Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gfanikf posted:

Of interest is that the site has a notice that it is licensed through the Japanese Composers Society (Rights Performance Agency) which is why we're hearing music on some of the songs, though oddly other stuff isn't cleared. This is something no one who isn't an IP law nerd likely cares about though.

Also I'm willing to start a pot with :10bux: for someone to get a working and installable apk (ie it can at least install) for the player anyone else want to contribute?

The iPPVs have been that way for a long time, blanking out or now replacing the music they haven't got the clearances for. Some of them are awesome too - Yuji Nagata, Togi Makabe and Jushin Thunder Liger are the three biggest omissions. But more of the themes are falling under NJPW's rights so it's less an issue. And let's all be glad we get "Kaze ni Nare" in its glory.

I'll find time to give you guys a cheat-sheet for names in Japanese so you can just copy and paste them into the search field. I wish there was a way to play the iPPV straight through or choose to go match by match, but the tag system NJPW has is a lot better and really well integrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gfanikf posted:

No translation. Though apparently NJPW is thinking of adding that.

flashy_mcflash posted:

What time does World Tag League start this Soil?

Based on time zones, as mentioned, it's probably late at night on Money for America.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm watching Ryusuke Taguchi VS Taichi for the JR-Weight title. Wow, Suzukigun really goes all out with heel tactics. That and NJPW/IWGP Refs are really forgiving, tot he point where this might as well be ECW rules.

That's New Japan's idea of a comedy match -- over-the-top heeling it up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I love them so much but that bicycle is so, so ill-advised.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I watched Shibata-Nakamura from the last iPPV and I swear they had the hype video in there before the entrances. Not all is lost.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spermgod posted:

okada's hair looks nice. i'm glad he has eyebrows again.

He's got that 90's WCW Ric Flair hairdo going.

Oh they put up the show as pre- and post-intermission? Coooool. I'll definitely watch it tonight. There was some cool looking stuff on Twitter when it was live.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They're Stone Cold faces, they're not the same as the white-bread babies like Naito and Tanahashi and will work semi heel against those guys but for all intents they're ruffians with hearts of gold (or rain of gold, in Okada's case). Hell, as of recently even Sakuraba is technically in CHAOS so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Okada's tone in promos is pretty disrespectful in a young, rear end in a top hat-ish way. "Toku ni...arimasen" means "Nothing particularly special" but referring to somebody like that in Japan is pretty rude for a country and language with no real way to swear.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

OGB posted:

Well, that's certainly one way to do it.

It's literally the cheapest and dirtiest way they can do it.

I really just need to track down Yottsume somewhere in the wilds of Tokyo and have the two of us become NJPW's English desk, including trying to help them build their footprint overseas beyond Japan. God that would be a fun job.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Been a fun show, and Captain Ace in the main for you loving masochists out there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

I prefer shows together but it would be nice if they had spoiler free match markers like FightPass.

I also assumed today's show would be a Samurai TV style show rather than the single cam at a house show setup they used on that Nico subscription service.

It's a house show in the middle of BFE Ibaraki, it's just a two-cam setup and muting of songs they don't have. It's literally in a town gymnasium too. It's just a house show, so it's more "it's nice that we get these" to me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There's another Korakuen show coming up in a half hour as well. Apparently it's sold out too, so that's good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Taguchi's comedy in there had me lolling

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Haha the announcers first mock this caveman looking mofo for not being as fast to undo the turnbuckle cover as Yano Toru, then they explode with glee at the flip pile driver.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm the chick behind Mask de Justice Yuji who's drinking a bottle of coffee with her (Mistico) mask still on. Kayfabe still lives.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Swagsuke just did the La Parka dance during his entrance.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, they definitely announced his signing on a year-long deal before the main event. Hence showing him with the jacket and then the lion mark shirt post-show.

I loved it because it was low-stakes all around but everyone was having fun. Mask de Justice Yuji showing up and making Nogata corpse during the break, Taguchi's comedy spots, big showcase spotfests for all the CMLL guys...good stuff, and it sold out a few hours before bell time too, which is good for a random-rear end Monday night.

Also seeing Captain in the tag match with CMLL on his mask, first thing went through my head was 「キャプテンもちろんLL」:haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I don't think it's a reluctance to a monthly service thing. NicoNico has a monthly subscription plan for some Puro companies and it seems to be a success.

Could it be more related to how Japan relates to their cable companies/broadcast fees?

Niconico is the exception. There's not the same uptake of streaming like in the US. Hell, DVD rentals are still a surviving business in Japan. That should say something.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tonight's Road to THE NEW BEGINNING show is in about an hour, for all you crazies back in the U.S. or Europeans waking up early.

Typical Korakuen show with a lot of tag matches and multi-mans, but hey, it should be a fun one at least.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

minoru suzuki posted:

is this a house show or a production level show

Shows at Korakuen will have production levels closer to the TV products, before NJPW World they're ones that I guess would also make it to Samurai TV or the clips would be used for TV sometimes. So it won't be the bare-bones one or two camera setup like house shows in gyms and town halls.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I mean I pay for it and don't have anything else tonight, prob gonna watch that.

Still want to go to a Korakuen show live. Might wait for fall though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

I forgot all about the Korakuen show today, but apparently Ricochet showed up and challenged the winner of KUSHIDA/Omega to a match.

Yep, he said he's got next after Dominion with whoever wins the junior title match.

Shows still live now too btw.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The main event was so drat perfect. It wasn't MOY contender or anything but it's exactly perfectly what I love about NJPW and exactly what I'd want from a house show main. Including AJ botching the promo :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Number 1893, joined 12/01/2014.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What was MGKA yelling into the headsets there? Not on the English feed and they turned the ambient mic low once he started ranting. Think it was something about Internet rumors?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yano led the post-match promo first by running down the AV guy for the mic problem, then saying "It's alright, I don't understand them either" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I wish I was at Korakuen for this. It is so LOUD for the main event.

• Locked thread