Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

I wish I could change the title to NJPW World- The customer will apologize that we apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks for this, I've seen very little '80s NJPW

So far what I've watched is peak Inoki. Weird rules matches, lots of big hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

the idea that someone in charge of such a large company could have such spurious motivations for initiating such a major change in their business model is unnerving

Depends on how much of a cut they're getting from the traditional PPV routes. If the NJPW World provides them a better cut, all they have to do is wait out the tech to become more commonplace/reliable.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

And the Japanese fans were buying the shows online anyway since relatively few in Japan have access to the traditional distribution.

I do think they're in a better position to make it work, but it is a bit unnerving to see them in an almost TNA-like rush to copy the WWE's service that has basically been a failure for them up to this point.

The WWE opened their press conference announcing The Network by saying basically "Wrestling fans are really loose with their money, they'll buy anything" Also, they've never really lived in the online sphere the same way other wrestling companies are doing now.

What WWE is doing with their network isn't new. CZW, Chikara, WSU, ROH, WWN, etc all do iPPV and online archives for fans to peruse. WWE's just doing it on a larger scale(and completely ignoring standards and practices already established).

NJPW World has some rough edges but its a heckuva lot better out of the gate than The Network was.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

elf help book posted:

I've never watched NJPW, should I buy this?

You like weird MMA fights? NJPW was doing them 10 years before PRIDE.
You like puro classics? NJPW has its fair share.
You like best modern era big stage wrestling on the planet? NJPW is doing that right now

Hate selling? Go watch Dragon Gate.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KungFu Grip posted:

No it was a stupid one night only NJPW tournament that was MMA Themed. It was Inoki vs. Gerard Gordeau, a guy who was a savate champion in 1991. Tony Palmore was a Karate fighter in the late 70s early 80s and by this time looks like he might have been retired. Inoki had some shoot like fighting to him but Sting was just a body builder trained to pro wrestle. So you have Sting and an old retired karate fighter having a worked shoot match where Sting looks like a complete chump with the fakest and weakest punches I've seen thrown knocking him to the ground. In the end Sting wins that match, Inoki wins his match and then wins the whole tournament.

I watched Gerard match and its hilarious because Inoki gets legit lit up several times. Gerard gives no fucks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dsriggs posted:

That & Inoki encouraged his guys to do stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-MZUUU1tU

Yuji, nooooooo That's not how you beat Fedor. His weakness is wrestling.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Part of the magic of the Okada/Tana matches is that they come off as two people that genuinely want to hurt each other. So I'd expect Tana to want to gently caress up Okada's knee.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

weird, it seems more like an intense yet friendly rivalry to me. then okada does something like tombstoning tanahashi on the floor after a match and it just seems super jarring because they don't communicate anything close that level of hatred and intensity in 99% of their interactions.

I don't see anything friendly in their interactions.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wonder if they'll upload any of the stuff they put together for the MSG network. I want more Bruno matches.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

tag surfing and found this gem:
http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00153_1_5

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BigRed0427 posted:

THank you for pointing that out

search still doesn't work right, unless my autotranslate is fighting the site's translator.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Half the fun of it is tag surfing and seeing how far into the weeds you can get.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm watching Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi vs Karl Gotch & Lou Thesz in 1973 from that Google spreadsheet and I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it. It's a very slow pace with a lot of grappling but it's interesting to see what holds transition into what. And it's really refreshing to see a tag match without hot tags or partner fuckery.

One thing I'm confused about. Lou Thesz back dropped Seiji for the pin and they waited a moment to restart the match. Is it a 2 out of 3 falls type of match or are there some sort of weird rules I don't know about? - edit Oh, it was a 2 out of 3 falls match. Fantastic match and I'm going to have to watch some more Karl Gotch matches. The way he moves in the ring is so strange.

old school matches were almost always 2 put of 3 falls.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bummed I can't find any of Chyna's NJPW outings. Supposedly they matched her against Tanahashi and Chono

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chono match started really good, and then devolved into a bunch of terrible spots.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dsriggs posted:

I hope he treats her better than Nakamura treated his superfan lady...

:ohdear:

Did he stun with the awesome power of YEAOH or am I missing a sneaky knee to the gut?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Deathlove posted:

Does anyone have timestamps for the WK9 matches?

Also, a reasonably good/large photo of the back of the Nakamura KING OF STRONG STYLE shirt? I'd like to get a tech shirt made, since I'm pretty sure that's never ever happening.

why not just buy the shirt?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gfanikf posted:

Is there an offical NJPW world Twitter? I want to see if the novelty of an American asking in English for them to add chromecast support for their app, might get a response or for them to take a look at it.

It's @njpw1972 and the don't respond, sadly. I think it's scheduled bot thing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Smoking Crow posted:

Why were they in North Korea

One of the Kim Jongs was a massive wrestling mark, offered Inoki and WCW lots of money to hold a show in NK for his amusement. IIRC the money spent ended up causing a famine and China had to smuggle in foodstuffs.

Inoki, for whatever reasons, has been trying to broker a SK/NK peace deal for years. Except he's doing it all unilaterally and without UN or Japanese Diet sanction.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

watching the card now. Capt NJPW got murdered.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope they figure out how what happened to all those eyeballs they lost.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

acai moonsault posted:

what the darn hell kind of main is that

"Thanks for putting up with the Gaijin, Yujiro, here's a main event bout. Don't gently caress it up"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Works great for me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tanahashi is a better best friend than John Cena.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lets all enjoy the king of sports

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Sounds like Makabe is out and it's Ishii vs Honma in the semi main.

for the title?!?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

it can't be, because Makabe has the belt

https://translate.google.com/?langp...om%2FCcG77ndFFf

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chase Owens just got hosed over. Lost the title and doesn't get a rematch.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GOOD BYE!!!

that was a way too good match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

along as NJPW holds the NWA belts, we're guaranteed more Bruce Tharpe

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nogami was so happy!

also drunk as hell.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sakuraba might die.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Static Rook posted:

YTR and the Gracie killer is a weird tag team.

they both HATE the gracies

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

YTR steamrolling Naito is hilarious.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

According to Bruce Tharpe, TENZAN broke Tharpe's nose.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

help I can't work the site to get to the live feed for tonight. post link plz

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tonfa posted:

Cody is so loving lost in the ring, jesus

Hangover Naito is still a highlight though

"C'MON GOKU" crowd of the year

They have Cody tagging with Yujiro. Iron sharpens iron, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I keep hoping NJPW fleshes out their already extensive back catalog some more. I need more Inoki matches. I need that one dome show complete where Tiger Mask jumps off the loving dome to open the show. Chyna's NJPW run, too.

• Locked thread