Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This month's theme is texture! Try to create the illusion of surface - this could mean anything from painting glossy reflections to using a thick impasto.
A cool exercise to try is to draw some spheres or cubes, and render them in whatever type of surface you can think of, like these

Or try going out into the world with a piece of paper and a stick of charcoal and making rubbings of things around you!
Here's some feely blogs to get your perusal
http://onetextureperday.tumblr.com/
http://ageofdistress.tumblr.com/
http://badtextures.tumblr.com/

Anyway here's what I started working on just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Love those texture studies! It's something I've not spent nearly enough time doing, should be a fun month.

Also, what's this month's horrible portmanteau wordtheme?

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:
I haven't had a chance to draw in months, but I decided to take the day off and do something this morning. Turned out okay I think! Any crits are always ace.

And I guess I've never really tried to do fur before, so it kinda fits the texture theme!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

petrol blue posted:

Love those texture studies! It's something I've not spent nearly enough time doing, should be a fun month.

Also, what's this month's horrible portmanteau wordtheme?

I have yet to find an appropriate art meme for December -_-

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Not too many textures on this except for lines, but something else I've been working on. I'm still going through and trying to make all of the lines a relatively consistent weight, but am pleased with it so far. Still need to figure out a better way to render that guineafowl.

Click for Huge

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

tsintaosaurus progress

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

I made a stone happen, it was smooth.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Hair

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
This is turning into the most surreal round of rock-paper-scissors...

E: stone beats dinosaur. :eng101:

typ0ninja
Jan 9, 2005

Good topic! I actually have something relevant to OP this time.
Guyver beats stone? :cabot:

Sketch:

...and I think I over did it on the texture ;P

typ0ninja fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 3, 2014

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

I guess this has textures too, wood grain and gold foil?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

petrol blue posted:

This is turning into the most surreal round of rock-paper-scissors...

E: stone beats dinosaur. :eng101:

I would have gotten done sooner if I didn't have a 2 year old to chase after all night :v:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

GreatJob posted:

I guess this has textures too, wood grain and gold foil?

God, that is beautiful! is it for a gift?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Kyle's brushes for photoshop are pretty good. I've been using them for a while, and slowly trying new things in the really big bundle. This time it's oil paints.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Figures and junk

madsketcher.
Sep 20, 2011
I never post anything here anymore :( Hello :)

I'm always using texture, so that seems like an appropriate theme for me.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010
Aw heck, I've been procrastinating with the intent to do these sort of texture studies for just about forever.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

petrol blue posted:

God, that is beautiful! is it for a gift?

Thank you! It is for an in-development metroidvania game called 'For My Brother', that caught my fancy because it uses Secret of Kells style graphics. Due to its typography, I can see how it might be construed as actually for my brother.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Took Manga Studio for a spin. The dark is ink; the faded gray below is pencil sketching.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
Gorilla.

Gorilla.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Arbor That's a sexy orange.

Finally an OP I can stay on topic with! A "possessed pillar" for a Kobold Press bestiary to be released 2Q 2015.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 8, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Started an apple study. Got the whole apple blocked in, but this was all of the texture I was able to do tonight. Think I got a little too ambitious for something I've never done. :(

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

I'm bad at uploading my stuff on the internet. Have a couple of herons.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Yuck! a BOOBS! GROSE!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SirJohanna posted:

I'm bad at uploading my stuff on the internet. Have a couple of herons.

I love this and am horrified! Gorgeous.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I painted a thing for my TG/goon secret santee:

(good christ I need a phone with a better camera.)

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Status Epilepticus posted:

Gorilla.

Gorilla.

These are so good drat

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I've been strongly advised, recently, to start drawing some fanart!

Problem is, the properties I'm really into are super old by this point.

Strider for example.

And Chrono Trigger!

ozzies in a jam

I'm using the fanart to test new artstyles. Something I'd been doing way too much with my actual webcomic. (http://www.chaosinthetropics.com/) When I get to chapter 2 of my work, I'm gonna be dropping full-color. Only adding color, when color adds something. This alone will increase my output from 3 pages a week to 10 (if I'm really on the ball.) And what I like about the coloring style I used for the Chrono piece, is how easily I can imagine it blooming up in a mostly black and white comic, in areas for emphasis without jarring the reader too much.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Scribblehatch posted:

I'm using the fanart to test new artstyles. Something I'd been doing way too much with my actual webcomic. (http://www.chaosinthetropics.com/) When I get to chapter 2 of my work, I'm gonna be dropping full-color. Only adding color, when color adds something. This alone will increase my output from 3 pages a week to 10 (if I'm really on the ball.) And what I like about the coloring style I used for the Chrono piece, is how easily I can imagine it blooming up in a mostly black and white comic, in areas for emphasis without jarring the reader too much.

I do think the colour scheme in CITT is one of it's biggest strengths, but some panels are flatter than others and I can kinda see why you wouldn't want to do it for all of them. Like on the first two pages of beat 13, the Kiki panels are immaculate but the city cop panels are a little more flat. I think I just have to see what you have in mind, it'll probably be for the better though.

scribs pls

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Another project from watercolor class.

Probably one of the scariest things I've painted so far. Watercolor never ceases to unnerve me.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The Naiad Psalakantha

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

WIP for little brother's birthday present, he's a total train-nerd.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Textures not my thing, but here's some rusty robots!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

A bit of a "proof of concept" of the workflow I want to have going: pencils in Manga Studio, then inks in Manga Studio, then coloring in Photoshop. I'm happy with it, but it took hours. Really gotta learn how to shave that time down.

Many, many thanks to neonnoodle for the limited palette tutorial! It's extremely useful and I learned a lot doing it!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

CloseFriend posted:

Many, many thanks to neonnoodle for the limited palette tutorial! It's extremely useful and I learned a lot doing it!

Please could you link to that, I took a look but couldn't find it.

found it! :downs:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 15, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

petrol blue posted:

Please could you link to that, I took a look but couldn't find it.

found it! :downs:
Here's a video she made of it, which I found even more useful!

To get the Smudge tool to work the way she uses it, you want to turn Scattering on.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Awesome, thanks!
e: Hmm, going to have to see if I can mod that to work on my tablet, it looks really interesting, and it's something I've not dealt with much. I get very sucked into 'more lifelike more better' if I'm not very strict. See below.

Finished the train pic (well, I think I'm about out of arsed-ness, same thing, right?):

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 16, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

wip

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Trying to loosen up a bit, stop being so detail-focused, and also to use more contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

progress

also

E: wow perspective is a mess on that plane

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 17, 2014

• Locked thread