Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

Lucky. Ours are $75 loving dollars. And an hour away in Tokyo. And they reserve, like, 15 rooms and there's 3,000 people at our command. gently caress that.

The New Sanno was my home base for crushing rear end in Shibuya for like 2 years (gently caress Roppo). It is good, good times. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Does anybody have a link to that paper from the 70s, titled "The End of the Military" or something like that?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah that dude rules and gets mentioned every now and again in here (and rightfully so)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

MancXVI posted:

Reposting this from forever ago:

Back in the early 70s while Zumwalt was CNO he did a bunch of poo poo to improve quality of life for the Navy, such as allowing ship's company to maintain civilian clothing for overseas ports,

There was a movement in Congress against this. Relatively prominent members of the Armed Services Committee had some very tough questions for Zumwalt about it, declaring that it was going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars to buy bigger lockers and that ships would have to be redesigned or retrofit to fit all those bulging lockers. It was pretty much :chiefsay: x :gop:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Boggers posted:

Navy claims that beards were banned because they prevented gas masks from sealing. Seems that they finally admitted that they simply did not like the way they looked according to this history of grooming in the Navy (with several cool pix):
http://news.usni.org/2014/10/23/brief-history-grooming-u-s-navy

In another life I was on the fire department and they gave us the same reasoning for why we had to keep shaven. When we first came on they'd have the guys with beards do a mask test to prove it to us and it did impact the seal enough to be detrimental. Those weren't trivial beards, though. My beard right now is pretty short and I can't imagine a tightened mask wouldn't seal.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Reposting this from forever ago:

According to an ultra salty old retired master chief I knew in Pensacola, a lot of higher ups felt that Zumwalt permanently hosed up the Navy by putting morale at a higher priority. Part of the point of controversy was Zumwalt's method of distributing these changes. He used a special type of naval message known as a 'Z' gram to institute sweeping policies, which created problems since Airman Grizzly would show up to work with no shave, get burned, and be all "didn't you read the 'z' gram, chief?".

God forbid we put the morale of our sailors in high regard, ffs.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Beards would be pretty sick, and kind of motivating in a "hardier" sort of way, plus it improves morale because you're not surrounded by a bunch of baby faces and the higher ups with permanent fatface can at least cover it up a bit.

I think the main reason they don't put morale high up on the list of priorities is because they view high morale as a threat to general military discipline. They fail to realize that if you have a bunch of people trained to work in the thick of it as their lives are at stake, with high morale you would have the internal drive to do more for whatever organization you're a part of and can see yourself advancing better. One of the biggest things that has always pissed me off is when I'm actually having a good day and some Chief or junior officer is like "WHAT'S TO SMILE ABOUT WHEN YOU'RE ON DUTY, SHIPMATE" :chiefsay: Like, drat, I'm standing a bullshit duty and I'm enjoying my 8 hours of solitude after leaving work to come do this, calm the gently caress down. I guess they want a pissed off corpsman to greet service members and whiny family members just to piss them off even more so they can complain. I don't know how they correlate a smiling person as a threat, but someone that's just playing the system by going through the motions of checking boxes and manipulating others isn't a liability when poo poo hits the fan while people are only thinking for themselves.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

Beards would be pretty sick, and kind of motivating in a "hardier" sort of way, plus it improves morale because you're not surrounded by a bunch of baby faces and the higher ups with permanent fatface can at least cover it up a bit.

I think the main reason they don't put morale high up on the list of priorities is because they view high morale as a threat to general military discipline. They fail to realize that if you have a bunch of people trained to work in the thick of it as their lives are at stake, with high morale you would have the internal drive to do more for whatever organization you're a part of and can see yourself advancing better. One of the biggest things that has always pissed me off is when I'm actually having a good day and some Chief or junior officer is like "WHAT'S TO SMILE ABOUT WHEN YOU'RE ON DUTY, SHIPMATE" :chiefsay: Like, drat, I'm standing a bullshit duty and I'm enjoying my 8 hours of solitude after leaving work to come do this, calm the gently caress down. I guess they want a pissed off corpsman to greet service members and whiny family members just to piss them off even more so they can complain. I don't know how they correlate a smiling person as a threat, but someone that's just playing the system by going through the motions of checking boxes and manipulating others isn't a liability when poo poo hits the fan while people are only thinking for themselves.

higher morale would mean people with actual life skills would stay in, and dilute the power of :chiefsay:x100

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Recently my ~CRAZY UNCLE~ moved near my mom so I have been seeing him frequently. He joined the Navy right out of highschool and was kicked out twice. Then somehow got into the Army until he was medically discharged a couple years ago. I can't tell if he is deaf or crazy, but if you get him going on the Navy in the 70s he says he hated it. I told him about liberty buddies, cinderella curfew being standard, etc. He said that sounds like ever more bullshit and he wouldn't have made it (I don't know what that means exactly as he was kicked out for drugs I think).

He claims that SNCOs were always out to gently caress you over and the navy didn't care about sailors. Says when he joined the army it was a lot better as they supposedly take care of their guys. I don't remember the navy constantly trying to gently caress me but yeah a lot of senior enlisted were pretty lovely and would definitely throw you under the bus.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

He claims that SNCOs were always out to gently caress you over and the navy didn't care about sailors.

but yeah a lot of senior enlisted were pretty lovely and would definitely throw you under the bus.

:confused:

I see not much has changed

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Recently my ~CRAZY UNCLE~ moved near my mom so I have been seeing him frequently. He joined the Navy right out of highschool and was kicked out twice. Then somehow got into the Army until he was medically discharged a couple years ago. I can't tell if he is deaf or crazy, but if you get him going on the Navy in the 70s he says he hated it. I told him about liberty buddies, cinderella curfew being standard, etc. He said that sounds like ever more bullshit and he wouldn't have made it (I don't know what that means exactly as he was kicked out for drugs I think).

He claims that SNCOs were always out to gently caress you over and the navy didn't care about sailors. Says when he joined the army it was a lot better as they supposedly take care of their guys. I don't remember the navy constantly trying to gently caress me but yeah a lot of senior enlisted were pretty lovely and would definitely throw you under the bus.

Meh, you get the feeling that they're trying to constantly gently caress/throw you under the bus at some commands, although at this one it seems to be selective. It's a hell of a lot harder now I imagine, just because they need evidence for starters (like in my case where my Chief tried to gently caress me and get the whole Mess against me until my old Senior Chief came back and defended me). I've heard from a few dudes in the Army that switched from the Navy (a Radar tech, MM, and a Corpsman) that they enjoy it more because they got to do their jobs more and apparently it was cake compared to all the collaterals they had to pick up whenever they weren't baby sitting PFCs.

Hell, every eval cycle they're trying to throw someone under the bus for something just to beef up someone else's eval to a degree. It's a problem when you grade a corpsman that's a tech against a corpsman that isn't because chances are the people grading the evals are likely not techs, but quad zero NEC dudes that have no idea what it is you do. Cut me out of getting an EP for a few cycles. Not too surprised the Army let him in, corpsman I know got kicked out two weeks ago for an ARI he lied about, he just swore into the Army as an Infantryman and leaves after the holidays.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Pandasmores posted:

w got kicked out two weeks ago for an ARI he lied about, he just swore into the Army as an Infantryman and leaves after the holidays.

sounds like he got a cherry deal, being in the army, in peacetime, as an infantryman no less, is sure to be a real life-enhancer for that guy who couldn't quite keep his nose clean in the navy

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Analogical posted:

In another life I was on the fire department and they gave us the same reasoning for why we had to keep shaven. When we first came on they'd have the guys with beards do a mask test to prove it to us and it did impact the seal enough to be detrimental. Those weren't trivial beards, though. My beard right now is pretty short and I can't imagine a tightened mask wouldn't seal.

what about positive-pressure breathing systems like a scba? I've always heard that it doesn't matter in that case.

I get the cbrn side where a gas mask wouldn't be positive-pressure, though I typically think if you're donning mopp gear for non-training reasons on a ship you're already hosed, probably

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

krispykremessuck posted:

what about positive-pressure breathing systems like a scba? I've always heard that it doesn't matter in that case.

I get the cbrn side where a gas mask wouldn't be positive-pressure, though I typically think if you're donning mopp gear for non-training reasons on a ship you're already hosed, probably

For a standard postive pressure system it shouldn't matter too much. Also, the SCBA is a demand regulated postive pressure system so a poor seal can have a negative effect on it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I never had an issue with my OBA or EAB having a seal after I had been at sea for weeks without shaving.

Long as it's not some ZZ top beard poo poo it's fine.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

I never had an issue with my OBA or EAB having a seal after I had been at sea for weeks without shaving.

Long as it's not some ZZ top beard poo poo it's fine.

Yeah, this is the thing. A trim, well maintained beard won't be an issue unless you're already pushing the limits of whatever mask size fits you. It's only big, old, lumberjack beards that will really have an impact.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

You know what man: you have a terrible, whiny, immature attitude. I get that you're unhappy at your command, but have you ever stopped to do a bit of soul-searching to think that maybe the problem is partially your attitude/demeanor/behavior? Do you really, genuinely think that khakis at your command are "out to get you" or that khakis in general come to work scheming and plotting to gently caress over SN Pandasmores? It simply isn't true. There may be one or two douchebags like that at every command, but the wardroom/mess usually marginalizes those folks into harmless obscurity. 95% of your posts throughout the duration of the last 2-3 Navy threads (since I've been paying attention) have been you whining about your command. Seriously.

When I see your posts, all I see is a bitter, disillusioned, immature kid. I have worked with all 5 branches of the military and I have never met and officer/SNCO that honest-to-gently caress showed up to work and tried to poo poo on junior enlisted. There may be a lot of tough love, there may be a lot of bullshit taskers/menial crap that rolls down the pipe and lands on you, but guess what - that's any job. And you never magically become immune to it at any rank - not even at the FOGO level. The stupidity actually gets *worse* the more senior you get because you're that much closer to the political mouth-breathing.

You know, I spent 2 hours of my morning today chasing down a Master Chief and another LT because neither of them could loving muster on time. Where I work, we literally send police to people's house when they don't show up for work/phone in within a set period of time. It was within about 15 minutes of that "oh poo poo"-window for that Master Chief, too. Two man-hours worth of your tax-dollars chasing down an O3 and an E9, but you know what...everybody has to deal with menial/mundane crap they'd rather not be doing. That's life, that's any job. Ultimately I (and you) still get paid on the 1st and the 15th regardless of whether or not I'm raking leaves (done it), shoveling snow (done it), cleaning a shitter for motherfucking ADM Bill McRaven to not poo poo in (done it), climbing into a lube oil sump to clean it out (done it), pushing paper (doing it), or sitting in a cubicle (doing it). You're still getting a paycheck, have a steady job, health insurance, and can get your grill fixed for free.

I totally get that your experiences are wildly different from those of Chiefs and Officers. Absolutely not lost on me, wasn't born with a silver spoon jammed up my rear end. But, at some point man, you have to ask yourself if YOU'RE the problem walking around with such a pessimistic attitude about everything. People see right through all of the smart remarks and honestly, acting like that causes people to not want to be around you. People will marginalize you, write you off, and stop taking you seriously if you're perceived as "that guy who complains all the time"; you end up coming off as a brat, a child.

Think I'm being a cock by saying all of this? Less than a month ago you admitted to purposefully Christmas-Treeing an exam to sabotage your changes for promotion - who in their right mind does that?

I know people in this thread have tried to have their individual Come-to-Jesus (tm) moments with you, but goddamn...maybe its time to grow up?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 10, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

buttplug posted:

:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay: OBEY
:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay: THE NAVY
:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay:
:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

buttplug posted:

its time to grow up

This. Thanks, BP. I get the impression that you *look* for things to get angry about, Panda. Fix that. The only person who can change your situation is you.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

This. Thanks, BP. I get the impression that you *look* for things to get angry about, Panda. Fix that. The only person who can change your situation is you.

That ", Panda" makes all the difference. I read your post about 5 times and was like "is she...is she talking to me or Panda?" :D

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's not so much that, it's more that in the last month or couple Panda has generated a lot of his own grief it seems. On one hand, especially with the christmas-treeing of the test, literally throwing away 6 months of increased pay because :downs:"hurr I'm getting out". I understand that he's getting out and it is ultimately his choice on this poo poo, as am I in a year, but at the same time I wouldn't ever pass up the chance to get extra dollars for my time. I don't get paid enough for the poo poo I deal with, and from my point of view, the next rank up is the same flavor of poo poo, with a $400 a month pay increase.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ah, i didn't read the october or november navy threads, and wasn't aware of the latest of pandasmore's problems.
buttplug, sorry for the diss.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Even if you're 99.998% sure you're getting out of the military, you should NEVER just go "gently caress it, I'm getting out". It's always better to hedge your bets and keep on progressing/promoting/qualifying until you've no-poo poo got paperwork in hand.

Too often people go "eh, I'm getting out" and go dink on quals or other requirements and then have a change of heart at the absolute last minute. I've seen people (officers and enlisted both) go dink on PQS/quals and go "meh, I'm getting out, don't give a poo poo" and then at the last minute due to extenuating circumstances they decide to stay in but the extension on their qual or whatever has lapsed and they get non-qual'ed/attrite. At some point, it's even out of the CO's hands and the command is directed to start ADSEP paperwork. It sucks, but again, never sell yourself short.

tuluk posted:

buttplug, sorry for the diss.

No worries, I'm just calling it like I see it.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 10, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

An E-3 claiming to know better then everyone else at their command and be the lynchpin that holds an organization together?!?!? :monocle:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 10, 2014

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
actually, the military is lame + stupid + petty bullshit, and if you're not a retard or stuck with a fat wife and 9 kids/scared of having a real job, you pretty much leave as soon as humanly possible because having the bottom of the barrel in charge of pretty much every facet of your life is pretty terrible unless youre basically a drooling idiot who needs that sort of structure

gently caress em, get out and use your gi bill, no one on this side will ever give a poo poo about your rank or evals

e: can't wait til someone replies....b...b..but real jobs have drama too! yeah, and i get to leave every day at 4 and not deal with it constantly. also i can quit. suck my dick i strawmanned you all

panda: just go with the bullshit flow until you can get out, took me 5 years to finally just give in to ~the man~ and it was a lot easier after that tbh

justice4trayvawn fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 10, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

Too often people go "eh, I'm getting out"

The best advice I ever got as a junior sailor was to prepare as if you were doing twenty, regardless of what you're actually doing/think you're doing. That advice has never not served me well.

ManMythLegend posted:

An E-3 claiming to know better then everyone else at their command and be the lynchpin that holds an organization to gether?!?!? :monocle:

I don't want to dogpile the guy but yea, this 100%. His posts remind me a lot of my brother, who's an E4 (as an FC) and been in for five years and his command constantly shits on him but he's really the super star etc etc.

justice4trayvawn posted:

actually, the military is lame + stupid + petty bullshit, and if you're not a retard or stuck with a fat wife and 9 kids/scared of having a real job, you pretty much leave as soon as humanly possible because having the bottom of the barrel in charge of pretty much every facet of your life is pretty terrible unless youre basically a drooling idiot who needs that sort of structure

gently caress em, get out and use your gi bill, no one on this side will ever give a poo poo about your rank or evals

e: can't wait til someone replies....b...b..but real jobs have drama too! yeah, and i get to leave every day at 4 and not deal with it constantly. also i can quit. suck my dick i strawmanned you all

panda: just go with the bullshit flow until you can get out, took me 5 years to finally just give in to ~the man~ and it was a lot easier after that tbh

The military is also piss rear end easy to do well in. Like I show up with an attitude that isn't awful and I'm not a mouth breather, so I'm in charge of people and am generally left alone. I know why people stay in, it's tempting as hell to go back to a ship and make chief and be in charge of a bunch of idiots. If I didn't have kids I WOULD do that because for loving real the Navy is one of the easiest jobs (DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A NUKE THIS DOESNT APPLY TO NUKES OMG IGNORE THIS IF YOU ARE A NUKE) to excel in I've ever had. Like they hand you a nice organized checklist and say "If you do these things (ESWS/MTS/College?Volunteer/whatever) you will advance and make more money. It's also for the most part completely in your hands. If you're not advancing because you're an idiot and bad at tests (like my brother) you can fix that, unless you're a lazy piece of poo poo (like my brother)

I don't disagree that the military is full of petty bullshit and is generally terrible, but goddamn some of you guys post like the Navy literally desecrated your Dad's grave.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 10, 2014

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

PneumonicBook posted:

The best advice I ever got as a junior sailor was to prepare as if you were doing twenty, regardless of what you're actually doing/think you're doing. That advice has never not served me well.

I don't want to dogpile the guy but yea, this 100%. His posts remind me a lot of my brother, who's an E4 (as an FC) and been in for five years and his command constantly shits on him but he's really the super star etc etc.

The military is also piss rear end easy to do well in. Like I show up with an attitude that isn't awful and I'm not a mouth breather, so I'm in charge of people and am generally left alone. I know why people stay in, it's tempting as hell to go back to a ship and make chief and be in charge of a bunch of idiots. If I didn't have kids I WOULD do that because for loving real the Navy is one of the easiest jobs (DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A NUKE THIS DOESNT APPLY TO NUKES OMG IGNORE THIS IF YOU ARE A NUKE) to excel in I've ever had. Like they hand you a nice organized checklist and say "If you do these things (ESWS/MTS/College?Volunteer/whatever) you will advance and make more money. It's also for the most part completely in your hands. If you're not advancing because you're an idiot and bad at tests (like my brother) you can fix that, unless you're a lazy piece of poo poo (like my brother)

I don't disagree that the military is full of petty bullshit and is generally terrible, but goddamn some of you guys post like the Navy literally desecrated your Dad's grave.

i was a fast attack nuke and yeah it pretty much was that bad imo

but mostly I'm just trying to ruffle some hard charger JO feathers : o

but seriously......I work half to 1/3 the hours i did in the military and make 4x as much. That alone should leave any sane person scrambling for the doors v0v

justice4trayvawn fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 10, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

i was a fast attack nuke and yeah it pretty much was that bad imo

but mostly I'm just trying to ruffle some hard charger JO feathers : o

but seriously......I work half to 1/3 the hours i did in the military and make 4x as much. That alone should leave any sane person scrambling for the doors v0v

Absolutely agreeing with you. A lot of people don't actually improve themselves when they're in though. Like I'm kind of assuming you got a job solely based on what you did in the Navy, and I think for a lot of rates that's pretty rare. The big secret is that the Navy will literally pay you to go to school/get certs/do apprenticeships and essentially set yourself up for civilian life, but a lot of people are incredibly lazy. Whenever I ask people I work with when they're going to start school I normally get a response like "Oh, probably next month..." for every month. As a functioning human being that poo poo absolutely boggles my mind.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
To be fair fast attack nuke is like the European extreme/Dark Souls setting of the nuke field, which is already hard mode, so yeah.

In all seriousness, this job sucks but I don't understand why some people say "Life sucks so much," when they don't have fun things like "4 section" (which is for the nuke people I know easy), but honestly, if dealing with angry master chiefs and piss easy tests was the hardest part of life, I would be loving super happy.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

PneumonicBook posted:

Absolutely agreeing with you. A lot of people don't actually improve themselves when they're in though. Like I'm kind of assuming you got a job solely based on what you did in the Navy, and I think for a lot of rates that's pretty rare. The big secret is that the Navy will literally pay you to go to school/get certs/do apprenticeships and essentially set yourself up for civilian life, but a lot of people are incredibly lazy. Whenever I ask people I work with when they're going to start school I normally get a response like "Oh, probably next month..." for every month. As a functioning human being that poo poo absolutely boggles my mind.

I got out and immediately went to school and got an engineering degree which got me my job....it was 90% GI Bill. I did 2 years of solid training in the navy, including operating nuclear propulsion systems and welding, and didn't get a single solitary certification to do anything in the civilian world. For the most part, you're kidding yourself if you think the navy gives half a drat about setting you up to be successful outside of the navy.

I had some very poor leadership and will forever hate the navy because of it if you couldn't tell ;).....this is mostly due to just how much these people truly control your life. I dunno, not a fan of being the property of the government, especially now that I know the average military person that is in charge of others.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Here's a (not) shocking truth: being a junior enlisted Sailor is an entry level job, and you get treated like an entry level employee, with all the bullshit that entails, until you can prove you're a competent enough individual to adapt to the culture and lifestyle to not be treated like a barely functional child. If you can't manage to make the slight adjustments to your behavior and attitude required to not make everyone you work with hate you, congratulations, your time in the Navy will be terrible. Then, you will get out, and likely end up annoying your new civilian coworkers and boss just as much, but they don't have to live with you, so they just go home and bitch to their families about you instead of trying to make you adapt and become a functional worker because it's just easier that way.

And if you meet all the above criteria and are dumb enough to also enlist as a nuke, well, you probably deserve what you get.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Octopode posted:

Here's a (not) shocking truth: being a junior enlisted Sailor is an entry level job, and you get treated like an entry level employee, with all the bullshit that entails, until you can prove you're a competent enough individual to adapt to the culture and lifestyle to not be treated like a barely functional child. If you can't manage to make the slight adjustments to your behavior and attitude required to not make everyone you work with hate you, congratulations, your time in the Navy will be terrible. Then, you will get out, and likely end up annoying your new civilian coworkers and boss just as much, but they don't have to live with you, so they just go home and bitch to their families about you instead of trying to make you adapt and become a functional worker because it's just easier that way.

And if you meet all the above criteria and are dumb enough to also enlist as a nuke, well, you probably deserve what you get.

another jo??? :allears:

I'm very happy at my job and my coworkers like me and I never complain :)

I can assure you our entry level employees aren't treated like retarded shithead children that need babysitting, but feel free to think whatever you like as you furiously masturbate to your latest NAM or w/e

justice4trayvawn fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 10, 2014

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Octopode posted:

legit lol here, because the amount of money they throw at 'entry level jobs' and the 1.5 (well its 2 thanks to ~holds~), years of training is a garbage argument. Like, if most departments are full of fuckheads, that's an issue with US society but stop trying to get me to not carepost. The point is, the sup E3 life sucks, now what's his face is being a fuckhead for not doing the easy bullshit to get more $$$, but you ~lords and nobles~ will never understand the garbage the sub E3s have to go through. I mean, I would love to have to do the easy mode to ~take college in navy~, but as Ket showed, it will gently caress you if you want grants and ~actual real degrees~ when you get out.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

For the most part, you're kidding yourself if you think the navy gives half a drat about setting you up to be successful outside of the navy.

The myriad of programs the navy has that are setup specifically to do just that disagrees with you.

Navy COOL
Tuition Assistance
GI Bill
TAPS/GPS (to a lesser degree)
US MAPS

I mean maybe the Navy wants you to use these things to better excel in the Navy, but then why advance people that don't take advantage of these? Really, the BPME/IPME/PPME courses by the Navy War College are set up to further your actual Navy knowledge.

I'll concede that most commands won't give a poo poo if you're going to school full time while doing certs and US MAPS poo poo and won't give you extra time to get them done(some will), but the programs exist.

I mean there are a million opportunities the Navy gives you, I'd argue that if you get out of the military with just an NEC and your basic job training then you;ve done yourself a disservice.

Ryand-Smith posted:

legit lol here, because the amount of money they throw at 'entry level jobs' and the 1.5 (well its 2 thanks to ~holds~), years of training is a garbage argument. Like, if most departments are full of fuckheads, that's an issue with US society but stop trying to get me to not carepost. The point is, the sup E3 life sucks, now what's his face is being a fuckhead for not doing the easy bullshit to get more $$$, but you ~lords and nobles~ will never understand the garbage the sub E3s have to go through. I mean, I would love to have to do the easy mode to ~take college in navy~, but as Ket showed, it will gently caress you if you want grants and ~actual real degrees~ when you get out.

Taking college in the Navy only fucks you if you go to a garbage school and aren't prepared for the repercussions. Like I'm mostly agreeing with the ~lords and nobles~ because they're not wrong.

The only program I listed above that you need to be on shore duty to really take advantage of is TA.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 10, 2014

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

PneumonicBook posted:

The myriad of programs the navy has that are setup specifically to do just that disagrees with you.

Navy COOL
Tuition Assistance
GI Bill
TAPS/GPS (to a lesser degree)
US MAPS

I mean maybe the Navy wants you to use these things to better excel in the Navy, but then why advance people that don't take advantage of these? Really, the BPME/IPME/PPME courses by the Navy War College are set up to further your actual Navy knowledge.

I'll concede that most commands won't give a poo poo if you're going to school full time while doing certs and US MAPS poo poo and won't give you extra time to get them done(some will), but the programs exist.

I mean there are a million opportunities the Navy gives you, I'd argue that if you get out of the military with just an NEC and your basic job training then you;ve done yourself a disservice.

some of the programs are there yeah, I don't disagree....time and your command giving a poo poo are a wayyyyyy other factor though heh

also, 130 credit hours on my SMART transcript

i fought for 6 of them to count towards my degree

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

some of the programs are there yeah, I don't disagree....time and your command giving a poo poo are a wayyyyyy other factor though heh

also, 130 credit hours on my SMART transcript

i fought for 6 of them to count towards my degree

lol SMART transcripts are garbage.

Every week I ask my students "Who here has been told they can basically get a degree by applying all of your ~Navy Credits~ to it?" and every week I crush a lot of dreams. Better they know out of A school than learn when they've been in for six years.

Yea like I said your command probably won't give a poo poo but it's doable. Granted you kind of have to ignore your family for a little bit...

Some of the programs are super easy too, like US MAPS is a loving joke. Granted I don't know if the pieces of paper I'm collecting are worth anything, but it's not like it takes any actual effort to get them other than filling out a form on a website every week.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

PneumonicBook posted:

lol SMART transcripts are garbage.

Every week I ask my students "Who here has been told they can basically get a degree by applying all of your ~Navy Credits~ to it?" and every week I crush a lot of dreams. Better they know out of A school than learn when they've been in for six years.

Yea like I said your command probably won't give a poo poo but it's doable. Granted you kind of have to ignore your family for a little bit...

Some of the programs are super easy too, like US MAPS is a loving joke. Granted I don't know if the pieces of paper I'm collecting are worth anything, but it's not like it takes any actual effort to get them other than filling out a form on a website every week.

Is that the apprentice one? I knew one guy that was doing it but prolly called him a homophobic slur and walked away or something

ANYWAYS WHO IS HYPED FOR THE BIG ARMY NAVY GAME THIS WEEKEND EH FELLAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7x-NIeEeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXAaWyDWOY

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

justice4trayvawn posted:

Is that the apprentice one? I knew one guy that was doing it but prolly called him a homophobic slur and walked away or something

ANYWAYS WHO IS HYPED FOR THE BIG ARMY NAVY GAME THIS WEEKEND EH FELLAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7x-NIeEeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXAaWyDWOY

Yea its the apprenticeship one. You get a piece of paper from the Department of Labor that basically says 'Hey maybe this guy might no something in this field possibly'.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea its the apprenticeship one. You get a piece of paper from the Department of Labor that basically says 'Hey maybe this guy might no something in this field possibly'.

Please post your favorite USNA spirit spots whenst posting!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9xJbIEyf0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Slapfighting over USMAPS and college credits aside, I don't know of any job in the civilian world that lets you get shot off the end of a boat in an aluminum can at 150 mph. That's honestly kinda fun.

Dunno what non aviation guys get out of staying in, though. gently caress that noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akt6ifvLmnc

• Locked thread