Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dunbar posted:

If you're getting some error about a key, you need to enable third party cookies. My Safari had it disabled by default, changing that setting fixed it.

That worked! Thank you! Watching the first Tanahashi/Okada match now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
The Great Antonio vs Inoki http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00018_1_1

Antonio begins to no sell Inoki's offence then well... He was never asked back.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Finally got around to getting NJPW World, going off the SenorLariato list decided to watch this Black Tiger vs Tiger Mask match from 1982:

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00044_1_1

Was the WWF Junior Heavyweight title an actual WWF title or another kinda made up one?

Made up in the context of wrestling I mean.

Biosys fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 6, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Actual title. It was introduced in '81, but WWE didn't actually use it themselves until '97.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The funny thing is that the WWF junior title actually got defended in WCW a couple times when it was part of the J Crown. It was never mentioned by name though.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

So do we think that when tonight's show goes up on the site (at 10am EST tomorrow?), will it be the full show or cut up into matches like everything else? I'm going to miss getting the entire show if we're only going to get matches from now on. I like all the hype packages, pre match videos, entrances, etc. I even like watching intermission sometimes.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dunbar posted:

So do we think that when tonight's show goes up on the site (at 10am EST tomorrow?), will it be the full show or cut up into matches like everything else? I'm going to miss getting the entire show if we're only going to get matches from now on. I like all the hype packages, pre match videos, entrances, etc. I even like watching intermission sometimes.

I'm guessing the latter, although we will get entrances. I wish they kept the pre match hype videos too though since some of them are great.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I watched Shibata-Nakamura from the last iPPV and I swear they had the hype video in there before the entrances. Not all is lost.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I liked the first Okada/Tanahashi IWGP title match. Much prefer Okada as an explicit heel I think. Watched the 06/16/2012 one, almost sent me to sleep. Will try to get through the rest before WK9 but based on that second match Okada has been having the exact same main event match for almost 3 years now so I'm not particularly hopeful.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

I liked the first Okada/Tanahashi IWGP title match. Much prefer Okada as an explicit heel I think. Watched the 06/16/2012 one, almost sent me to sleep. Will try to get through the rest before WK9 but based on that second match Okada has been having the exact same main event match for almost 3 years now so I'm not particularly hopeful.

If you prefer Okada as a heel you should catch his defense during his first reign vs. Naito at the 40th Anniversary show.

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00190_1_2

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, Shinsuke Nakamura is my guy in NJPW. What are some of his MUST WATCH matches?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, Shinsuke Nakamura is my guy in NJPW. What are some of his MUST WATCH matches?

Definitely check him out against Kota Ibushi from night 4 of the 2013 G1 Climax, as well as Nakamura/Sakuraba from WK7. The Wrestle Kingdom match was (I think) Sakuraba's first singles match in over a decade, and it is absolutely glorious.

That being said, every Nakamura match since he became intercontinental champion is extremely watchable, and none would be a waste of time to watch.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

This year's G1 final, Nakamura vs Okada, starts out pretty slow, but the ending sprint is something everyone needs to see.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Just watched Tanahashi/Suzuki from KOPW 2012. Holy poo poo what a tour de force performance by Suzuki; great selling, great offense, great facial expressions. I didn't think Tanahashi contributed anything of note, but he was solid throughout and I think deserves credit for not getting in the way of the other guy's career performance, when as the top guy in the company he could easily make the match all about him (granted I guess it's easier to do that when you know you're going over in the end...). Suzuki looks like an all-time great in matches like this and the one with AJ.

By the by, why does Big Dave always complain about Cena's punches but I've never heard him say anything about Tanahashi's awful elbows?

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
After rewatching Tanahashi/Suzuki, Styles/Suzuki and watching for the first time Nakamura/Sakuraba I am even more excited for the Suzuki/Sakuraba match at the dome, god drat.

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00203_1_10

I've seen Sakuraba in some decent matches, and the stuff he's been doing with Suzuki in the leadup has been great. but didn't know he could have a match like that.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Unless I'm missing it, I can't find the Tag League finals. Wasn't the show supposed to be up about 90 minutes ago? :arghfist:

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Dunbar posted:

Unless I'm missing it, I can't find the Tag League finals. Wasn't the show supposed to be up about 90 minutes ago? :arghfist:

They announced it'll be ready at ~2am JST, so in like half an hour (5pm GMT, 12pm EST).

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It's now up

Part 1 (first five matches): http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00236_1_1

Part 2 (the last four): http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00236_1_2

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Daniel Bryan posted:

It's now up

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00236_1_2

Looks like the whole show. Hooray.

Split up into two, presumably pre and post intermission.

I'm glad we have the option to watch everything but this is one show I wouldn't have minded being split up since it's definitely a b show.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I keep hearing about World Tag League. Is there more than just these two videos? Still have a hard time finding stuff sometimes, even with Google translate at my finger tips.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Phenix Rising posted:

I keep hearing about World Tag League. Is there more than just these two videos? Still have a hard time finding stuff sometimes, even with Google translate at my finger tips.

Those two videos are of the Final show from early this morning.

quote:

Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata - WORLD TAG LEAGUE FINAL
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, Togi Makabe & La Sombra vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI)
Tetsuya Naito, Tomoaki Honma & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Bullet Club (AJ Styles, Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi)
CHAOS (Toru Yano & Gedo) & Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku)
TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs. Rob Conway & Jax Dane
Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan vs. Michael Bennett & Matt Taven
Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi vs. K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.)
Tiger Mask IV & BUSHI vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi & El Desperado)
Sho Tanaka vs. Yohei Komatsu

Here's the card. Earlier days are not on the service. In the future a much higher % of shows from the big tournaments will be available including every day of the G!.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
lol at another incredibly awkward spot between naito and aj

jesus christ the bump honma took off the top rope (push honma)

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The ROH vs. Liger/Captain match is worth watching for reasons wholly unrelated to match quality.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Gallows is really entertaining on Talking Shop but I wish he was a better wrestler.

Still a really good match but Anderson is kinda everything on that team.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

lol that's pretty unfortunate but i'm glad they just rolled with it instead of doing the spot over

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
okada's hair looks nice. i'm glad he has eyebrows again.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
this 8 man is very underwhelming compared to that korakuen 6 man from a couple weeks ago

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spermgod posted:

okada's hair looks nice. i'm glad he has eyebrows again.

He's got that 90's WCW Ric Flair hairdo going.

Oh they put up the show as pre- and post-intermission? Coooool. I'll definitely watch it tonight. There was some cool looking stuff on Twitter when it was live.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

He's got that 90's WCW Ric Flair hairdo going.

Oh they put up the show as pre- and post-intermission? Coooool. I'll definitely watch it tonight. There was some cool looking stuff on Twitter when it was live.

Actually they even included the intermission at the beginning of Part 2, show's complete.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Goddamnit, I marked out hard for Goto/Shibata winning the main event and then remembered that it was for a title shot, not the titles.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Okada/Tanahashi from the 2012 Dome show is the first Okada match I can understand the effusive praise for. To me this felt a lot more like a Tanahashi match than an Okada match in terms of how it was laid out. Kinda like a WWE epic Wrestlemania main event in the sense that while on the micro level none of the individual things they did were particularly interesting (mostly just a lot of signature spots), the big picture story was very well told.

- Tanahashi going back down to the ramp to drag Okada back into the ring like "oh hell no son you aren't getting counted out".
- Okada actually dominated most of the match with Tanahashi having to be opportunistic and find spots to get offense in (which seems to be a standard Tanahashi trope). They saved the back-and-forth for the end, which made it more meaningful.
- I don't think it's appropriate for the climax to every big match to be this epic selling deal with lots of trading big moves interspersed with laying around, and they do probably overuse that trope in NJPW, but for a Dome main event you certainly can and maybe even should do that.
- They didn't do a bunch of near-falls that nobody would have bought anyway because of how modern NJPW main events are always laid out.

Dislikes:
- Limb work that went absolutely nowhere. Not sure if it's an Okada or a Tanahashi thing or just a trope of the modern NJPW main event style in general but it does come up a lot. I guess the idea was to have drama by teasing Okada submitting to the Texas Clover but who actually buys that possibility?
- Tanahashi is so incredibly limited as an offensive wrestler - how many Sling Blades do we really need to see in one match? Luckily this match was more about structure than Stuff.
- Finish was pretty predictable since you know the match will only end on a finisher and there's going to be at least one finisher kickout.
- Might not be fair to judge a match from 2012 for this, the constant Rainmaker reversals in the latter third of a match are soooo played out at this point.

Overall, very good match. Probably better at the Dome than it would have been any other time of year because of intangibles like big match feel. Both guys came off as huge stars in that setting. Not FIVE STARS good to me but I can at least say I only find that a little bit crazy as opposed to insane.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 8, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Anyone have recommendations for Nakamura as a heel early in CHAOS? He was already getting pretty tweenery by the time I started watching heavy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Thauros posted:

Anyone have recommendations for Nakamura as a heel early in CHAOS? He was already getting pretty tweenery by the time I started watching heavy.

He and Yano formed CHAOS in April '09, and they were straight-up 100% heels at that point, so anything in mid-late 2009 is Heelamura.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

What was the year where Nakumura met a traveller along the road and traded his soul for charisma?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Skinty McEdger posted:

What was the year where Nakumura met a traveller along the road and traded his soul for charisma?

Whenever his extended CMLL stint was. He was still pretty bereft of charisma through NJ Black/RISE.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He and Yano formed CHAOS in April '09, and they were straight-up 100% heels at that point, so anything in mid-late 2009 is Heelamura.

CHAOS are still heels today though except when facing the Bullet Club or Sasukigun, correct? According to wikipedia there more of a tweener group today.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Whenever his extended CMLL stint was. He was still pretty bereft of charisma through NJ Black/RISE.

What was NJ Black/Rise?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

BigRed0427 posted:

CHAOS are still heels today though except when facing the Bullet Club or Sasukigun, correct? According to wikipedia there more of a tweener group today.

Chaos are pretty much completely face at this point, the last heelish members of the group left in the shuffle last summer.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They're Stone Cold faces, they're not the same as the white-bread babies like Naito and Tanahashi and will work semi heel against those guys but for all intents they're ruffians with hearts of gold (or rain of gold, in Okada's case). Hell, as of recently even Sakuraba is technically in CHAOS so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

harperdc posted:

They're Stone Cold faces, they're not the same as the white-bread babies like Naito and Tanahashi and will work semi heel against those guys but for all intents they're ruffians with hearts of gold (or rain of gold, in Okada's case). Hell, as of recently even Sakuraba is technically in CHAOS so.

Isn't Naito a tweener as well? Like half the time I've seen him he's working heel.

• Locked thread