Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

epitasis posted:

ain't none of those console ones coming to the U.S.

the others I dunno I assume most smart TVs are heavily walled gardens

I wouldn't be so sure about that since consoles are much more popular in the US and they want international subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

would be cool but I would be very surprised!!! we'll see how long it takes them to get an english language site up first

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
mookieghana compiled a list of all DVDVR Best of '80s New Japan set matches that are currently available on NJPW WORLD

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I wish I could change the title to NJPW World- The customer will apologize that we apologize for any inconvenience.

Spermgod posted:

mookieghana compiled a list of all DVDVR Best of '80s New Japan set matches that are currently available on NJPW WORLD

Thanks for this, I've seen very little '80s NJPW

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

I wish I could change the title to NJPW World- The customer will apologize that we apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks for this, I've seen very little '80s NJPW

So far what I've watched is peak Inoki. Weird rules matches, lots of big hits.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Maybe this was covered somewhere and I missed it, but is any of the current G1 Tag league stuff up yet?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

Maybe this was covered somewhere and I missed it, but is any of the current G1 Tag league stuff up yet?

No. It's not going to be either, except for the Final show Sunday. A greater % of of shows will be up in the future since they're going to be airing the stuff that would've been on Samurai TV in the past on World now.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thauros posted:

No. It's not going to be either, except for the Final show Sunday. A greater % of of shows will be up in the future since they're going to be airing the stuff that would've been on Samurai TV in the past on World now.

Ah, ok. I was worried that I wasn't searching properly or whatever.

On the other hand, I FINALLY got to see Beno---er...Pegasus/Sasuke from '94. For some reason, back in my tape trading days, I had most every match from that tournament on various Phil Schneider and Blue Thunder comps, but never that match. Really wish I had now.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm watching Ryusuke Taguchi VS Taichi for the JR-Weight title. Wow, Suzukigun really goes all out with heel tactics. That and NJPW/IWGP Refs are really forgiving, tot he point where this might as well be ECW rules.

Edit: YoshiTasu taking the Styles Clash! :gonk:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 4, 2014

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Loving this stuff! is there a way to send it to Chromecast?

E: from the android app.

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 4, 2014

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Loving this stuff! is there a way to send it to Chromecast?

Install Chromecast and cast your entire tab like you would with anything else?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Phenix Rising posted:

Install Chromecast and cast your entire tab like you would with anything else?

Oh sorry man, I meant from the app on the phone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm watching Ryusuke Taguchi VS Taichi for the JR-Weight title. Wow, Suzukigun really goes all out with heel tactics. That and NJPW/IWGP Refs are really forgiving, tot he point where this might as well be ECW rules.

That's New Japan's idea of a comedy match -- over-the-top heeling it up.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: YoshiTasu taking the Styles Clash! :gonk:

That poo poo convinced me AJ has to stop that using that move ASAP. Seriously. Has there been one move performed by one wrestler that's seriously injured more people? At least in a major promotion. I'm sure there's some indie rear end in a top hat who's botching the Burning Hammer every other night.

Speaking of which, just got done watching Liger/Sasuke at the Super J Cup, and yeah I think that's the best botch of all time in terms of adding to the match. I hear people say "Oh yeah it would've been 5 stars except for that ending" but I think that the executed finish may be my favorite of all time.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
i should rewatch that match, i always hated the blown spot at the end as a kid but i also used to watch wrestling more to see cool moves than for storytelling so it didn't really matter to me how well it fit the match since i was being denied a springboard huricanrana or whatever. this match has another great example of playing off a blown spot enhancing the match.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

brutaru posted:

That poo poo convinced me AJ has to stop that using that move ASAP. Seriously. Has there been one move performed by one wrestler that's seriously injured more people? At least in a major promotion. I'm sure there's some indie rear end in a top hat who's botching the Burning Hammer every other night.

Speaking of which, just got done watching Liger/Sasuke at the Super J Cup, and yeah I think that's the best botch of all time in terms of adding to the match. I hear people say "Oh yeah it would've been 5 stars except for that ending" but I think that the executed finish may be my favorite of all time.

That ending is a really happy mistake. Yeah, it's a blown spot, and I really don't like how Liger reacts to it, but it makes Sasuke look amazing that he managed to pull a win out after it.

Plus it's the ending of possibly the best Jr match ever.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
It'll be easy enough to get the app for the PS3/PS4 from the Japanese PSN shop. As long as they don't IP lock anything (which I can't see why they would, since they haven't with anything else) it'll work while logged into an account from another region once you download it.

\/\/\/ Fair enough, I just never think about that since I don't need it. I'm a jerk.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 4, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Watching it on the PS3 won't have the auto translation, though.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Watching it on the PS3 won't have the auto translation, though.

hell, if I could play Firepro on the Dreamcast, I could probably figure this out.

right? :ohdear:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I'd think so. Once you know what you're looking for it shouldn't be too difficult.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave had some interesting notes on the business side of NJPW World, and how it compares to the WWE Network.

quote:

New Japan owner Takaaki Kidani, announcing his goals of surpassing WWE and UFC as the No. 1 sports entertainment group in the world, copied WWE with the announcement on 12/1 of New Japan World, a streaming video service at http://njpwworld.com that will air all of its major shows, even down to the monthly price of 999 yen.

The service launched immediately after the announcement of the press conference, and was accessible worldwide. The next day, Kidani, without giving any numbers, said they were blown away by the number of sign-ups outside of Japan.

Kidani stated the first year goal was 100,000 subscribers, figuring at the time that almost all subscriptions would come from Japan, and figured they could eventually do several hundred thousand subscribers with strong international growth, and in particular brought up eventually having English language announcers for major shows and English subtitles, similar to how the show on AXS television would be done. He’s hopeful that the service, which will include all major shows as well as the weekly one hour television show World Pro Wrestling (although it appears they will run one month behind) will help international expansion, which is the group’s current focus.

Kidani said that they right now are the No. 1 company in the world when it comes to the actual wrestling product, but they are behind WWE when it comes to business.

Like with WWE, they are undercutting their PPV price, and will be airing their version of WrestleMania, the Wrestle Kingdom 9 show on 1/4 at the Tokyo Dome, with a two-hour pre-game show and four hour main show, on New Japan World, both live and with archives put up immediately after the show.

The service is priced at essentially the same price as the WWE Network and UFC network are for monthly subscriptions. Unlike both, they are including all of their up-to-date content with the exception of the one hour television show, on the service. In that sense, it is like UFC’s Latin America channel. Also different from the WWE service, this is no 24 hour live programming, and also different from both, the library is only New Japan content as opposed to purchased rights for footage from other companies. Also, unlike UFC, there is no price break for ordering multiple months, at least at first. Because the yen has fallen against the American dollar of late, the price at press time was $8.42 U.S., $9.54 Canadian and 5.36 British pounds, per month.

This undercuts Jeff Jarrett’s English language produced PPVs on television throughout North America and on the Flipps App on the Internet worldwide outside of Japan, which was charging $34.95 for the show alone. Last year’s Tokyo Dome was 3500 yen on either PPV or iPPV in Japan, and $35 for iPPV in the U.S. through Ustream. Essentially, like WWE has done with its PPV business, New Japan is killing its two-year-old iPPV business.

In this U.S., the mentality has been that it’s easier to get people to order a PPV on television as opposed to through a streaming service, although WWE may have sped up the curve on changing that one. ROH was doing maybe 2,000 iPPV buys for big shows, and did six times that on traditional PPV with a weaker show, its first time out of the blocks. However, WWE moving from PPV to the network saw regular PPV drop down to 21,000 buys in North America for Hell in a Cell, and that includes Canada, where the WWE is theoretically not even available to be ordered in 80 percent of the homes, and it’s a scaled down version.

But ultimately, the regular television PPV for New Japan is likely to have a short run. For the 1/4 show, while the super hardcores in the U.S. and Canada will order the network, a large part of the television audience won’t likely even know there is a New Japan World service, and for most, the Japanese commentary is a deal breaker and Jim Ross is a positive. But in the long run, once New Japan World starts broadcasting in English, people will learn to stream it for the lower price, provided there are no technical issues like what badly damaged ROH for years. The idea of Jarrett being able to build a PPV franchise with New Japan, which was a longshot but not an impossibility, via the traditional PPV route, seems far more than a longshot today.

A big difference is that while WWE takes in the lion’s share of its $9.99 per month, so there was some argument for doing it the way they did, New Japan and TV-Asahi are equal partners in this venture, since TV-Asahi owns the broadcast rights to the library. So they go from getting 50% of the Niconico higher priced sales from iPPVs to 50% of a much lower price point. Plus, for this year, the plans of doing doubles, which is two straight nights of PPV quality shows, means fans get both shows for the low price instead of having to order two shows individually. A usual New Japan PPV would be 2000 yen, so if there’s a double, like in February, it goes from 4000 yen for someone wanting both shows, to 999 yen, and you throw in probably three or more house shows during that month as well. It’s a super deal for the hardcore fan. The difference is, because of the television situation, New Japan is carried by the hardcore fan base. WWE is not, and the idea of the network was that the increase in casual fan buys by giving them far more content at a lower price makes up for getting far less money from the most ardent fan who buys everything. For New Japan, it’s far more of a risk. In addition, WWE, being an American product, has been able to provably be successful exporting their product, while New Japan has never been able to do so.

For example, the service would also enable subscribers to stream the entire G-1 Climax series in August for 999 yen per month. In 2013, to stream G-1 it cost $150 and in 2014, it cost $110 if ordered in advance and $160 if ordered the days before the first show. They also talked about how next year they were looking at doing every show of the tag team tournament airing live.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
the idea that someone in charge of such a large company could have such spurious motivations for initiating such a major change in their business model is unnerving

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

the idea that someone in charge of such a large company could have such spurious motivations for initiating such a major change in their business model is unnerving

Depends on how much of a cut they're getting from the traditional PPV routes. If the NJPW World provides them a better cut, all they have to do is wait out the tech to become more commonplace/reliable.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone been able to find any Brock matches from NJPW on World? The events he was part of (2005, 2006) seem to be there but his match is omitted in both cases. He's also not in the tag list.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

Depends on how much of a cut they're getting from the traditional PPV routes. If the NJPW World provides them a better cut, all they have to do is wait out the tech to become more commonplace/reliable.

And the Japanese fans were buying the shows online anyway since relatively few in Japan have access to the traditional distribution.

I do think they're in a better position to make it work, but it is a bit unnerving to see them in an almost TNA-like rush to copy the WWE's service that has basically been a failure for them up to this point.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

I can't imagine they were getting less than 500 yen for their PPV cut

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Has anyone been able to find any Brock matches from NJPW on World? The events he was part of (2005, 2006) seem to be there but his match is omitted in both cases. He's also not in the tag list.

You'll just have to make due with Bob Sapp matches from around 2002.

This is peak Inoki destructiveness and insanity, right?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

And the Japanese fans were buying the shows online anyway since relatively few in Japan have access to the traditional distribution.

I do think they're in a better position to make it work, but it is a bit unnerving to see them in an almost TNA-like rush to copy the WWE's service that has basically been a failure for them up to this point.

The WWE opened their press conference announcing The Network by saying basically "Wrestling fans are really loose with their money, they'll buy anything" Also, they've never really lived in the online sphere the same way other wrestling companies are doing now.

What WWE is doing with their network isn't new. CZW, Chikara, WSU, ROH, WWN, etc all do iPPV and online archives for fans to peruse. WWE's just doing it on a larger scale(and completely ignoring standards and practices already established).

NJPW World has some rough edges but its a heckuva lot better out of the gate than The Network was.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Given that the vast majority of the people watching NJPW in North America are hardcores, I think they have a far greater chance of converting the pirating crowd to being subscribers than WWE had/has. I've watched more NJPW via DailyMotion than UStream or NicoNico, primarily because I don't always have time for the shows and by the time I do, they're already online, and I will give this service my money every single month until it ends or until the product falls off greatly.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
The question of where their future talent is going to come from is an interesting one too. Right now they have two young guys that I can see potentially main eventing in future in Ibushi and Shibata (who isn't that young, same age as Nakamura but his body isn't wrecked from years of working the NJPW house style). That's a pretty small number given you can't assume every guy you try to promote to main event status will be accepted by the fans (look at Naito) or draw. I don't know how the numbers look on Okada's drawing record but the first match vs. AJ bombing when Nakumura was able to draw opposite Fale of all people doesn't look good. After that who do they even have?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spermgod posted:

The question of where their future talent is going to come from is an interesting one too. Right now they have two young guys that I can see potentially main eventing in future in Ibushi and Shibata (who isn't that young, same age as Nakamura but his body isn't wrecked from years of working the NJPW house style). That's a pretty small number given you can't assume every guy you try to promote to main event status will be accepted by the fans (look at Naito) or draw. I don't know how the numbers look on Okada's drawing record but the first match vs. AJ bombing when Nakumura was able to draw opposite Fale of all people doesn't look good. After that who do they even have?

They need to develop some strong HW but I think the biggest thing in their favor is I think they have the juniors talent to prop the company up long enough to develop a few people, if they can find them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The HW and Jr divisions do have a fairly solid future, it's the tag division that could really use work. There's very few young, credible tag teams in the company right now.

Like, I love Kojima, but TenCozy shouldn't still be a linchpin of a division in 2015.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

I don't know how the numbers look on Okada's drawing record but the first match vs. AJ bombing when Nakumura was able to draw opposite Fale of all people doesn't look good. After that who do they even have?

You're right that they need more talent in the pipeline but this is a bit unfair. No one had a loving clue who AJ was and that was in a much bigger arena than Sumo Hall with a card with much less notice. If we go by sheer numbers there was still more people in the house for the AJ match than either of the two IC matches with Fale.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I think the singles heavyweights are largely very well booked up and down the card, which is good since it's the most important division. I find the way the Jr belt and both sets of tag belts have been booked to be pretty lacking honestly. Taguchi should be nowhere near any title. The junior tag teams trade wins in meaningless 10 minute spotfest multimans where nobody stands out on every PPV but at least they're on the shows which is more than you can say for the heavyweight teams.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Spermgod posted:

I think the singles heavyweights are largely very well booked up and down the card, which is good since it's the most important division. I find the way the Jr belt and both sets of tag belts have been booked to be pretty lacking honestly. Taguchi should be nowhere near any title. The junior tag teams trade wins in meaningless 10 minute spotfest multimans where nobody stands out on every PPV but at least they're on the shows which is more than you can say for the heavyweight teams.

Yeah I'd agree with this. I don't really care all that much about the jr divisions, I just watch them to see some flippydoos.

What they need is someone like Jericho in 97, someone to give the division some flavour through storylines.

I know it's not NJPWs "thing" really but the need a little something more than "these guys wrestle the same matches on every card"

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Do they even have anyone in the Dojo rn? I remember hearing that everyone in the last batch of trainees left. It does seem about time for Tanaka and Komatsu to go on excursion or move up the card. It seems that the only dojo boy over the last few years to be a heavyweight is Watanabe.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Kenny Omega should at least lend some direction and charisma to the Jr division.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Devitte run with the jrn title did give the division some much needed character to it, but for the most part they are just there to warm up the crowd. The Jrn tag titles are purely to get people excited in anticipation of the real important parts of the card, and they're effective at doing that. At the same time I wouldn't be shocked to discover that the jrn tag tourny ends up having created more buzz than whats been a pretty lackluster world tag league.

There's been some good tag leagues over the years but the line up this year just hasn't really clicked.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Devitte run with the jrn title did give the division some much needed character to it, but for the most part they are just there to warm up the crowd. The Jrn tag titles are purely to get people excited in anticipation of the real important parts of the card, and they're effective at doing that.

I mean that's true now but in the 90s it had its own booker, its own ace, and was a minor draw in itself. I don't think they have anyone even close to a 90s Liger who can carry the division like that now but there's no reason they shouldn't try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Spermgod posted:

I mean that's true now but in the 90s it had its own booker, its own ace, and was a minor draw in itself. I don't think they have anyone even close to a 90s Liger who can carry the division like that now but there's no reason they shouldn't try.

Yeah I don't disagree with this at all. There is a problem now where it's almost like the American scene where if anyone gets truly credible in the jrn's they're pushed up to the heavyweight scene. Also while I've liked the matches, I don't think the annual feed the Jrn champ to the IWGP champ main event does anything for anybody, except reinforce that the heavyweights are more important.

• Locked thread