Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Are there any full shows from before the modern era on there other than the 1/4 shows and the first NJPW vs. UWFi show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

what a burial of okada...

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
for any fellow nerds, you can fairly easily save njpw world stuff. you need ffmpeg compiled with --with-openssl. log in to njpw world, open up chrome/firefox web developer tools, go to the Network tab and copy the URL from the iPhonePlaylist.m3u8 GET request and the value of its BIGipServerPOOL_HTTP_www2.uliza.jp_WEB1-3 request cookie. then do this

code:
ffmpeg -y -cookies "BIGipServerPOOL_HTTP_www2.uliza.jp_WEB1-3=COOKIE_GOES_HERE; path=/; domain
=njpwworld.com" -i "URL_GOES_HERE" -c copy filename.ts
you can also pipe the output to VLC or whatever:

code:
ffmpeg -y -cookies "BIGipServerPOOL_HTTP_www2.uliza.jp_WEB1-3=COOKIE_GOES_HERE; path=/; domain
=njpwworld.com" -i "URL_GOES_HERE" -c copy -f hls pipe:1 | vlc -
i imagine this will probably help with getting stuff to play on your rokus etc but i dont know anything about that

edit: the only problem is if a request times out ffmpeg will just give up. there is probably a way to make it not do this but i don't know what it is.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 3, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
it's annoying that all the 4:3 stuff is pillarboxed 16:9. i guess it's probably the same on the WWE network?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
the problem is the pillarboxes are encoded into the video itself rather than the video being 4:3 and relying on the player to pillarbox it. the way they did it 16:10 displays get letterboxing in addition to the pillarboxing.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
mookieghana compiled a list of all DVDVR Best of '80s New Japan set matches that are currently available on NJPW WORLD

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i should rewatch that match, i always hated the blown spot at the end as a kid but i also used to watch wrestling more to see cool moves than for storytelling so it didn't really matter to me how well it fit the match since i was being denied a springboard huricanrana or whatever. this match has another great example of playing off a blown spot enhancing the match.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
the idea that someone in charge of such a large company could have such spurious motivations for initiating such a major change in their business model is unnerving

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
The question of where their future talent is going to come from is an interesting one too. Right now they have two young guys that I can see potentially main eventing in future in Ibushi and Shibata (who isn't that young, same age as Nakamura but his body isn't wrecked from years of working the NJPW house style). That's a pretty small number given you can't assume every guy you try to promote to main event status will be accepted by the fans (look at Naito) or draw. I don't know how the numbers look on Okada's drawing record but the first match vs. AJ bombing when Nakumura was able to draw opposite Fale of all people doesn't look good. After that who do they even have?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I think the singles heavyweights are largely very well booked up and down the card, which is good since it's the most important division. I find the way the Jr belt and both sets of tag belts have been booked to be pretty lacking honestly. Taguchi should be nowhere near any title. The junior tag teams trade wins in meaningless 10 minute spotfest multimans where nobody stands out on every PPV but at least they're on the shows which is more than you can say for the heavyweight teams.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Kenny Omega should at least lend some direction and charisma to the Jr division.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Devitte run with the jrn title did give the division some much needed character to it, but for the most part they are just there to warm up the crowd. The Jrn tag titles are purely to get people excited in anticipation of the real important parts of the card, and they're effective at doing that.

I mean that's true now but in the 90s it had its own booker, its own ace, and was a minor draw in itself. I don't think they have anyone even close to a 90s Liger who can carry the division like that now but there's no reason they shouldn't try.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Thauros posted:

You're right that they need more talent in the pipeline but this is a bit unfair. No one had a loving clue who AJ was and that was in a much bigger arena than Sumo Hall with a card with much less notice. If we go by sheer numbers there was still more people in the house for the AJ match than either of the two IC matches with Fale.

i couldn't check before since i was on my phone but cagematch says both Nakamura/Fale matches outdrew AJ/Okada, the first by 150 or so and the second by about 700. no clue if those figures are accurate. your other points are fair though.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

LvK posted:

As a disgusting shoot-style fanboy, I love Inoki-ism in the same way I love the stupider parts of wcw

my understanding is a major reason the NJPW fanbase latched onto Tanahashi is because he represented the opposite of the Inoki ideology: pretty boy, very pro-style performer, not a 'real' athlete, etc. i haven't seen much stuff from that era but the 2004 Fujita/Tanahashi match is really really great. i think Tanahashi is at his best when he's working as an underdog, he lacks range as an offensive wrestler imo. i could do without the shoot soccer kicks to the head, but at least it's not Ishikawa/Ikeda...

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
hooly gently caress this was great http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00067_2_1 (Maeda/Fujinami 06/12/86)

finish kinda sucked but that's the 80s for you, not to mention it was an interpromotional match so yeah

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 6, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
oh hey here's the infamous sumo hall riot incident http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00081_1_1

haha holy poo poo those "yamero!" chants are loud

edit: lmao all the trash getting thrown in the ring, this owns

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 6, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I liked the first Okada/Tanahashi IWGP title match. Much prefer Okada as an explicit heel I think. Watched the 06/16/2012 one, almost sent me to sleep. Will try to get through the rest before WK9 but based on that second match Okada has been having the exact same main event match for almost 3 years now so I'm not particularly hopeful.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Just watched Tanahashi/Suzuki from KOPW 2012. Holy poo poo what a tour de force performance by Suzuki; great selling, great offense, great facial expressions. I didn't think Tanahashi contributed anything of note, but he was solid throughout and I think deserves credit for not getting in the way of the other guy's career performance, when as the top guy in the company he could easily make the match all about him (granted I guess it's easier to do that when you know you're going over in the end...). Suzuki looks like an all-time great in matches like this and the one with AJ.

By the by, why does Big Dave always complain about Cena's punches but I've never heard him say anything about Tanahashi's awful elbows?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
lol at another incredibly awkward spot between naito and aj

jesus christ the bump honma took off the top rope (push honma)

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 7, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
okada's hair looks nice. i'm glad he has eyebrows again.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
this 8 man is very underwhelming compared to that korakuen 6 man from a couple weeks ago

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Okada/Tanahashi from the 2012 Dome show is the first Okada match I can understand the effusive praise for. To me this felt a lot more like a Tanahashi match than an Okada match in terms of how it was laid out. Kinda like a WWE epic Wrestlemania main event in the sense that while on the micro level none of the individual things they did were particularly interesting (mostly just a lot of signature spots), the big picture story was very well told.

- Tanahashi going back down to the ramp to drag Okada back into the ring like "oh hell no son you aren't getting counted out".
- Okada actually dominated most of the match with Tanahashi having to be opportunistic and find spots to get offense in (which seems to be a standard Tanahashi trope). They saved the back-and-forth for the end, which made it more meaningful.
- I don't think it's appropriate for the climax to every big match to be this epic selling deal with lots of trading big moves interspersed with laying around, and they do probably overuse that trope in NJPW, but for a Dome main event you certainly can and maybe even should do that.
- They didn't do a bunch of near-falls that nobody would have bought anyway because of how modern NJPW main events are always laid out.

Dislikes:
- Limb work that went absolutely nowhere. Not sure if it's an Okada or a Tanahashi thing or just a trope of the modern NJPW main event style in general but it does come up a lot. I guess the idea was to have drama by teasing Okada submitting to the Texas Clover but who actually buys that possibility?
- Tanahashi is so incredibly limited as an offensive wrestler - how many Sling Blades do we really need to see in one match? Luckily this match was more about structure than Stuff.
- Finish was pretty predictable since you know the match will only end on a finisher and there's going to be at least one finisher kickout.
- Might not be fair to judge a match from 2012 for this, the constant Rainmaker reversals in the latter third of a match are soooo played out at this point.

Overall, very good match. Probably better at the Dome than it would have been any other time of year because of intangibles like big match feel. Both guys came off as huge stars in that setting. Not FIVE STARS good to me but I can at least say I only find that a little bit crazy as opposed to insane.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 8, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
he worked heel in the first ishii match iirc

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

coconono posted:

Part of the magic of the Okada/Tana matches is that they come off as two people that genuinely want to hurt each other. So I'd expect Tana to want to gently caress up Okada's knee.

weird, it seems more like an intense yet friendly rivalry to me. then okada does something like tombstoning tanahashi on the floor after a match and it just seems super jarring because they don't communicate anything close that level of hatred and intensity in 99% of their interactions.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

harperdc posted:

Okada's tone in promos is pretty disrespectful in a young, rear end in a top hat-ish way. "Toku ni...arimasen" means "Nothing particularly special" but referring to somebody like that in Japan is pretty rude for a country and language with no real way to swear.

yeah i was wondering if i was missing something due to not understanding the language. i liked in the match where he first won the title that he wrestled like a dickhead and not what he's started doing since, which i think is supposed to be acting kind of aloof while not being overtly heelish but to me just kinda comes off as lacking emotion/not caring.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

You are trying to fit things into your own narrative if you still feel this way after stuff like Tanahashi faking a knee injury.

when was that?

edit: i'm primarily talking about the way they wrestle their matches anyway. idk, i feel like Ishii communicates hatred better in his random NEVER title defense of the month than those two do in their constant confrontations.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 11, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
yeahh i haven't seen that one yet so there are definitely gaps in my understanding

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i mean looking at their parts of the 8 man from the latest show, there's nothing there that communicates 'these guys hate each other' to me. of course being familiar with the backstory and understanding the language is going to help, but imo ring work should be the primary piece of the puzzle.

edit: ok they did yell in each other's faces a bit which was good, although guys do that in random matches in njpw all the time. i think a lot of it is that fans of the promotion expect a certain style of working which isn't really conducive to a 'blood feud' kind of vibe. like you're not gonna get some Memphis main event of two guys just brutalizing each other. not really either guys' fault. i think they could at least get away with punching each other in the face some though.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 11, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Tonfa posted:

Edit: Also their promos against each other are always really hateful in a very passive-aggressive way where every single sentence is a veiled insult

the passive-aggressive thing actually seems like it could explain a lot about how their matches are worked. like they both hate each other but neither guy wants to lower themselves to visibly losing their cool. kind of a cool idea actually.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
hahahahahhahaha

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't always hate him on Lucha Underground.

a tanahashi there

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Makabe's strikes have looked like poo poo lately. Don't know if he's really injured or what.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
yeah i thought i saw someone say it doesnt auto renew before and propogated that myself but it sure does

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I guess I understand why it was him, but if they're going to have Okada eat an upset loss I wish it had been to someone with a higher ceiling than Fale. Didn't watch the entire show yet but outside of Desperado's sick tope con giro that match kinda sucked. NJPW are so bad at doing interference in a way that doesn't detract from a match.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Skinty McEdger posted:

I don't know, I thought that the interference shenanigans in AJ/MiSu during the g1 was some of the best booking of run ins I've seen in a long time.

That said I agree that sometimes it's pretty terrible, most often when Suzuki Army is involved.

i think that's pretty much the one time it's been done well

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Fun show so far up until that last match. Not sure if Volador Jr. understands there's more to wrestling than doing moves.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
not having your customary title match 7 minute all matwork first fall is really exposing how quickly some of these guys get tired

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I didn't think that was THAT bad, just slow. Both guys have certainly had a lot better showings though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
They pretty much work the one fall title matches like the third fall of a regular title match and it doesn't come off too well

• Locked thread