Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rubix Squid posted:

Tankfish is made of tank! Go hit stuff with Bloctor.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Go with Pagus, become a wizard!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think my favorite part of this game is the thinly veiled loathing most of the athlum crew have for rush. David in particular doesn't stop hating the little bastard until near the end of the game.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Is it just me or is the video set to private?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think my favorite part of this game is the thinly veiled loathing most of the athlum crew have for rush. David in particular doesn't stop hating the little bastard until near the end of the game.

We had completely different views on Rush and David's relationship.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

PotatoManJack posted:

Is it just me or is the video set to private?

Oops, fixed now.

Welcome to Athlum

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Let's get physical.

For such a great-looking game, some of the animations are pretty stiff. David's walk-away animation in the Athlum video was awkward, for example. And Rush seems to have a perpetual overbite and/or his mouth is always hanging open, but it's kinda endearing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

They clearly spent all of their animation budget in the combat system and one specific scene around the latter bits of Disc 1. Every other animation is surprisingly stiff and weird.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's interesting to learn that this is a SaGa game in all but name. Do you think Unlimited Saga had anything to do with why this game is called The Last Remnant?

Oh yes, a vote for Pagus.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Go with Pagus. He's a swell guy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I don't think I've ever played a SaGa game. When the LP reaches a point where it wouldn't be spoilers, could someone familiar with that series point out the relationship (if there is any) between TLR's story and the SaGa games? It might be a lot to assume the stories are related rather than the mechanics, I guess.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Go with Pagus.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Having no real preference for either physical or magical arts at the moment, I'll go with the Cave of the Kidnapped Women because it makes more sense to me that Sykes would go there first.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
With a narrow one-vote lead, Pagus is the winner. I'll try to record later tonight. I'm also working on a writeup for classes and class changes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of classes, it sounds like being the class you want can be kind of a hassle, but are there any classes you don't want to land in or is it all just preference?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lotish posted:

Speaking of classes, it sounds like being the class you want can be kind of a hassle, but are there any classes you don't want to land in or is it all just preference?

Classes are chosen based essentially on how you're playing. It mostly matters if you have a certain build or goal in mind. Landing in the wrong class may not always be a disaster, but it can certainly delay you getting into the class you actually want.

One Tier 5 class - Scout - is notable for having much lower requirements than other classes of that Tier, and it's really easy to fall into it by accident - especially in a fresh game. Because of the lower requirements (STR/INT 41 compared to the STR/INT 47 for every other Tier 5 class), it can take a lot longer before you get an opportunity to change out of it at STR/INT 53). There are only seven tiers of classes, though, so there's only a few things you could get after Scout anyway.

Scout is easy to get in a fresh game because it requires you to have higher Item Arts than Mystic Arts, specifically high Herbs. Rush starts out knowing Herbs, doesn't get mystic healing (Remedies) for a little while. Herbs can revive KO unions a lot earlier than Remedies, so getting a lot of use out of Herbs is really easy. Scout can really hamper progress towards other classes.

On the other hand, Scout is good for a few reasons: It boosts the effectiveness of Herbs, it increases the duration of Buffs, your AP costs for arts are reduced, and Scouts have an increased likelyhood of getting commands to heal.

Needless to say, in the LP, I'm turning off Item Arts on Rush. Maybe later after I've established my Mystic Arts cred, I can turn on Lotions, because those actually do have a very valuable niche that Remedies can't fill.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 5, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lotish posted:

Scout. And the sad thing is it's really loving easy to fall into Scout, since it just means "Use a lot of Item arts" and believe you me, if you don't turn it off, you'll use a LOT of Item Arts.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I had thought that I could squeeze both Blocter and Pagus's missions into one update, but I am bad at estimating things, so instead they'll be two separate updates (and I'm changing the title for Pagus's update, because I found a better line). The good news is that they'll be coming fairly close together because I've got the screenshots and transcriptions done for them both. I just have to encode the videos and upload them.

Also each update will have a pair of animated GIF's. I'm not sure how often I'll do that, they're hard to keep below 2 MB without butchering the quality completely, and I'm still tinkering with the settings.

I'll also be going back and adding in "Turn X" graphics into previous updates to help make the battles clearer. It's unlikely that I'll be including screenshots for every turn of all battles, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2014

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how good/bad is it for me to be BR2 when I've reached Balterossa for the first time?

I haven't really managed to "get" how this game works quite yet but it feels like I'm doing something right.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Koorisch posted:

So how good/bad is it for me to be BR2 when I've reached Balterossa for the first time?

I haven't really managed to "get" how this game works quite yet but it feels like I'm doing something right.

If you're playing on PC, BR isn't really going to screw you for most things. While they did change it so rare monster stats scale with BR, that doesn't really matter for most of the quests or anything. I mean, if you keep BR super low I guess you could do some quests slightly earlier, with less units/unions, but none of those quests expire until after you'd be able to do them with 15 units, 4 unions so there's little to no reason; by the time you increase your unit/union size the BR scaling will be fair and doable on the quest rares.

On 360 low BR was pretty much a necessity for some things (BR tanked item drops) and gaining it wasn't as useful (you couldn't turn skills off manually, so units gaining new skill sets was sometimes actively harmful), but on PC feel free to fight everything you see, preferably in a link/chain to maximize stat and skill gains.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Emma is a cool lady. Calm, strong sense of duty and loyalty, facial scars, nice haircut and can kick lots of rear end. That's not your usual first female party member in JRPGs. Usually it's a timid, pretty girl who is a glorified nurse/mother replacement. This game seems pretty cool so far.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Emma is a cool lady. Calm, strong sense of duty and loyalty, facial scars, nice haircut and can kick lots of rear end. That's not your usual first female party member in JRPGs. Usually it's a timid, pretty girl who is a glorified nurse/mother replacement. This game seems pretty cool so far.

Emma is pretty awesome. One thing that's never... quite explained is why Rush thinks Emma was Irina at first, they don't look alike at all. I guess he just figured "Woman on the battlefield, my sister!" but it does feel like they maybe dropped a plot point.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Steam claims I played this game for 16 hours at some point, but literally the only thing I remember about it is that Emma is the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Onmi posted:

Emma is pretty awesome. One thing that's never... quite explained is why Rush thinks Emma was Irina at first, they don't look alike at all. I guess he just figured "Woman on the battlefield, my sister!" but it does feel like they maybe dropped a plot point.

Rush is dumb. Mystery solved!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Maybe he's seriously nearsighted. What would help Rush integrate better into society would be the ability to see street signs and facial expressions. :downs:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Koorisch posted:

Oh, you’re in Balterossa at BR 2, huh? Go try “The Ancient War” quest. Let me know how that goes. I’ll wait. :allears:

You are clearly doing a “low BR” run, whether you meant to or not, and you are seemingly under the impression that you must never fight any normal enemies at all. Being too low a BR can never screw you unless you only have one save game, and you overwrite it in an area which you can’t leave without beating a boss. Any other case, the worst that’ll happen is you have to go grind up some stats.

For reference, I reach BR 2 by the end of both the Bloctor and Pagus dungeons. I am impressed that you made it past Blackdale though.

Koorish, you seem to be under the impression that the level scaling in The Last Remnant works exactly like Oblivion's, where enemies will always be at your same level. That is NOT the case.

Enemies in The Last Remnant scale within a range. They have a minimum and a maximum BR. An enemy which has a base BR of 40-42 and a max BR of 46-49. will always be at least BR 40, regardless of whether you enter the fight at BR 2 or BR 40. On the other hand, if your BR goes past 49 when you fight them, they won't scale up any more regardless of how high your BR gets

BR is a measure of the number of battles you've fought and their difficulty. You only gain stats at the end of battles, including health. Avoiding battle entirely means you're not gaining stats.

I can personally attest to a nasty fight against a bunch of bonus bosses where I couldn't defeat them after a dozen tries, but after I went out and fought battles, increasing my BR AND STATS to get closer to their BR, then the fight became easier - not easy, but I beat it on the first try at my higher BR.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Good post. I've got something more to add after (I think) the next wandering town section.

Essentially this. As far as I can tell, Rush knew "Irina was taken east", so his 'plan' was to cross over to the mainland and keep going east, which led him to the forest where he heard the noise of the army, and saw a vaguely female figure in the battle.

EDIT: This is what Rush saw, without the benefit of a a zoom-in for the audience.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 7, 2014

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

RedTonic posted:

Maybe he's seriously nearsighted. What would help Rush integrate better into society would be the ability to see street signs and facial expressions. :downs:

The intro of the game cuts out all the trees, woodland creatures, and geological features which Rush ran towards yelling "Irina!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think you're kind of forcing it guys.

Obviously the actual reason is that Sykes has never seen a woman outside his mom and sister, so when he sees a woman he simply discounts the possibility of her being his mom since she's in whatever lab she's at, meaning it can only be Irina!

e:

It's simple deduction!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Mehuyael posted:

I think you're kind of forcing it guys.

Obviously the actual reason is that Sykes has never seen a woman outside his mom and sister, so when he sees a woman he simply discounts the possibility of her being his mom since she's in whatever lab she's at, meaning it can only be Irina!

Moms are tough. :colbert:

I forgot how nice looking the areas in this game are. Even though the cities aren't really huge areas that you can roam, they do feel like they are the right scale.

I kept expecting the Athlum sword remnant to turn out to be like the sword in Grandia and become a space ship.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 7, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Koorisch posted:

You're doing very, very well for a casual play, and you're probably even at the point where it'll start causing you problems. Hyper-low BR runs require a little preparation, usually in the form of prepping a NG+ game to get fantastic weapons out the gate.

What Stabbey doesn't mention: the chance of gaining stats at the end of a battle is partially determined by how low your BR is compared to the enemy - a good rule of thumb is the starting position of the morale gauge. If it's sunk into the red you're fighting something higher than you, so you're probably going to gain a ton of stats. If it's in the blue, you're mopping up low-level enemies and not getting any benefit. All you really need to do on PC is try not to hit the latter point too often.

People start out with the same stats no matter your BR, so the lower BR you have when you get to them, the more powerful they are for that BR and the more 'time' you have to train them up even higher. So you've sort of got a headstart there.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Stelas posted:

What Stabbey doesn't mention: the chance of gaining stats at the end of a battle is partially determined by how low your BR is compared to the enemy - a good rule of thumb is the starting position of the morale gauge. If it's sunk into the red you're fighting something higher than you, so you're probably going to gain a ton of stats. If it's in the blue, you're mopping up low-level enemies and not getting any benefit. All you really need to do on PC is try not to hit the latter point too often.

While this isn't false, it's way over-stated for anything other than, as you mentioned, NG+. Chain number and length of battle also determine stat increases, after all. And stuff scales to a min and max with your BR to the point that, as long as you link a bunch of things and keep chain high, every battle will contain at least one group that's stronger than you and you'll gain a ton of stats and skill ups.

On 360 BR scaled faster than stats and that was terrible--linking may have even modified it further in a bad way--but on PC it all works out just fine and stat gains tend to be well-tied to BR gains such that you're not really going to screw yourself if you did fight one enemy that was weaker than you, all alone, every now and again. You just wouldn't want to actively grind like that.

Stabbey's point about enemy BR having a set min and max range, depending on your own BR sometimes, holds true for the majority of enemies including bosses and some quest bosses. Rare monsters are the only real exception and some of them are quest bosses or appear during quests, but the only way having low BR helps you win easier is if you know how to cheese weapons (NG+ being easiest) and know which units to focus for high stats on recruitment. Otherwise, a higher BR won't make fighting them too hard or anything and, at a certain point, you'd even eclipse their max BR range.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Look closely at their faces, shining with depravity!

The Robelia Ruins.
Then, you’re decided?
Yeah, let’s check it out!
The ruins, then? Go. Pagus will accompany you.
I look forward to working with you, Rush.

Pagus’s squad has joined the party.

You get an opportunity to change your mind, but the thread’s decided, so I’m sure.

This shot will become very familiar-looking. Athlum Castle is now our base of operations. If you ever get confused about where the main plot is, you can helpfully return here and Dave will remind you. The Four Generals will also chime in with their thoughts on the current mission. Let’s do that now, in fact.

Remember, you’re before Lord David now. Watch your tongue.
Okay, okay! You don’t have to hit me again!
Hey, Rush. Before you leave town, make sure your equipment is all set, alright?
Oh yeah! I’m good to go!
The Gaslin Caves and Robelia Ruins… Perhaps a clue to finding Miss Irina can be found there.
So what’s the story with those places anyway?
The Gaslin Caves are a stretch of caverns created by massive earthquakes long before Athlum was founded. Robelia Castle was built 300 years ago by Baron Vonn d’Herouet, who, incidentally, was later betrayed by one of his vassals and killed. By now, both locations have come to be inhabited by monsters and criminals…
Heya Torgal.
So… You are the son of the famed Doctors Sykes. Lord David is completely committed to helping you locate your sister Irina.
Awesome!

Music: The Known World

- Video: Dungeon: Ruins of Robelia Castle (Tutorial)

Ruins of Robelia Castle - The late Baron Vonn d’Herouet once resided in this castle. Rumors pervade that there is a labyrinth below it, but they have yet to be confirmed.

Music: Creeping Shadows

Okay, got it.
Take this. It is an Alizarin Orb. It will enable you to use Mystic arts.
Mystic arts?
Perhaps the term “spell” is more common… It’s a way to channel energy through your weapon, with fantastic results.
Huh…
With this Alizarin Orb, you can channel spells through your weapons as well. Now you can attack enemies with mystic arts.
Cool! Thanks a lot!

Obtained Alizarin Orb! Rush can now use Invocations!

Additionally, let me give you this map of the area.

Obtained Robelia Ruins Map 1!
Finding a map allows you to check your current position. Press {M} to display the map.

With these, you should be ready for anything. Now then, shall we go on?

New Game Plus, so I have all the maps already.

Actually, let’s not go on just yet. There’s a couple things worth discussing first.

The game automatically organizes your unions for the tutorial sections. We get Pagus and two generic Athlum soldiers.

Pagus

One of Athlum's Four Generals. Master of intelligence gathering, he's also quite the history buff.
(Voiced by Chris Kent.)

Class: Expert Shaman
Initial BR: BR 5
HP: (325)
Str / Int: (18 / 28)

Current Arts
  • Two-Handed: Double Strike
  • Invocations: Spark
  • Remedies: Restore
Future Arts
  • Wards @ BR 50
  • Herbs @ BR 26

Comments
Pagus is a mage all the way. He starts with a Combat Art, but he’ll never be that good in melee, so you may as well disable that so he can conserve his AP for spells. He’s the only unique leader who starts out as a Shaman, which is the starter class for Mystic characters. He is one of only FOUR leaders (before BR 80) who can get Wards. It happens pretty far into the game, but you should definitely learn them. Pagus is well suited to leading a union of mystic users. He can learn Herbs, but you may want to turn them off either right away, or wait until he learns Vivication Herb before turning them off.

Because we went with Pagus first, we get control over Rush’s arts menu now. If we’d gone with Blocter, we wouldn’t. So let’s see what our idiot hero knows.

:stare:

The benefits of New Game Plus. A clean save only has Rush knowing Invocations, Herbs, and Omnistrike. Obviously, I’m turning off most of these, and only leaving Invocations, Remedies and Psionics. (No one ever turns off special arts.) Especially important is turning off the pesky Herbs – I’ll explain why in the mini-update on class changes.

Music: Flamedrop

The monsters here are weak against mystic arts. You’d do best to concentrate on mystic attacks. I’m here with you, so you shouldn’t have any trouble!
Okay, I’ll give it a go!
Well then. Shall we?

Directing units to use mystic attacks will make them channel energy through their weapons to perform mystic arts. Mystic arts encompass everything from long-range attacks to recovery spells. However, they can take a long time to cast.

By “a long time to cast”, it means that better stuff has a higher AP cost, and it will take a couple turns to build up enough to cast a spell. This is as opposed to Item Arts, which can be used immediately at no AP cost.

Actually, let’s explain AP better, as I don’t think I’ve done so yet. AP is your Action Points. Each unit in a union gets so many AP at the start of their turn, and each unit has a maximum amount of AP it can store. In a union, those values are pooled together for each unit into one big shared pool. So even though David might personally only have 5 AP, he can still cast a 10 AP art because the union as a whole has 20. This leaves 10, and if another unit has an art that matches the battle command, they can cast it as well.

Units which do not have enough AP to use an art will either perform a normal attack if at close range, or else stand by and do nothing. Any units in a union which are unable to comply with heal or buff commands will stand by.

Any unused AP is carried over to the next turn - even if your union is KO'ed. Only a few select attacks can deplete the AP of an enemy union.

AP is used for performing Combat, Mystic, and Special arts, but not Item Arts.

Claude the qsiti attacked the vile lizard with a physical attack, which as you can see did 115 damage, but only took off half its health. He then blocked an attack.

The Mystic attack did 363 damage though. An Overkill is when a unit takes 2.3 times their maximum HP or more in damage. I think getting an Overkill also improves the drops from an enemy, but I’m not sure.

Claude dodges out of the way of the attack, and…

-Critical Trigger-
Sometimes during battle, a Trigger Chance will occur. During a Trigger Chance, you’ll be given a brief opportunity to press a certain button on the controller. A well-timed button press will launch a Critical Trigger, giving your side a definite advantage in battle.

Successful Trigger Chances while on the attack will launch a Critical Offense. This will cause the next friendly unit to act faster than usual. Successful Trigger Chances while being attacked can launch a Critical Defense. This can change a simple block to a shield bash, or a dodge to a counterattack.

If you find you just can’t keep up with the timing, Critical Triggers can be switched to occur automatically through the Config Menu. (Critical Trigger Settings have been added to the Config Menu!)

Critical Triggers are QTE’s which occur during battles. They’re the only way you can influence a battle between turns. They’re not too hard to hit, except if you have switched turbo mode on, which makes the battles go a lot faster, and also speeds up the QTE’s to impossible speeds. If you switch turbo on, you’ll also want to change Critical Trigger settings to automatic. That gives you an 80 percent chance to hit them. That seems high, but you can usually do a lot better hitting them yourself.

The QTE’s are not required for the attack to connect or the defense to work – that will happen even if you flub it. They just have a chance to add extra effects.

Critical Defense will either happen on a dodge, a block, or a parry. On a successful Dodge QTE, you get a Counter, which deals a huge amount of damage to the attacker, something like 5 times normal attack damage (maybe more?). A Block with a shield can let you do a Shield Bash, which also does damage, but not as much as a counter. A Parry will inflict Blacked Out status on the target, which lowers their physical defense to zero and prevents them from acting for the rest of the turn.

Critical Offense will happen on an offensive command by one of your units, and if successful, the next teammate who would move after an enemy will get their turn before an enemy.

Example:

This is the initial state of who will act in this turn. Now, let’s say Rush gets a Trigger Chance, and lands a successful Critical Trigger.

Blocter now moves in front of Vile Lizard A. Because Rush landed a critical trigger, Blocter is guaranteed to also get a trigger chance. He lands it…

And Emma moves up. As before, she is guaranteed to get a trigger chance. She lands it, to move Torgal up.

The chain continues until Torgal receives and also lands a Trigger chance, moving Pagus up.

Pagus, as the last unit to act, will NEVER get a QTE. But because both at least the last two other allied units moving directly before him (Emma and Torgal) both succeeded at the QTE, than Pagus’ attack will be an guaranteed critical hit, AND if he was going to use a normal Attack, AND there is enough AP, that unit will be upgraded to perform an art instead. This will often be enough to destroy the enemy union preventing them from acting.

You never get a Crit.Off. QTE if an attack will miss or be blocked, and if you successfully hit a QTE mid-round, the next unit will always get a prompt. Those two things together mean that if you hit a QTE, than the next person to move will never be blocked or dodged.

You also don’t get a QTE prompt if the unit is taking a defensive action like healing or casting a defensive spell, but if there’s another unit who will take an offensive action afterwards, than they will get a QTE. For example, if Emma’s action was to heal, she would not get a QTE, but if Torgal was going to cast Mystic Missile, he would get a QTE.

The Last Remnant is nice for all the little details it thinks of. For instance, this pile of debris in the middle of the castle.

Wherever there’s a pile of rubble in the game, you can usually see the hole where it came from. How many times in games have you been in old collapsed ruins and had your path blocked by rubble which apparently came from absolutely nowhere? Here, there’s almost always a hole. That’s a nice attention to detail.

When you get targeted by an aggressive enemy, you get a sound notification, a warning in the bottom left, and an indicator of its position on the minimap. But actually, I’m here because of the glowing door.

This gate is a Remnant. Only the one bound to it may open it.
So what do we do?
Hmmm… When it comes down to it, it IS a door… It stands to reason that it would have a key.

Obtained Slayer Stone!
This is it. This Remnant is the key. Let’s try it on that door.

The seal has been broken.

-Deadlock Interference and Deadlock Interception-

If an enemy union is attempting to Deadlock a friendly union, but is instead caught in Deadlock itself
(by a different friendly union), this is called Interference. When it’s the player’s side that gets caught, it is called Interception.

Once contact occurs, it is treated as a deadlock, and there is no attack bonus, although the intercepting side gets a Morale boost. The intercepted unit will perform the commands it was following on the intercepting unit.

The ‘???’ means that it’s a map transition to a place we haven’t entered yet. Once we have, it’ll display the name of the next area.

Small floor. The right-hand room has a treasure chest containing Greaves, which grant +3% Speed. I put them on Rush.

The left-hand room has a pair of Chimeras, who have both linked into the fight. I’m having Rush practice his Psionics with Bluff, because Psionics level up faster than damage-dealing mystic arts. Chimeras are noticeably tougher than anything else so far – it actually takes three turns to kill them.

You’ve captured a monster!
Captured monsters may be split for components. However, intact monsters may be sold in certain shops for high prices. Choose wisely – you only get the choice to split a monster once. Once certain monsters have been sold to shops, those shops may begin selling trade goods.

The list of items in the bottom right is the components we’ll get if we split this monster.
Components listed in white are common components that drop easily. Components listed in blue are breed components. I think those are also fairly common. Components listed in green are “Magazine Drops”, which are a separate category of drops you have a chance to get if you have acquired a specific magazine. Components listed in pink are rare components that have only a 5% chance of appearing (or less).

In general, if don’t have many of the component, split the monster for them. If you want trade goods or need money, then sell monsters (preferably only ones which will only yield common items when split.

I have 2 Chimeras captured. Unfortunately, you can only decide to split Chimera #2 if you split Chimera #1. If you decide to sell Chimera #1, you can’t split Chimera #2.

That does it for this version of Robelia Ruins, next up is the boss.

- Video: Occupy Athlum?

So, as you see, Remnants are nothing more than evil charms, meant to add to the depravity of man. You may not see the effects now, but not far into the future, terrible disaster awaits! By then it will be too late to change our sinful ways. Men are meant to work hard and make their own way. We must not accept the temptations of easy life that Remants provide.
Crowd: *cheers*
Stand up and fight! The first step is here: we will strike Athlum with the hammer of justice! See our allies here, dressed as Athlumian soldiers.

They will infiltrate that city of sin and cause a disturbance. That will be our chance. Come, let us liberate the people from their chains!

What the heck is this?
Hmmm… seems like an anti-Remnant activist rally.
Sounds more like anti-Remnant terrorist activity to me. Whatever they’re planning’s gotta be dangerous!

Who’s there?
…!
Oho! It seems we have guests! Lackeys of that magic-abusing Marquis of Athlum.

Look closely at their faces, shining with depravity! Woe, for it is too late for these unbelievers to be saved! Yet they can serve some purpose: a prelude to the cleansing of Athlum! We shall christen our movement with the blood of these servants of evil!

This guy’s psycho!
Prepare yourselves!
*sigh* I suppose there’s naught we can do but fight.

Music: Struggle Eternal

- BOSS: Anti-Remnant Activists

Mission: Defeat the Anti-Remnant Activists!

Hey, I’ve got a question. If you guys are such anti-Remnant nuts, why’d you lock the door with a Remnant?
S-shut up, you servant of evil!

So here’s our boss battle for the dungeon. We’re up against the Anti-Remnant Activist and 4 of his lackeys. Like all bosses (and rare monsters), the activist’s health bar is obscured – we can’t know how much he has left, or how much damage we’re doing to him. We can only tell if he’s near death if his portrait starts flashing red.

Let’s clean up these fiends!

Here’s what landing a Critical Offense does for us. Note the turn order to the left now…

… and see how Pagus moves up in the turn order. Going before your enemies does is a huge help, and it can save you a lot of health. Unfortunately, the Yama dodged the shot from Pagus, so that union is still alive.

The animations are really great in the game. Bluff is the basic Psionics spell. It does no damage, but it substantially moves the Morale bar in your favour.

:stare: That was really close. I hadn't bothered saving my game in here, so if Pagus had died, there’s no question I’d have to have restarted the dungeon – there’s no way Rush could withstand going 1 on 3. This is why you should save often. Also, when you have high morale, it boosts your defense, so it’s likely that Rush’s use of Bluff was directly responsible for saving Pagus.

I have two choices: Break deadlock completely so both Pagus and his soldier (Luanne) can use healing arts – but take extra damage, OR Pagus will heal and Luanne will attack, maintaining deadlock. I chose the latter option, because Pagus should be able to fully heal the union anyway.

Rush will break his deadlock with the boss to attack the union flanking Pagus. Rush will take extra damage when the boss attacks us, but he's at full health, and this will prevent Pagus from getting flanked.

Oh crap, two enemies are going to go before Pagus, and that is very bad.

But wait!

Ha ha! Yes! Critical Triggers save the day! Pagus heals his union back to full. Of course, the bad guys knock him back to half health, but he’s alive.

I blew this trigger, though, letting them take Rush’s Troop down to half health before Rush one-shot them with Spark. That’s not helpful, because now Rush is about to get…

-Raidlock-

It is possible to force a union into Deadlock without being physically nearby. This is called a Raidlock. Damage dealt increases during a Raidlock

That first sentence is completely wrong, I don’t know what wires got crossed there, but ignore what that said. Here’s what a Raidlock really is:

A Raidlock is a one-turn surprise attack against a vulnerable union. They get a morale and attack bonus.

A Raidlock can be triggered in the following ways:
  • A union in a deadlock breaks the deadlock to perform another action (such as healing an allied union), and is attacked by the unit they were deadlocked with.
  • A union is on standby and is attacked by another union.
  • A union is performing a long-range attack and is attacked by another union.
  • A union receives a flank or rear assault command, but at the time the command is actually executed, there are no other unions deadlocking the target.

I took a great deal of damage from getting Raidlocked, and that is why you should try to avoid breaking Deadlock. Don't be afraid to do it when it's necessary, but don't do it without good reason.

I select “Heal while attacking” options for both, and that works – no one dies and we get back up to decent health. Also, this happened – not as part of the battle, just as a generic “background fighting” animation which plays when it’s not that unit’s turn.

Music: Reversal

I love this music. On “Disc 1”, it plays if you maintain high Morale for 2-3 turns in a row. It can also play if there’s a drastic, end-to-end flip in Morale for either side quickly.

Just the boss left now, so we’re pretty much in the clear.

Done. Like monsters, humans also explode in sparkles when you kill them, it's not a monster-specific thing. He is dead. Anything which survives a boss battle either is still standing, or runs away.

-Mystic Chance-
A Mystic Chance gives the opportunity to learn a new Mystic Art, or level up and existing Mystic Art. You may choose the art you would like to learn from a list.

You can only get one Mystic Chance per battle. If you’ve got enough experience in one of the game’s many, many, many, many, many, *deep breath* many, many, many hidden XP bars, Rush can learn or upgrade a Mystic Art. Other characters learn an art automatically. It’s possible for you to have more than one Mystic Art to choose between to level up, but you can only pick one. The ones you don’t pick aren’t gone, they just have to wait for the next Mystic Chance. You can only learn Mystic Arts after a battle’s conclusion.

The Item and Combat arts can be learned mid-battle, and I don’t think there’s a limit to the number you can learn (although you’re not likely to learn more than three).

I like that not everyone was a fight-to-the-death zealot. Most are just ordinary people with unpopular views.

Anti-Remnant Activist: To have such overwhelming power… No, Remnants are nothing but trouble.
Anti-Remnant Activist: We won’t give in to oppression!
Anti-Remnant Activist: What… what’re you trying to do? Leave me alone!
I’m looking for my sister Irina! Has anyone seen or heard anything?
Anti-Remnant Activist: Irina? Sorry, I’ve never heard of her.
Anti-Remnant Activist: Get away from me, Remnant-user!
Anti-Remnant Activist: Remnants aren’t a necessity! Why can’t you understand that?
Miss Irina wasn’t here? I see… Although, perhaps it is for the best. For now, let us return to Athlum.

Transporters can be found all over the world. One touch can teleport you to the World Map from even the deepest dungeon.

Yeah, but…
…I see, Miss Irina was not there. Perhaps there is a clue to be found at the Gaslin Caves. Many young women have been seen there in the company of a certain group. Blocter, try not to go too overboard.
Let’s do it, Rush!
Pagus’s squad has left the party. Bloctor’s squad has joined the party.

I am bad at guestimmating how long updates will be, so we’ll have to wait until next time for Blocter’s mission. It’s a bit shorter than this one.

New Arts Summary

learned Invocations: Spark, Spark II!
learned Invocations: Spark II!

Dungeon Video: Ruins of Robelia Castle (Tutorial)
BOSS Video: Occupy Athlum?

Next Time: I’m gonna smash your faces in!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 18, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TLR has a lot of charm and effort put into its map designs, but really this starting tutorial stuff can be the most dangerous part of the game. Because until you get out of it you don't have control over unions or anyone else but Rush's equipment. Which is just dangerous.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh, you’re in Balterossa at BR 2, huh? Go try “The Ancient War” quest. Let me know how that goes. I’ll wait. :allears:

You are clearly doing a “low BR” run, whether you meant to or not, and you are seemingly under the impression that you must never fight any normal enemies at all. Being too low a BR can never screw you unless you only have one save game, and you overwrite it in an area which you can’t leave without beating a boss. Any other case, the worst that’ll happen is you have to go grind up some stats.

For reference, I reach BR 2 by the end of both the Bloctor and Pagus dungeons. I am impressed that you made it past Blackdale though.

I actually managed to get past Namul Sin and Niram Sin at like BR4-5 without pretty much any grinding (as in, pretty much no loving skills at all, I'm amazed I got past that part at all) because I didn't know that it didn't matter as much on the PC version, although that was on my previous try from before I had to reinstall my computer after my HD broke. :v:

quote:

Koorish, you seem to be under the impression that the level scaling in The Last Remnant works exactly like Oblivion's, where enemies will always be at your same level. That is NOT the case.

Enemies in The Last Remnant scale within a range. They have a minimum and a maximum BR. An enemy which has a base BR of 40-42 and a max BR of 46-49. will always be at least BR 40, regardless of whether you enter the fight at BR 2 or BR 40. On the other hand, if your BR goes past 49 when you fight them, they won't scale up any more regardless of how high your BR gets

BR is a measure of the number of battles you've fought and their difficulty. You only gain stats at the end of battles, including health. Avoiding battle entirely means you're not gaining stats.

I can personally attest to a nasty fight against a bunch of bonus bosses where I couldn't defeat them after a dozen tries, but after I went out and fought battles, increasing my BR AND STATS to get closer to their BR, then the fight became easier - not easy, but I beat it on the first try at my higher BR.

Ah, good information to know, I'll just keep on fighting tough enemies to level up my skills then.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also the reason to turn of Herbs, for the short version, is that Item arts are also considered when it determines your class. and that's likely to put you into Scout, which is a bad class.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Or you can use a trainer to manually change classes if you end up with something undesirable because the system is dumb. Being penalized for using the only revival skill available for what, maybe 1/3 of the game (it's been a while) is bullshit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Or you can use a trainer to manually change classes if you end up with something undesirable because the system is dumb. Being penalized for using the only revival skill available for what, maybe 1/3 of the game (it's been a while) is bullshit.

I use the trainer to do silly things like expanding the amount of allowed Unions and units to encompass all of the unique leaders. Well... max of 7 unions because the game crashes if you have 8 and then do something we can't do yet.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 8, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

I use the trainer to do silly things like expanding the amount of allowed Unions and units to encompass all of the unique leaders. Well... max of 7 unions because the game crashes if you have 8 and GAMEPLAY MECHANIC.

If you what now? I don't believe I've mentioned that yet, since it won't come up for a LONG time and it's kinda neat when it does. Tag or remove that bit, please.

Coming soon, I'm working on a mini-update about Classes and class-changing. Some or all of that will end up in mechanics post after the OP.

Onmi posted:

TLR has a lot of charm and effort put into its map designs, but really this starting tutorial stuff can be the most dangerous part of the game. Because until you get out of it you don't have control over unions or anyone else but Rush's equipment. Which is just dangerous.

The most dangerous part comes up in a couple dungeons from now, just before the game gives you full control.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If you what now? I don't believe I've mentioned that yet, since it won't come up for a LONG time and it's kinda neat when it does. Tag or remove that bit, please.

Coming soon, I'm working on a mini-update about Classes and class-changing. Some or all of that will end up in mechanics post after the OP.

The most dangerous part comes up in a couple dungeons from now, just before the game gives you full control.

Done, fingers got ahead of my brain. And yeah that dungeon, I had the best equipment synthesized at the time, and on hard mode, and essentially it was a coin toss if I was going to win. The thread will see when we get there, but honestly the hardest part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Didn't have auto-save on? This game actually has a really nifty one, in my opinion, since it auto-saves both after every battle and after every screen transition. Doesn't ever overwrite manual saves either, obviously, so there's no harm in it at all.

Would almost definitely help any future "had to redo the whole dungeon" moments due to crits or unlucky attack sequences.

• Locked thread