Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reds traded Chris Heisey to the Dodgers for Matt Magill

Twins signed Torii Hunter to a 1 year deal for $10.5 mil

Twins love affair with over the hill right fielders continues. They should be spending all their money on pitchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

$10M for Torii isn't that bad, but it'd make more sense for a contending team. Not sure why the Twins do this except for sentimental reasons or something

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Abel Wingnut posted:

How is Torii worth even $5MM per year?

He's been an above average to very good hitter for a lot of years in a row.

Also it's super safe to sign a name-recognition player that will hit 15-20 dingers.

ALSO also it's triple super safe because a familiar face from that time the Twins were good is back.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

The Pussy Boss posted:

$10M for Torii isn't that bad, but it'd make more sense for a contending team. Not sure why the Twins do this except for sentimental reasons or something

Same reason the mariners signed griffey the second time. People will come to see their childhood hero

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Same reason the mariners signed griffey the second time. People will come to see their childhood hero

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
A solid gold statue of Torii in right field would be cheaper and have a higher UZR.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Actually, it's one of those one day contracts so that he can retire a Twin, but somehow they signed the contract for 5 million dollars.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

will Torii also nap through a pinch hit appearance?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Badfinger posted:

He's been an above average to very good hitter for a lot of years in a row.

Also it's super safe to sign a name-recognition player that will hit 15-20 dingers.

ALSO also it's triple super safe because a familiar face from that time the Twins were good is back.

Yeah, like I agree it's an overpay but for a team that's not going anywhere next season and a bit of money to throw around this is a fine deal imo

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I retract any criticism.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Abner Assington posted:

Reminds me of this great ad campaign:

Amusingly, don't all six basketball, baseball, and football teams in New York kind of suck now?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Drunk Tomato posted:

I smell a retirement in the near future.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

will_colorado posted:

the Rockies are trying to move Rosario. Who wants a terrible defensive catcher/DH???

the mariners

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, as much as I hate Torii Hunter as a person, this signing is not awful if they're planning to make him the DH all season. Even with his abysmal walk rate, he still had a decent number of extra-base hits, and he's been worth at least 2 BBRef's oWAR for 14 seasons in a row. (Though I assume the positional adjustment of his being a DH that entire time would make that untrue.)

It gets into awful territory if they intend on using him at OF literally ever, though. Like, even if you don't trust dWAR, where he's cumulatively a net zero over the last ten years, and worth -4 wins during the last two, I would hope that anybody can figure out that using a 39-40-year-old for defensive purposes is a terrible idea.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Torri Hunter is so old that that kid is Kenny Lofton.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Torri Hunter is so old that that kid is Kenny Lofton.
Somehow, Torii Hunter's HR-robbing catch against Barry Bonds in the All Star Game occurred nearly twelve and a half years ago.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Amusingly, don't all six basketball, baseball, and football teams in New York kind of suck now?
Depending on what they do about getting a shortstop, there's a fair chance the Mets will be the best of the bunch next year!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Noted piece of poo poo, Everth Cabrera was non tendered, so go play for the Yankees please.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rangers non-tendered Alexi Ogando

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

MassaShowtime posted:

Noted piece of poo poo, Everth Cabrera was non tendered, so go play for the Yankees please.

I don't remember what he did, except for the Biogenesis thing, which I don't think is enough by itself to make him a piece of poo poo? Are you thinking of Yunel Escobar?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

MassaShowtime posted:

All-Star in 2013 and kicked to the curb a year later, drat. Pretty surprising even after the suspension and DUI. Gotta think someone signs him as a backup at least. Maybe somewhere without an established shortstop where he could compete for the job?

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

uublog posted:

I don't remember what he did, except for the Biogenesis thing, which I don't think is enough by itself to make him a piece of poo poo? Are you thinking of Yunel Escobar?

I believe he has had history of domestic violence issues and DUIs

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

uublog posted:

Honestly, as much as I hate Torii Hunter as a person, this signing is not awful if they're planning to make him the DH all season.

They have Kennys Vargas (or Mauer) as a DH, this is to play him in the outfield. It is absolutely for sentimental reasons, and if he's having a decent season he's getting traded to a contender at the deadline/waiver period. That latter bit is why it shouldn't be a surprise that he wanted to "come home."

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Crimson Sox posted:

Additionally, he OPSed .572 or something absurdly low last year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

uublog posted:

As noted, domestic violence and duis.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Domestic violence and DUIs?

He truly is a Cabrera.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

:effort:

The only guy the Rockies non-tendered was some dude named Kraig Sitton.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Crimson Sox posted:

poo poo I forgot about those. They're so disgustingly common now that I barely even notice when another idiot does these types of things

e:

Rand alPaul posted:

Domestic violence and DUIs?

He truly is a Cabrera.

This is a plus post :golfclap:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

uublog posted:

poo poo I forgot about those. They're so disgustingly common now
Now? You just hear about them more now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My favorite Torii Hunter moment:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

I think this billboard may predate the Nets moving to Brooklyn.

But yeah, as far as I know the Rangers are garbage too (this year, at least.)

:negative:

Pat Clements posted:

Depending on what they do about getting a shortstop, there's a fair chance the Mets will be the best of the bunch next year!

I want to be all yankeesfan.gif about this but it's looking like you may be right. Although the Yankees have somehow managed to play into mid-September two years in a row for no good reason so who the gently caress knows.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

The best New York team is the Islanders :lol:

Also, the Pirates non-tendered Gaby Sanchez, so it's pretty unclear who is going to comprise the small half of their 1B platoon next year.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Mornacale posted:

Also, the Pirates non-tendered Gaby Sanchez, so it's pretty unclear who is going to comprise the small half of their 1B platoon next year.

Some fuckin Sean Rodriguez disrespectin going on over here and I will not have that poo poo

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Minarch posted:

A solid gold statue of Torii in right field would be cheaper and have a higher UZR.

They could have bought approximately 2.43 Golden Torii Hunter Statues, going by weight, for the same price.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm not too thrilled about having to watch the fetid corpse of Torii Hunter try to play OF next year, but the fact that he's kind of a racist homophobic shitbag makes it all that much worse.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Infidel Castro posted:

I'm not too thrilled about having to watch the fetid corpse of Torii Hunter try to play OF next year, but the fact that he's kind of a racist homophobic shitbag makes it all that much worse.

The Delmon Effect

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
U ded dogg

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I'll believe the Mets are good when I see it.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
I will not criticize a GM coming off a WS. I will not criticize a GM coming off a WS.

Luke Hochevar re-upped with the royals. 2 years, 10 million. How swell. How grand.

I will not criticize a GM coming off a WS. I will not criticize a GM coming off a WS. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I don't have a problem with that deal. He should be a decent, if not solid long-man/reliever. Just don't let him start again.

• Locked thread