plays boring basketball, then they didn't watch us against VCU. Or Maryland.

You're one of the best five teams in the country (imo), you don't need to lie about being interesting

I'm not being salty either, your objectively great team is really loving boring and that's okay

Ungratek posted:

VCU fell out of the top 25 after they dropped one to Villanova and then another to ODU

They're still the probable A10 champions though so it'll still be a good win

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Virginia and Wisconsin fans being defensive and trying to pretend that they aren't really slow and boring just because they are also good is really funny. Michigan being bad and losing to no ones is also really funny.

Iowa smashed their second straight bottom of the barrel cupcake last night. They intentionally scheduled the two easiest games of the year in between UNC and ISU which is probably a good idea. Hard to say what they'll do against ISU. They were basically even with them last year and ISU looks pretty beatable so far aside from the Arkansas game. But their offense is great when it's clicking and they can always catch fire from three so it's hard to know. I think we're definitely the best defense they've played so far, and we have a big size advantage. Unfortunately our offense is prone to long stretches of nothing so if they do catch fire we could have trouble catching up. I'm glad it's at home.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Michigan women's basketball team was also embarrassed last night by a bunch of nerds from New Jersey.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2014/12/09/michigan-womens-basketball-princeton/20169371/

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Cruel and Unusual posted:

The Michigan women's basketball team was also embarrassed last night by a bunch of nerds from New Jersey.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2014/12/09/michigan-womens-basketball-princeton/20169371/

Good. Their coach is a huge bitch.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Ungratek posted:

Michigan had another good night it appears

It depends on who you're talking about. Michigan as a program had an ugly loss, but their fans can take solace in the fact that their alma mater got a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

hahaha

Declan MacManus posted:

You're one of the best five teams in the country (imo), you don't need to lie about being interesting

I'm not being salty either, your objectively great team is really loving boring and that's okay

VCU fell out of the top 25 after they dropped one to Villanova and then another to ODU

They're still the probable A10 champions though so it'll still be a good win

We currently have the third slowest tempo in the NCAA. It's boring, but I don't care because it's proving to be incredibly effective. Pack Line Defense yo

• Locked thread