Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vasudus posted:

Not being involved in Facebook ever is probably one of the best decisions I've made.

Every time I hear a person tell an anecdote that involves something someone "said" on facebook, I die a little inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

krispykremessuck posted:

no that's what a smoker is for you chump

Zeris posted:

While watching you two in Williams Sonoma I will perform a food demo and jerk off into my le creuset dutch oven and whisk it into a roux for slow baked mac n cheese because my slow cooker is already making pulled pork which is WHAT IT WAS loving INTENDED FOR

I will make pork adobo out of ribs, or maybe a pot roast in the crockpot, and those are great applications but I will agree that any variation on barbecue (assuming you would describe that pulled pork as "bbq") necessarily involves smoke and or flame at some point. I don't want to sperg out about regional variations or the literal definition of the word barbecue but pulled pork or for that matter carnitas will never come out of a crock pot.

acceptable barbecue styles: (not exhaustive, of course)
carolina pit-cooked pork
texas hardwood-smoked brisket, ribs et al
santa maria tri tip
lechon/kailua/babi guleng/roast pig in whatever language
parilla/churrasco - Brazilian barbecue rules

what I'm trying to say here is that you're not eating pulled pork, you're eating boiled pork with ketchup

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

god loving damnit

I finally got around to looking at google earth and measuring out the distance between my company's AO in OIF2/3 and the center of the burn pit at Balad. 2 miles southeast.

approximately how hosed are my lungs before the extra decade of nonfilters, 8 years of weed, and a shitload of diesel exhaust from the service, and how hosed are they now?

at this point I'm almost honestly wondering how the gently caress I'm not dead of super cancer or something

when I think back over all the weird poo poo I breathed in over the course of my military service, oooh boy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've ingested enough de-icing fluid that it surely has to be toxic. Not to mention JP-8 fumes and other poo poo.

actually, isn't deicing fluid just propylene glycol? you're fine with that, but yeah breathing jp-8 fumes all day every day in basically any deployed environment in the military probably not so great for you

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Icon Of Sin posted:

We had a burn pit on my first fob, and then I moved to KAF where there was not only a burn pit but also the infamous poo pond. I swear they could have ran a bioweapons lab with the terrors that had to be growing in ~11 years worth of human waste that had been baked in the desert sun for just as long.

That poo pond is really the greatest nation-building achievement the US has made in Afghanistan. That's gonna be the greenest two hectares in Central Asia in 50 years.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ooof. I was a truck mechanic. I can remember countless days being so black from dirt, oil, dust, and whatever the gently caress other petroleum products, only to wander over to the shower trailer to be shocked in the middle of a weak, cold spritz because haji don't know what the gently caress ground means in electrical circuits and who the gently caress ever heard of water heaters?

then I think about all the ridiculous poo poo that went on and how oddly fun it was, I'd consider it a fair trade. a few years in the service for all the lovely ones at the end.

lol yeah that whole part of the world where people have more limited access to energy means they don't really know how the gently caress it works. I also got shocked by one of those loving showers in mosul the name of the fob escapes me though

anyway, yeah to add onto that, the one dude I saw die in Afghanistan was some fella hooking up a crane's cable from like one of those little asian midget flatbed/crane combos to a big jersey barrier. The crane operator tipped the boom right up against a power line, the dude on the jersey wall got the poo poo zapped out of him, the crane caught on fire. I was on the other side of a couple of hescos burning office shred out there like a good little fobbit peon when all this commotion suddenly breaks loose and then we were running around trying to put this nonsense out with fire extinguishers out of the nearby b-huts, the one afghan running around blabbering with his hands over his face, the other one awkwardly sprawled out across the top of that concrete block next to the fire which by this point was burning all that filthy axle grease and bullshit off the winch and joints of the crane covering everything with greasy black smoke, and that one gnarled brown hand still stiffly clutching the wire rope

lol yeah that's always a funny story to tell people cause they expect I'm gonna tell them about the dude I saw eat it when we got into a firefight or something, but no, just plain old savages run afoul of the outside world's magic

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Got my first ever speeding ticket yesterday. It was in god drat sonoma county, and I live in San Diego. The court date, besides being a fuckin 10 hour drive away, is right smack in the middle of my vacation to South America. Anyone have experience getting a lawyer to go to traffic court for you?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm gonna look to see what this this thing costs on the Democratic Bear Flag People's Republic of California traffic revenue stream collection website before I decide. After poking around a couple of lawyer's websites this is gonna be a pain in my rear end if I go that route. The buddy I was on the road trip with had me pretty convinced that it would be cheaper to jew up than flat out pay. I drive like a grandma, so this is a new experience for me.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Don't go loving with your insurance and telling them you got a speeding ticket. I've had two speeding tickets in the past few years and my insurance doesn't go up because I don't tell them and they rarely check.

I feel like this was the advice I really needed.

lol jk who the gently caress would tell their insurance they got a ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Christoff posted:

I'm not sure how often insurance companies check but in California your insurance is tied to your registration as of like 3 years so I can only assume it's faster in some way if not instant

yeah, luckily I'm selling my truck next month before I go on vacation and move to Colorado so this'll be my first and last ticket here knock on wood :ca:

also:

Christoff posted:

USAA rules

• Locked thread