Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

It's time for our annual Something Awful Games Forum holiday celebration! This year we're doing two contests each week for three weeks (6 contests total). Some other contests may slip in-between, though, so make sure to bookmark the thread and keep up to date.

How do I thread?
Enter any of the six main contests, comment on other people's entries, send gifts or prizes to other posters, run your own contests, etc. This is supposed to be a celebration, so let's make some noise! Active participation will earn you entries into the raffle held on the final day. You can win up to two prizes in the raffle, so try to get as many entries as you can.

Fun cash prizes
The #1 prize for each contest is a Steam spending spree of varying amounts, so everybody can win something they want no matter what the other prizes are. Other prizes include a featured game for each contest and a pick from a list of other great games. Plus, we'll be holding a raffle at the end with nearly 30 smaller titles and a couple of larger prizes we've reserved especially for the raffle.

Rules
Be nice and have fun. If you have a complaint, please PM me or Kragger99. Let's keep this thread positive.

Contests:
#1: Super Game Bros. Bargain Smash Melee
#2: HoliJam 2 Jam Harder
#3: The Goon Feast
#4: Silent Knight
#5: Holiday Unlocked
#6: Costume Quest 3

seorin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

:mario: #1: Super Game Bros. Bargain Smash Melee :mario:

Suggested by Lonely Rolling Star in our donation thread. Here's how he described it:

quote:

Draw, Photoshop or fanfiction up a scenario involving video game characters throwing down to get some sweet holiday deals. Does Master Chief secretly want a Wii U this Christmas? Does he need to trample over several Goombas and right hook Princess Peach to nab one? If he's going in saving $5, then who would be so hypocritical to tell him no?

Rules:

-Make it in any medium you'd like, be it drawn, photoshopped, written, painted on the side of a van, programmed in Klik N' Play, or any combination of mediums. The setup can be as ridiculous or as shockingly true to life and depressing as you'd like.

-Can occur in a video game environment or in a real world setting.

-Minimum of one video game character, up to however many you'd like to use (or at the very least make it obvious that the damage was caused by video game characters if you'd like to show the aftermath). Make them fight with other game characters, or give Kratos an unfair advantage against the soccer moms rooting through the discount towel bin.

-Be sure to include some hot deals to scratch that consumer lust itch. Maybe have them fight on a digital gaming platform's storefront? I'd hate to think video game characters would give away a brawl for free.

Formats accepted: any

Deadline: Friday, December 5th 11:59pm PST (Saturday, December 6th 7:59am GMT)

Prizes:
1st Prize: $30 spending spree donated by Dementropy
2nd Prize: Saints Row Franchise Pack donated by Malek
3rd Prize: Your pick from the following list

Banner Saga
Driftmoon
Gauntlet
Grimrock II
Nekro
Saints Row 4
Shadowgate
Shadowrun Dragon Fall
Shadowrun Returns
Tesla Effect
Transistor

Thank you to Sandweed, Jordan7hm, Kragger99, Malek, and Nekoxid for the above prizes!

Your post should include: The title of this contest (including the marios), your contest entry, your steam id, and your pick from the third place prize list for if you win. If you'd prefer the third prize over the second, please indicate that as well.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for taking it over this year! It's a ton of work. I am glad to see the number of contests is toned down. That should drive up the submission quality. I appreciate the work that goes in to things like this, so kudos to everyone involved.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pumpaction1034

Edit: Oops, forgot to pick a third place prize. Let's go with Grimrock 2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epic Doctor Fetus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 2, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hell yeah, this thread is always great and thanks to seorin and Kragger99 for running the show. I'm happy that I got to add my tiny little contribution by providing the graphic in the OP. I can't wait to see the entries.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Isaac and the Spelunky crew fighting over the Steam Sale in the middle of the room, an item that makes everything in the store half off for the rest of the game. Wish I could find one that worked in real life.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lestershy

My pick from the 3rd place list is Transistor and I'd prefer to take it over 2nd prize if possible.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I've never known about this, but it's such a cool thing. :3: Thank you for taking the time to run and organize it (and anyone else who helps out too!). Also, obviously, cheers to the folks who donated games.

You can bet I'll be entering some silly stuff. Winning games would be great, but I'm really excited for something very focused to work on for a change.

Good luck to everyone else and have fun creating stuff! :)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

holy poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had no idea :mario: is an emote

El Topo Magnifico
Dec 31, 2006

You are seven years old.
You are a man now.
We're on our third event already???? :buddy:

I'm looking forward to seeing submissions and possibly entering one or two myself. Are there any hidden prizes this year? (The typo/editor game, etc.)

Also a huge thanks for keeping this event going, the steam gifting thread community has some of the most genuine nice people around.

El Topo Magnifico fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 2, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

El Topo Magnifico posted:

We're on our third event already???? :buddy:

I'm looking forward to seeing submissions and possibly entering one or two myself. Are there any hidden prizes this year? (The typo/editor game, etc.)

Also a huge thanks for keeping this event going, the steam gifting thread community has some of the most genuine nice people around.

For sure, there will be secret/hidden prizes throughout the contests. Keep your eyes peeled. In fact, there's a good chance you may see a word scramble very soon. So fun!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

For sure, there will be secret/hidden prizes throughout the contests. Keep your eyes peeled. In fact, there's a good chance you may see a word scramble very soon. So fun!

hmm fsrlhtoifomf

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lift-off something? grr

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Mr "Ho" Lifts Off?

EDIT: Welcome to the first annual "Ms. Ho Flirt Off!"

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 2, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

The Joe Man posted:

Mr "Ho" Lifts Off?

Nope.
Like that one though.
I'll be heading to bed soon but I'll check to see if anyone gets this in about 8 hours.

Also, a prize has already been won.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Short film off?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

Nope.
Like that one though.
I'll be heading to bed soon but I'll check to see if anyone gets this in about 8 hours.

Also, a prize has already been won.

shot from film? Needs more f and less m.

And thanks for the first entry gift! :D

Edit: Solved it: It's "hot milf orffs." I'm assuming that's the Canadian spelling of orifice.

Epic Doctor Fetus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 2, 2014

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Fish from loft?

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

shot from film?

Too many m's.

EDIT: I am now convinced that the anagram spells out Mohr Liftoffs, and I'm spending some time trying to draw connections between Christian Otto Mohr and Airplanes. If I uncover the paper trail that kragger obviously wants us to find you will all be the first to know. I only hope that for his sake, his alluding to 'sleep' in his last post isn't a euphemism and that I may already be too late.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 2, 2014

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
'Forms of filth', surely.

No, it's not that sort of puzzle. The answer is

Forget Santa, real legends have to only impress friends on middling forums.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 2, 2014

El Topo Magnifico
Dec 31, 2006

You are seven years old.
You are a man now.
The best I have so far is:

short film off

fish form loft

flirt mosh off

El Topo Magnifico fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 2, 2014

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Firm Sloth Off? That sounds like another contest. I'm excited to see all the entries. I might enter myself, I don't know.

Oh, try not to become sick. I'm glad I got that out of the way already.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
"Of poo poo from LF"

I hope I can participate in this first contest, but my plate might be full of other animation poo poo. In case I can, though, what are some options for places to host absolutely huge gifs? I'm talking like 10+MB. I doubt it'll reach that size but I can't judge how big this is gonna be and I wanna be safe.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

Wario and Waluigi had been waiting all year for this day. Black Friday. They charged into the Best Buy, brutally fighting their way through the crowds of people, leaving dozens of bodies in their wake as they pressed forward towards their true goal. Wario, throwing fatal punch after punch at random shopper's skulls, Waluigi cleaving off heads with his tennis racket, they drew closer to their ultimate objective. Soon, they finally found what they had sought. The last copy of Halo: Master Chief Collection, 60% off.

But as soon as Wario reached for it, it was grabbed on the other end by a white-gloved man wearing a red shirt--None other than his arch-nemesis, Mario, and his brother Luigi! Immediately, they all lunged at each other. Wario and Mario were locked in a brutal battle, but while Wario had brute strength on his side, Mario had the advantage of advanced acrobatics. Waluigi and Luigi drew their swords and began to fence over the crowds of people. Whoever fell in... would not be coming back out.

Mario bounced off Wario's head, causing a major fracture to his skull. Furious, Wario went into a berserker rage and managed to land a punch so hard that it broke all of Mario's ribs. Then, while Mario was stunned, Wario grabbed him by the neck, mockingly yelled "IT'S-A ME, WARIO!" and without any sign of remorse, snapped Mario's neck and tossed him into the air. As he walked away, he knew Mario would come back. He always did. But today he had won the battle, and this gave him great satisfaction and pride as a warrior.

Meanwhile, Waluigi and Luigi were in the middle of their deadly duel to the death. Luigi was terrified of the monster he was facing, a remorseless monster who knows no mercy. He kept fencing as frantically as he possibly could, but Waluigi had the mind and reflexes of a very deadly predator, and soon Luigi was unable to defend himself as Waluigi stabbed him right through the heart, and then with one swing, sliced his head off, causing blood to spray everywhere. Waluigi laughed maniacally, and yelled "WALUIGI WINS!!!" before kicking Luigi's headless body, still standing tall, into the crowd. Even more blood and gore littered the area, and Waluigi wasn't even able to discern quite why. Waluigi and Wario regrouped where they had found the game, and made their way out of the store.

It was just as soon as they believed they were finally in the clear that a blue blur flashed right past them. It only took them a moment to realize, in horror, what was going to happen next. A blue hedgehog was crawling on the ground in front of them. Wario attempted to crush it, but immediately it rolled back up into a ball and sliced right through him, cutting his heart in two. As Wario lied on the ground, dying, he told Waluigi to avenge him. Waluigi, shedding a single tear, nodded.

Waluigi saw the blue blur moving around him again. He unsheathed his tennis racket and prepared to avenge his fallen comrade. Just as soon as the hedgehog tried to attack him, he dodged out of the way. The second time, it managed to scrape his back. Finally, Waluigi had a stroke of luck, and with his lightning fast reflexes, hit the blue hedgehog so hard with his tennis racket that it went rocketing and knocked down a nearby skyscraper. Having avenged Wario, he buried him in a nearby field, and placed his tennis racket upon his grave, as well as the copy of the Master Chief Collection they had fought so hard to get, before leaving to wander the Earth in search of a new purpose in life.

THE END

I tried a ton of different things and somehow this crazy mess of mushroom ultraviolence was the best thing I could settle on. If this somehow lands me on second place, I already have SR2 and 3 and all the DLC so I'd rather go down to third and just get Saints Row 4.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SaxColonel/

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

The White Dragon posted:

"Of poo poo from LF"

I hope I can participate in this first contest, but my plate might be full of other animation poo poo. In case I can, though, what are some options for places to host absolutely huge gifs? I'm talking like 10+MB. I doubt it'll reach that size but I can't judge how big this is gonna be and I wanna be safe.

http://gfycat.com/about

Try this?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

I got it. It was so simple, sitting right under our noses, that we almost completely missed it. The answer is obviously "FSR-LHT-OIF-OMF," which is, of course, the serial number for Kragger's copy of "Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey." How I discovered this was quite simple. First I looked at Kragger's Steam profile to see what games he's been playing recently. For obvious reasons, "Letter Quest" jumped out at me. Then it was simply a matter of brute forcing my way into Kragger's Steam account and looking up the serial number. I'm pretty embarrassed that it took all of us this long to figure out a rather simple and pedestrian puzzle.

El Topo Magnifico
Dec 31, 2006

You are seven years old.
You are a man now.
I got it:

fsrlhtoIfomf = fifth from sol, so the real answer is Jupiter :science:

Edit: the decimal point is missing in the banner!

El Topo Magnifico fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 2, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

El Topo Magnifico posted:

I got it:

fsrlhtoIfomf = fifth from sol, so the real answer is Jupiter :science:

Edit: the decimal point is missing in the banner!

Nailed it!
Great work!

As for the missing decimal, that wasn't a planned hidden thing. but I added a small prize in there for you for that as well.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 2, 2014

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Good luck to all participants, I'm just glad i don't have to personally handle the prize giving this year.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pumpaction1034

Edit: Oops, forgot to pick a third place prize. Let's go with Grimrock 2.

This is awesome. How long does something like that take to make?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Trastion posted:

This is awesome. How long does something like that take to make?

Probably about 15-20 minutes. Google Image Search and knowing your way around Photoshop/ImageReady help speed it up quite a bit. Mario, the line of people, and the sliding door I grabbed off of GIS. The background eraser tool and layer blending modes do a quick job of "clipping" the images. Then it's just a matter of copying layers and moving them around to animate it in ImageReady.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The job market is rough for video game characters. They have to resort to more lucrative activities to cover Steam sale costs, like Battlebots.

Edit: Oh yeah, Grimrock II would be rad.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 3, 2014

El Topo Magnifico
Dec 31, 2006

You are seven years old.
You are a man now.

Kragger99 posted:

Nailed it!
Great work!

As for the missing decimal, that wasn't a planned hidden thing. but I added a small prize in there for you for that as well.

Wow! Thank you so much for Child of Light + DLC, and Tomb Raider: Underworld!

For those who are on the fence about participating, these were all on my wishlist. I highly recommend entering anything that sounds fun to you because you never know when someone might give you a prize!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

quote:

Crono sighed as he drew his Rainbow.

He’d failed so many times before. This was his last chance. The creatures standing before him stared blankly ahead, crowded around the pedestal that held his prize. Those few that noticed him eyed Crono nervously, but didn’t budge. He nodded slightly. He would have to go through.

There were far too many of them. In better days, Crono may have bargained for the prize on the pedestal, but now he was worn and haggard, so dazed from constant time travel he didn’t remember how long it had been since he’d started. He’d grown a beard at some point, and his hair was greasy enough to stay spiked on its own. He certainly didn’t have the time or patience to ask nicely.

He didn’t even notice when he started swinging, barely heard the shouts as the gathered crowd turned on him. It was all a blur, the feel of his blade cutting through metal, flesh, plastic. Some part of Crono begged him to stop, that something was horribly wrong, but he refused. He’d come too far, lost too much to risk it.

Soon, Crono was the only living thing in the building. Staggering, gritting his teeth, he fumbled with a Hi-Potion from his pouch, got it open and downed it. He’d sworn the stuff off, when this grim crusade began, but battle had taken its toll. As the warm buzz filled his head, he surveyed the scene.

The Mystics were dead. There was a time when he’d have felt bad about it – hadn’t he brokered peace between Mystics in humans, in what seemed like another life? – but right now their bodies were just another minor detail. The real horror was on pedestal, and around it.

Broken bits of plastic and the occasional gleam of metal were scattered around the scene. The cheap wooden pedestal was cracked, some of the edges broken off in the melee. Hacked and crushed packaging littered the scene, and the occasional tiny, dented catlike head stared at Crono accusingly.

The only evidence that this warzone had ever been a toy store was the red and green sign hanging high enough above the platform to avoid Crono’s blade, reading:

WE HAVE GATO DOLLS
WON’T BE UNDERSOLD
BUY ONE FOR
YOUR KIDS, THEY’RE JUST 15 GOLD

Scanning through the debris, Crono couldn’t find a single unbroken action figure. His strength gave out, and he slumped to his knees.

All this violence, all this killing, all this time travel. All for a Gato doll with real Metal Joints™, the one toy Crono Jr. so badly wanted for Christmas, the last Christmas they spent together. The toy that had sold out while Crono was busy… well, he couldn’t quite remember just what he had been busy doing. It was lost somewhere between all the Hi-Potions. He was certain it was important, though. Not that Marle agreed.

Looking at the mess, the bits of Gato action figures sprawled across the floor, Crono dug. He searched, praying he’d find one still intact. He didn’t have the heart for another jump on the Epoch. He had hoped, so desperately hoped, that this time he would find a way to keep Marle. To keep Crono Jr. This had been final chance…

He barely remembered which year he was from, now. He recalled coming home from the bar to find Marle in tears, a suitcase in hand. Little Crono Jr. was next to her, wailing. But the other details were mostly vague. She’d said something about leaving him, about how the Hi-Potions were out of control. Through the haze, he remembered responded with something about what he did on his own time was his own business, how they’d all be dead to Lavos without him, and how Luca certainly appreciated him and treated him right even if Marle didn’t.

The one clear memory was Marle’s response, a silent, icy stare. She had little Crono by the arm, and he was still crying, and then she dragged him out the door, and then door slammed shut, and suddenly there nothing. Crono almost wished he’d been sober enough to remember just what she’d said as she stormed through the door.

Thankfully, she didn’t take the Epoch. Once he sobered up, Crono jumped through time again and again, fixing the little wrongs where he could. Showing up during Marle’s birthday. Making Crono Jr.’s school play. Attending Glenn’s funeral. He couldn’t fix everything, couldn’t make up for what he actually said or did, but he could fill in the blanks. He righted the little wrongs, those bits he could remember, but every time he returned to the present, she was still gone.

Crono kept digging through the pile of broken bodies and plastic. He knew this was it. All he needed was one intact Gato, which he would give to Crono Jr., which would keep Marle in his life. Just one little metal doll, and everything would be okay. There was no way he’d destroyed them all.

He spent hours, digging through every corner of that store. If he could just find that cheap little toy in one piece, he knew it would bring her back. Bring them back.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to be depressing or ridiculous, so how about both? Apologies for disjointedness/stupidity/not matching CANON.

Third place prize would be Transistor. I'll drop to third and take that anyway if I somehow score second place, I already own all the Saint's Row stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/philmoscowitz

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Wow, I need to look at kittens after reading about Crono.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

:stare:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I couldn't decide if I wanted to be depressing or ridiculous, so how about both? Apologies for disjointedness/stupidity/not matching CANON.

Third place prize would be Transistor. I'll drop to third and take that anyway if I somehow score second place, I already own all the Saint's Row stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/philmoscowitz

Chrono Trigger had Mid Tonics, not Hi-Potions; voted 1/5.

(Holy poo poo this is amazing.)

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Can we still donate to the prize pool? I somehow missed that this year.

Also, good luck everyone!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Anarch posted:

Can we still donate to the prize pool? I somehow missed that this year.

Also, good luck everyone!

Absolutely. I'm still planning on some more hidden prizes, and we have the raffle at the end of it all. The more prizes in the raffle, the more winners.
Just contact seorin or I.

Kragger
Kragger
Kragger

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kragger99 posted:

Kragger
Kragger
Kragger

If we say that into a PC monitor do you appear and bestow a steam gift, or take a game from our steam accounts? :ohdear:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If we say that into a PC monitor do you appear and bestow a steam gift, or take a game from our steam accounts? :ohdear:

He appears and makes you say Derek Smart three times. Once DSmart appears you have to 100% his games and review them or you die in three days.

Or you have to join the KKK maybe? Not sure about this puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Topo Magnifico
Dec 31, 2006

You are seven years old.
You are a man now.

Kragger99 posted:

Absolutely. I'm still planning on some more hidden prizes, and we have the raffle at the end of it all. The more prizes in the raffle, the more winners.
Just contact seorin or I.

Kragger
Kragger
Kragger

I have a few ideas, but I'm going to wait a day or two. I don't want to hog all the crypto/stenography fun. (I might actually take this time and create one of my own.)

• Locked thread