Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The only mission I was ever involved with was helping high ranking dickheads feel self important, and doing the paperwork shuffle.

And the only freedom I helped support was telling my dudes to leave early and have their phone handy in case we actually had something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

not caring here posted:

The only mission I was ever involved with was helping high ranking dickheads feel self important, and doing the paperwork shuffle.

And the only freedom I helped support was telling my dudes to leave early and have their phone handy in case we actually had something to do.
You're doing good things for your country, son.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

not caring here posted:

Put this man up for an ARCOM immediately.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

not caring here posted:

This is why I got out. I didn't do poo poo "for are country" just to make higher-up dickheads look better while they hosed everyone under them as hard as possible. gently caress them.

During the BC/BDE CDR counselings in the REFRAD process they always ask "why are you getting out?" Of course you can't tell them the truth because you'll be shoveling poo poo until you get out, but if one of those mother fuckers asked me now I'd tell them exactly what I thought of them and their self-serving, "look at me!" shithead policies and attitudes. Fuckers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I'd Iike to think that some of the force protection stuff we built maybe helped keep some people safe, but I have no way of knowing. I do know that all our projects on BAF were an incredible waste of manpower and equipment.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

psydude posted:

I'd Iike to think that some of the force protection stuff we built maybe helped keep some people safe, but I have no way of knowing. I do know that all our projects on BAF were an incredible waste of manpower and equipment.

You were at BAF, nothing you ever did was important except not get blown up while taking up a boots on ground slot.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

psydude posted:

I did a lot of contracting/construction bullshit and 95% of it was to pad OERs and to handwave and "do things." Literally shoveled money into an incinerator.

loving worthless. Let's go out on mission because we literally have no mission and need to do something god drat it. Let's build poo poo so I can blow my boss about all the things I'm doing.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
Is the grass really not greener on the other side? I want a gold bar on my chest much more than any rational financial calculation would deem worthwhile.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Crazy Mike posted:

Is the grass really not greener on the other side? I want a gold bar on my chest much more than any rational financial calculation would deem worthwhile.

lol if you think that's a good idea.

Here's a tip if you're just aching for someone to respect you: get a real job, do well at it and don't be a oval office, you'll have people calling you sir in no time.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If you really want to continue serving your country, get out of the military and use your education benefits to become a scientist or engineer so we don't let all the goddamn dirty Indians and Pakistanis take all are American high skill technical jobs

I swear all the whitebread American students ever do now are theater or service industry related majors. Do your part, become an engineer for America. When all those faggots are making costumes for theaters and helping grampa get the right dosage of boner pills, we need a new generation of people to design the next generation of ICBMs and tanks :911:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You can never escape the bullshit, you just pick which flavor you want.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
^ Mostly that

Crazy Mike posted:

It's not much better, if anything it's infuriating sometimes because you have to deal with people in positions of responsibility who have no business being in charge of anything. That being said there is a lot less bullshit involved like getting put on details, etc and you do have a say in some things.

Triggs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 18, 2014

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Crazy Mike posted:

No you don't.

Whatever. Go for it. Less chance of them trying to recall me when Russia initiates WWIII or whatever.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Crazy Mike posted:

Think of all those goddamn moronic NCO's that make you want to put a gun in your mouth who babble about high speed and low drag and argleblargle HOOAH! CAV! and think Mandatory Family Fun Day is a good idea.

Think of all those dipshit enlisted men you know that shouldn't be trusted with a loving safety razor.

You will be in charge of ALL OF THEM.

Which means you will get PUNISHED for all them.

Private Snuffy gets drunk and shits in an ATM? Not only does his NCO have to get up and deal with that poo poo, now you do to. And you'll just have gotten back to bed when you find out that PFC Mary Joe Rottencrotch got in a fight with her meth-head tanker boyfriend and the MP's got called, and you get to roll out of bed and deal with that. Then, right as you get home again, you'll hear that phone ring and clench your teeth so hard you'll crack a molar, which you won't be able to get fixed, because the day of your appointment SFC Numbnuts will have loving killed three of your troops by showing them 'the proper way to milk a grenade' and now the general is going to shove his dick in your mouth and complain that your broken molar gashed his cock.

All of those morons, halfwits, and goddamn psychotics? You're in charge of them. Everytime they gently caress up, it'll go on your eval. And everything they do right?

That fat shamming gently caress who was 'never some enlisted scumbag' and isn't 'some jumped up enlisted man' will take all the credit and get medals.

You won't fit in with the enlisted because your a loving officer and gently caress officers, the rest of the officers will look down on you because you used to be a knuckle dragging ape, and the only people who might act like your friends only want to climb up your back and step on your head.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
You sound like you were in the 82nd

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The only ex-enlisted O I knew was the biggest loving fat lazy piece of poo poo in this man's army. He told us, to our faces, that we were just his ticket to retirement so he could sail away on his big yacht once he made major. It got so bad platoon sergeants were openly talking poo poo about him in formation to their platoons. Token words being "Fat", "Lazy", "Worthless", "Sack of poo poo"

He was so far stuck up his own rear end when it came to actual training, too, like he had this aura of "I know more than all of you" despite him being a huge human being moron. Any time he'd do one of those "ask vague questions to lead you into an answer about what went wrong during training" during an AAR he would go on the biggest loving nonsensical logical leap that we would be sitting there spitting out every possible response he could be looking for until we land on something completely off the wall.

So yeah gently caress enlisted O's. I'm still debating whether or not enlisted O's are worse than academy goobs. We had a PL who went through West Point and he was, quite possibly, a machine incapable of human interaction or emotion. Our BEST PL went through ROTC not even knowing what ROTC was or that he actually had to serve as an officer at the end of it. Dude is now badged and tabbed the gently caress out in the 75th no doubt having a very successful career.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 19, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Justin Tyme posted:

gently caress everyone in the army, enlisted and officer and warrant officer

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
lovely people will be lovely people no matter what they did before they became shiny.

The Army is the Army whether you're a sir or not. If you can tolerate it and want to make the military a career, go officer. The quality of life is better and the opportunity to use your mil experience as a springboard to a second career actually exists, vs "Hey become a 25L it'll totally get you a job with ComCast." But better quality of life does not = immune to Army bullshit, it just means that you can go back to your apartment and gently caress your girlfriend from Local State U at the end of the day instead of going back to your cell barracks room and contemplating your poor life decisions as you stare at the ceiling.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Gen. Odierno and some deployed troops appeared in Colbert Report's final episode in uniform... is this like a USO arrangement? I'm just curious about who's footing the bill with travelling and whatnot, does the Army foot the bill to fly Odierno to NYC?

screencap: http://i.imgur.com/C5hTn0C.jpg

Huge fan of Colbert, the appearance of our CoS really surprised me.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Suck a dick, odierno.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Deployed with no real mission. PSG told us the other day, no poo poo, that the current mission is now "morale". Everyone laughed.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Nimmy posted:

Deployed with no real mission. PSG told us the other day, no poo poo, that the current mission is now "morale". Everyone laughed.

Sorry, what MOS are you? 92S? If so then yes otherwise :clint: hmmmm.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

White Chocolate posted:

Sorry, what MOS are you? 92S? If so then yes otherwise :clint: hmmmm.

lovely stupid combat mos

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

psydude posted:

Are there even retention people for officers? What the gently caress could they possibly offer to make someone want to stay in past their service obligation if they were planning on getting out?

At least on the active side if you're a non-shitbird post-command captain your branch will probably find out about your REFRAD and offer you all kinds of poo poo. FAs, West Point TAC, grad school + West Point TAC, Harvard G3 fellowship, cushy joint posts, whatever. Your brigade commander might do the same. If you're pre-command they largely don't give a gently caress. Then again I've been out for almost three years so who the gently caress knows now. They'll probably promise to suck your dick from the back if you voluntarily leave.

e: Oh and don't forget about selection, because once you've decided to get out what sounds better than a two year school pipeline? (nothing but love for you iceslice)

iKon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 20, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Lol if you guys think Odierno has paid for anything himself since he became a GO.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

lovely people will be lovely people no matter what they did before they became shiny.

This, plus it seems like most junior Os are obsessed with becoming a BN commander. That alone breeds this toxic, climb on the back of others to reach the finish line mentality. It leads Os to be more worried about their next OER than actually doing something intelligently. The sooner Os realize being a BN commander is the worst parts of being a company commander the sooner Os stop dicking over others as readily. Then again I'm a retard with a CS degree still in the Army...

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Then again I'm a retard with a CS degree still in the Army...

Me too buddy. Army IT is painful for me and has caused me no end of stupidity.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Army guys: real question

Talking to an army unit for new orders (active navy) and have to go through an A&S. I take it these vary wildly depending on the unit in question, but any tips in general? The only tip I'm working with right now from someone retired from that community is "do literally everything they say as literally as they describe it" like showing up for something at exactly 1800, not 1758.

I know that some Navy get picked up by the group in question, so I'm assuming they account for the differences in our initial training i.e. land nav is mostly self-taught and from a few JTX I got voluntold to help the army with down in GA.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I am in awe.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=57351

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

the gently caress

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

lmao disband the army

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i like to imagine what some guy fighting in the bocage in 1944 france would think about horseshit like this

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i like to imagine what some guy fighting in the bocage in 1944 france would think about horseshit like this

"Typical garrison poo poo."

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I definitely don't think an ARCOM was warranted in this situation, but in my opinion she for sure did the right thing. It kind of makes me laugh actually... The idiotic mouth-breathing bullshit I see posted in Army Times comments (among many others) by dipshits with pics of themselves in full uniform (often with their unit of assignment visible as well) is astounding. I am completely unashamed to say I have used global to directly email people I have seen showing their asses in publicly viewable comments and told them to knock that poo poo off. I do not give a single gently caress if someone thinks that's not "the real Army" or whatever. We can kill people without being loving cavemen.

e: also merry christmas guys I have been drunk for a week straight, I think my wife left a couple days ago? not sure

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

krispykremessuck posted:

lmao disband the army

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Defleshed posted:

I definitely don't think an ARCOM was warranted in this situation, but in my opinion she for sure did the right thing. It kind of makes me laugh actually... The idiotic mouth-breathing bullshit I see posted in Army Times comments (among many others) by dipshits with pics of themselves in full uniform (often with their unit of assignment visible as well) is astounding. I am completely unashamed to say I have used global to directly email people I have seen showing their asses in publicly viewable comments and told them to knock that poo poo off. I do not give a single gently caress if someone thinks that's not "the real Army" or whatever. We can kill people without being loving cavemen.

e: also merry christmas guys I have been drunk for a week straight, I think my wife left a couple days ago? not sure

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Defleshed posted:

Blue Falcon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Eh, gently caress them.

If there's mouth breathers talking poo poo in youtube or military.com comments, then they've clearly identified themselves as genetic loving defectives and thus should be kicked out of the army as the price of hobos sucking my dick is getting out of hand.

Then when all the infantry is gone we can replace them with humvee mechanics because if all you're gonna do is sit in the motor pool pretending to PMCS vehicles might as well have someone who can tell what a loving fuel filter looks like or some poo poo.

• Locked thread