Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Finagle posted:

I really feel like I don't understand the best way to layout/defend my base. Is something like this a good idea? If this doesn't work until late in the game (due to upgrades, whatever) then what should I be doing to start out?

I'm definitely enjoying the game more than Clash so far, but I'm still feeling super lost!

That is a really bad layout.

RVT posted:

Base layout / Defense - Don't worry about this too much until PH4-5+, people that want your loot are going to roll you and take it. However, here is a general guide for building a decent base.

1) Put what you want to protect in the center - your storages.
2) Put your mortars (if you have them) next to your storages.
3) Put your other defenses (cannons, gun towers) around the core you built above.
4) Surround as much of that as you can with walls (when you get them).
5) Put everything else outside the walls, around this (including your Pirate Hall). The idea is you want their troops attacking your useless buildings, while your defenses kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Try making an x shape with the mortar in the middle and cannons as the ends. Then add your storages in the gaps. If it's contiguous then each cannon will cover two others and the mortar covers them all. Then chuck walls around it and goldmine and stills wherever. Visit me or epth for a visual.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^
Just applied as cptn mudduck to LLJK. I can't wait to plunder all of the booty in the sea while I sit at my desk. :gizz: :gizz:

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I am only PH4, but I have been attacked a total of two times. I even broke my beginners shield as soon as I could.

I like the dual explore/raid mechanic in this game. The raiding in this game is pretty good so far. Nothing like losing a match after destroying 4 collectors and over filling my storages. Its pretty crazy that storages are a top priority, just so I can hold all the loot.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Perhaps I'm missing something but when exploring, I can only reach so far and I've gotten to every point on the map that I can reach, but I still don't have enough EP to get myself a lighthouse to build a level 2 ship. Do I really have to explore random parts of the map I've already uncovered? If so, that's incredibly bad game design.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
There are 2 spots in 2poor. These guys can claim those spots. First two to claim them get them:

Rootballa
overseer07
Kanimas

Lblitzer posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something but when exploring, I can only reach so far and I've gotten to every point on the map that I can reach, but I still don't have enough EP to get myself a lighthouse to build a level 2 ship. Do I really have to explore random parts of the map I've already uncovered? If so, that's incredibly bad game design.

Errands will also give you a decent amount of EP.

RVT fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 30, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lblitzer posted:

A couple of ways to generate EPs:

1) Errands. Have the appropriate pirate running errands constantly.
2) Send a couple of pirates on milk runs through shallow waters -- not fighting anybody unless you want to, just taking laps through those six-second waves.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

delfin posted:

A couple of ways to generate EPs:

1) Errands. Have the appropriate pirate running errands constantly.
2) Send a couple of pirates on milk runs through shallow waters -- not fighting anybody unless you want to, just taking laps through those six-second waves.

The milk runs can get you gems as well, so worth doing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Oh weird I don't know how I never noticed Errands. Thanks for the tips guys.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

RVT posted:

There are 2 spots in 2poor. These guys can claim those spots. First two to claim them get them:

Rootballa
overseer07
Kanimas

request sent

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Explore/raid being separate owns. I can recruit full pirates, send them out on a 3 hour tour, then recruit more and raid while I wait for the first group to return.

Training owns because you can train each unit SIMULTANEOUSLY instead of having to only train 1 at a time. I was worried at first that there being like, 15 training abilities per unit that i'd be training poo poo for literally years but this is so much better.

(So you can research 1 upgrade for buccaneers, gunners, and brutes all at the same time. You just can't research 2 buccaneer upgrades at the same time.)

Errands are neat in theory but in practice seem like they're hardly worth it. Plus these pirates I'm sending out on errands - who the hell are they? If they're named characters they ought to, i dunno. Show up from time to time or something.

I love the fact that deployment areas being water is nice because it means no big glowing red no-deployment zones. Just a little touch I really like.

I also love the art in this game.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

yeah there's a lot of wind waker in this

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

khy posted:

Errands are neat in theory but in practice seem like they're hardly worth it. Plus these pirates I'm sending out on errands - who the hell are they? If they're named characters they ought to, i dunno. Show up from time to time or something.

They actually wander around your base every now and again. Still no idea why they exist other than to give you scraps every so often.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

They actually wander around your base every now and again. Still no idea why they exist other than to give you scraps every so often.

Before Errands that was all they were.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Kicked 4 guys from LLJK because they had not posted in the thread, so I had to assume they were pubs. Welcome back if that is not accurate. I didn't realize that Crew could accept applications.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

RVT posted:

Kicked 4 guys from LLJK because they had not posted in the thread, so I had to assume they were pubs. Welcome back if that is not accurate. I didn't realize that Crew could accept applications.

Yeah I been letting people in left and right. Assumed they'd be kept around as cabin boys.

So, with upgrades, do you have to stick to a certain skill path? With gunners, am I able to upgrade both branches or will going the "more attack/defense" route mean that I miss out on a special ability?

vvv thanks, Apogee vvv

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 1, 2015

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Yeah I been letting people in left and right. Assumed they'd be kept around as cabin boys.

So, with upgrades, do you have to stick to a certain skill path? With gunners, am I able to upgrade both branches or will going the "more attack/defense" route mean that I miss out on a special ability?

You can do both branches.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Normally yeah, but with the volume of guys joining this week, and the fact that space is getting a little tight even in LLJK, I'd rather just do the verification up front. Feel free to keep accepting people, I'd just appreciate it if whoever is hitting accept checks the thread for me first.

We already have some people in 2poor that are 6-8 days idle. I may drop the kick threshold down a bit from 14 days, until we get over the high turnover period we're gonna have as a bunch of these guys decide PP isn't for them.

Apogee15 posted:

You can do both branches.

Even after the rebalancing a couple months ago, I'd still suggest people skip the +3 and +5 toughness branches on the WitchDoctor upgrade tree. It'll save you a lot of grog once your WDs are otherwise fully upgraded.

RVT fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 1, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What happens if you don't take a phone call in these types of games? I just had an AWESOME pillage that was interrupted by a call and i accidentally hit answer. If I let the call time out does the game continue? Or will I be hosed no matter what if I end up getting called?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Zotix posted:

What happens if you don't take a phone call in these types of games? I just had an AWESOME pillage that was interrupted by a call and i accidentally hit answer. If I let the call time out does the game continue? Or will I be hosed no matter what if I end up getting called?

You still use your phone to make calls?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Honestly, I can't remember that ever happening. I would assume the same thing that happens if you minimized the game on your phone to do anything else.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I never get calls, and of course in this last day I had two come through right when I was raiding. It was near the end of the raid, and I seemed to have kept all the goods from what I can tell.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
You keep anything you've already raided but you won't get any pirate rank.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

K, I let slouch in to LLJK. Got an invite for shamt too if you wanna speak up.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
There's a few guys in 2poor that have 5-9 days idle. Since these guys have had barely had the game installed that long, I'm going to assume they aren't coming back. I went ahead and "nudged" them, basically the Captain can make the game send a little come back to the game! push notification if they have those turned on.

We'll give them until tonight, then start swapping some guys over from LLJK.

If you're still wanting to join, please post in the thread or at least say something sufficiently goony in chat. Otherwise, I'm probably going to kick you at some point.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

You can add me to the 2poor list but I'm cool sneaking in after a week or two.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I'd like to switch over if possible. Let me know.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
^^^^ Gonna do invites in the order people posted in the thread, as we have been.

Just made 4 spots in 2poor. If anyone that was kicked picks the game back up, please feel free to re-apply to LLJK.

Kanimas
fuquaz
TK421
Tortoiseshell Tom
Albert Gibson
dihaploidy

6 names for 4 slots. Check that 2poor has room before you drop LLJK. First 4 to transfer get them. Those that don't will remain at the top of the list for the next wave.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
I dropped from LLJK and applied to 2poor, but I got a 'failed to apply' message when I pressed apply.

I'll try again in a while to see if it changes.

E: Got in, thanks RVT!

dihaploidy fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 3, 2015

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
In game name is Shamt trying to apply to either goon group.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Onion Rings posted:

Rejected you from 2poor. Don't see the app in LLJK. Maybe applying to both messed it up? Apply to LLJK again.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Onion Rings posted:

Saw you apply yesterday. I'll add you when the servers are back if somebody else doesn't get there first.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Applied to 2poor.

elvie
Jan 17, 2009
What's the take on Sky Raiders? They seem fun to use and I haven't even touched the upgrades on them.
But are they worthless end game?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I love that you can have a landlocked ship.

I'm on PH5, what sort of army configurations do people use? I've been leveling all my troops in the academy, but I pretty much always just use 5 brutes and 15 gunners. I feel like I've had fairly decent success with that. Is it worth it to add some bombers or thieves? What about juggs?

ralz
Apr 7, 2009

elvie posted:

What's the take on Sky Raiders? They seem fun to use and I haven't even touched the upgrades on them.
But are they worthless end game?

Someone may disagree, but I've made a decent living using brutes and gunners almost exclusively. I won't say they're useless, but I haven't really felt compelled to include them. They do have a ghost ship ability you can train for at Academy 5, but I've found that the loot from ghost ships isn't worth recruiting troops that you wouldn't otherwise use in combat.

Apogee15 posted:

I'm on PH5, what sort of army configurations do people use? I've been leveling all my troops in the academy, but I pretty much always just use 5 brutes and 15 gunners. I feel like I've had fairly decent success with that. Is it worth it to add some bombers or thieves? What about juggs?

Similar question, so a similar answer. I ran that comp as well, it seemed to work the best for me early on so I just stuck with it. Now that I've maxed my tavern, I'm running 10 brutes and 25 gunners, pretty sure RVT is using the same as well. I've thrown in juggs occasionally but the brute/gunner combo is usually more than enough. I've seen upgraded bombers melt through walls with relative ease, but once they are inside they tend to get too distracted for my liking. I prefer to just let the more tanky brutes bust down walls and then focus on mortars and other defenses. Maybe someone else can speak to thieves, I've only used them once or twice early on.

Also, I've taken a more streamlined approach to training units, so it was more efficient to just max out brutes and gunners at each academy while loading up on BP for the next academy upgrade. Once I get to a point where I've upgraded my other units more, I might toy around with different armies. It sounds like you might be able to experiment a little more. Juggs have been a second priority in my academy, and the heavy gunner is third for me. Hopefully he ends up being useful in the end, or else I'm pissing away a lot of grog for nothing.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
I think I've gotten passed over for an invite into 2poor. Can someone please check that I'm on the list as Poop Island?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Trampus posted:

I think I've gotten passed over for an invite into 2poor. Can someone please check that I'm on the list as Poop Island?

You're #18, we're only about 8 names down the list. Keep them builders working, we'll get to you soon.

Related to that

RVT posted:

Kanimas
fuquaz
TK421
Tortoiseshell Tom
Albert Gibson
dihaploidy

Still need one of these 3 people to fill the last spot in 2poor before I open it up further.

RVT fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 4, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I guess I could join 2poor whenever a slot or slots opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albert Gibson
Oct 19, 2012
Applied for 2poor, thanks

• Locked thread