Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Whoa we can trade stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yes sir!

Page 14 of the rules posted:

Player Trades
During your turn, you may trade with other players. You may
also trade with a player during that player’s turn. You may trade
(at whatever cost you can agree on):
• Resources
• Action cards
• Objective cards
• Mood tokens
• Culture tokens
Trade deals with an immediate transaction of the above items
must be fulfilled. Verbal agreements of a diplomatic/political
kind, as well as loans and transactions to happen at a later time,
are not enforced by the game. Only the players’ conscience and
goals determine the validity of such agreements.

Apparently it rarely happens because most of the time the biggest bottleneck on resources is city size, rather than the actual availability of resources on the map, but it's an option. Action and Objective cards, too! Also I'm pretty sure it doesn't take an action, because that'd suck hard as hell.

And while I'm at it, gonna reiterate my unilateral diplomatic agreement to tech toward Trade Routes and encourage you to do the same!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

While we're asking about stuff, how many multiples are there of each Event/Objective/Action card? Is it the sort of thing where if you've seen a particular one, you're not likely to see it again, or are there particularly a lot of BARBARIANS ATTACK cards? I'm really scared of Barbarians and I wanna know just how scared I should be.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

There's an analysis here.

And yeah, you can trade stuff, but in practice I've never really seen it be heavily relied upon.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Turn 2.3.4 - Balseraphs (Yellow)
0. Activate a city (C-15 collects 1 food, 1 wood, 1 ore)
1. Activate a city (E-15 builds an academy, +2 Idea, -1 Food, -1 wood, -1 Ore)
2. Research Mathematics (-2 Idea, +1 Idea)
3. Research Engineering

Status Phase 2 - Balseraphs (Yellow)
Free Advance: Myths

Edit: Changing my free advance.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 9, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Abyssal Squid posted:

While we're asking about stuff, how many multiples are there of each Event/Objective/Action card? Is it the sort of thing where if you've seen a particular one, you're not likely to see it again, or are there particularly a lot of BARBARIANS ATTACK cards? I'm really scared of Barbarians and I wanna know just how scared I should be.

Nearly every "peace" objective is unique, something like 1/3 to 1/2 of the "military" objectives are duplicates.

I think there are exactly 2 of most/all of the "peace" action cards (although many of them have similar effects.) The "military" actions vary in rarity from 1x for the few most powerful cards to like 4-5x for the shittiest, most common ones.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Cynic Jester posted:

Status Phase 2 - Balseraphs (Yellow)
Free Advance: Myths[/b]

CynicJester, let me tell you a story. In the beginning days, before there even were days, Moloch and his wife Maleficient had three children. The eldest, the daughter Mpir, lived by the sea. She could swim to the bottom of the ocean, and read the future in the waves. Their second child, the son Baal, lived in the mountains. He split rocks with his hands and pull out swords and coins (whatever a coin is). Their youngest, the daughter Gaia, lived in the forest. She was a literal bear, and she ate old bald guys, even if they climbed up trees.

One day, the three children conspired against their kind and loving father. "Father, I have seen what you will do to us, and we shall not allow it," said Mpir. "Father, with this sword I shall slay you," said Baal. "Father, even if Baal falls by your hand, I shall eat you myself," said Gaia. Threatened by his disobedient children, Moloch began to cry, "Though I love you all dearly, I cannot allow this to pass," and he summarily ate the three of them. And this is why we sacrifice our children to Moloch, in honor of his sacrifice to the world.

So I ask you, CynicJester, as you have take up the worship of gods do you worship the correct and providential Moloch, or do you worship his dead children in order to steal his powers away from him? Or else do you worship some other, irrelevant gods?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I have let MMM know via PM that we're waiting!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Abyssal Squid posted:

CynicJester, let me tell you a story. In the beginning days, before there even were days, Moloch and his wife Maleficient had three children. The eldest, the daughter Mpir, lived by the sea. She could swim to the bottom of the ocean, and read the future in the waves. Their second child, the son Baal, lived in the mountains. He split rocks with his hands and pull out swords and coins (whatever a coin is). Their youngest, the daughter Gaia, lived in the forest. She was a literal bear, and she ate old bald guys, even if they climbed up trees.

One day, the three children conspired against their kind and loving father. "Father, I have seen what you will do to us, and we shall not allow it," said Mpir. "Father, with this sword I shall slay you," said Baal. "Father, even if Baal falls by your hand, I shall eat you myself," said Gaia. Threatened by his disobedient children, Moloch began to cry, "Though I love you all dearly, I cannot allow this to pass," and he summarily ate the three of them. And this is why we sacrifice our children to Moloch, in honor of his sacrifice to the world.

So I ask you, CynicJester, as you have take up the worship of gods do you worship the correct and providential Moloch, or do you worship his dead children in order to steal his powers away from him? Or else do you worship some other, irrelevant gods?

Many are the guises of the Almighty, but most commonly it is that of the shrouded visage, the inkling that something slithers through darkness of your room at night. That niggling feeling that your co-worker is spreading rumors about you, a donkey and 3 pieces of culinary excellence too debauched to mention by name. These and more are the manifestations of the one, true prince of Darkness, the Harbinger of Doom, the Advocate of Death, the Almighty Peaches himself.

Disclaimer: The Brotherhood of Peaches is suitable for children above the age of 22 and equally fun for both genders. Terms and conditions apply. Any and all claims of divinity made by Peaches or one of his illegally appointed representatives have no approved therapeutic claims. The views represented by Peaches or any member of his congregation does not represent the views of Peaches or his priesthood on a case to case basis unless public and governmental approval is found for those views. Peaches may or may not love you depending on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to; attractiveness, gender, ethnicity, age, yearly annual income, social influence and more.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Well, I'm not exactly gonna give you a hi-five for that, but at least we're not working at cross purposes. There's hope for you yet, you and your people.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Stelas posted:

I have let MMM know via PM that we're waiting!

Apologies. I've been busy and only able to phone post for the last little bit as I am a wandering vagrant but I'm here now.

1. Found city where my settler is
2. Activate that city to build an academy (+ 2 ideas)
3. Spend 2 ideas to advance philosophy (+2 mood but I can only take 1? Event!)

Status Advance: Voting

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

No worries.

Heads up, I'm going to be away this weekend seeing the folks.

Turn 2.3.3 - Mafia Murder Mpire (Blue)

MildManeredManikin posted:

3. Spend 2 ideas to advance philosophy (+2 mood but I can only take 1? Event!)

You're good for both - you started at 3/4, you're up to 5/5 because getting Philosophy boosts your max Mood. It also gives you an Event:

Event: Famine! posted:

You lose 1 Food, etc. etc. nothing happens because Irrigation.

Turn 2.3.4 - Balseraphs (Yellow)

Yellow builds an academy and reveals the next Wonder.

Status Phase 2 begins!

No-one reveals any objectives. Since there's a lot of events coming, if a player has Myths, I'm going to assume they want to activate it rather than take a Mood penalty. Let me know if not!

Pliny's Guide to the Most Successful Civilizations, Round 2 posted:

Blue: 5 Cities + 4 Advances = 9
Yellow: 4 Cities + 5 Advances = 9
Red: 4 Cities + 5 Advances = 9
Green: 3 Cities + 5 Advances = 8

Red gains Storage, and activates Myths:

Event: Migration! posted:

You must both: Select another player who gets a settler in a city of his choice, and reduce the Mood of one of your cities. Gain 2 Gold.

Green gains Sanitation.

Event: A Fine Year posted:

Gain 1 Food. Select another player to gain 1 Food. Place Barbarians.

Blue gains Voting, and will earn an extra Objective and Action card when they are dealt.

Yellow gains Myths, and just in time to activate it:

Event: Civil War posted:

If you have any neutral or angry cities with Armies in them, select one. Remove one Army unit from the city and reduce its Mood. If you have no such city, then reduce the mood of any one of your cities.

Everyone gets new cards. Also, in error, I realised that Green should have had bonus cards for Writing, so they've been handed out too.

Finally, with 7 Mood/Culture, Red is still the first player.

Action Queue
- Red: Choose player to get free settler.
- Green: Choose player to get 1 free Food, place Barbarian Camp within 2 of your city, place Barbarian Army in any camp.
- Everyone: Raze a size 1 city for 1 Gold, if desired.

Turn 3.1.1 - Jebusites (Red)

Jebusites (Red) (Abyssal Squid)
Gaia's Stepchildren (Green) (frankenfreak)
Mafia Murder Mpire (Blue) (MildManeredManikin)
Balseraphs (Yellow) (Cynic Jester)
Player Aid (Costs, etc.) | Rules | Available Wonders | Objectives

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Status Phase 2 - Gaia's Stepchildren (Green)
Free Food: 1 free food goes to: 1d3 2 Mafia Murder Mpire
Place Barbarians: D-6

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You also get to place 1 Barbarian Army in an existing camp anywhere on the map. That can include the one you just placed.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
The army goes to D-6, too.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Settler goes to Gaia's Stepchildren, the migrants are heretic Gaia-cultists or something, trying to destroy all true civilization.

Jebusites 3.1.1
1. Activate Hebron (I-15) to collect, +3 Food
2. Advance Dogma, -2 Food
3. Activate Jericho (G-13) to increase city size with a temple, -1 Wood -1 Gold +1 Mood
3a. Build settler at Jericho (via Sanitation) -1 Food
3b. Advance Fanaticism (via Dogma)

No flavor for now, trying not to hold things up.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 3.1.1 - Jebusites (Red)

That all happens.

Turn 3.1.2 - Gaia's Stepchildren (Green)

Green gets a free Settler in a city of their choice.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Time to actually start doing something about those barbarians, who've been hoarding all of that ore for themselves, and leering hungrily at our children from the cliffs. Those children have swords now, dumbasses, just try and eat them!

Jebusites 3.2.1
1. Civic improvement in Jericho (G-13) and Jerusalem (J-12) -3 Mood
2. Collect resources with Jericho (G-13) +1 Food +1 Wood +1 Ore
3. Build units in Hebron (I-15) 2 Army -2 Food -1 Ore -1 Gold

Changed my mind, this happens on 3.3.1 now, new action for 3.2.1 below.

Jebusites 3.2.1
1. Collect resources in Hebron (I-15) +3 Food
2. Advance Bartering -2 Food +1 Mood
3. Advance Trade Routes -2 Food

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 14, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Status Phase 2 - Gaia's Stepchildren (Green)
Migrants: Settler arrives at Plowshare Coast (F4)

The Gaians welcome anyone willing to recognize that the only sustainable civilization must live in the bliss of harmony with Mother Gaia. Many join them to leave the ever-growing city of Plowshare Coast to spread the word.

Turn 3.1.2 - Gaia's Stepchildren (Green)
1 - Activate City: Plowshare Coast increases size by building a temple and using sanitation to get another settler (-1 ore, -1 wood, gain Conversion tech, -1 food, +1 settler)
2 - Activate City: Gaia's Navel collects (+2 food, +1 ore)
3 - Advance: Tactics (-2 food, +1 culture)

The news about a settlement to their south whose citizens cut down forests without thought and no regard for Mother Gaia has the Gaians riled up enough that they start to consider beating their plowshares into swords.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

1 - Activate City: Plowshare Coast increases size by building a temple and using sanitation to get another settler (-1 ore, -1 wood, gain Conversion tech, -1 food, +1 settler)

You also get a Mood or Culture token, your choice.

e: Actually you can't hold any more culture tokens, so I'll make it mood.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 3.1.3 - Mafia Murder Mpire (Blue)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've spent a little while looking this over and I think I've got everything here.

1. Make I7 Happy (-3 mood, City becomes happy, no action cost)
2. Advance Economic Liberty (-2 ideas, +1 mood)
3. Activate I7 to collect (+1 wood, +1 ore, +1 food, + 1 idea, no action cost)
4. Activate D4 to build port (-1 wood, -1 ore, -1 food)
5. Activate I3 to collect (+2 wood, -2 mood)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
REDACTED FOR NATIONAL SECURITY

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 12, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I've spent a little while looking this over and I think I've got everything here.

1. Make I7 Happy (-3 mood, City becomes happy, no action cost)
2. Advance Economic Liberty (-2 ideas, +1 mood)
4. Activate D4 to build port (-1 wood, -1 ore, -1 food)
5. Activate I3 to collect (+2 wood, -2 mood)

You're collecting wood twice from the same spot.

Cynic Jester posted:

Turn 3.1.4 - Balseraphs (Yellow)
0. Play Leap of Knowledge card (+2 Idea)
1. Research Public Education (-2 Idea)
1. Activate C15 to collect (+1 food, +1 wood, +1 ore, +1 idea)
2. Activate C15 to build Temple (-1 food, -1 wood, -1 ore, +1 Mood)
3. Research Fishing (-2 Idea, +1 Mood)

You can't build a temple, both your cities are already size 2 and you don't have a third city.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Stelas posted:

Also it's worth noting, because this isn't very clear - there's nothing to stop you farming the same tile for resources multiple times in a turn, be it from the same city or different cities. Two cities with a grassland in between them can both hit it for Food.

JJ it's a valid move.

Also am I playing it right yet?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JJ it's a valid move.

Also am I playing it right yet?

Huh what? Stelas said that? It was my understanding that each tile could only be farmed once per turn.

In my eyes, you're playing wrong.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

jon joe posted:

Huh what? Stelas said that? It was my understanding that each tile could only be farmed once per turn.

Each tile can only be farmed once per collect.

The rulebook has this to say about when you can't collect from a tile:

quote:

You can never “Collect” resources from spaces:
  • With another city, regardless of the owner
  • With foreign units

I assume if you couldn't collect from a tile you already collected from earlier it would be listed there.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, okay!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

nvm

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Also, imagine that rule applying if you wanted to collect resources twice in one turn from the same city, on top of reducing its mood one step you'd barely be able to get any resources. But yeah, Stelas says it outright (I was confused too I think):

Stelas posted:

Also it's worth noting, because this isn't very clear - there's nothing to stop you farming the same tile for resources multiple times in a turn, be it from the same city or different cities. Two cities with a grassland in between them can both hit it for Food. The only thing

Speaking of "activating the same city twice in a turn lowers its mood by a step," on top of increasing city size being illegal at the moment, that's another problem with your plan for 3.1.4, CynicJester, unless you're accounting for that. Happying up larger cities gets really expensive really fast though. And related to THAT, I wasn't expecting to see another event crop up before my next turn, but even if it sends a food my way I probably won't change my CO.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh yeah I already brought up that quote but the way I formatted it may have made it less clear.

What's your plan for the barbarian cities squid?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Well Hebron is the only city currently threatened by them, and I don't have any bonus to offense right now, so I'm going to sit back and hope I get a Barbarians Attack event and they pop themselves against my kids with pointy sticks. I'm getting Tactics for my free advance, which'll trigger an event. After that I'll send armies out to the barbarian camps at the same time I move my settlers, which I need to do to reveal more terrain for Jericho and also to set up trade routes (I'm advancing Bartering and Trade Routes on 3.3.1). It's amazing how much food people are able to scrounge up when you offer them Precious Moments figurines!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Durr, completely forgot about the size=cities limit. That changes things.

Turn 3.1.4 - Balseraphs (Yellow)
0. Play Leap of Knowledge card (+2 Idea)
1. Research Public Education (-2 Idea)
1. Activate C15 to collect (+2 food, +1 ore, +1 idea)
2. Activate E15 to build settler(-2 food)
3. Research Roads (+1 Culture)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

This is the problem, unfortunately - Economic Liberty doesn't take effect until your next turn. This is done because otherwise you could get some really interesting abuses going within a turn by switching into and back out of Democracy on the fly.

Cynic Jester posted:

Durr, completely forgot about the size=cities limit. That changes things.

I'm going to be gone from the thread for a couple days - just to be safe can you blank your previous set of actions just so I don't forget you switched them?

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 12, 2014

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Stelas posted:

This is the problem, unfortunately - Economic Liberty doesn't take effect until your next turn. This is done because otherwise you could get some really interesting abuses going within a turn by switching into and back out of Democracy on the fly.

Actually:

CoC Rulebook posted:

If you buy the advance during a turn where you have already spent a “Collect” action, its power (and penalty) does not take effect until your next turn

That only happens if you already had a collect before you bought the economic liberty tech

Jump King fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 12, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oops, fair enough!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:slick:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Arguing with the mod: You're playing...right? Yep. You're playing right.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Had a slight change of plan, was gonna do this next turn but I decided it's better to move it up:

Jebusites 3.2.1
1. Collect resources in Hebron (I-15) +3 Food
2. Advance Bartering -2 Food +1 Mood
3. Advance Trade Routes -2 Food

Previous post edited to prevent confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Update coming up in a few hours.

• Locked thread