Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

EvanTH posted:

edit: also tanking netted the 76ers ROTY last year, and it looks like it's gonna get the Bucks the ROTY this year. Who's everyone's favorites right now?
I got it like--
1 Parker
2 Noel or maybe Mirotic

KJ McDaniels for ROTY

He'll definitely lead rookies in Dunk of the Nights (http://www.nba.com/video/channels/top_plays/2014/11/29/20141129-dotn.nba/) and Block of the Nights (http://www.nba.com/video/channels/top_plays/2014/11/29/20141129-dotn.nba/). Twice in the past week for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
David West is a good tweeter to follow.

He generally talks about Pacer stuff, his AAU team, and social issues. Actually worthwhile to follow in a non-comedy type of way.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I feel like no one remembers that Philly had no where to go except down. After the Bynum gamble went bad, their core consisted of Jrue, Evan Turner, Thad, Hawes, Lavoy Allen and Nick Young. Of those players, only Jrue was worth locking up long term, which Philly did and then made a really good trade and got 2 first round picks. Every move by their GM since the Bynum trade has been the right move.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

The Astros tanked at least as badly as the Sixers and no one cares.

A ton of people consider the Astros to be one of the worst run organizations in the league, literally no one watched them on television last year, and they are so poorly run that they failed to sign the number one overall pick of this last draft.

My point is that the Astros are so bad that no one cares, but a ton of people think that they are doing is bad.

e: I also think the Astros will have a winning season before the sixers.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 3, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
There'd be no point to tanking if they got rid of the draft. Turn it into an auction, everybody can bid up to the young-guy max if they have the available cap space. Tie goes to the team with the worst record. It'd be at least as fun to watch as the draft. It'd probably cut down on the time it takes to rebuild, too -- manage your cap well and you can get like 3 future stars in a year or two, then just let them grow up.

The players' association wouldn't like it because it's giving money to people who aren't in the union yet and the owners wouldn't like it because they're dumb and would spend their money badly.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jack's Flow posted:

The Golden State Warriors are 15 and 2. We're not in Kansas anymore, and I love it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings lose but dunk on fools so I'm cool with that
http://gfycat.com/DizzyBadGrassspider

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

A ton of people consider the Astros to be one of the worst run organizations in the league, literally no one watched them on television last year, and they are so poorly run that they failed to sign the number one overall pick of this last draft.

My point is that the Astros are so bad that no one cares, but a ton of people think that they are doing is bad.

e: I also think the Astros will have a winning season before the sixers.

A ton of people also consider what the Astros are doing to be the right thing, almost nobody who's actually in baseball thinks they're poorly run, and they "failed" to sign the first pick because his elbow was hosed and he still wanted first slot money.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
there are like three people on the current sixers roster who might have a future with the team or indeed any NBA team. They're not playing young guys to get them prepared for the future, they are blatantly trying to lose on purpose.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I feel like no one remembers that Philly had no where to go except down. After the Bynum gamble went bad, their core consisted of Jrue, Evan Turner, Thad, Hawes, Lavoy Allen and Nick Young. Of those players, only Jrue was worth locking up long term, which Philly did and then made a really good trade and got 2 first round picks. Every move by their GM since the Bynum trade has been the right move.

This is a very good post.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Why are you guys so concerned about the worst team in the league when you're missing probably the most talented and spectacular NBA we've ever seen.

You can even say that Philly being as bad as they are has artificially made the league 29 teams and talent is now more concentrated!

Really though. Look at the Warriors, Grizzlies (even if they're considered boring), (healthy) Bulls, and eventually the Cavs. These teams are all amazingly talented and that's just the tip of the iceberg!

This is the best product the NBA has put on the floor.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

MourningView posted:

there are like three people on the current sixers roster who might have a future with the team or indeed any NBA team. They're not playing young guys to get them prepared for the future, they are blatantly trying to lose on purpose.

They have 6 rookies, 4 2nd year guys and 3 3rd year guys. What exactly does "playing young guys" look like to you?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

They have 6 rookies, 4 2nd year guys and 3 3rd year guys. What exactly does "playing young guys" look like to you?

they are playing them because they are bad and it's the easiest/cheapest way to lose not because they seriously think any of those dudes have a future with the team.

I mean I don't really care but it's really silly to pretend that they're doing anything except trying to lose as many games as possible.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The Sixers aren't making bad basketball decisions purely out of profit motive, nor have they ruined a teenager's life just to save a few bucks, so I think they're comfortably ahead of the Astros.

That said, I think they have made a few roster moves that cross the border between "prioritizing future assets over current wins" and "intentionally giving up value in order to lose more" and that's against the spirit of the game in my very important opinion.

But the answer for tanking isn't to punish teams that are legitimately bad, it's to make it clear that an owner who endorses trying to lose is not welcome in the league.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Start a league with a bunch of new teams, a NBA-2 if you will, there's enough billionaires going around that would probably take a gamble into starting a new franchise from scratch even in a secondary market for the opportunity to make it into the NBA proper later on. The champion of that league gets to move into the main NBA while the worse team in the NBA that year gets dumped into the secondary league. The new NBA team gets the demoted team's first round pick, an automatic first. All the second round draft picks belong to the NBA-2 league. Trades between NBA and NBA-2 teams function the same way as trades between normal NBA teams and NBA teams can't raid and pillage the bottom tiers rosters for their developing good players whenever they feel like, but NBA-2 teams have lower salary caps. Unlike D-League matches, there's a developing interest on the NBA-2 teams because there's a chance your local reborn Buffalo Braves or whatever might make it back into the big leagues next season. Franchises that move their team automatically drop to the NBA-2 to really start anew and that year the worse NBA team gets a pass and doesn't drop to the NBA-2. Your historic Lakers/Celtics/Knicks dropped to the NBA-2? Well, they shouldn't have been mismanaged and sucked this much, get your poo poo together to get back into the league.

This will never, ever happen, but whatever, I'm just tossing some ideas around.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

they are playing them because they are bad and it's the easiest/cheapest way to lose not because they seriously think any of those dudes have a future with the team.

I mean I don't really care but it's really silly to pretend that they're doing anything except trying to lose as many games as possible.

I'd say one way to address this type of tanking is to increase subsidies to teams for offering veterans deals to experienced NBA players but that would result in Philly signing Keith Van Horn.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, in two years Philadelphia might be a 20-25 win team!!!

If the Sixers want to start surrounding their current crop with actual NBA players they have money and assets and could start next year if they feel like their core is ready.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Having a poo butt rear end team at a low cost probably demoralizes rookies, most of whom are used to winning a lot and dominating their opponents. I also feel like it fosters a mentality of "do it yourself because Cartier Martin sure as gently caress can't" which discourages selfless play and might hurt the team in the long run.

Tanking really isn't a big deal though, most people don't have the attention span to watch 30 competitive teams for an entire season as it is and sometimes you can try to field a competitive roster like the Bucks last year and be just as unwatchable

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Noel is a rookie who looks pretty good and should be playing
KJ McDaniels actually looks decent too and needs time
MCW is worth playing to see what he develops into

Alexey Shved is actually playing decent ball now that he is out of the wing-hell that was/is Minnesota. He's a gunner with handles who is getting to the line, which is a solid bench guy.

Henry Sims looks like he'll be a rotation-big.

Wroten and Mbah A Moute are in theory NBA Rotation guys, even if they probably have no future with the 76ers

Embiid should absolutely be considered an NBA player and should have a roster spot (even if he doesn't play this year)

So that's 5 guys who look like they have potential futures (as players of assets), 2 NBA rotation guys who'll probably leave but at least belong on an NBA court, and an injured ++ Prospect. Their roster won't win (many) games but I think the value they have is being underrated. Young guys don't win games.

Declan MacManus posted:

Having a poo butt rear end team at a low cost probably demoralizes rookies, most of whom are used to winning a lot and dominating their opponents. I also feel like it fosters a mentality of "do it yourself because Cartier Martin sure as gently caress can't" which discourages selfless play and might hurt the team in the long run.

Tanking really isn't a big deal though, most people don't have the attention span to watch 30 competitive teams for an entire season as it is and sometimes you can try to field a competitive roster like the Bucks last year and be just as unwatchable

This is definitely defendable and probably a good point. I think there is a balance between plummeting to gain assets and creating a losing culture, but I also don't blame the 76ers for trying to weather the risk.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

MourningView posted:

Philly could've saved a lot of money by signing end of bench players for the vet min. It's actually more expensive to draft players.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

If the Sixers want to start surrounding their current crop with actual NBA players they have money and assets and could start next year if they feel like their core is ready.

The key issues with this is that time at which their core will be ready is a complete unknown, and the quality of player that the Sixers will be able to sign is another complete unknown. Good NBA rotation players are not going to want to play for a bad franchise, so they will have to overpay middling players to convince them to go to Philadelphia. Talent is already stretched thin in this league and good talent is not going to want to go to a bad team.

This strategy is only going to pay off if, and only if, they hit the lottery after winning the lottery and get a super-star quality player in the draft. But everyone knows MCW is going to be a ok-good player at best, and Noel doesn't look like he can be that guy (though obviously the jury is still out on him).

The Sixers are going to have to repeat what the thunder did in order to become good, which is hit home runs on 3 draft picks. That takes time a considerable amount of time. In the meantime, the quality of product they are putting on the court is bad for the NBA, and for the team itself, so they don't have forever to get this done.

Though it should be known that I dont think they have much of a choice. This is a clear example that there is not enough talent in the league to make 30 teams acceptable, let alone competitive. It's sad that a franchises options for long stretches of time are either "overpay players and win 35 games" or "Be terrible and pray for draft picks".

Lockback posted:

KJ McDaniels actually looks decent too and needs time

KJ McDaniels refused to sign anything other than a one year deal, and given how well he has been playing will be playing for a competitive team next year.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 3, 2014

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

KJ McDaniels refused to sign anything other than a one year deal, and given how well he has been playing will be playing for a competitive team next year.

I didn't realize that. I still think you play him and make the case in the off-season either way.

Philly could've saved a lot of money by signing end of bench players for the vet min. It's actually more expensive to draft players.

They're not hitting the salary floor anyway, so it doesn't matter. They are cutting checks at the end of the year unless they take on a salary dump.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

The Kings were poo poo for so long that it tainted some of the talent and young assets they picked up. Granted, some of that talent was probably never as good as Kings fans thought (rip Donte Greene), but at some point continually being on a terrible team that you know the organization isn't trying to make better can be demoralizing. Especially since you're surrounding the few decent pieces you have with absolute poo poo that can't or won't help them with their development.

Look at Jason Thompson. He's pretty much a shellshocked, stunted wreck right now.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
KJ McDaniels is cool and can probably only succeed on a team committed to running all the time. Since he's essentially a hustle pf in a small forward's body.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

The key issues with this is that time at which their core will be ready is a complete unknown, and the quality of player that the Sixers will be able to sign is another complete unknown. Good NBA rotation players are not going to want to play for a bad franchise, so they will have to overpay middling players to convince them to go to Philadelphia. Talent is already stretched thin in this league and good talent is not going to want to go to a bad team.

Lots of NBA players are willing to go to a worse team if it means they get a bigger role.

quote:

The Sixers are going to have to repeat what the thunder did in order to become good, which is hit home runs on 3 draft picks.

Philly is a bigger FA destination than OKC, so that will help.

quote:

Though it should be known that I dont think they have much of a choice. This is a clear example that there is not enough talent in the league to make 30 teams acceptable, let alone competitive. It's sad that a franchises options for long stretches of time are either "overpay players and win 35 games" or "Be terrible and pray for draft picks".

I think it's a better example of how bad front office decisions can snow ball into a train wreck. The 76ers have been a mess for years. You might as well be pointing to NY and Brooklyn and using them as an example of how bad players are overpaid in the NBA. It's not a talent problem, it's a management problem.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
According to basketball-reference, nobody has made a shot from beyond half-court this year. This is an outrage.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
everyone wants to live in warm and scenic philadelphia it's true

who could forget all the major free agents they've signed recently like

huh

hmmm

uhhhh

NICK YOUNG

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Anyone who plays b-ball in philadelphia inevitably ends up in los angeles. will smith wrote a song about it

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Y'all are talking about the Sixers like it's a failure team when here's the real deal:
--Title in '83 and conference title in '01 make them one of the more broadly successful teams in recent NBA history
--They're a growing young team and their chances for an O'Brien trophy after five or six more years of development are very high
--Will & Jada Pinkett Smith are part of the ownership group and you will hear lots of Will Smith songs when they start winning

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

huh

hmmm

uhhhh

NICK YOUNG

Broken Elton Brand

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

huh

hmmm

uhhhh

NICK YOUNG

You don't even have to give that the caveat of 'recently.' They got Dr J through a trade. Their biggest free agent signing ever was George McGinnis. (According to a bleacher report slideshow)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
also this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I hate the Warriors now

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

MourningView posted:

huh

hmmm

uhhhh

NICK YOUNG

The LA and NY teams can't sign every free agent. I think Philly is comfortably in the "not big enough to be a draw, not small enough to be a deterrent" class of cities with the likes of Washington, Houston, Phoenix, and other similar places. If Noel and Embiid look good when they eventually get to play together and can drag the rest of the lovely roster to .500 I think they'll be just fine, but that's a pretty big if.

houstonguy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 3, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Worst-case scenario they overpay. Elton Brand was a pretty big coup at the time, especially since he abandoned Baron Davis to death via Clippers by signing there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sheriff posted:

The LA and NY teams can't sign every free agent. I think Philly is comfortably in the "not big enough to be a draw, not small enough to be a deterrent" class of cities with the likes of Washington, Houston, Phoenix, and other similar places. If their Noel and Embiid look good when they eventually get to play together and they can drag the rest of the lovely roster to .500 I think they'll be just fine, but that's a pretty big if.

NY and LA haven't signed big free agents either. Since the CBA the biggest FA moves have been from Miami to Cleveland and from LA to Houston, both market downgrades. Players don't care about markets as much right now, they are more concerned with playing in the right fit with the right teammates.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Looking at the Knicks in the standings right now... uhhh are they trying to tank this year? How have they regressed even further from their putrid selves last year?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

Worst-case scenario they overpay. Elton Brand was a pretty big coup at the time, especially since he abandoned Baron Davis to death via Clippers by signing there.

To be fair Baron Davis would probably have been unmotivated if he left a team he liked to play with his friend who up and left him, the fact that he left Pretty Cool Oakland for the Sterling regime just compounded it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WYA posted:

Looking at the Knicks in the standings right now... uhhh are they trying to tank this year? How have they regressed even further from their putrid selves last year?

Sort of, they have a draft pick this year and no cap space, so they just had to let it ride with Amare and injured Bargnani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

They were a bad defensive team that lost their best defensive player. They may also be the slowest team in the NBA (in terms of individual speed, not pace of offense)

• Locked thread