Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Boon posted:

Posting on SA while in a log cabin in the Great Smoky Mountains. Is internet addicted.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Do you see any of those fugly fake trees that are like radio towers or whatever?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

buttplug posted:

I know people who have gone to Yale/Stanford/MIT/Georgetown/Harvard - all while active duty (3 of whom are still attending said institutions).

This is probably one of the coolest programs available for nobles. I know two guys who have done it (one of them is an SF officer in a language class with me) and it's a great deal. The payback tour kinda sucks, but that's the price you pay, I guess.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

buttplug posted:

I'm sorry for your experiences, but let me clue you in on a nugget of truth: the military does not exist to "set you up for success" once you get out. I don't give two shits what leadership gets up on their soapbox and spouts, it is simply not how the organization is structured. The military exists to fight wars and kill people. Plain and simple.

That being said, there are tons of opportunities within the military that you can utilize to set yourself up for success. It is pure fantasy that "the Navy" or anybody in it is going to just arbitrarily do anything for you purely of their own volition; however, in that same sense the military won't just "take care of you" for your future, either. BUT, if you ask for help and show that you're motivated to take advantage of those opportunities (and you can get the basics right like showing up for work, doing your job, quals, etc) and would like to pursue the nebulous aforementioned "opportunities" there are a shitload of people who will bend over backwards to obtain.

I've got $30,000 worth of certs -- all on the gov't time. I'm getting a master's on the gov't dime. I know people who have gone to Yale/Stanford/MIT/Georgetown/Harvard - all while active duty (3 of whom are still attending said institutions). Look at programs like STA-21, LEP (Law Education Program - send people to get their JD), or USNA programs (E4 in my divison was just picked up to go to the Academy). There are a ton of opportunities but nobody's going to drop that poo poo into your lap, especially not when you've got a weak-rear end attitude like Panda (and yours, apparently). The military didn't bone you and isn't boning him - you both boned yourselves by being negative-nancy whiners instead of applying yourself.

Yeah uh, taking advantage of literally any of those programs as a fast attack submarine nuke is impossible. These various opportunities are not accessible due to the extremely demanding deployment, maintenance and training schedule that is constantly maintained. Its great that you've been able to take advantage of these programs, but the person you're specifically criticizing wouldn't have had the opportunity to.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think I saw one guy try to take classes at my last command.

Yeah he dropped all of them.

Ok easy shore duty though yeah definitely

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah uh, taking advantage of literally any of those programs as a fast attack submarine nuke is impossible. These various opportunities are not accessible due to the extremely demanding deployment, maintenance and training schedule that is constantly maintained. Its great that you've been able to take advantage of these programs, but the person you're specifically criticizing wouldn't have had the opportunity to.

Pretty much what I was trying to say, not everyone's experience in the Navy is equal, or even comparable.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Because bubble heads never have shore duty and are the only sea-going, arduous-duty, deployable job in the Navy... :rolleyes:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

buttplug posted:

Because bubble heads never have shore duty and are the only sea-going, arduous-duty, deployable job in the Navy... :rolleyes:

this is a really bad post

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

buttplug posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what everyone is saying. Well done.

Not everything is black and white here, not everything is an extreme edge case and no one is saying that their particular rate/job/whatever is the worst ever.

Try and have some understanding that you don't actually understand everyone else's situation. I sure don't know a drat thing about serving on submarines, I've never done it.

Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, in which case please ignore me.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I'm not a fag.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

buttplug posted:

The first part of your post is pretty spot on, actually.

*Nuke bitching*

As a surface-nuke, I averaged 3 section duty + 12 hour workdays for about 8 of the 9 years I was on a ship. When I say duty, I mean it was down in the plant, skipping meals, usually 2-3 hours of sleep if I was lucky, not the "sit phone watch at the barracks and do a tour" like you might be thinking. Every 3rd day you're working all night. Every 3rd day you're sleeping off duty once you get home at 5-6pm. Good luck attending classes.

Then again, submarine-nukes had it worse than me in almost every way since they are regularly 2 section.

The only normal shore duty that nukes get is recruiting. Everything else (except for a few positions teaching A-school that mainly go to chiefs that have already done an arduous shore duty) is about as bad as sea duty. The -best- part of my shore duty was 5 section rotating shiftwork, ~10 hour days, 7 day workweeks.

*end nuke bitching*

Expecting anyone to have time to "better themselves" in that career path is ridiculous. If you have time to do all of those IT certs and a masters degree, you have a cake job.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
guys its m0t lol no need for da careposts

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Ket it's not like we were exclusively talking about nukes. I think I even mentioned that most of what I said doesn't apply if you're a nuke.

That being said, getting a master's and poo poo doesn't necessarily mean you have a cake job. Despite everyone's thoughts on the general enlisted population some of us actually apply ourselves.

Also yea who loving spilled all of this give a gently caress over the thread? I feel like I need a shower.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

blame m0t.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Christoff posted:

I knew one officer who was able to take some war college classes...

because she was incompetent and I did her job for her.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Most of the corpsmen I see dropping classes or stopping altogether are either not ready for the commitment of school. Doesnt help that some schools around base are small community schools that have limited programs or the upper level versions of those classes like the 300-400 level Bio/Chemistry courses arent available frequently due to not having qualified staff. A watchbill you cant always work around and an hour commute to the nearest university makes it even more complicated. They change the watchbills every year it seems depending on what person knabs it as a collateral to run it. The number of classes and hours in lab I would have missed would have been enough to get me kicked from the school. Online classes are totally doable though, its just a matter of them sitting down during watch or whatever to do it after finding a credible university.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

I knew one officer who was able to take some war college classes...

because she was incompetent and I did her job for her.

Truly, the Navy way.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

sorry i got excited

it is finals week so blame that

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
What I have learned from the last few pages of care in this thread is that it is apparently impossible to be both critical of an organization and successful within it. Gotta pick one or the other apparently.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
lmao fly away troll

the only success needed from the military is an honorable discharge

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

lmao fly away troll

:qq:

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

enjoy being Top Retard In Charge of ManChildren, congrats you made something of yourself lol

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

enjoy being Top Retard In Charge of ManChildren, congrats you made something of yourself lol

:qq:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

ManMythLegend posted:

What I have learned from the last few pages of care in this thread is that it is apparently impossible to be both critical of an organization and successful within it. Gotta pick one or the other apparently.

Nah, you can hate it as much as you want and move up.. Just don't project how much you hate it on everyone else, then your just a bitch.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Null Integer posted:

Nah, you can hate it as much as you want and move up.. Just don't project how much you hate it on everyone else, then your just a bitch.

I agree.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
p good thread

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

mark this date for it is the day that i qtiyd moker

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

KetTarma posted:

The first part of your post is pretty spot on, actually.

*Nuke bitching*

As a surface-nuke, I averaged 3 section duty + 12 hour workdays for about 8 of the 9 years I was on a ship. When I say duty, I mean it was down in the plant, skipping meals, usually 2-3 hours of sleep if I was lucky, not the "sit phone watch at the barracks and do a tour" like you might be thinking. Every 3rd day you're working all night. Every 3rd day you're sleeping off duty once you get home at 5-6pm. Good luck attending classes.

Then again, submarine-nukes had it worse than me in almost every way since they are regularly 2 section.

The only normal shore duty that nukes get is recruiting. Everything else (except for a few positions teaching A-school that mainly go to chiefs that have already done an arduous shore duty) is about as bad as sea duty. The -best- part of my shore duty was 5 section rotating shiftwork, ~10 hour days, 7 day workweeks.

*end nuke bitching*

Expecting anyone to have time to "better themselves" in that career path is ridiculous. If you have time to do all of those IT certs and a masters degree, you have a cake job.

I'm NOT disagree with anybody that trying to crank out certs or degrees on sea duty is next to impossible. You - like the last 3 people - are predominantly relaying your experiences being uber busy *at sea*. I loving get it - sea duty is not the time to pursue extracurricular. Sure. What I *am* saying is that there are plenty of opportunities while on shore duty to do so. It took me 6 years in the Navy before I had a chance (now) to sit down and crank out a master's. SN Timmy shouldn't expect to knock out a master's during his first tour (or even term) in any sea-going rate.

ManMythLegend posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. There is a LOT of poo poo that is hosed up with the Navy (and military culture in general). I could literally sit down and write a book on all of the hosed up experiences I've had so far. BUT, there's a lot of good with that bad, too, and there *are* a lot of opportunities to be had. Just because I didn't poo poo on the Navy in the last couple pages (because I was busy making GBS threads on Panda for being a perpetual whiner) doesn't mean I don't have my own gripes about the Navy. I started rolling my eyes when I began typing up this response and still haven't stopped because I have images of all the truly, truly stupid poo poo I've seen Big Navy during my time in. And you're a SWO - that more or less sums up your entire ~11 years right? ;)

PneumonicBook posted:

That being said, getting a master's and poo poo doesn't necessarily mean you have a cake job. Despite everyone's thoughts on the general enlisted population some of us actually apply ourselves.

In my case, it just literally means I have no social life for the next ~1.5-2yrs. I'm cranking out a technical master's and JPME I at the same time. I originally had orders to Naval Postgrad after my last duty station but opted for a special program that I got picked up for instead (and couldn't turn down once a 2-star threw his name in the hat for me). *shrugs* It's doable - it loving sucks, but it's doable. It also helps that I don't have a wife or any kids. Not saying pulling down any kind of degree while you're in the service is a walk in the park - there are only 24 hours in the day and at some point there will always be sacrifices that have to be made to accomplish your goals.

edit: And no, I literally do not work on any "school work" at loving work, either. Literally not possible even if I wanted to.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 11, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'll restate my post:

Some communities have shore duties that are just as poo poo as their sea duties. For people in those communities, the only option is to wait until postEAOS for significant self improvement.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
it's almost as if when you choose your rate, you also choose

... your fate !?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

uhg thats a hideous paunch

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DownByTheWooter posted:

... your fate !?

Choose your NEC choose your DESTINY!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

DownByTheWooter posted:

... your fate !?

ugh

shore duty guys where I work appear to have a pretty cool gig, a nuke mm1 I've worked with a couple times works in the LEAN office and basically helps me fix our broken sharepoint when I don't have time for it, and the other nuke guy I know does some poo poo with namts and pounds energy drinks all day which makes him mostly unintelligible. most of my other interaction with sailors here seems to be seeing people get dragged into the legal office by the MAs for dui/domestics or telling them I don't handle travel when they ask how to get to mandatory rehab

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. There is a LOT of poo poo that is hosed up with the Navy (and military culture in general). I could literally sit down and write a book on all of the hosed up experiences I've had so far. BUT, there's a lot of good with that bad, too, and there *are* a lot of opportunities to be had. Just because I didn't poo poo on the Navy in the last couple pages (because I was busy making GBS threads on Panda for being a perpetual whiner) doesn't mean I don't have my own gripes about the Navy. I started rolling my eyes when I began typing up this response and still haven't stopped because I have images of all the truly, truly stupid poo poo I've seen Big Navy during my time in. And you're a SWO - that more or less sums up your entire ~11 years right? ;)

I agree with you about this. :ssh:

My point was more to laugh at panda because the way he makes it sound the only way too be successful at all is to be the epitome of :chiefsay: which is objectively not true but is a distinction that is totally lost on your standard, entitled, whiny 18-20 year old.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

KetTarma posted:

mark this date for it is the day that i qtiyd moker

poo poo, why didn't somebody say J4T was moker? He's generally a pretty cool dude.

Like I disagree with the idea that it is impossible to use the Navy to improve your position, but I also agree that said opportunities are not the same across the service, like for nukes in general.

Basically, this:

DownByTheWooter posted:

... your fate !?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

justice4trayvawn posted:

Also, don't conflate success in the Navy with success at life.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo can we move on and talk about other poo poo. Like I know I complained a lot etc etc and I'm surprised moker hasn't brought up the mini-medals shore duty debacle but

Whatever gently caress you guys copy/pasting my post from the dogges thread because I'm on mobile and can't seek out tits or butts

incoming gif overload

hahaha

repost but meh

:(

YES

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My dog peed on our return_to_store bag so I'm not sure if they'll accept it anymore.

Here's your piss soaked clothes back.

Bad doggg

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Went to go empty out some old food from a tupperware and decided to do it in the hallway trash can to not stink up the joint. As i approach the can and open the lid of the tupperware someone turns the corner. I never planned for this contingency. We make eye contact, he sees my tupperware

To not seem weird I throw the whole thing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

... or telling them I don't handle travel when they ask how to get to mandatory rehab

Weird, usually the TAD office handles the rehab stuff here. Their command should be taking care of the paperwork, since its their money being used depending on the stay. You definitely dont want a guy that demonstrated irresponsibility with a dui or going into treatment to better themselves handling stuff like that. DAPA handles setting up care, command gets them there, even across states if treatment isnt available at a Navy facility but is in a civilian one elsewhere.

• Locked thread