Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kundus
Oct 30, 2014

Harlock posted:

I don't have a problem with that deal. He should be a decent, if not solid long-man/reliever. Just don't let him start again.

I thought it was a mistake to bring him back for $5MM last year, shoulda cut ties then. I'm not mad he didn't pitch at all, I think it worked out just fine!, even if he was decent for a bit of relief in 2013.

I can maybe be a bit on board if this means Holland gets dealt. Maybe. The second year though, coming of TJ, has me concerned. I'm also tired of Luke's face tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm still kind of baffled by this deal the Yankees made with Rogers. They're giving him the minimum salary possible according to the CBA with only half of that guaranteed.

If Rogers was willing to take that it means he had no faith in his own abilities, and if the Yankees lowballed that much it seems like they might as well just have non-tendered him.

Whatever, a cheap arm is a cheap arm I guess, even if he sucks.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 3, 2014

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays non tendered Dirks and Mayberry so they now have three ofers total. Comeback Melky!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

MassaShowtime posted:

The Jays non tendered Dirks and Mayberry so they now have three ofers total. Comeback Melky!

Who's gonna sign Dirks is immediately the biggest story of the offseason.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

MassaShowtime posted:

They also non-tendered Smoak. Do they have any other 1B/DH option, outside of EE? Navarro?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

They also non-tendered Smoak. Do they have any other 1B/DH option, outside of EE? Navarro?

Maybe they'll pursue Mike Morse?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I guess the Jays feel reasonably sure about adding another OF . Kinda surprised that Smoak didnt get an offer. Thought they were gonna see if he could turn it around in Rogers Center, and they dont really seem to have anyone else to slot in there except I guess Navarro who could be traded soon as well. How was Smoaks defense at first?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Yeah pretty surprised by smoak being on that list I thought that was a flier we were taking. Gotta think morse or morales have a deal on the table here. And one of melky/Colby/even de aza or something.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm hoping it's Melky or Fowler personally.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

MassaShowtime posted:

I'm hoping it's Melky or Fowler personally.

Hahah I knew I was forgetting someone so I threw De Aza in there. Fowler would probably be a solid fit here.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I wanted that Dirks/Mayberry platoon so bad.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I guess the Jays feel reasonably sure about adding another OF . Kinda surprised that Smoak didnt get an offer. Thought they were gonna see if he could turn it around in Rogers Center, and they dont really seem to have anyone else to slot in there except I guess Navarro who could be traded soon as well. How was Smoaks defense at first?

His scouting reports said he was above average on defense, but every advanced metric (UZR, DRS, TotalZone) showed he was pretty bad at defense at first. So yeah he's pretty bad at defense now.

I'm still surprised he got non-tendered. Someone will take a flier on the guy.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Everth Cabrera's stoned driving rear end is available for everyone to enjoy! He'll hit .220 and steal 25 bases for you. Enjoy!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
The Phillies did not even make an offer to Yasmany Tomas, according to his agent :laffo:

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Gotta wonder if there were massive red flags or if the Phillies and the Padres are just cheap fucks this offseason (I shouldn't lump you in with us, you usually spend and care about winning).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

First the rumor was that the scouts didn't like his defense or didn't think he was a good fit. Now the company line seems to be about money. That's something I can understand since they're allocating $150m for a roughly ~70 win team.

The team has such a dearth of talent so I get being upset by not even giving him an offer. I just don't see how much he helps in the short term. He would have to be followed by a bunch of other high priced moves, which doesn't seem like the right direction for a team that will need several major positions filled in the next couple of years. Even long term by the time you think the Phillies might be good again, he could opt out.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

thompson posted:

Gotta wonder if there were massive red flags or if the Phillies and the Padres are just cheap fucks this offseason (I shouldn't lump you in with us, you usually spend and care about winning).

Honestly, the Phillies haven't spent big on anyone important/valuable from outside the org (not extensions like Utley/Hamels/etc.) since... Cliff Lee, part 2, I guess? I mean Rube probably "cares about winning" in some sense of those words, he's just really bad at it

e:

Harlock posted:

First the rumor was that the scouts didn't like his defense or didn't think he was a good fit. Now the company line seems to be about money. That's something I can understand since they're allocating $150m for a roughly ~70 win team.

The team has such a dearth of talent so I get being upset by not even giving him an offer. I just don't see how much he helps in the short term. He would have to be followed by a bunch of other high priced moves, which doesn't seem like the right direction for a team that will need several major positions filled in the next couple of years. Even long term by the time you think the Phillies might be good again, he could opt out.

It's less about their not signing him and more about their stringing everyone along the entire time, and making us believe they were trying to right the ship when they had no intention of actually doing so. I mean, that's the status quo in the Rube era for sure, but man, this gets frustrating, and I only marginally care about the team anymore.

uublog fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 3, 2014

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
The Braves win the Jim Johnson sweepstakes with a 1 year MLB contract.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

lmao the Braves signed Jim Johnson and it's a major league contract. One of the worst relief pitchers in baseball this year

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

vegeta dentata posted:

The Braves win the Jim Johnson sweepstakes with a 1 year MLB contract.

Alternate view: 29 teams win the Jim Johnson sweepstakes when the Braves sign him to a one year contract.

Also Torii Hunter has a full NTC in his deal with the Twins according to Wolfson. I'm not shocked by this, if a contender wants him around the deadline and he wants to go for the ring he'll waive it, if he just wants to stay here it prevent the Twins from trading him somewhere he doesn't want to go that might miss the playoffs.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
What on earth happened to Jim Johnson last year?

edit: And why did they allow him to pitch 53 god drat innings.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What on earth happened to Jim Johnson last year?

edit: And why did they allow him to pitch 53 god drat innings.

Jim Johnson was pretty bad in 2013, too. And considering it was the A's spending $10m, no way in hell was he going to get cut very quickly.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Senf posted:

Jim Johnson was pretty bad in 2013, too. And considering it was the A's spending $10m, no way in hell was he going to get cut very quickly.

Under what cirumstances was he pretty bad in 2013? Honest question. He let more guys on base than the previous two years, but he seemed to get the job done and keep them from scoring a ton on him.

Also its only 1.6 million with 900k in incentives. That doesn't seem like a terrible risk to take (but also I have no idea what the braves are doing in general).

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 3, 2014

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Isn't Jim Johnson one or two years removed from a career year with the Orioles though? 101 Saves in 12 and 13 combined is pretty solid. It's worth a flyer as it looks like he just had a terrible year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

thompson posted:

Isn't Jim Johnson one or two years removed from a career year with the Orioles though? 101 Saves in 12 and 13 combined is pretty solid. It's worth a flyer as it looks like he just had a terrible year.

He only struck out ~6 batters per 9 over those two seasons. Even though he didn't walk a lot of guys, that just didn't seem like a safe bet.

I think part of the justification pro-A's writers took for defending the A's acquiring him is that giving Johnson saves in his last contract year suppressed the number of saves that younger cost-controlled relievers could get and would keep those relievers on a cheaper salary through the arbitration process.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

That elite closer ability is pretty fleeting. One year you have it, and the next you don't. One sign that you don't is when you get picked up by the Tigers, and that was last year, so

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Johnson has the peripherals of a racehorse, hope that helps.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Under what cirumstances was he pretty bad in 2013? Honest question. He let more guys on base than the previous two years, but he seemed to get the job done and keep them from scoring a ton on him.

Also its only 1.6 million with 900k in incentives. That doesn't seem like a terrible risk to take (but also I have no idea what the braves are doing in general).

His main problem in 2013 was that when he was good he looked just barely good enough and when he was bad, he was really bad and all over the place with his location. He also suddenly became extremely hittable, though Johnson has never really been an overpowering force on the mound and has pretty much always pitched to contact. And for some reason, the dude just completely lost his feel for the ball in 2014 and ended up getting hit really, really hard pretty much all the time.

Some of it probably boils down to lovely luck, too, because that's how baseball goes sometimes.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I wouldn't be against the Braves acquiring Johnson on principle, 1.6 million isn't a whole lot for a lottery ticket reliever, and the bullpen needed someone since they traded Walden. I'm just absolutely terrified that Fredi is going to keep putting him out in high leverage situations, long after it's obvious that Johnson's just not a good reliever.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I wouldn't be against the Braves acquiring Johnson on principle, 1.6 million isn't a whole lot for a lottery ticket reliever, and the bullpen needed someone since they traded Walden. I'm just absolutely terrified that Fredi is going to keep putting him out in high leverage situations, long after it's obvious that Johnson's just not a good reliever.

It's not that 1.6 million dollars is a lot for a lottery ticket reliever, it's that 20 dollars is a lot for Jim Johnson.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Man I wish I had the slightest interest in any sport other than baseball

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

TheFlyingLlama posted:

You seem to be implying that Fredi is a bad manager :colbert:

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

TheChaosPath posted:

Man I wish I had the slightest interest in any sport other than baseball

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dr. Tommy John posted:

It's not that 1.6 million dollars is a lot for a lottery ticket reliever, it's that 20 dollars is a lot for Jim Johnson.

Sure if you think he's gone forever and will never return. But he had 400 major league innings before 2014 that I would argue he was an average to above average pitcher.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I'm obviously being a bit obtuse with my 20 dollar statement and anyone who can throw a big league pitch usually gets a big league job, but Jim Johnson's successful seasons are at least a little bit of 'dancing between the raindrops.'

He had good years when he managed to keep his BABIP low and keep the ball on the ground a few standard deviations above normal. As he's aged, it looks like his 'dart like crazy, pitch to contact' skillset has degraded into a 'just pitch to contact' one and that's a bad place to be as a pitcher who's never really had very effective stuff.

He might have been trying to reinvent himself in 2013-14 since his K rate actually rose to near the league average for a starting pitcher but his walk rate, HR/FB and BABIP skyrocketed with it suggesting that he's not only been unlucky but that he's becoming more hittable, especially on his bread and butter pitch.

If a guy like Johnson loses the ability to limit hard contact, he's pretty much a batting practice pitcher. Doubly so if his GB% doesn't remain amongst the league leaders.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Dr. Tommy John posted:

If a guy like Johnson loses the ability to limit hard contact, he's pretty much a batting practice pitcher. Doubly so if his GB% doesn't remain amongst the league leaders.

I have all the faith in the world in Fredi Jesus González to know when to take a pitcher out of the game, or to know when to not use him in certain situations.

:clegg:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
In non-roster move news from the minor leagues, the Oklahoma City Redhawks are now the Oklahoma City Dodgers, complete with new logos and uniforms:

With that in mind, I'll just let this quote sit here and let you figure it out:

quote:

“We didn't just want to slap ‘Oklahoma City’ over an existing Dodgers logo and call it a day,” said Ross Yoshida, Los Angeles Dodgers Director of Graphic Design in a Dodgers press release. “We wanted to tailor the Dodger brand to something that people in Oklahoma City could take pride in, hence elements like the homage to Bricktown on the primary logo and the SkyDance Bridge patch on the home uniforms.”

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

In non-roster move news from the minor leagues, the Oklahoma City Redhawks are now the Oklahoma City Dodgers, complete with new logos and uniforms:

With that in mind, I'll just let this quote sit here and let you figure it out:

I like them. They're not the chihuahuas but who is?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
hahahahaahahahahahaha rob neyer hahahahaahahahahahah

https://twitter.com/robneyer/status/540225313670569984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I wanna watch Torii Hunter read that article.

• Locked thread