Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I like the goons that I've met. Mostly just goons in Chicago, but everybody was fun to hang out with. Also got donations of nice baby furniture from various awesome goons when we were expecting our kid. People would even drop it off because I didn't have a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i have it on good authority that lowtax frequents /r/bitcoin

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
conservative forums fascist catladies are v. good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Not as awful as the GBS threads themselves. This was the dark ages of the forums. GBS was nothing but RSS feeds, catlady approved political opinions, and really unfunny PYF poo poo that got posted every 3 months.

I think you are mixing up time periods - the negativity of helldump drove people to only make threads like that lest they be mocked. Helldump was the cause not the response. No one posted helldump threads about GBS threads like "d-list celebrity said something mildly racist" and "pyf cartoons", so those are the sorts of threads that survived. But that is the past, 2014 GBS is the best GBS has been in a long time so lets have fun here instead of dwelling on it.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i got drunk with a goon once in philly and wasn't even raped. goons are Good People.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

sexy young infidel posted:

well well welk

isn't the OP the guy that was smashing zunes for reddit a year ago

What?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Every time I get 4 posts into imgur I thank YHVH the creator for the Something Awful forums

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
The forums have improved a lot in the past year or so.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think you are mixing up time periods - the negativity of helldump drove people to only make threads like that lest they be mocked. Helldump was the cause not the response. No one posted helldump threads about GBS threads like "d-list celebrity said something mildly racist" and "pyf cartoons", so those are the sorts of threads that survived. But that is the past, 2014 GBS is the best GBS has been in a long time.

Agreed. Let the dark ages be a forgotten memory.

Lowtax, can you please ban anime outside of ADTRW? Thanks.

Nog
May 15, 2006

helldump was great when it started, but then it ran out of a good targets and started to feed on it itself and choosing people who once posted "i like sonic the game" and outing them as furries

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ive never "met" a goon irl but ive had friends who turned out to be on the forums. does this count. they are cool and fun people

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I believe most people like most parts of the forums but people are going to complain about what they don't like while not mentioning what they do like. Its like you order a burger with no pickles and get one with no pickles, you don't tell everyone how pickleless your burger was but if you order no pickles and get pickles everyone is gonna loving hear about it.

Its just human nature.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i like myself

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Is there an eta until thread highlights? New search?

These are things that will soften my anger

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

helldump was never necessary, and arguably was the worst thing that ever happened to the forums in terms of its destructive effect on the community

But there were some pretty terrible people here then.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

SA forums are great. I consistently get laugh out loud moments few times every week reading the forums.

The Russian ambulance drivers story my sides were hurting. Going to print it out and include in my Christmas cards with no explanation

Thanks SA. You entertaining glorious bastards

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Darth123123 posted:

But there were some pretty terrible people here then.

there are still terrible people, there will always be terrible people. helldump had some funny threads, but overall basically every community function sa had was destroyed by it.

the cost was too high, darth123123. the terrible cost of comedy.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 1, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

loco moco posted:

SA forums are great. I consistently get laugh out loud moments few times every week reading the forums.

The Russian ambulance drivers story my sides were hurting. Going to print it out and include in my Christmas cards with no explanation

Thanks SA. You entertaining glorious bastards

Ahaha those ruled I probably need to read them again.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

It's almost as if everyone has crippling depression

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Like any proper Beta, it's a sort of automatic reversion to self deprecating "humor."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I only dislike goons who didn't like Zunes

Zunes were the poo poo, they never got their chance to shine :911:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

delete byob

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I too hate Christmas

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Kinda mystifies me how many people here will leap at the chance to insult goons and the SA community every chance they get, yet they'll willingly continue to be a member of that community they despise so much. If you loathe this place and its members, either do something to positively change the community or leave. Nobody complains about goons as much as goons, and the self-loathing I see from the vocal minority here is perplexing. I know it's cool to never be happy or say something doesn't completely suck, but I believe this place is still one of the best moderated, funny, and enjoyable communities on the internet.

It's okay to admit you like the forums. It's okay to say the community here doesn't suck. And if you're one of the people who posts all the negative, cliched crap constantly coming from the lolgoonsux crew, try to figure out why you're still a member here. If you think reddit or 4chan or whatever are better communities full of better posters and content, migrate over there and take the negative attitude with you.

Anyway I still think this community is the best on the internet, and it's thanks to you guys, so take some pride in that and stop trying to put yourselves down every chance you get! Cheer up, Goons!

I like your website, Richard. I think you did a good job. I don't know if goons in general are retards, since I only know one goon, who is myself, so my evidence is very anecdotal, but I am married and a nice guy with a doctorate and family and a good job who none the less likes to post retarded oneliners in E/N about fat women stomping on pet spiders (there's a thread like that) from my phone when I'm bored on the train, so for all I know most goons are pretty normal and not as fail as we all like to pretend. Well that's my two cents. Thanks. Bye.

Oh yeah and that one goon who kept posting selfies with their retarded scrunched up face for attention was p. fail.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
SA is good I've never been screwed over on a purchase/trade with a goon. I joined this website as a young man and now I am an adult man with child-like features.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Concerned Citizen posted:

there are still terrible people, there will always be terrible people. helldump had some funny threads, but overall basically every community function sa had was destroyed by it.

the cost was too high, darth123123. the terrible cost of comedy.

what community function? gooncon and gooncamp? lord of the flies hepatitis village in hawaii? none of those were good.

there is still a good goon community. i've met loads of goons, in multiple countries, and it owns.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

CaptainAssholay posted:

SA is good I've never been screwed over on a purchase/trade with a goon. I joined this website as a young man and now I am an adult man with child-like features.

Same. I am a grown man with the rear end of a wistful child.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Minimalist Program posted:

Same. I am a grown man with the rear end of a wistful child.

whoah you a mod?

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Minimalist Program posted:

I like your website, Richard. I think you did a good job. I don't know if goons in general are retards, since I only know one goon, who is myself, so my evidence is very anecdotal, but I am married and a nice guy with a doctorate and family and a good job who none the less likes to post retarded oneliners in E/N about fat women stomping on pet spiders (there's a thread like that) from my phone when I'm bored on the train, so for all I know most goons are pretty normal and not as fail as we all like to pretend. Well that's my two cents. Thanks. Bye.

Oh yeah and that one goon who kept posting selfies with their retarded scrunched up face for attention was p. fail.

counterpoint, I am a 400+ lbs kissless virgin autist living in my mothers basement

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

it's self deprecating humor mainly and that's generally fine. but then some people on here run poo poo into the ground and others take it seriously.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
SA is pretty alright for an online community. Some goons are good, some goons are bad, most goons are somewhere in between.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Where's DPPH?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
We're actually all very health normal burly hardboiled swole alpha men around here. We just need to always deprecate people or else it's a sign of weakness. And so that's why we have giant urination sessions where we just piss on everyone so we can assert dominance

and that's why GBS smells strongly. To outsiders, it appears as if GBS is in a state of hateful chaos. But to us, it's called home and we don't even notice the the stench

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

TOILETLORD posted:

whoah you a mod?

No, the rear end is on me. It's my own rear end. It's not an rear end I "own" in the sense that it is attached to a real small child that is itself my property. But I can see how the grammatical ambiguity of my sentence might lead you to think otherwise, and wonder whether or not I was a pedophile, like Aatrek, a former mod here.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
GBS has too many Brits being self-depricating

Tax please don't allow those redcoats to register from hereonout

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
ive never met another goon in person so i dont know if i should hate them.... or not

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Ghaz posted:

counterpoint, I am a 400+ lbs kissless virgin autist living in my mothers basement

I will kiss you, if you want.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
these are easily the best forums around but goons that like to generalize all other goons have been here forever. this isn't something recent. i can remember "lol, goons" posts from the beginning of time

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the paradox threads are real good, b/c people like to have fun instead of have fits about how the kingdom of prussia is far too small by historical standards. and sometimes cool mods happen. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
A positive thought is that I enjoy playing video games with people who also use this forum. Sure some goons get spazzy as gently caress about video games but I've met some chill people over the years that I enjoy gaming with.

• Locked thread