Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Kinda mystifies me how many people here will leap at the chance to insult goons and the SA community every chance they get, yet they'll willingly continue to be a member of that community they despise so much. If you loathe this place and its members, either do something to positively change the community or leave. Nobody complains about goons as much as goons, and the self-loathing I see from the vocal minority here is perplexing. I know it's cool to never be happy or say something doesn't completely suck, but I believe this place is still one of the best moderated, funny, and enjoyable communities on the internet.

It's okay to admit you like the forums. It's okay to say the community here doesn't suck. And if you're one of the people who posts all the negative, cliched crap constantly coming from the lolgoonsux crew, try to figure out why you're still a member here. If you think reddit or 4chan or whatever are better communities full of better posters and content, migrate over there and take the negative attitude with you.

Anyway I still think this community is the best on the internet, and it's thanks to you guys, so take some pride in that and stop trying to put yourselves down every chance you get! Cheer up, Goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I like these forums, and i even like the front page.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The forums are good and so are the goons.

Nog
May 15, 2006

i'm actually the goon no one likes, everyone knows it's me but they're just too polite to say it so they just refer to "goons" in general to spare my feelings

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

Kinda mystifies me how many people here will leap at the chance to insult goons and the SA community every chance they get, yet they'll willingly continue to be a member of that community they despise so much. If you loathe this place and its members, either do something to positively change the community or leave. Nobody complains about goons as much as goons, and the self-loathing I see from the vocal minority here is perplexing. I know it's cool to never be happy or say something doesn't completely suck, but I believe this place is still one of the best moderated, funny, and enjoyable communities on the internet.

It's okay to admit you like the forums. It's okay to say the community here doesn't suck. And if you're one of the people who posts all the negative, cliched crap constantly coming from the lolgoonsux crew, try to figure out why you're still a member here. If you think reddit or 4chan or whatever are better communities full of better posters and content, migrate over there and take the negative attitude with you.

Anyway I still think this community is the best on the internet, and it's thanks to you guys, so take some pride in that and stop trying to put yourselves down every chance you get! Cheer up, Goons!

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I was going to kill myself today, but now I won't. Thanks, Tax.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Lowtax posted:

90% of the time its self depreciating humor to try and anger other goons. SA is great.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

TOILETLORD posted:

SA is great.

drat right it is.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
SA sucks and is bad and I hate it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, it might have something to do with the fact that the forum that a lot of people who help run this place think is the "funniest" forum is the one that seems to be pretty much dedicated to making GBS threads on goons

Maybe I'm crazy or whatever

Nog
May 15, 2006

lowtax, do another gooncon, but do it in seattle (during pax or something since like half the forums will be there anyway) so i don't have to travel far

once we meet in real life, then we can heal the wounds and begin to look at each other as real human beings with fragile emotions

also, i suggest we no longer refer to each other as goons and instead go with an honorific like "honored friend"

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Nog posted:

lowtax, do another gooncon, but do it in seattle (during pax or something since like half the forums will be there anyway) so i don't have to travel far

once we meet in real life, then we can heal the wounds and begin to look at each other as real human beings with fragile emotions

also, i suggest we no longer refer to each other as goons and instead go with an honorific like "honored friend"

i think i kinda hate you now after actually reading my first 2 nog posts

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

EVERYONE HERE IS FAT

but i still love you all

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Fabricated posted:

I dunno, it might have something to do with the fact that the forum that a lot of people who help run this place think is the "funniest" forum is the one that seems to be pretty much dedicated to making GBS threads on goons
We closed Helldump a long time ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I do not know where gooncon 2015 will be held, but gooncon 2016 will be held with sticks and stones.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I've been here 11 years and it is definitely the best community online and it is way better now than it has been the last few years.

I don't always agree with all the admin and moderator decisions, but this place is infinitely better than reddit, 4chan, and yahoo news comments.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The forums are good.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

We're all acting out because you don't spend enough time with us.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

GBS should be renamed to Goon Support Bureau to show our new direction

Nog
May 15, 2006

TOILETLORD posted:

i think i kinda hate you now after actually reading my first 2 nog posts

thank you for your honesty, honored friend

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think GBS is funny and good, but going around saying that doesn't match it's own sardonic brand of humor

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lowtax posted:

We closed Helldump a long time ago.

When GBS was ruled by a bunch of jackbooted catladies, Helldump was a necessary component of the forums, and when it closed but before GBS changed I almost never read the forums. Things are good now. Like most things in life, there needs to be balance.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Ratjaculation posted:

GBS should be renamed to Goon Support Bureau to show our new direction

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Are you trying to rebrand SomethingAwful

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

these forums are terrible, lowtax, i demand my $280 back

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Amateur Saboteur posted:

i think GBS is funny and good, but going around saying that doesn't match it's own sardonic brand of humor
I don't expect a GBS Pride Parade to happen, I'm just saying that the cliched "lol all goons suck" attitude some folks around here embrace is just really played out and not true.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I like the forums v:shobon:v

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

When GBS was ruled by a bunch of jackbooted catladies, Helldump was a necessary component of the forums, and when it closed but before GBS changed I almost never read the forums. Things are good now. Like most things in life, there needs to be balance.

Helldump was clearly aligned with the catladies to root out those goons with "terrible" opinions and LF 's roots lied in the "worst d&d poster" thread. It was certainly funny when someone really weird posted but the "commentary" on GBS threads was mostly awful.

naem
May 29, 2011

I like things!!!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Ratjaculation posted:

Are you trying to rebrand SomethingAwful
Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. Kudos.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think sa is overall the best forum on the internet and self-depreciation builds personality & camaraderie + keeps egos in check

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

BKPR posted:

We're all acting out because you don't spend enough time with us.

This is it.

Nog
May 15, 2006

saying that goons suck is cyber bullying, guys

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Thank you, dear Richard, for reminding us that the true enemy is out there. I'm never going outside again.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tuxedo Gin posted:

helldump was never necessary, and arguably was the worst thing that ever happened to the forums in terms of its destructive effect on the community

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't like fat people but this forum is pretty good but some of the sub-forums have some pretty bad people in them but even then compared to other people related to the topic of said subforums they are relatively better so I think Richard has gone a pretty good job hand-crafting this community and should be a proud forums-dad.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Helldump was clearly aligned with the catladies to root out those goons with "terrible" opinions and LF 's roots lied in the "worst d&d poster" thread. It was certainly funny when someone really weird posted but the "commentary" on GBS threads was mostly awful.

Not as awful as the GBS threads themselves. This was the dark ages of the forums. GBS was nothing but RSS feeds, catlady approved political opinions, and really unfunny PYF poo poo that got posted every 3 months.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Lowtax posted:

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. Kudos.

For you Lowtax, because I enjoyed your writing - I will no longer be mean to goons*

*excluding current unfinished business

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014