Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Swags posted:

IK's history is an incredible gently caress fest that you just sort of slog through to get to the good part, which is playing the game. Also, only play with Iosans and Rhulics, because every other nation is boring.

Objection: everything Hordes.

Skorne, the Blindwater Congregation and the Legion of Everblight especially.

Apparently the Hordes book for IKRPG will include rules to play a Blindwater gatorman. (Has it come out yet?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Objection: everything Hordes.

Skorne, the Blindwater Congregation and the Legion of Everblight especially.

Apparently the Hordes book for IKRPG will include rules to play a Blindwater gatorman. (Has it come out yet?)

Okay, this is true. Skorne and Blindwater (not so much Everblight, which is just a boring Cthulhu-dragon wankfest) is really awesome, as is the Circle and the Trolls.

And no, Unleashed hasn't come out yet. Yes it will have gatorman rules, as well as (from what I've heard), Tharn, humans, Nyss, bog trogs, boggrin, and maybe Skorne. From what I've seen, they're saying it's incompatible with IKRPG because of power levels (warlocks are just so much stronger than warcasters to start off) but I'll have to look it over and see if that's true.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Swags posted:

Okay, this is true. Skorne and Blindwater (not so much Everblight, which is just a boring Cthulhu-dragon wankfest) is really awesome, as is the Circle and the Trolls.

The interesting thing to me about Everblight is their recruitment method. There's no brainwashing, there's nothing like that at all - being Tainted just feels really good. So people join up, get the taint and obey because holy poo poo this feels amazing.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

The interesting thing to me about Everblight is their recruitment method. There's no brainwashing, there's nothing like that at all - being Tainted just feels really good. So people join up, get the taint and obey because holy poo poo this feels amazing.

This isn't even supported in a vast majority of the fluff. Being tainted feels like getting radically mutated in a painful, sickening way in a lot of stuff. I think it only feels good if Everblight personally likes you.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We can at least agree that Skorne and Blindwater own.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

We can at least agree that Skorne and Blindwater own.

I sold my Trolls. I'm still trying to sell my Skorne.

But I will never, ever sell my Blindwater. They're so awesome.

edit: Also, I think Unleashed has rules for playing as pygmy trolls.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
From what I can tell, the "It's not going to be balanced/compatible with IKRPG" is a Privateer press forum interpretation of them saying "We're not going to balance the games assuming that PCs from one game will be in parties with from PCs from the other" at Gencon and then everyone going full Chicken little on interpreting that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Warlocks were just going to be Better, and they didn't care. It's a big red flag in an industry that routinely sucks off wizards while telling the sword-mans that doing a boring thing twice is fun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

From what I can tell, the "It's not going to be balanced/compatible with IKRPG" is a Privateer press forum interpretation of them saying "We're not going to balance the games assuming that PCs from one game will be in parties with from PCs from the other" at Gencon and then everyone going full Chicken little on interpreting that.

Well, that worked so well for White Wolf...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, that worked so well for White Wolf...

Well, it pretty much did work out fine in the nWoD.

It seems like "make X versus Y interactions take place in the same ruleset" was more important than "balance the guy who can turn into a big dog against the girl who can fling Learjets with her chanting." That was the really irritating thing in the oWoD, all the powers that would shut down other splats because they didn't have a specified method of defense even if it didn't really seem like a fun mechanic.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

moths posted:

Warlocks were just going to be Better, and they didn't care. It's a big red flag in an industry that routinely sucks off wizards while telling the sword-mans that doing a boring thing twice is fun.

Except no one ever said that on Privateer's end, all they said was, "It's going to be focusing more on internal balance rather than balancing between the two lines". So this could be something as simple as "Warlocks start with a free warbeast because their powers need one to work, Warcasters don't get a free jack because theirs don't," There's basically not enough info to go on at this point.

Every other bit like "It's not going to be compatible" is the opposite of what they've actually said.

(Something that's worth actual worry is the fact they think the Thamarite career is an example of internally balanced)

Actually, here's what they've said most recently. :

PPS_Goetz posted:

I can promise you this will not be the case. [When someone was talking about career power bloat] The careers in Unleashed will certainly be different, and that difference makes it important that we consider them in the context of other Unleashed careers foremost. Your Full Metal Fantasy characters won't be uniformly outdone by the new careers. We've run playtests involving characters from both books to make sure this isn't the case.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 30, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's absolutely not the quote anyone reacted to. I'll see if I can find the right one, but ugh it's a loving mess of search terms.

e:

Sulecrist posted:

IKRPG seminar highlights:

-"Something is in the works" related to the old IKRPG model line.
-Unleashed has ~8 races and ~30 careers. Some overlap with Full Metal Fantasy.
-Warlocks are sort of intentionally more powerful than anyone else.
-The book is pretty lighthearted, since it's super violent and anything else would be too horrible.
-Amazing art. AMAZING.
-Emphasis on survival. Rules for freezing to death, starving to death, etc.
-Bone grinding as an analog to mekanika. You have to get the bits yourself.

A lot of what was said doesn't translate very well to bullet points. I can answer questions if you have them. Long story short I'm incredibly excited.

Fyrbrand posted:

Yes, and the reason given was that they don't care about trying to maintain some perfect nebulous balance between all the classes. It's an RPG, not a tabletop competitive war game.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 30, 2014

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm a big fan of IK's dual-class system, if for no other reason than it makes it very, very hard to make a one-trick pony because, at a minimum, your character will be good at at least two things. While it's entirely possible to double-up on careers that are focused on similar things, all the careers are good enough at what they're supposed to be good at that well-rounded is usually the smart way to go. A Rifleman/Soldier is going to be great at shooting things with guns and terrible at everything else, but a Rifleman/Investigator is going to be pretty good at shooting guns as well as a more useful guy to have around.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I agree, for the most part.

My main complaints with the game, if they could be called a complaints is that their release schedule is really slow and I want more and more careers introduced. A doctor-ish/professor-ish one, specially, would be nice. I don't like the Explorer in either of those roles. Also, some of the race write-ups just loving -suck-. Ogrun and Gobbers, I'm looking at you. And I can't believe that we still don't have a fighting korune class yet. We've got the labor korune, but if you want to play an Ogrun like Gudrun the Wanderer, there's nothing for that, but there should be since korune/bokor are such a huge part of their whole culture.

Oh, and we need more Rhul/Ios/Skorne stuff, since they're the best. Anime elves and desert elves and beards. Let's do this.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

As near as I can tell you're not actually disagreeing with me much; everyone actually from Privateer press has been saying "We're focusing on internal balance for the new game", everything else has been folks on their forums assuming that means it's going to be "Warlocks are more powerful, the first game will be obsolete" and what you just quoted are two folks on their forums, not anyone actually working on the game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Except that I quoted two posters, from this very thread, who attended the Gencon IKRPG seminar.

Maybe there was enough backlash that they've reeled in Warlocks since then.

Edit: it's totally possible that the presenter communicated the wrong message, and I don't doubt that the PP forums are overreacting. Based on the tiny fragment of information we have, it doesn't sound promising.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Have a chat thread from the future! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691643

• Locked thread