Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fat Lowtax posted:

The thing about this RAW was that it wasn't even memorably bad. Nothing ridiculous happened. It just reminded me of a late-stage Impact in that every single thing was completely inconsequential.

I imagine everything was pushed to the side in favour of preping Vince for the interview and making GBS threads on CM Punk during meetings. Plus Thanksgiving meant they couldn't get that crutial 7th rewrite of Raw where they put back in the original script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

It's crazy because if you're Cesaro, what do you do now? You know you'll never be able to get anywhere so do you just keep losing or go somewhere that's smaller but might appreciate you.

Go up to Vince and demand to be released from your contract because you know that if Vince isn't interested he's got other places he can go to make money. Vince should ether be impressed enough that he'll give you a small push you can try to capitalise on or you can go to New Japan.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Read that Stephen King book and learn about the thing Vince thinks you are missing.

My face right when I got it.

It's because his car isn't possesed by a demon, isn't it?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

I like my reference more because the dead zone is where Cesaros heat is.

Vince has tried to bury Cesaro, but he did it in a Pet Cemetery and his push came back wrong.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Why aren't these young guys impressing me and going out of their way to grab the brass ring in my tightly scripted, creatively stifling environment where experimentation and dissent are swiftly punished?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Moral in the locker room must be at rock bottom. The boss took an accusation that he only cares about John Cena to the detriment of the product and basically said "That's entirely true, gently caress my roster."

I don't know how anyone can hear Vince say that and not realise that the roster is screwed from the start.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

When is Colt's follow-up Art of Wrestling podcast? I need the internet to explode again.

Tomorrow.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jesus. Slater is like the last guy on the roster that I thought would be capable of something like that. I mean he just seems like such a child like idiot.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don't read the comments about this on reddit or the board fyi

That can be said for most anything.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Daniel Bryan posted:

Why did she wait for her company to press charges? Why did the company wait three years?

Cops are shits with sexual assault cases. And if this is to be believed:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Apparently they've been trying to get a warrant issued for 3 years but nobody would do it. The original report was he had some kind of alibi but if he did it in the middle of a room, uh

Then it's probably the cops who dragged their feet.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

3. It's hard for women to deal with the stigma of "oh she was probably asking for it / she is probably making this up".

I mean if the woman knows anything about the internet she would know that as soon as it comes out she will be harassed by 10000 Heath Slater fans.

Not saying you're wrong but... 10,000?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I just hit 1 then a few zeros I am sorry I did not mathematically work out the number of Heath Slater fans that would harass this woman.

Nah it's just that the Heath Slater fan club consists of his mum and their dog. His dad's no dead, he's just no caring.

Now getting attacked by the legions of wankers who all come out of the woodwork to support rapists, that's a genuine worry.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Cool, now substitute "wrestling" for "black people" and see how righteous that version sounds

Taking that username to heart a bit, ain't ya?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fat Lowtax posted:

I thought Hulk Hogan was black until I was like 13

So did certain cops.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Ted Turner called me up and said 'I'm in the Black people business', and I said 'Well that's good, I'm in the entertainment business'"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I thought he was gimmick posting as a guy from Reddit?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Valeyard posted:

Maybe he didn't do it

On video, apparently.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"My client hates black people" CM Punk's lawyer.

Who's side are you on now, Wrestlehutt?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

the crowd didn't even chant cm punk after what was the biggest story in wrestling in a while

To be fair that crowd didn't chant anything. It just sat on it's hands and gave the WWE a long, hard stare.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Heath Slater is an attempted raper. And I don't know how to accept that.

He doesn't really care.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

armoredgorilla posted:

Crabs in a pot.

Too true.

Vertical Lime posted:

Also Raw viewership:

8 pm: 4.23 million viewers
9 pm: 3.95 million viewers
10 pm: 3.47 million viewers

The football game wasn't even that good to begin with

Oof, the entire audience of Impact left during Raw.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
And there's a sequel coming that'll star Batista again, so I'd say Big Dave is set for working in film.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Sramaker posted:

So Smackdown is worse than Raw or not?

Smackdown is generally the better show but it's also the one nobody watches because there is no plot advancement that isn't immediately forgotten about come the next Raw.

It's like an uppity Superstars at this point.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Supposedly once it moves to Thursdays it'll advance plot again

They genuinely believe that a different audience watches Smackdown from the one that watches Raw so probably not.

Also everyone in the WWE that's making GBS threads on Punk should read this and take it to heart.

Big Dave Meltzer posted:

Some people will interpret this as WWE = bad, others as Punk is an egomaniac, some of his facts weren’t correct, and use that to absolve WWE of anything negative. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

But on the egomaniac thing, or Punk has too high an opinion of himself, this is a fact of life that people who say these things about main event talent don’t understand. They are all like that or they wouldn’t be main event talent. If you don’t have the confidence that you are the best, you wouldn’t be main event talent. It amuses me when people read books by top stars or listen to interviews and go, “This guy is full of himself.” If they are a top guy, either they are being honest with you and are, to a degree, full of themselves, or they are putting on fake performance. Privately, there isn’t one of them who doesn’t think they are the best, some are more subtle about it than others. And as time goes on, the ones who are comfortable with it, hold back on the fakeness a lot less. Punk was not the greatest natural athlete. He did not have a look that would have gotten him a push in another era. He had tons of great matches because he was in good enough shape to do so, worked hard enough to do so, and was smart enough to understand how to do so. His promo ability is top tier on the all-time list, which is something that is a combination of hard work, practice, and ego.

If you knock him for thinking he should have had a WrestleMania main event, just remember if he wasn’t thinking that way, he’d be just a guy in prelims who would have never gotten higher than those in charge pegged him to get at first. And if that person had complained, nobody would give a rats rear end what he said, true or not. Everyone has different goals. From the outside, the idea that someone believes they succeeded or failed as a pro wrestler based on whether they got a WrestleMania main event sounds like somebody with a major problem. While there is some realness to it, it’s also in other ways a fake honor chosen largely by one guy. It’s a guy who has a great track record historically at building his company, but also has greatly lessened the overall popularity of the industry at the same time, and whose track record at knowing what top talent is in this day and age and being ahead of the curve on it is spotty at best. The reality is this is a company that wanted to fire Punk years ago, that fired Daniel Bryan twice, and would have totally botched this year’s Mania had Punk not quit. They even came close to cutting Cena, whose charisma was obvious in his first week of training school to anyone with an eye for talent. And it was a company determined to put Orton vs. Batista as last year’s Mania main event. Worrying about their judgment to define how you look at your career is ridiculous.

oatgan posted:

have you seen a Robert De Niro movie lately?

Are you knocking the Fockers?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Listening to the second Punk podcast, it increasingly seems like WWE is run like a cult that tries really hard to get people to forget there's a world outside of the WWE. You don't get opportunities, they hand you gifts. They take anything that someone might achieve on their own and spin it into something they're giving you. They take away any personal responsibility. It's almost like an abusive relationship.

I wonder who it was that forwarded Punk the email chain about the game cover.

The way Punk tells it it's like Punk was on the cusp of becoming a mainstream celebrity (or at least all over the shop in the public eye) and WWE did everything in it's power to stop that happening. Like the WWE wants their wrestlers to become big but only if they're the guys who won't become too big for their britches.

Also highlights a problem with the WWE and big buisness in general that they'll stuff a bunch of legal sounding mumbo jumbo into their contracts with no actual basis in law and hope that they'll get away with it because nobody has the money to take them to task on it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wouldn't say the WWE is hosed. Far from it, they'll be making money for generations.

It's not getting any better though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
What is to sports entertain?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
CM Punk will prove, just as Brock Lesner did, that Pro Wrestling is the ultimate in martial arts. So long as he starts the fight with a forward flip heel kick he'll be fine.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Thauros posted:

Dave and Bryan are speculating that Dean Ambrose may be removed from the PPV and Reigns will take his place in the match. Again, this is speculation mind you, but apparently they're claiming that Ambrose's kayfabe injury is the rather severe crushed trachea and Reigns is ready so it would make sense.

That would be the quickest way to make fans turn on Reigns.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Too subtle? What I was saying was

ok nevermind

We got it, we just don't give edam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

i haven't seen it but dave has talked about seeing roman reigns at press events and he's really quick and clever which just doesn't come across on tv at all with his lame overly scripted promos

The majority of the roster is really charismatic when they're doing their own stuff. Cesaro is very quick witted and suave when unscripted. But they can only read what's written, and what's written is crap.

Steve Austin wouldn't get as over as he did today through no fault of his own.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 8, 2014

• Locked thread