Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BenS
Nov 11, 2014
:saddowns: Poor Riko. Interesting that the girl (?) seems to think that she's acting in Riko's and Odaka's best interests, in making them statues. The evil in the game may not be as inhuman as we'd expect for a J-horror game. We shall see!

And yeah, I know that everyone else has said it, but I'm still impressed by the sound direction in this game. More than that, I'm liking how it builds up the atmosphere. One change at a time on the subway train, designating it as 'Carriage #4'... and if I'm not terribly mistaken, Riko was in #5 when she got back to the 'real world,' so by stepping one carriage over, I imagine that's less-than-subtle foreshadowing of what happened shortly thereafter. And then using the flowers, first to be a way of escape and then setting you up for the end... yeah, I like how they pace the game.

Odd note- it seemed to me that the statue room's paths were designed in a pagoda shape, so the ritualistic imagery continues. Don't know if it means anything, but hey, just something I noticed.

Fabricated posted:

Clock Tower 3 sits kinda in the Rule of Rose continuum where the game part is somehow so bad that the complete :psypop: plot/content may not be worth enduring it.

I can only emphasize and echo this point. Niggurath, in true adventure game fashion, I have to ask, "Are you sure you want to LP Clock Tower 3?" *laughs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Niggurath posted:

For the most part, the left half of the section in the 3D settings is only to allow the user a more panoramic view of the setting. The 3D would be heavily constricted other in just a single screen, though I guess they could have not gone with the book style of holding the DS and instead left it to just the top screen. Though in the end I do appreciate the extra screen area to give me a better view of my surroundings.

The game's already started cashing in on the peripheral vision camera; most spooky stuff happens on your right side, the one you can't see until you turn to face directly at it. In the apartment, the TV that turns itself on and Odaka's corpse are both on the right when you enter the room, and Riko turns right to face the ghost instead of left. Meanwhile, the overflowing bathtub and the doors with flowers on them are both on the left; stuff that the game wants to make sure you see, either because it's progress or a setpiece.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

Niggurath posted:

J-horror usually does a good job with inevitable ends and bleakness in their horror. I still remember the first time I saw Ju-on in the theaters, going in blind and seeing every one slowly succumbing to their fate. Then it gets to the end, there's this moment of clarity as the back story is revealed and the mother ghost turns back to normal....happy endings! And then dad shows up and guess what? You're still hosed and credits. It seems that American horror would allow the main character to go free and live a happy life, with an added hook showing the evil entity is still alive allowing a hook for another movie. J-horror you've always got the massive chance that the protagonist is in a dire hosed strait no matter how much they understand. Some horrors are just inescapable and can't be reasoned with.

Yeah, J-horror's always been closer to what I feel is the heart of horror- helplessness, as opposed to a power fantasy where you successfully overcome your inner demons (with heavy artillery). When Western horror tries its hand at this it seems to have a tendency to feel unearned and cheap, on the other hand. Or maybe that's just me. I remember rolling my eyes at the end of Insidious...

Nonetheless I think this seems like a pretty good J-horror simulator. Embodies pretty much every trope that comes to mind for the genre and does it with heart! I hope the momentum keeps.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

SystemLogoff posted:

What do you mean? J-Horror is all about happy endings! :downs:

okay, I know the first one is Uzumaki, what is the second one though?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

mateo360 posted:

okay, I know the first one is Uzumaki, what is the second one though?
It's "Enigma of amigara fault"; a pretty good short manga done by Ito. Also Junji Ito has made some real happy endings:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Enigma of Amigara Fault

e: f;b

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DumbRodent posted:

Yeah, J-horror's always been closer to what I feel is the heart of horror- helplessness, as opposed to a power fantasy where you successfully overcome your inner demons (with heavy artillery). When Western horror tries its hand at this it seems to have a tendency to feel unearned and cheap, on the other hand. Or maybe that's just me. I remember rolling my eyes at the end of Insidious...

Nonetheless I think this seems like a pretty good J-horror simulator. Embodies pretty much every trope that comes to mind for the genre and does it with heart! I hope the momentum keeps.

Western horror seems to come in either H.P. Lovecraft flavor or Robert E. Howard flavor: it's either this terrible unknowable thing that you're lucky to escape from without it noticing you... or it's something that you beat the crap out of while stealing loot.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The problem with American/Western horror is that the film industry has turned it into an industry. There are still a lot of good horror literature that accomplishes all the good that horror as a genre can accomplish. Movies have turned it into a bundle of clichés slightly reordered from time to time.

That said, Eastern Horror has a lot of the same problems. They seem to be heavily based on folkloric tradition (which is something American/Western horror has been getting away from, though you can still find it), and, as such, many of the movies I've seen have been similar in basic structures to the point of silliness.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I legit can't watch Japanese horror films because dear god the screams that the actors belt out are blood-chilling. :gonk:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So a new update should be up later today or possibly tomorrow, but in the mean time it came to my attention that what with this game being so short I could do an additional game for the thread. And one that came to mind that matched the feel of this game that might work was a Wii title called Calling. It's pretty much the exact same idea as Nanashi but a bit poo poo.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Doctor, doctor, gimme the news. I got a bad case of murdering you.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

How easy is it to get caught in level geometry? The clunky looking 3D parts have a lot of stuff lying around, and it seems like you could get caught on something just outside your FOV, especially when you have to start running away from ghosts.

I didn't expect this game to even have enemies, either, so that was kind of a surprise.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok, so Odaka sends you the game because Riko prefers you, how would that have changed if Davey was a woman?

After the first video I was pretty doubtful that the game would actually be creepy instead of just weird, but it seems to do fine.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've been watching too much wrestling, every time I hear or see the name Davey, I think Davey Boy Smith aka the British Bulldog

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hel posted:

Ok, so Odaka sends you the game because Riko prefers you, how would that have changed if Davey was a woman?

After the first video I was pretty doubtful that the game would actually be creepy instead of just weird, but it seems to do fine.
I think if you were a woman in this case, then Odaka would be in love with you and Riko would chase you due to getting in the way of her and Odaka's relationship. But I don't remember exactly why you get the game in this case. And this game is probably the extent of creepiness available on the DS, which is a bummer.

Red Bones posted:

How easy is it to get caught in level geometry? The clunky looking 3D parts have a lot of stuff lying around, and it seems like you could get caught on something just outside your FOV, especially when you have to start running away from ghosts.

I didn't expect this game to even have enemies, either, so that was kind of a surprise.

It just takes some practice really; the difficult part is how I have the emulator set up. Basically I'm using a d-pad on a 360 controller and a mouse, the d-pad is oriented side ways due to the DS being sideways for the 3D sections (so up and down is left and right on the d-pad) and the mouse is the stylus....so I need to combine mouse clicks and d-pad movement. And that's not really taking into account the fact that the movement isn't the smoothest, but it's passable enough.

Even all that aside, the real difficulty was editing the footage into what you see. Transitioning between the vertical and horizontal presentations on the DS, making sure the 3D sections have a gap. It's all a fun learning process that I'll never use again.

Smoking Crow posted:

I've been watching too much wrestling, every time I hear or see the name Davey, I think Davey Boy Smith aka the British Bulldog
I was trying so hard, but there was a promo I saw of Bulldog's for a late 80's/early 90's Royal Rumble where he said the best line ever. If I remember correctly he pretty much said, while a chubby bulldog was seated next to him on a pillow, "Well you can bet there ain't no bull....in this British Bulldog". Truly stunning work on the mic there Davey.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
I only have minor exposure to j-horror, but is the "seven days" thing a j-horror movie trope or is this game just paying homage to the ring?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm a bit surprised the TS broke like that. If it's based on the DS, that thing shouldn't have broken so easily.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The DS lite has a notoriously bad hinge design and they often broke if handled roughly. (I have one that needs to be fixed myself)

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Seriously, if anything would break on a DS, it's the flimsy-rear end hinge it had that would get a crack after a light fall, let alone being thrown straight to the floor in an open position.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

commieB posted:

I only have minor exposure to j-horror, but is the "seven days" thing a j-horror movie trope or is this game just paying homage to the ring?
Normally I would say that it's a nod and wink to Ringu, but in the case of the game I think it was also to work in a pun to the title. Now the title 'Nanashi no Game' could be translated to 'Nameless Game', but we know that numbers have deeper symbolism in the game and there are numbers in the title. 'Nana' is one of many ways to say seven in Japanese, and 'shi' can be either death or the number four. So if we look at the game as 'Nana-shi' then instead of nameless it becomes 'seven deaths' or 'death on the seventh game'.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm a bit surprised the TS broke like that. If it's based on the DS, that thing shouldn't have broken so easily.
I have no doubts that Davey has been squeezing the TS for dear life for the last couple of days and has been undue strain on it. In the end though, I'm a bit sad that the ghost radar on the TS doesn't get more use but as we'll see in the future the ghosts aren't ones to wait for you to pull out your gameboy and let you use the radar.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
With how often I see japanese horror titles use "Abandoned and run down X" for their location, I have to wonder if abandoned buildings is at all common in Japan. I wouldn't think so, as I'd figure real estate space is sort of at a premium with their population, but I don't know that for sure.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Drakenel posted:

With how often I see japanese horror titles use "Abandoned and run down X" for their location, I have to wonder if abandoned buildings is at all common in Japan. I wouldn't think so, as I'd figure real estate space is sort of at a premium with their population, but I don't know that for sure.

Abandoned buildings and even whole ghost towns are definitely A Thing in Japan.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I remember watching the LP of this in the archives, great stuff. Are you going to do the sequel after this? I was always a little disappointed that nobody else had done it yet, that I could find.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

I remember watching the LP of this in the archives, great stuff. Are you going to do the sequel after this? I was always a little disappointed that nobody else had done it yet, that I could find.
Sadly I doubt I could LP it for the mere fact that I can't really read Japanese and as far as I've been able to find there's no faqs or translation guides anywhere. I could brute force my way through it probably, but I'd have no idea what the story would be outside of haunted game is still haunted. Haha, if anyone really wants to translate the videos I could make for the game then I could easily subtitle them and do an LP, but I have no doubts it'd roughly be the same amount of text/translation that was needed for this game.

Curiously, even though neither of the DS 'Nanashi' games were translated and none of the later cellphone games, Square-Enix did see fit to release at least some portion of the Nanashi no Game series outside of Japan...which as far as I can tell are just the platforming sections from 'Nanashi no Game Me': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xngoVNRntU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I didn't know they hired lobotomized people to make trailers these days.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

The DS lite has a notoriously bad hinge design and they often broke if handled roughly. (I have one that needs to be fixed myself)

The original DS fat was closer to Nintendo Tough, and the 3DS is less fragile, but the DS Lites were ridiculously easy to break. My spouse and I broke one each just from wear and tear, and he broke a second one by dropping it. All three broke at the hinges and flopped open flat, and the game shows Davey's TS open flat on the floor. So I find it entirely plausible that it could have broken that way.

KillerEggplant fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 10, 2014

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Hey, KillerEggplant, quote is not edit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Niggurath posted:

So a new update should be up later today or possibly tomorrow, but in the mean time it came to my attention that what with this game being so short I could do an additional game for the thread. And one that came to mind that matched the feel of this game that might work was a Wii title called Calling. It's pretty much the exact same idea as Nanashi but a bit poo poo.
To be fair the opening bit in the school is legit creepy in both languages.

Now the rest of the game...

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Always nice to see a cameo from the Jesus fresco.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

BottledBacon posted:

Always nice to see a cameo from the Jesus fresco.

I really do adore this and will probably put it in the OP soon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also the chase sequence gets a bit of the wind taken out of it by the way the movement looks.

"OH poo poo, I'M IN TROUBLE!"

*CLOP*
*CLOP*
*CLOP*
*CLOP*
*CLOP*
*CLOP*

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It looks like he's hopping on one foot.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It looks like he's hopping on one foot.

Everyone knows that hopscotch is the most effective means at keeping evil spirits at bay.

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010

Niggurath posted:

if anyone really wants to translate the videos I could make for the game then I could easily subtitle them and do an LP, but I have no doubts it'd roughly be the same amount of text/translation that was needed for this game.

Don't tempt me, man. I'm only almost done with disc one of The Fear.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Post Processing posted:

Don't tempt me, man. I'm only almost done with disc one of The Fear.
If you were honestly game for it, I wouldn't need exact translation; just enough to understand the plot and what was going on. I don't think it'd be a hard game for me to brute force through the game...but I still feel like I need to LP 'The Fear' soon. Maybe I'll do that next...as just a marathon stream using your great guide.

Speaking of amazing marathon LP's, you guys should check out OatmealRaisin's and Panzer Skank's current LP of Blue Stinger: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685106

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Hey, Niggurath, I think you're doing a good job with this LP and I'm really looking foreward to the rest of it.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Also the chase sequence gets a bit of the wind taken out of it by the way the movement looks.

"OH poo poo, I'M IN TROUBLE!"

*CLOP*
*CLOP*
*CLOP*
*CLOP*
*CLOP*
*CLOP*

Maybe he's a centaur. Ever think of that racist.

LordGugs fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 11, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

LordGugs posted:

Maybe he's a centaur. Ever think of that racist.

I think you are the racist for assuming only centaurs can do that.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The protagonist is actually riding a very tiny horse through the entire game. It explains the clop clop clopping and why he moves so dang slow all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

• Locked thread