Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
That interview was loving amazing. The Raw itself mostly sucked, but it had some great stuff in particular: Dean Ambrose, Erick Rowan, Bray Wyatt, and Damien Mizdow. AJ Lee winning by submission was also a pleasant surprise given the CM Punk stuff.

I don't think Vince is a good human being, but I would be lying if I said I didn't empathize with him during that interview. He's obviously extremely out of touch, but I'm glad it seems like he recognizes that all 3 members of The Shield are something special. His burying of Cesaro because "he's Swiss" is hilarious though because it basically cemented a running joke as fact.

Trip Larsen fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

Read that Stephen King book and learn about the thing Vince thinks you are missing.

So Cesaro can't tell the future just by touching someone? Man, what a dick move depushing someone over that, not everybody gets wicked psychic powers from the carnival.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

paint dry posted:

It won't. You think your average WWE fan is going to watch some Japanese nonsense? You think kids are even going to know what it is? No.

Not gonna lie, if you showed me a picture of Jushin Liger when I was 7 I'd watch the poo poo out of anything he was in. At that point I was aware that Japan was the place where the cartoons and video games came from so if you just told me that this is wrestling from Japan, I'd watch it

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I think Seth was something special as a house of fire hot tag babyface but this 'heir apparently to Triple H' thing he has going on right now is absolutely insufferable.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Spermgod posted:

I think Seth was something special as a house of fire hot tag babyface but this 'heir apparently to Triple H' thing he has going on right now is absolutely insufferable.

He is the most over heel in the company

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

I have to imagine New Japan would be glad to have him and he'd probably be pushed towards the top of the card pretty quickly. Obviously I don't have a clue how much he's making but if the stuff Alberto said about how much talent are getting stiffed on pay is true I wouldn't be surprised if he could make more, perhaps significantly more, per date for NJPW, though less dates. I also don't know if he still resides in Switzerland on his off time but if he does the 3 weeks on/3 weeks off system in Japan would allow him much more time there. Yes this is me wishful thinking.

Alberto is not exactly an honest man.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Smoking Crow posted:

He is the most over heel in the company

Rusev

edit: jesus christ i said 'heir apparently'

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Spermgod posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a 2 year burial reign of doom by Seth Rollins tbh

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Read that Stephen King book and learn about the thing Vince thinks you are missing.

My face right when I got it.

It's because his car isn't possesed by a demon, isn't it?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Spermgod posted:

Rusev

edit: jesus christ i said 'heir apparently'

Uh, Russia are the good guys, he's the face and Swagger's the heel

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Seth's entrance music is awful, the most generic lovely heavy guitar theme in the company maybe.

Also Raw was real bad.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Carver Crisis posted:

That interview was loving amazing. The Raw itself mostly sucked, but it had some great stuff in particular: Dean Ambrose, Erick Rowan, Bray Wyatt, and Damien Mizdow. AJ Lee winning by submission was also a pleasant surprise given the CM Punk stuff.

I don't think Vince is a good human being, but I would be lying if I said I didn't empathize with him during that interview. He's obviously extremely out of touch, but I'm glad it seems like he recognizes that all 3 members of The Shield are something special. His burying of Cesaro because "he's Swiss" is hilarious though because it basically cemented a running joke as fact.

I think Vince enjoys schadenfreude and has a juvenile sense of humor, but he's not actively malicious.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Gonzo McFee posted:

I like my reference more because the dead zone is where Cesaros heat is.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Raw was really bad but The Big Guy remains unscathed.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Gonzo McFee posted:

So is everybody saying here that Cesaro needs a Doink gimmick?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

I like my reference more because the dead zone is where Cesaros heat is.

Vince has tried to bury Cesaro, but he did it in a Pet Cemetery and his push came back wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince has tried to bury Cesaro, but he did it in a Pet Cemetery and his push came back wrong.

Sometimes, staying on NXT is bettah.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Cesaro is charismatic and full of energy

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Vince's rant against millenials made me laugh for some reason. It just summed up everything about Vince in a tiny moment.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Seth's entrance music is awful, the most generic lovely heavy guitar theme in the company maybe.

Ambrose's sucks too. Opening riff is fine but it just replays itself every 15 seconds.

Funny thing is that the lower you are on the totem pole, the more effort they seem to put into your theme. Like every NXT Diva has their own unique theme often with lyrics. They threw together a theme for Slater Gator pretty quick. I think they've given Justin Gabriel a dozen themes by now. But Ambrose and Rollins have the most generic rock themes ever.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Everyone always thinks that Justin Gabriel has a new theme, but he's had the same one for at least a year or two and it's just that nobody can remember the last time they saw his entrance.

He's only had, like, two themes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The quality of your theme in 2014 WWE directly correlates to how interesting you are of a wrestler.

Great theme = boring as gently caress.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

MassRafTer posted:

"Randall Flagg" gimmick for Cesaro confirmed. :toot:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Aurain posted:

The quality of your theme in 2014 WWE directly correlates to how interesting you are of a wrestler.

Great theme = boring as gently caress.

Actually Erick Rowan is a very interesting supergenius.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Ambrose's sucks too. Opening riff is fine but it just replays itself every 15 seconds.
Ambrose's would be a really good theme if it didn't have exact same engine rev every time, making it seem like a 15 second clip on repeat. The riff itself changes and is good. And at least I can hum it.

Beyond "heavy guitar thing" I can't even remember what Rollins's sounds like. And I last heard it a few hours ago.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

St Evan Echoes posted:

Ambrose's would be a really good theme if it didn't have exact same engine rev every time, making it seem like a 15 second clip on repeat. The riff itself changes and is good. And at least I can hum it.

Beyond "heavy guitar thing" I can't even remember what Rollins's sounds like. And I last heard it a few hours ago.

I keep thinking that it's Edge when it comes up so I get disappointed every show

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I hope Seth Rollins stops being a heel soon.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Seth is being built perfectly. How long has it been since there was a bonafide main event face that was over without being over as a main event level heel first?

Austin was over as a heel first
Shawn was over as a heel first
Bret heel
Trips heel
The Rock heel
Taker heel
Lesnar heel
Angle heel
Foley heel
Punk heel
Bryan heel
Orton heel
Edge heel

Cena even got over as a heel first. Sting maybe? Am I forgetting someone? Was Bret over as a face before being over as a heel? Rey Mysterio? It has been a long time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bret was always a face as a singles guy up until 1997

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MacDougall posted:

Seth is being built perfectly. How long has it been since there was a bonafide main event face that was over without being over as a main event level heel first?

Bret heel
Trips heel
The Rock heel
Taker heel
Lesnar heel
Angle heel
Foley heel
Punk heel
Bryan heel
Orton heel
Edge heel

Cena even got over as a heel first. Sting maybe? Am I forgetting someone? Was Bret over as a face before being over as a heel? Rey Mysterio? It has been a long time.

i think having used it the other day my yearly quota for using the phrase 'cargo cult logic' without being a huge dickhead is up but this is definitely it

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 2, 2014

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

St Evan Echoes posted:

Bret was always a face as a singles guy up until 1997

So it's been ages.

Spermgod posted:

i think having used it the other day my yearly quota for using the phrase 'cargo cult logic' without being a huge dickhead is up but this is definitely it

Not familiar with that term but based on skimming wikipedia I take it to mean that you are saying that just because something is the way it is doesn't mean that it's the right way?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
By that criteria I would say Goldberg, Mysterio and Jeff Hardy but I don't know what qualifies as bona fide to you. Punk's first reign came before his first heel turn. If being a heel in a tag team doesn't count you can throw in Booker T.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

MacDougall posted:

Taking out that "main event" bit would help your argument a lot. Bret was midcard at best tagging with Anvil. Heel Cena wasn't exactly main-eventing. Rey hasn't been heel enough for anyone to notice or care at any point (Filthy Animals do not count, shut tup).

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
fyi I just retried emailing questions to Colt/Punk and it seems to have gone through this time, so if any of you want to send anything now might be the time before it fucks up again

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MacDougall posted:

So it's been ages.

Not familiar with that term but based on skimming wikipedia I take it to mean that you are saying that just because something is the way it is doesn't mean that it's the right way?

more of a correlation doesn't equal causation thing

edit: specifically trying to replicate a thing (getting over as a face) by replicating incidental/irrelevant circumstances (getting over as a heel first) of past cases

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 2, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MacDougall posted:

Bret heel
Trips heel
The Rock heel
Taker heel
Lesnar heel
Angle heel
Foley heel
Punk heel
Bryan heel
Orton heel
Edge heel

In WWE Punk first got over as a face. He first main evented as one too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MacDougall posted:

So it's been ages.
Not necessarily, you could be wrong about the other guys. I just know you're wrong about Hart.

This is actually a good example of the cargo cult logic the other guy was talking about fyi

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

MassRafTer posted:

In WWE Punk first got over as a face. He first main evented as one too.

Yeah you're right in hindsight. You're talking about his cash-in for the WHC right? I suppose you could say that he was in a main event but he wasn't really THE main event was he?

Basically I've always got the impression that a guy has to get the crowd to turn behind him as a heel to truly get over. Or at the very least it makes for a bigger star. Obviously I'm not a wrestling historian so there are obviously situations where I'm wrong.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Dexters Secret posted:

I have a serious suggestion: we can't seem to stop watching this show so let's kill ourselves

i'm down

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

CubsWoo posted:

By that criteria I would say Goldberg, Mysterio and Jeff Hardy but I don't know what qualifies as bona fide to you. Punk's first reign came before his first heel turn. If being a heel in a tag team doesn't count you can throw in Booker T.

Goldberg and Jeff Hardy are good examples to the contrary of my point.

That being said, like I said to me at least I've always felt like a guy who is over as a heel and has the crowd organically shift or the booking very subtly start altering his character to move the crowd behind him is at least an easier way to create a top face. Than running someone as a main event face from the word go. It might be a sign of the times that a guy who has no dark edge can't really connect with the people so much? Once you see a character's dark side you can connect better with them when they are doing the babyface routine.

I'm happy to be wrong about it being typical or even common if I am. Discussion about wrestling is what we're here for after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm listening to it now.

- Millennials are lazy. Most of the people in the back don't want it enough. Last person to grab the brass ring was John Cena. People who are reaching for it, Shield and Bray.

See how lazy Punk and Bryan were/are? They weren't even trying to grab the brass ring!

• Locked thread