Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I'm going through a list. "Thanks for Deponia!" is the only one that comes close so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pshea40
May 7, 2007
If it means anything, the specific kanji is http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%BC%A2

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
It still might be a Valkyrie, but the art is definitely from the Magic card Serra Angel.

Google tells me that there are characters named Serra in Fire Emblem and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, but neither of those fit the enumeration (unless we take the latter title as just Revenge of the Sith, in which case the letter is N).

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

why not just assume that it's about Magic: The Gathering itself?

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 8, 2014

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

seorin posted:

:mario: #2: HoliJam 2 Jam Harder :mario:

By request, we're bringing back the game making competition for the third year in a row. You've got the entire weekend and then some to make a holiday themed game, which can be a puzzle, an interactive story, a flash game (also here), or an adventure game. In case it helps anyone, there's a bundle type sale on Axis Game Factory, but I don't know anything about it. If you need help, you can probably find it in the Game Making Megathread.

Formats accepted: if it can be loosely considered a game and the judges can play it, we'll accept it (even a board game, but please build/draw/construct something for the game, don't just post text)

Couple of quick questions: are the listed genres here mandatory/required for the entries or are they simply suggestions? Furthermore, does the game HAVE to be made using one of the linked engines? Or could I say use, Game Maker, Unity etc to make a small downloadable action game? Just want to clarify before I begin on my entry.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

:drat:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I'm avoiding giving hints on the puzzle for now because, from what I've seen so far, you guys are certainly capable of solving it. Now which of you are on the right track...

Bert of the Forest posted:

Couple of quick questions: are the listed genres here mandatory/required for the entries or are they simply suggestions? Furthermore, does the game HAVE to be made using one of the linked engines? Or could I say use, Game Maker, Unity etc to make a small downloadable action game? Just want to clarify before I begin on my entry.

Any genre or engine is fine, the list is just suggestions for anyone that might want to participate but not know where to start.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I was thinking it might be something along the lines of "thanks for playing" and was trying to slot playing into the not-100% positive blocks but can't really make it work. Thought maybe the 1-1 Slippery When Wet sign could be a Portal nod since the logo is similar and that would take care of the P and remove an unnecessary letter.

The apple block stumps me. For being such an iconic food item, I can't really think of anything major for them other being a Pac-Man fruit, but that would add another P and remove a T, so that doesn't work.

The possible Gauntlet block could be a Valkyrie from Valkyrie reference, and that would add a y, making "thanks for playing" closer. It would remove the t for thanks, but if t is the letter for apple, thanks for playing could still work.

The r being one of the leftover letters made me think of other uses for the pit/shaft block and all I could think of was Pitfall Harry from Piftall, but the end results from that is still a r and throws a wrench into playing being a possibility.

I'm just waiting to see someone figure it out so I can go, oh poo poo, that's what it was and feel stupid.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 8, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
"Thanks for gaudies"? It means a feast, particularly a holiday or celebration, so it has a loose application here.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Sivek posted:

I'm just waiting to see someone figure it out so I can go, oh poo poo, that's what it was and feel stupid.

We are on the right track because there are references to 2nd words everywhere we expect them! So, it won't be long. I finally have time to sit down and figure this out (after seeing it at 5am a few days ago and being sad I won't have time to work on it).

Sivek posted:

Thought maybe the 1-1 Slippery When Wet sign could be a Portal nod since the logo is similar and that would take care of the P and remove an unnecessary letter.

This is 100% wrong. Although it is way cool to think about.

EDIT: I have 4 letters I don't know, three of which I have two candidates I don't like for. :(

EDIT2: I'm really sad the frog isn't for Battletoads.

EDIT3: Solved two of them. Pretty happy with one of my solutions actually (ridiculously happy with how I figured it out will explain later when someone wins).

EDIT4: Okay, I'm 95% sure I have all the letters. Time to try and solve it.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 8, 2014

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Using Doom, I have all the necessary letters for Seorin, and with the SMT version, enough for "Thank Seorin -something-".

Conspiracy!

aba
Oct 2, 2013

seorin posted:

I'm avoiding giving hints on the puzzle for now because, from what I've seen so far, you guys are certainly capable of solving it. Now which of you are on the right track...

Could you please answer one small question regarding consistency of how much were you specific regarding pictures of your puzzle? For example if the city on a map is "Minsk" and not a "capital city" it should imply that a native American is "Sitting Bull" and not a "chief" or the first bird is "Carolina wren" and not just "a songbird" (and also maybe the first fruit is "Rubens apple" and not just "an apple").

So, how much consistent is your puzzle?

a) 100%.
b) Mostly consistent.
c) I didn't care when I created it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Even answering that is kinda giving a hint. :( You're definitely capable of solving it without knowing the answer to that, and I kinda want to avoid even saying that much because I know it'll get misinterpreted. :v:

If it's not solved within the next 12 hours I will post a very small hint, with increasingly bigger hints each day after. I think that's the only fair way, since if I just posted hints whenever it would be solved by whoever happens to be checking the thread at the time. At least this way everyone knows roughly when a hint is coming.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I doubt I'll be the one to solve it, but a hint at a designated time sounds pretty fair. Either way, congratulations on creating a puzzle on the internet that wasn't solved immediately upon posting.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I sort of feel bad mine are too easy. Seorin knows how smart you all are, so makes a nice challenging one :)

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Kragger99 posted:

I sort of feel bad mine are too easy. Seorin knows how smart you all are, so makes a nice challenging one :)

Relevant:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
The first tiny hint: only one picture has yet to be correctly solved in the thread. The correct answers for all the rest have been posted at some point. I'll post another hint around this time tomorrow if it hasn't been solved by then.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Am I seriously the first person so submit for this contest? If so, this should serve as some nice inspiration, because I'm about to set the bar nice and low for you guys. I'm no programmer so I just did a simple IF game. No puzzles, possibly less interactive than a Telltale game, but still technically a game, I think.

The name of the game is Claus's Clauses. You take control of a tough yet sensitive Space Marine named Santa Claus, who has to make a big decision. The North Pole is running low on money, and he needs to sign an exclusivity contract with one of the big consoles to keep things afloat. Who you pick will affect many Christmases to come! Will you side with the mighty Xbone? The magnificent PS4? The magical WiiU? The malodorous Ouya?

Download the game here and find out! Five dumb endings to reach!

If this piece of crap somehow places third, I'd like Banner Saga as my prize.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/philmoscowitz

Fake Edit: The first review is in!

"This is the stupidest poo poo." - My Wife

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Am I seriously the first person so submit for this contest?

Sadly, I believe so. Hoping more entries are coming, as this was one of the better contests last year.
C'mon Steamgoons!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Kragger99 posted:

Sadly, I believe so. Hoping more entries are coming, as this was one of the better contests last year.
C'mon Steamgoons!

I've got an IF done (It's bad, but it's done), but am uncertain how much drawing type content qualifies it, since IF is... Well, a load of text, a lot of the time... :v:

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Kragger99 posted:

C'mon Steamgoons!

I'm working on a Twine thing, though who knows if I'll finish it in time.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Eh, my entry is just 3,150 words across a mere 23 passages, with no real decisions and each sentence is somehow worse than the last. The entry rules say as long as it's "loosely" a game it qualifies, and some of the best IF games are just jumbles of words with little to no puzzles so that shouldn't be an issue.

If I have the balls to submit the trash that is Claus's Clauses, no one else with a complete game has an excuse.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Some of my first PC games were Infocom games, so I say go for it! Bring on the text!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Eh, my entry is just 3,150 words across a mere 23 passages, with no real decisions and each sentence is somehow worse than the last. The entry rules say as long as it's "loosely" a game it qualifies, and some of the best IF games are just jumbles of words with little to no puzzles so that shouldn't be an issue.

If I have the balls to submit the trash that is Claus's Clauses, no one else with a complete game has an excuse.

Okay, fair enough!

Also competing for third place, is Santa's Goon Giftmas, an Interactive Fiction involving the trial of a Santa transfigured by the magic of Giftmas. It has some obvious endings, and not so obvious ones, takes about an hour to 100% (variable depending on reading speed), and to run it, you need to have Glulx.

Made in Inform 7 over the course of an evening, I already have one critique:

"p much accurate to my house yah"
- FutureFriend

If I somehow win third place, I would like Grimrock II, and to not be called a horrible monster. Thank you.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/JamieTheD/

I like Big Mad Drongo's entry. It has better words than mine

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Keep those entries coming, glad to see at least a couple submissions coming in now that the weekend is over. You have until midnight PST tomorrow to get them in.

:mario: #3: The Goon Feast :mario:

The holidays are a great time for food, so show us what you've got! For this contest, you can either make a holiday themed recipe and post it Goons With Spoons style, or if like many goons you're far better at eating that you are at cooking, you can gather together several of your favorite holiday foods, mash or blend them all together, and then consume them. Time to show off your best recipe or eat what is likely to be your worst.

Formats accepted: Goons With Spoons style recipe, or photo/video evidence and a trip report of whatever abomination you ate

Deadline: Friday, December 12th 11:59pm PST (Wednesday, December 13th 7:59am GMT)

Prizes:
1st Prize: $50 spending spree donated by Epic Doctor Fetus
2nd Prize: Wasteland 2 donated by Dementropy
3rd Prize: Your pick from the following list

Banner Saga
Driftmoon
Gauntlet
Grimrock II
Nekro
Saints Row 4
Shadowgate
Shadowrun Dragon Fall
Shadowrun Returns
Tesla Effect
Transistor

Thank you to Sandweed, Jordan7hm, Kragger99, Malek, and Nekoxid for the above prizes!

Your post should include: The title of this contest (including the marios), your contest entry, your steam id, and your pick from the third place prize list for if you win. If you'd prefer the third prize over the second, please indicate that as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kragger99 posted:

C'mon Steamgoons!

I don't have time to learn a new interface. I gotta stick with what I know and bake something in XNA, and the going on that is always slow :v:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't think any of these are the answer, but I'd feel even dumber if one of them ended up being correct and I didn't post it. These come from switching out letters I wasn't sure about, so they don't all have the same letters.

Saint Gat Hades Fry or alternatively Saints, Fear Thy God
Of Danish Strategy
Bad Rats Gift Yes No

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh, this contest is a perfect opportunity to HowToBasic together a horrible meal and eat it on camera. I don't think I am brave enough.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Despite having spent literally billions of hours playing video games, I don't have a clue how to make them (perhaps with a computer? I just don't know...), so instead, I've made a holiday edition of Cards Against Humanity. If you need the rules, go here (and deal out less cards, like maybe 4-5).

Here are the cards:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pumpaction1034

For third place (assuming Grimrock 2 is already taken), is Gauntlet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I was going to make an EarthBound-style game, but after spending hours of my life editing Pokeys dad to look like Santa Claus I don't actually know Construct 2 well enough to make anything less than complete garbage in four days.

This title screen was worth the time I wasted on it, though.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
^ Complete garbage is kind of acceptable for a game dev contest lasting only a long weekend :v:

Contest 1 Winners

We had some really unique and good quality entries, making this a very hard decision for all three judges. If this keeps up, this year will probably be better than last year even with the reduced scope. Great job!

1st place: The White Dragon
2nd place: Entenzahn
3rd place: Big Mad Drongo

Honorable Mention: Westborn

White Dragon should get in touch with Dementropy. Entenzahn and Big Mad Drongo both indicated preference for Transistor, and luckily I snapped up a second copy while it was still on sale after seeing how many people wanted it. I'll get in contact with the two of you for your prize. The Saints Row Franchise Pack will be added to the list of third place prizes for the remaining contests.

Thanks for the amazing entries!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Well done, lads and/or ladies - some amazing stuff posted there.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
Based on Seorin's reply this is a table of all mentioned games (hopefully I didn't miss any):

Letters in first column are based on probable correctness:
pre:
almost sure
|probable
||less probable
|||
|||
vvv

TC	1-1	Civni/Rubens applee -> Ruben Victoriano -> The Evil Within (Castlevania?)
KY	1-8	Carolina wren - Songbird -> Bioshock (Phantasy Star?)
D	1-7	Ridley Scott -> Ridley -> Metroid
N	1-3	brass knuckles -> Knuckles the Echidna -> Sonic the Hedgehog 3
E	2-6	frog -> Frog -> Chrono Trigger
 TC	1-5	valkyrie -> Valkyrie -> Gauntlet (Magic: The Gathering ?)
A	2-5	cloud -> Cloud Strife -> Final Fantasy VII
G	2-1	Minsk -> Minsc -> Baldur's Gate
R	2-4	pit -> Pit -> Kid Icarus
I	2-3	phoenix -> Phoenix Wright -> Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
A	2-2	peach -> Princess Peach -> Super Mario Bros.
S	1-1	slippery -> Slippy -> Star Fox 64 ?
 AO	1-2	Pinky -> Pinky -> Pac-Man (Doom ?)
 SN	1-4	kanji -> Kanji Tatsumi -> Persona 4 (or Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4) 
 HB	1-1	chief -> Master Chief -> Halo (Sitting Bull - Bully -> Bully)
F	3-2	link -> Link -> The Legend of Zelda

So it means that we have (with one game -> probably also a letter totally wrong as mentioned):

KDNEAGRIASF TTASH
KDNEAGRIASF TTASB
KDNEAGRIASF TTANH
KDNEAGRIASF TTANB
KDNEAGRIASF TTOSH
KDNEAGRIASF TTOSB
KDNEAGRIASF TTONH
KDNEAGRIASF TTONB
KDNEAGRIASF TCASH
KDNEAGRIASF TCASB
KDNEAGRIASF TCANH
KDNEAGRIASF TCANB
KDNEAGRIASF TCOSH
KDNEAGRIASF TCOSB
KDNEAGRIASF TCONH
KDNEAGRIASF TCONB
KDNEAGRIASF CCASH
KDNEAGRIASF CCASB
KDNEAGRIASF CCANH
KDNEAGRIASF CCANB
KDNEAGRIASF CCOSH
KDNEAGRIASF CCOSB
KDNEAGRIASF CCONH
KDNEAGRIASF CCONB

YDNEAGRIASF TTASH
YDNEAGRIASF TTASB
YDNEAGRIASF TTANH
YDNEAGRIASF TTANB
YDNEAGRIASF TTOSH
YDNEAGRIASF TTOSB
YDNEAGRIASF TTONH
YDNEAGRIASF TTONB
YDNEAGRIASF TCASH
YDNEAGRIASF TCASB
YDNEAGRIASF TCANH
YDNEAGRIASF TCANB
YDNEAGRIASF TCOSH
YDNEAGRIASF TCOSB
YDNEAGRIASF TCONH
YDNEAGRIASF TCONB
YDNEAGRIASF CCASH
YDNEAGRIASF CCASB
YDNEAGRIASF CCANH
YDNEAGRIASF CCANB
YDNEAGRIASF CCOSH
YDNEAGRIASF CCOSB
YDNEAGRIASF CCONH
YDNEAGRIASF CCONB

Someone please solve it already (doing anagrams in not-your-first-language is not easy).

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

seorin posted:

I actually have a small game I've been making to practice java that I could fit into this. Not sure if I'll make the deadline, but is it cool if I put it up on wednesday?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

aba posted:

Someone please solve it already (doing anagrams in not-your-first-language is not easy).

"Steadfast Harking" is all I have even remotely Christmas related.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

seorin posted:

:mario: #3: The Goon Feast :mario:

Once upon a time I tried to curse other forum posters via the medium of a key lime pie because they cost me $75. I'm just going to repost that because it was probably the gooniest feast. (This is why you do not see my Steam ID linked here, because it does not deserve a win, just derison and laughter.)

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Sigils 101 Via Pastry Implementation

"Sigils" are magickal runes created via the belief of the caster which can be empowered with that unique energy you gather to them, for use in spells or other effects! In many cases you will wish to create a unique rune out of your own mind, perhaps something made from joining together the letters of a name close to you, or a design you can visualize with ease!

Since this is more for the benefit of you, the viewers, we've gone with the traditional pentagram in the mixing bowl, created from the already-designed key lime filling for the pie. There's a whipped topping we're about to assemble, however, which makes a better medium for the magick since it will cover the entire pie! The crust was a poor medium due to any sigils in it creating instability in the base of the pie/risking someone not eating them or getting less than another person, and the filling spreads too randomly to rely on that given that it will be most of what falls off of someone's fork or onto the plate as it's eaten.

So now that it's ready for mixing, we're going to throw it atop said sigil and hand-mix at this step to imbue it with a personal energy and the desire for the spell itself! It's very hard to get an action shot of a whisk in motion, especially when you have to take it slowly since your other hand is on a camera and not the bowl itself to steady it!

The topping is now spread atop the pie currently solidifying in my fridge (next to what I assume are cronuts), and so in three hours or so, after dinner, it will be fed to small children who will take the brunt of the ill effects of CURSING ALL OF YOU. I'LL BE BACK, FUCKERS

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Nutty's Toy Time is an arcade-y style tower defense game in which a Nutcracker must collect toys in order to create gifts to protect himself from the incoming Rat King's hordes. The Sugar Plum fairy also occasionally flies in to support ol' Nutty with her life-giving sugar-coated plum droppings.

CONTROLS:

LEFT ARROW - Move Nutty left.

RIGHT ARROW - Move Nutty right.

UP ARROW - Upgrade a present that Nutty is standing on for the cost of 8* toys. (Mines cannot be upgraded, however)

Z - Build a WALL present for the cost of 3 toys.

X - Build a SPIKE present for the cost of 5 toys.

C - Build a LAND MINE present for the cost of 8 toys.

You can download the game HERE

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bredgentleman/

I hate to admit I'm not a big fan of Game of Thrones, so if I land second, I'd prefer Grimrock II if possible.

*EDIT: Uploaded a new version to resolve a balance issue.

Bert of the Forest fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 9, 2014

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Another ~12ish hours to the next puzzle hint. You will probably kick yourself if you don't solve it before then.

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I actually have a small game I've been making to practice java that I could fit into this. Not sure if I'll make the deadline, but is it cool if I put it up on wednesday?

I'd say it's at least partially up to the people who have already submitted, as well as the other judges. As long as their are no objections from either side, I'm fine with it, but the closer you are to the deadline the better. Even if we decide not to allow it as an official entry, I'd still recommend posting it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

seorin posted:

I'd say it's at least partially up to the people who have already submitted, as well as the other judges. As long as their are no objections from either side, I'm fine with it, but the closer you are to the deadline the better. Even if we decide not to allow it as an official entry, I'd still recommend posting it. :)
I'll try and get it done tonight, and like all AAA games, it will be buggy, badly optimised, and over half the content will be made available as DLC :colbert:

And in case I miss the deadline I'll happily opt out of the contest. Fair's fair.

• Locked thread