Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

My friend was told to get new boots when he showed up to this command. He had gone through the diver pipeline out of boot camp and I guess they issue the high speed dudes a different pair of boots than the lovely bates the rest of us got. He just got handed down some fuzzy ones from one of the old second classes that got HYT'd out. I hear those are super comfy. Meanwhile, the sole on mine are worn away almost to my feet but I'll be damned if I'm buying some on my last year in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

My friend was told to get new boots when he showed up to this command. He had gone through the diver pipeline out of boot camp and I guess they issue the high speed dudes a different pair of boots than the lovely bates the rest of us got. He just got handed down some fuzzy ones from one of the old second classes that got HYT'd out. I hear those are super comfy. Meanwhile, the sole on mine are worn away almost to my feet but I'll be damned if I'm buying some on my last year in.

cheap the gently caress out and get them resoled...or go find out if sugru will stick on the soles for an extra gently caress the navy step.

sugru is a glue-type slurry that drys into flexible rubber. people use it for various things. http://sugru.com/about

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

tuluk posted:

cheap the gently caress out and get them resoled...or go find out if sugru will stick on the soles for an extra gently caress the navy step.

sugru is a glue-type slurry that drys into flexible rubber. people use it for various things. http://sugru.com/about

I never knew about this product or that I needed it until just now.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

I never knew about this product or that I needed it until just now.

sugru is pretty cool, but pricey. the website isn't kidding about the expiration date/keeping them in the fridge to extend the expiration date.
once sugru is expired, it turns into flexible rubber inside the packaging.

sugru is pretty useful for pranks, and automobile repair. if you're insane enough, you could even use sugru to:
http://terminallance.com/2010/12/21/terminal-lance-90-the-gift-of-giving-part-i/

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PCS on Monday, 35 days of leave before school. I joined the Navy at 18, 14 years ago. I'm gonna try to grow my very first beard guys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DustyNuts posted:

PCS on Monday, 35 days of leave before school. I joined the Navy at 18, 14 years ago. I'm gonna try to grow my very first beard guys.

Its either going to be glorious or joe dirtesque.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DustyNuts posted:

I say I am going to grow a beard every time I go on leave. It usually lasts less than a week before the itchiness becomes unbearable and I wind up shaving it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

After a week it doesn't itch anymore.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I've had relaxed grooming for a little over a year and have enjoyed measuring the potential of my beard. I also learned a lot about beards like that they need oil or balm to not itch and get beard dandruff. 7/10 beards are ok

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just shampoo and condition mine. I've never had problems with it itching or dandruff.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

To my surprise I actually look pretty ok once my beard fills in

Lots of red in there. European I guess or Milkman was Irish? :shrug:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
FBI charges Saudi-born naval engineer over plans to sink aircraft carrier

quote:

A Naval engineer is facing federal charges for allegedly giving an undercover FBI agent secret documents on a new aircraft carrier being built in Norfolk, Va.

Saudi-born Mostafa Ahmed Awwad, 35, of Yorktown, Va., was arrested Friday on an FBI affidavit claiming he planned to use a dead-drop location along a secluded hiking trail to hand off secret information about the Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier, set to be delivered to the Navy in 2016, Fox News reported Saturday.

During a hotel meeting on Oct. 9, Mr. Awwad gave the undercover agent, posing as an Egyptian spy named “Yousef,” secret drawings of the vessel and “discussed where to strike the vessel with a missile in order sink it,” the affidavit says.

"Okay, so there's this two-meter thermal exhaust port at the end of a heavily defended trench..."

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

FBI charges Saudi-born naval engineer over plans to sink aircraft carrier

"Okay, so there's this two-meter thermal exhaust port at the end of a heavily defended trench..."

It's right below the main port.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
They started selling Christmas party tickets. For $25, you get to dance to *mumble mumble*, and eat *muuurmerrrr* with the people at your command.

Are we supposed to go to this one this year?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Angry Fish posted:

They started selling Christmas party tickets. For $25, you get to dance to *mumble mumble*, and eat *muuurmerrrr* with the people at your command.

Are we supposed to go to this one this year?

Lucky. Ours are $75 loving dollars. And an hour away in Tokyo. And they reserve, like, 15 rooms and there's 3,000 people at our command. gently caress that.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Lucky. Ours are $75 loving dollars. And an hour away in Tokyo. And they reserve, like, 15 rooms and there's 3,000 people at our command. gently caress that.

Guess you guys don't have as many orgies in Japan as we do in Fresno and corps school chicago?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

poopkitty posted:

$75?! What does $75 get you?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Angry Fish posted:

Mast.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

We had a Christmas party at NAF El Centro one year, and after the party was over the drunk female MACS skinny dipped in the Mirage Club pool on a dare. There were a bunch of other dudes from her department there. She didn't go to mast!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's Pearl Harbor day today.

Call your dad/granddad and thank him for killing all the bad people.

Also obligatory nuke picture.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Angry Fish posted:

A standard "served meal" (Chicken, beef or veggie) and a seat at an assigned table. In formalwear. Transportation up there is extra, tolls or train is about $20. Or you can take the command bus back to your car on base for $10. Which was super fun last year as my drunk husband and my CMC had a yelling match about meat pie. I couldn't drink because I live 20 minutes by car from where the bus returns to.

So, if you're following:
$150 for a couple
$30 for drinks because they aren't free
$20 for a pair of bus tickets
$50 for a babysitter
a lot of Japanese that I don't know
+ that guy you can't stand that always talks to you anyway
----------------------------
A whole bunch of hell no.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
lol if you ever went to a command sponsored function voluntarily

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Whelp, hotel is kicking me out in the morning at checkout time because the approver for my RTA has a week of leave left and nobody else in the office seems to be capable of doing it themselves. Gonna throw my poo poo into my truck tonight, maybe invest in a harmonica to play behind the liquor store

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Analogical posted:

Whelp, hotel is kicking me out in the morning at checkout time because the approver for my RTA has a week of leave left and nobody else in the office seems to be capable of doing it themselves. Gonna throw my poo poo into my truck tonight, maybe invest in a harmonica to play behind the liquor store

Don't Navy dudes get government credit cards to put poo poo on until admin guys run the paperwork to pay it? If not, why don't you just put it on your credit card until things get sorted out?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

DustyNuts posted:

We had a Christmas party at NAF El Centro one year, and after the party was over the drunk female MACS skinny dipped in the Mirage Club pool on a dare. There were a bunch of other dudes from her department there. She didn't go to mast!

Was her name O'Connor or Young by any chance?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hekk posted:

Don't Navy dudes get government credit cards to put poo poo on until admin guys run the paperwork to pay it? If not, why don't you just put it on your credit card until things get sorted out?

Only if the finance guys at his command don't suck a big pile of dicks. You're supposed to be issued a GOVCC for those kinds of things when you go TAD, but if his admin/finance guys are terrible, who knows what happened.

The fact that he would rather pack his poo poo into his truck and play a harmonica behind a liquor store than put poo poo on his own credit card says a lot of things about his N1 department, none of them good.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

Only if the finance guys at his command don't suck a big pile of dicks. You're supposed to be issued a GOVCC for those kinds of things when you go TAD, but if his admin/finance guys are terrible, who knows what happened.

The fact that he would rather pack his poo poo into his truck and play a harmonica behind a liquor store than put poo poo on his own credit card says a lot of things about his N1 department, none of them good.

I think admin/finance is terrible across the military. Over time I've learned just to pay for poo poo out of pocket and settle it on the back end. That way I know the right people are getting paid. If you leave it up to them to pay your government credit card, your credit rating will get all hosed up and no one will be held responsible for loving you over.

This usually isn't an option for everyone though (mostly junior guys). Especially if you are TAD for months at a time and don't have a 20k credit limit on a card or something.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Well the reimbursement is going to the card and it's not split. The hotel bill is 4800. I don't even want to imagine how hard (re: long) it would be to get reimbursed for a personal charge when it's taken them 60+ days just to reimburse my official card. poo poo, it's taken them over five months to figure out how to get me a civilian clothing allowance i half expect to go back to N1 and have them mistakenly ask me how many shekels i need

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Probably missing the point completely here and it's a different type of card but when I had a government travel card I used it once then realized I had to pay off that card with my own card and it was easy to forget.

What's the point? I mean I guess if you live paycheck to paycheck

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was TAD for months sometimes and was never issued a GTC.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Christoff posted:

What's the point?

if you live paycheck to paycheck

I think you answered your own question. Remember, this is the military.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Command sent me and some other dudes to Las Vegas for defcon one year and in order to get a GTC you had to complete some NKO courses on how to make your claims and whatnot. The travel person (some shithead 2nd class) did it all for us so when we got back we had no idea wtf to do and she was on leave. REAL AWESOME THANKS.

About a year after I got out they sent me a replacement card because I guess the old one had expired. Even after checking out and turning the original in. I just shredded that bitch.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
Well, I just got done with my first reserve weekend. It was pretty relaxed and seemed like a decent group of people, and I got immediately (about as immediately as the Reserves works) to SURGEMAIN. All in all, it was the easiest Navy paycheck I've made.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Sometimes I feel like I'm getting to gently caress the Navy back for all of those years of active duty weinerbutting.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

KetTarma posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm getting to gently caress the Navy back for all of those years of active duty weinerbutting.

Yeah, I need to bring a computer or book next time. My workload consisted of a GMT, CPO 365, FCPOA meeting, and making two pots of coffee for my division.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Weird, moment I checked in I got a a government travel card from the command and using it I always got paid back for it if I didn't go over my limit. Couple of idiots would use it while they were here at the command thinking "Oh boy, the Navy is paying for this poo poo!". I've only been TAD like 3 times, twice was like a few days to a week and once it was 2 months. Sucks if you're living paycheck to paycheck and they decide to gently caress you. Heard of plenty Marine reservists when I was at Del Mar that lived in LA and would go down to drill, their NOSC or w/e it's called for them screwed up paperwork and some of them had reservations in Pendleton or San Diego without a car to get in between, or would have to pay out of pocket to live somewhere. A few ghosts would crash on the floor of whoever was in their shop, bailing out before the cleaning people arrived to the barracks/motel thing they had going on.

Boggers
Apr 15, 2010

DustyNuts posted:

Navy claims that beards were banned because they prevented gas masks from sealing. Seems that they finally admitted that they simply did not like the way they looked according to this history of grooming in the Navy (with several cool pix):
http://news.usni.org/2014/10/23/brief-history-grooming-u-s-navy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

According to the GIP history books an admiral couldn't grow one and was beard shamed

It's lame and the argument is dumb as well. They still have no shave chits on ships so that's cool and I assume subs are permanent no shave underway.

They bitch so much about water conservation I don't know why shaving is a thing underway ever

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boggers posted:

Navy claims that beards were banned because they prevented gas masks from sealing. Seems that they finally admitted that they simply did not like the way they looked according to this history of grooming in the Navy (with several cool pix):
http://news.usni.org/2014/10/23/brief-history-grooming-u-s-navy

quote:

Lehman said that master chiefs had been complaining that beards made the Navy look “extremely un-uniform” so it was decided that having clean-shaven sailors would bring “a general sharpening of appearance.”

Combination of :ironicat: and :chiefsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Reposting this from forever ago:

Back in the early 70s while Zumwalt was CNO he did a bunch of poo poo to improve quality of life for the Navy, such as allowing ship's company to maintain civilian clothing for overseas ports, creating all sorts of benefits for dependents, establishing wives ombudsmen, and breaking down segregation barriers for women and minorities. He stated that fresh paint applied before a visit was a sign of poor leadership and took steps to remove some of the khaki barrier by standardizing the dress uniforms for all hands. His most controversial move was arguably the relaxation of grooming standards that allowed for beards and haircuts that didn't adhere to the "off the ears" standard. If you want to see what the Navy looked like post-Zumwalt, watch The Final Countdown.

According to an ultra salty old retired master chief I knew in Pensacola, a lot of higher ups felt that Zumwalt permanently hosed up the Navy by putting morale at a higher priority. Part of the point of controversy was Zumwalt's method of distributing these changes. He used a special type of naval message known as a 'Z' gram to institute sweeping policies, which created problems since Airman Grizzly would show up to work with no shave, get burned, and be all "didn't you read the 'z' gram, chief?".

These days, the justification for no facial hair is CBR protection. However, the manner in which grooming standards were restricted doesn't fall along those lines. I haven't accessed the actual messages setting the regulations (can anybody help me with that?) but the first wave came in 1981 when E-3 and below and midshipmen were disallowed beards.

The Pittsburgh Press, July 11, 1981 posted:

The get-tough messages sent by Adm. Thomas Hayward, the current naval chief, were clearly designed to tighten discipline among lower-ranking enlisted men and to signal officers that responsibility for "pride and professionalism" rests with them.
Essentially, removing the privilege from the lower ranks warmed them up to never having it to begin with, which allowed for an easier transition when they fully did away with the policy in 1984. Consider the following SECNAV quote from The Milwaukee Sentinel:

The Milwaukee Sentinel, December 15, 1984 posted:

"Today the sailors who wear beards keep them well-trimmed and look generally pretty squared away. But there is a feeling among the chiefs that ... since they are so few and far between, ... it looks extremely un-uniform. So we are responding to that view of the chiefs."
Easy to say when the bulk of junior enlisted aren't even authorized them!

References:
Admiral Zumwalt: Z- Grams (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq93-2.htm)
Navy Decides Sailors May Not Have Beards - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/1984/12/15/us/navy-decides-sailors-may-not-have-beards.html)
Navy in Dope, Beard Crackdown - The Pittsburgh Press (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xvMdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KF0EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6605,3664422)
Navy to ban beards again - The Milwaukee Sentinel (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=KHZSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YBIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3850,3733913)

• Locked thread