Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Isn't Naito a tweener as well? Like half the time I've seen him he's working heel.

Naito is supposed to be the cleanest of cut baby faces. He just gets a mixed response, but a lot less of one than he did during the doomed post injury push that some of the fans rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

E: nm

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Naito is supposed to be the cleanest of cut baby faces. He just gets a mixed response, but a lot less of one than he did during the doomed post injury push that some of the fans rejected.

The Road to the Dome shows last year from Korakuen were hilarious because Naito was receiving a stereotypical John Cena reaction. There were a bunch of kids with Naito merch and signs in the front row cheering loudly for him but pretty much every adult man was booing the poo poo out of him.

Tana works subtle heel a lot of the time against Nakamura and Okada but he's still definitely a super face.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Part of the magic of the Okada/Tana matches is that they come off as two people that genuinely want to hurt each other. So I'd expect Tana to want to gently caress up Okada's knee.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yeah I don't know that I've ever seen Naito work heel... the crowd just isn't that into him. For a time there it was almost like he was Cena, the crowd was just crapping on him.

Edit: Whoops I see Thauros already made that point

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
he worked heel in the first ishii match iirc

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

coconono posted:

Part of the magic of the Okada/Tana matches is that they come off as two people that genuinely want to hurt each other. So I'd expect Tana to want to gently caress up Okada's knee.

weird, it seems more like an intense yet friendly rivalry to me. then okada does something like tombstoning tanahashi on the floor after a match and it just seems super jarring because they don't communicate anything close that level of hatred and intensity in 99% of their interactions.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

weird, it seems more like an intense yet friendly rivalry to me. then okada does something like tombstoning tanahashi on the floor after a match and it just seems super jarring because they don't communicate anything close that level of hatred and intensity in 99% of their interactions.

I don't see anything friendly in their interactions.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rewatching the first Tanahashi/Okada match and I totally forgot that Tanahashi gets one of his front teeth knocked out like 18 minutes in. I can't tell where it happens, I think he might hit himself in the face with Okada's foot during the repeated dragon screws.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Swagger Dagger posted:

Rewatching the first Tanahashi/Okada match and I totally forgot that Tanahashi gets one of his front teeth knocked out like 18 minutes in. I can't tell where it happens, I think he might hit himself in the face with Okada's foot during the repeated dragon screws.

Yeah I watched that last week and was surprised by that!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Okada's tone in promos is pretty disrespectful in a young, rear end in a top hat-ish way. "Toku ni...arimasen" means "Nothing particularly special" but referring to somebody like that in Japan is pretty rude for a country and language with no real way to swear.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

harperdc posted:

Okada's tone in promos is pretty disrespectful in a young, rear end in a top hat-ish way. "Toku ni...arimasen" means "Nothing particularly special" but referring to somebody like that in Japan is pretty rude for a country and language with no real way to swear.

yeah i was wondering if i was missing something due to not understanding the language. i liked in the match where he first won the title that he wrestled like a dickhead and not what he's started doing since, which i think is supposed to be acting kind of aloof while not being overtly heelish but to me just kinda comes off as lacking emotion/not caring.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I imagine having a guy who's apparently legendary for his mic skills being his mouthpiece doesn't hurt either.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Spermgod posted:

he worked heel in the first ishii match iirc

I feel like he worked heel against Ibushi in the 2013 G1.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Well, that's certainly one way to do it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

OGB posted:

Well, that's certainly one way to do it.

It's literally the cheapest and dirtiest way they can do it.

I really just need to track down Yottsume somewhere in the wilds of Tokyo and have the two of us become NJPW's English desk, including trying to help them build their footprint overseas beyond Japan. God that would be a fun job.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

You are trying to fit things into your own narrative if you still feel this way after stuff like Tanahashi faking a knee injury.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

You are trying to fit things into your own narrative if you still feel this way after stuff like Tanahashi faking a knee injury.

Or Tanahashi two-footed JUMPING on Okada's arm.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

when was that?

edit: i'm primarily talking about the way they wrestle their matches anyway. idk, i feel like Ishii communicates hatred better in his random NEVER title defense of the month than those two do in their constant confrontations.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 11, 2014

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Spermgod posted:

when was that?

G1 Last year I believe.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Spermgod posted:

when was that?

I think it was the KoPW 2013 match, where Tanahashi said if he lost he wouldn't challenge Okada for the title again (also my favourite Tanahashi/Okada match).

Biosys fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 11, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
yeahh i haven't seen that one yet so there are definitely gaps in my understanding

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Here's the promo for that match which was also p. great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_qtu6e2OEw

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i mean looking at their parts of the 8 man from the latest show, there's nothing there that communicates 'these guys hate each other' to me. of course being familiar with the backstory and understanding the language is going to help, but imo ring work should be the primary piece of the puzzle.

edit: ok they did yell in each other's faces a bit which was good, although guys do that in random matches in njpw all the time. i think a lot of it is that fans of the promotion expect a certain style of working which isn't really conducive to a 'blood feud' kind of vibe. like you're not gonna get some Memphis main event of two guys just brutalizing each other. not really either guys' fault. i think they could at least get away with punching each other in the face some though.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 11, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

KoPW 2013 was fantastic, my favorite spot was Tana using the Gedo Clutch and looking smug as gently caress about it.

Edit: Also their promos against each other are always really hateful in a very passive-aggressive way where every single sentence is a veiled insult

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 11, 2014

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Didn't Okada piledrive Tanahashi (on the outside?) and pose over him with the briefcase a few weeks ago?

There's been some other spots like that I think, but yeah most of the really aggressive stuff has been post-match/in promos.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Tonfa posted:

Edit: Also their promos against each other are always really hateful in a very passive-aggressive way where every single sentence is a veiled insult

the passive-aggressive thing actually seems like it could explain a lot about how their matches are worked. like they both hate each other but neither guy wants to lower themselves to visibly losing their cool. kind of a cool idea actually.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Finally signed up today. Heard so many awesome things about the service so I'm excited!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that the first live World card is tomorrow at 5:00 AM EST.

quote:

Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV & Sho Tanaka vs. Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku, Taichi & El Desperado)
TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs. Manabu Nakanishi & BUSHI
CHAOS (Gedo & Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka)
Tetsuya Naito, Yuji Nagata & KUSHIDA vs. Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata & Ryusuke Taguchi
G.B.H. (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii)
Captain Ace (Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan) vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI)

Admittedly not a fantastic card or anything, but some of the matches should be fun and I'm off tomorrow so I'd like to see how the live brodcasts work.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Has anyone figured out a good way to get the matches to show up on TV, hopefully using Chromecast? I've always watched New Japan shows by hooking my iPad up to my TV, which worked great when watching full show streams, but it's a bit of a pain in the rear end with the match by match format because you have to get up and select all 10 individual matches.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

show's starting now if anyone's up

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Been a fun show, and Captain Ace in the main for you loving masochists out there.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Show is already up, looks like in full. 2:16 long. So maybe for anything that airs on NJPW World, we'll get the full show archived, rather than cut up into matches?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That's too bad if that's the case. For multiple reasons I like that things are split up by match - it's easy to go right to what you want and it's also easy to do a tag search and watch all of a certain wrestler's stuff. I hope they just did it like this for expediency's sake and will break it up later.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I prefer shows together but it would be nice if they had spoiler free match markers like FightPass.

I also assumed today's show would be a Samurai TV style show rather than the single cam at a house show setup they used on that Nico subscription service.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Matt Striker will be the broadcast partner of Jim Ross on the January 4 New Japan Pro Wrestling "Wrestle Kingdom 9" pay-per-view event, according to a well placed source. The news has not been confirmed by Global Force Wrestling or Jim Ross at the time of this update.

ProWrestling.Net

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
hahahahahhahaha

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
pahahahaahahhaahahahahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003