Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Let's try this once more.

Rules
Condensed Rules

What?

One of the lightest Civ games I've ever seen, Clash of Cultures manages to combine a lot of stuff into a simple, easy package. It can take a while to play, especially the first time you play it while you learn the intricacies of the tech tree, but I'll take three-and-a-bit hours over the actual Civilization's 'about a weekend or so' any day. Fans of the Civ series will instantly feel at home - it really feels a lot like playing a CRPG, and while the game can feel a little dumbed down thanks to a lot of simplification, there's still a lot in there that will be familiar, be it slowly exploring the map, raising settlers, fending off roaming barbarians or the joys of a Golden Age. It's got allowances for people who want to go pure science and expansion, and it's got allowances for people who want to stamp the wussy nerds underfoot. Also, it has little dinky city pieces that all mean different things, and smiley-face tokens to show when your faceless minions are happy. What's not to like?

It's also the only PBP I didn't bring to completion, and that's a stain on my record that needs rectifying. Fortunately, I've drastically improved my process since then, and updates should be a whole lot faster.

House Rules
  • The rulebook has a ton of pages on how you place and position map tiles, which you as players don't need to worry about.
  • The tech tree is hard to see - that's why I've replicated it in the Condensed Rules.
  • COs are fine, either to PM or in the thread - as long as you don't mind people seeing what you plan to do in the latter case!
  • By and large, I will not pause for Action Cards out of combat. This is fine, because most of them activate on your turn only, but any retaliatory ones you'll have to tell me about via PM or CO.
  • I will pause for Combat Action Cards as necessary, though.
  • Generally speaking I will assume you want to play Objective cards as soon as possible. There's never a reason to keep them in your hand.
  • Please write out as many actions as you can in your posts! Obviously, pause if you need something revealed, but otherwise for speed's sake I'd like to get as much as I can in a single update.
  • Rather than throw up several images repeatedly, your tech trees and inventories will be kept on Dropbox, with a link to them all at the bottom of each update.
  • I would kind of like it if talk was kept entirely in-thread, be it trade or diplomacy or trash. I cannot enforce this, and I'm not that worried about enforcing it, but you are supposed to be all around a table.
  • I will not be repeating your actions in the update posts. It's a surprising amount of overhead and your posts are going to be right there.
Recruiting

I'd like four players. PMs are required because I'm going to need to send you a link to your hand of cards, which are kept private, and to warn you if you need to respond to an attack. I'd like people who can check in daily, but since this is a turn-based game don't expect to need to do something every day. (Alternatively, my update pace is known to be pretty brisk, so perhaps do.)

Signups will close in about 24 hours from now, whereupon players will be decided by random draw. Anyone who applied last thread and didn't get in will get a slight priority bump but are still not guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I will play again.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some quick notes, which are usually the most asked questions or corrections:

- As per the rules there is nothing to stop you building cities right next to each other. Just bear in mind that each time you collect, you can only use each adjacent hex once, and not if it has another city on it. Build them too close together and you'll start choking yourself for resources a little, not to mention there are plenty of Objective cards that involve branching out a lot.

- You start with Settlers. That blob next to your round city is a Settler. If needed I'll add a legend later.

- The rules on fortresses are unclear: they protect your city from attackers, but a city with only enemy troops in it is considered immediately taken over. I've chosen to interpret this as the following: a fortress will defend your city against Barbarians, but cannot defend against players without an Army to support it. You can build Armies without Tactics, they'll just be confined to the city unable to move.

- Whenever anything mentions a region, that's one of the tiles of four hexes.

- Whenever you move onto a new region it gets revealed, and then you rotate it and fiddle with it a bit to ensure that you could actually have moved onto that space. In essence, the map will change based on which hex you enter, so enter the one you most want to be clear.

- The game is prone to having everyone turtle up; it's the only real weakness of the mechanics, and can happen depending on starting Objective cards. It's a whole lot more fun if you have a couple of warmongers to match the nerds, so bear that in mind.

- Remember you will get 5 more Objective cards over the course of the game; 6 if you include Writing for a total of 7. Build your kingdom so it's ready for anything, but don't chain yourself to your objectives - they're only 2 VP each, and you'll often earn more VP concentrating on preferred aspects of your Civ than trying to reach that last objective.

- Don't forget your Action cards! They're very useful!

- Correction to the Rules: base settlement pieces also count for VP.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Please let me play. Never played before, but it looks like fun.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I am interested.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I've been interested since I saw Gabriel Pope's game, put me in the hat please.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Sitting this one out, but I'll be watching with interest, see if I learn something. :munch:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm interested!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'm interested.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I'm interested, though you appear to be full.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I'm interested.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lager posted:

I'm interested, though you appear to be full.

That's fine - like the OP says, I prefer doing random draw, mostly to give people in any timezone a chance to get in.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Stelas posted:

That's fine - like the OP says, I prefer doing random draw, mostly to give people in any timezone a chance to get in.

Sweet, that's good to hear, though now I'm embarrassed for not catching that in the OP!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

As determined by random draw:

frankenfreak is Green!
MildManeredManikin is Blue!
Cynic Jester is Yellow!
Abyssal Squid is Red!

Sorry to all those who didn't get in!

As to the players: I'll actually be away from my computer until relatively late tomorrow evening. However, I will be around if you need any questions on rules answering, so please do yell in the thread if you're not sure about something.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1 BEGINS

Players receive 1 Objective and 1 Action card. Links to your hand have been PMmed to you.

Turn 1.1 - Green

Please post your three actions. Other players are free to CO their turns, be it privately or publicly.

The science boards can be quite hard to see, but they're all written out in the rules post.

Green Status (frankenfreak)
Blue Status (MildManeredManikin)
Yellow Status (Cynic Jester)
Red Status (Abyssal Squid)
Player Aid (Costs, etc.) | Rules | Available Wonders | Objectives

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So uh, what do we post in here ? Table talk and stuff?

Also what does CO mean?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Well I'm gonna post my actions in here, for what it's worth. Secrecy is for criminals and roll&move games! And yeah, strategy talk, poo poo talk, negotiation, pleading, all the fun table talk goes here for everybody to see, judging by the other games of this I saw played here.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey squid guy how are you doing?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Long story short I just tried Marmite (I'm American) and it's really good? And less repulsive in name and appearance than nutritional yeast, so I can't wait to gobble it all up. Spread it on the cardboard chits. Rub my face in it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is your culture/nation/empire going to have a name or are you just going to be the red guys?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's cool that you like marmite though, does it just taste really yeasty or something?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I dunno if I should be the evil Lamanites or the evil Jebusites, Random.org says Jebusites though. Also, Marmite's only slightly yeasty, it's all autolyzed! It tastes like sucking on a bullion cube, which if it isn't your thing then you won't like it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MildManeredManikin posted:

So uh, what do we post in here ? Table talk and stuff?

Also what does CO mean?

I'd like all table talk to remain in the thread, yeah, but also for you guys to post your actions when it's your turn.

CO is 'Conditional Orders' - basically, if you know what you want to do on your next turn ahead of time, you can send me a PM going 'okay so if X happens then my turn's going to be Y and then Z, but if A happens then do B and C instead'. It can let updates go a bit faster, because I can knock out several turns in a row, but it's strictly optional.

e: For reference, previous thread was here and it'll be done pretty much the same way, with the main difference being I'm not gonna be writing your actions all over again in my posts. That part took a surprisingly long time.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 3, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
MMM please name your nation 'The Mafia League', tia.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
If we're doing nation names and I'm green, I'll go full green treehugger and name my civ Gaia's Stepchildren.

Turn 1.1 - Gaia's Stepchildren (Green)
1 - Research an Advance: Pay 2 Food to research Myths and gain 1 Mood token
2 - Move Units: Move Settler to D4
3 - Activate a City: Gaia's Navel collects 1 Food

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The Balseraphs are here to spread fun and joy to all citizens(that are yellow).

Edit: A face you can trust

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 3, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 1.1 - Gaia's Stepchildren (Green)

Green reveals a tile, and since it has no water on it, may opt to rotate it 180' if desired.

Either A:

or B:

Things to bear in mind when placing tiles: without Husbandry/Roads, cities can only gather from spots 1 space away. Wood is a little less important than Stone unless you need lots of boats. Units that move onto a Mountain cannot move again the same turn, while units that move onto a Forest can move again, but cannot participate in a battle that same turn.

While Green is deciding, we might as well keep going given you're all a mile apart.

Turn 1.2 - Blue

Gaia's Stepchildren (Green) (frankenfreak)
Blue Status (MildManeredManikin)
Balseraphs (Yellow) (Cynic Jester)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 3, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Speaking as an english, Marmite's okay but Bovril is where it's at. Not so useful if you're a vegetarian, I guess.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Option B

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Seeing as I'll want to see what tile reveal I get before deciding on anything, might as well just throw up the first movement order so there'll be less wait.

Turn 1.3 - Balseraphs (Yellow)
1 - Move Units: Move settler to D14

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 3, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, partial COs are fine, though you'll be Turn 1.3.

Also, I forgot to mention - everyone should have received a link to their hand of cards. If you haven't, or if it isn't working, please let me know.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Stelas posted:

Yeah, partial COs are fine, though you'll be Turn 1.3.

Durr, copy pasting.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
All you Marmite eaters make me physically sick. Having to live with one when I was at uni, the horror!

Routing for whoever can wipe the yeast-gobbling scumbags off the face of the land.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I spent a bit of last night reading the rules, let's see if I'm understanding this right.

1. I have 2 food so I can use that to advance irrigation which gives me a mood token

2. I can use that mood token make my first city happy

3. I collect food

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Almost:

MildManeredManikin posted:

3. I collect food

Because your city is now happy, you can collect 2 Food from two of the hexes (one from the space the city is on, and one space from the desert which you can now Irrigate) or a Food and something else. The number of resources you collect is equal to your city size, but happy gives a +1 boost.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Stelas posted:

Because your city is now happy, you can collect 2 Food from two of the hexes (one from the space the city is on, and one space from the desert which you can now Irrigate) or a Food and something else.

I collect 2 food then

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mad Rancher posted:

MMM please name your nation 'The Mafia League', tia.

And this is too impersonal, I'll go with Mafia Murder Mpire

My first city will be Mr. Cappital

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 5, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 1.2 - Mafia Murder Mpire (Blue)

Blue happies up.

The settlers move.

Placing tiles follows pretty simple rules: connect up water if you can, otherwise place water on the edge if you can, otherwise it's your choice. Every rule is trumped, however, by the fact a Settler can't swim.

Two actions remain.

Mafia Murder Mpire (Blue) (MildManeredManikin)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Yuck.

2 - Move Units: Move settler to E15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Water has some interesting features in this game. At the basic level, you can farm it with Fishing for Food or, with a Port, for Gold. More important is the way ships move: a ship can move from any water space to any connected water space. Even more impressive, if you get Navigation and some coastline then ships can move off the board, travelling around the 'outside' of the map to appear elsewhere. If you get a big river, this can be invaluable for getting around; add on the fact that ships can carry Armies, and this can be a potent tool - or a pretty hefty liability.

The only way for ground troops to move two hexes in a single move action is via Roads, which means moving into or out of an allied city. This will cost resources per group moved, but can also allow movement penalties to be ignored for that move. It also means that mountains are actually pretty useful late-game - chances are you'll Roads right through them, but your enemies won't have that option.

One action remains.

Mafia Murder Mpire (Blue) (MildManeredManikin)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 3, 2014

• Locked thread