Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
They give us guns and drugs
Then wonder why in the gently caress we thugs
They wanna count the slugs
Then come around here and gently caress with us (Uh huh)
They give us guns and drugs
Then wonder why in the gently caress we thugs
They wanna count the slugs
Then come around here and gently caress with us ~ attributed to Warrior-Poet Ice Cube in his writings "Laugh Now, Cry Later" circa 2006 CE

Post, yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Prediction on his ultimate troll: President Obama outlaws the NFL and football at all levels, by executive order, in January of 2017.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I never got what Ice Cube meant about "A horse is a pig that doesn't fly straight"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm just gonna reply in this thread

Trabisnikof posted:

What about my privacy? If police have body cameras, someone might make a public records request and be able to see me not getting a ticket after I showed the cop my business card!

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20141127-washington-state-police-overwhelmed-by-public-requests-for-dash-and-bodycam-footage

quote:

In September, a local anonymous software developer, The Requester, began making public records requests to Washington state police departments, asking for copies of “any and all video” on file. The requests became a burden for most police departments and worrisome for police chiefs and the public at large who raised concerns of privacy. “We figured if the sergeant who’s in charge of our video program, if he spent an hour a day, five days a week, we would maybe be able to get this stuff viewed by 2017,” said Police Chief Alan Townsend of the city of Poulsbo. “But the reality is that’s just real-time viewing. That’s not the time it would take to redact the videos, to block the sound out that might be required and also black out faces and so forth.”

It's actually a great way to shut down body cam programs in some states!

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

So on a scale of "hosed" to "completely hosed", how hosed are we in the next debt ceiling fight, whenever it comes along? And when is it supposed to come along, anyway? I'd like to know if I'm going to spend Christmas in Mad Max world or not, thanks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Munkeymon posted:

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20141127-washington-state-police-overwhelmed-by-public-requests-for-dash-and-bodycam-footage

Wouldn't the police department be able to immediately deny this request on the grounds that the FOIA has an exception for police records and material that would violate privacy?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Deval Patrick, 2014 graduate of the Obama School of Trolling.

Also, the Atlantic is lousy with "what about Democrats and the white working class" handwringing today.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gen. Ripper posted:

So on a scale of "hosed" to "completely hosed", how hosed are we in the next debt ceiling fight, whenever it comes along? And when is it supposed to come along, anyway? I'd like to know if I'm going to spend Christmas in Mad Max world or not, thanks.

Get a pineapple, cover it in sulfuric acid (as lube), then shove it up your butt.

That hosed.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

The Rams posted:

Demoff said he expressed remorse about how the actions of the players were construed but did not apologize for the actions themselves.
I guess if you're going to make a non-apology, it should be for something you shouldn't apologize for.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It'll be an interesting 1.5 years of Congress running this country into the ground, then six months of them getting in cat fights with outgoing president Obama so they can be reelected to the majority in both houses in 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The debt limit doesn't expire until March 15, so there's some time on that. The current crisis is whether Boehner can get his conference to vote for a continuing resolution on the budget that will fund the government past December 11. The plan right now is to allow a vote on a separate bill by Ted Yoho that defunds Obama's immigration orders. The current Senate won't take up that bill, but it will let Republicans in the House feel like they did something instead of passing the budget extender without any objections.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

The debt limit doesn't expire until March 15, so there's some time on that. The current crisis is whether Boehner can get his conference to vote for a continuing resolution on the budget that will fund the government past December 11. The plan right now is to allow a vote on a separate bill by Ted Yoho that defunds Obama's immigration orders. The current Senate won't take up that bill, but it will let Republicans in the House feel like they did something instead of passing the budget extender without any objections.
Aren't all the immigration things self-funding (because congress defunded them a long time ago)? How can congress defund something which doesn't get it's funds from congress in the first place?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
My mistake. It doesn't defund, it nullifies.

quote:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ``Executive Amnesty Prevention Act of
2014''.

SEC. 2. RULE OF CONSTRUCTION.

(a) In General.--No provision of the United States Constitution,
the Immigration and Nationality Act, or other Federal law shall be
interpreted or applied to authorize the executive branch of the
Government to exempt, by Executive order, regulation, or any other
means, categories of persons unlawfully present in the United States
from removal under the immigration laws (as such term is defined in
section 101 of the Immigration and Nationality Act). Any action by the
executive branch with the purpose of circumventing the objectives of
this statute shall be null and void and without legal effect.
(b) Effective Date.--This Act shall have effect retroactively, and
shall apply to any such exemption made at any time.
<all>

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

quote:

Effective Date.--This Act shall have effect retroactively, and
shall apply to any such exemption made at any time.

Does this mean it's going to retroactively roll back similar actions taken by previous presidents? Huh.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I know everyones mind is on the budget scrap, but this article got my attention:Conservatives Call On Rick Perry To Halt Execution Of Scott Panetti

A whole bunch of Conservatives posted:

Each of us has been active at the national level of the conservative movement for many years, and no one could accuse us of being soft on crime. Among conservatives there is much debate about the effectiveness and the morality of the death penalty. Some crimes are so terrible, and committed with such clear malice, that some believe that execution seems the only appropriate and proportional response. But Scott Panetti’s is no such case. [...]

The authority to take a man’s life is the most draconian penalty that we allow our government to exercise. As conservatives, we must be on guard that such an extraordinary government sanction not be used against a person who is mentally incapable of rational thought. It would be immoral for the government to take this man’s life. Should the Board recommend it, we respectfully urge you to reduce Mr. Panetti’s death sentence to life in prison.

It seems that some conservatives feel the wind is shifting against the death penalty, what with many recent executions being completely botched and the drugs for execution disappearing thanks to companies refusing to sell them to the US.

What are the chances Rick Perry actually stops the execution? Of course, this is in Texas where prosecutors think that a man who buried his furniture in his front yard to purge Satan from it and has been in and out of 12 mental hospitals is faking. I really don't expect this dumb motherfucker to do anything but put on his smart people glasses and give a statement about how he makes the tough choices. Or not even say anything. Hell, he already knowingly executed a man who was innocent, so what is one guilty schizophrenic? gently caress, Rick Perry is literal human trash.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lol, can they actually do that even? I'm pretty sure that there's something in the constitution about ex post facto laws.

e: though I guess immigration status is a civil thing, and the bit in the constitution has been held to only apply to criminal matters, so maybe they can.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 2, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

Lol, can they actually do that even? I'm pretty sure that there's something in the constitution about ex post facto laws.

Since it's clarifying the Congressional intent of an existing law, maybe. Anyway, that's only a problem if the EAPA ever becomes law, which it won't.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure the ex-post facto thing only applies to people. Like you can't be put in jail for selling a designer drug a week ago if it was made illegal today. Not sure how that applies to disputes between the branches of the federal government.

Also as suspicious as I am of anything Republicans do, I'm very happy about this move against the death penalty. It's absolutely a calculated political tactic, because there's no way all the conservative politicians involved in it actually care about this guy. Ken Cuccinelli is a straight-up psychopath and even he's telling Rick Perry it's wrong. If the GOP does anything remotely liberal the Democrats are going to have to copy it, so maybe we'll see an end to the awful practice in my lifetime.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

g0del posted:

Aren't all the immigration things self-funding (because congress defunded them a long time ago)? How can congress defund something which doesn't get it's funds from congress in the first place?

A lot of "self funding" programs are only self funding because Congress has specified that their budget is equal to the fees they take in and that those fees only go to that agency and not the general fund. There is normally nothing beyond it looking bad politically keeping Congress from recinding that arrangement and redirecting the fee income to whatever else. The agency I work for is "self funding" but in the Bush years a good chunk of our fee income was raided and redirected to Congressional pet projects.

This is the reason why even self funding agencies shut down when a budget isn't passed; the money is there but legally it must be appropriated to them to use it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
That's interesting because I've heard so many people on NPR and the like say that there was nothing congress could actually do to pull funds from self-funded agencies. So essentially there's nothing stopping congress from yanking the money from anything they don't like?

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Well no, unless what they're doing is unconstitutional, in which case the Supreme Court issues a judgment. That's the point of them both having the Power of the Purse and being the primary lawmakers in this country. Remember that originally they were meant to be the strongest branch and the executive had a much smaller role, and anything that happened was supposed to happen through a bill.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mineaiki posted:

Well no, unless what they're doing is unconstitutional, in which case the Supreme Court issues a judgment. That's the point of them both having the Power of the Purse and being the primary lawmakers in this country. Remember that originally they were meant to be the strongest branch and the executive had a much smaller role, and anything that happened was supposed to happen through a bill.

Harrison, McKinley, Taft, and Clinton were men of action.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mineaiki posted:

'Originally' the American government was either a pragmatic compromise between people who disagreed entirely on how it should be set up, or a utopian construction that only worked as intended in the fever dreams of the colonial aristocracy, depending on who you believe. The Supreme Court did not originally have constitutional authority, Congressmen weren't necessarily intended to be elected by general suffrage, the President was supposed to be a quasi-monarch, etc. It was never supposed to be a parliamentary system like you see today, that at least is certain.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan's electoral votes are safe for now. The committee adjourned without a vote.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So theoretically if we have an election where the popular vote goes to a candidate, the electoral votes WOULD have gone to that candidate under current conditions, but due to shady State level shenanigans they are able to get a narrow electoral win does anyone that matters actually care or does the System just chug along.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

So theoretically if we have an election where the popular vote goes to a candidate, the electoral votes WOULD have gone to that candidate under current conditions, but due to shady State level shenanigans they are able to get a narrow electoral win does anyone that matters actually care or does the System just chug along.

Uh were you alive in 2000? Or 1876?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radish posted:

Depends on which party wins. Republicans win via that method, democrats have much gnashing of teeth over it but do nothing about it while the republicans would flip their poo poo if the opposite happened.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 2, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Uh were you alive in 2000? Or 1876?

1960 is a closer parallel. Nixon was convinced until his death that Daley and Johnson fixed the polls.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

1960 is a closer parallel. Nixon was convinced until his death that Daley and Johnson fixed the polls.

Yeah but Kennedy didn't officially lose the popular vote like Bush did. And Johnson stuffed ballot boxes to win office at Texas State Teacher's College, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he fixed the thing.

There aren't any cases of electoral voters defecting are there?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

There aren't any cases of electoral voters defecting are there?

There have been nine, though half of those were pissed off Dixiecrats.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

One, I believe, was someone who got shitfaced and voted "John Ewards" for president and "John Edwards" for vice president.

Dems don't take losing well.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

My mistake. It doesn't defund, it nullifies.

won't have any effect; executive action doesn't make them exempt, it defers adjudication

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan's districts are gerrymandered so much that in a presidential election they want the majority of the popular vote in those districts to go to the presidential candidate. There would be no way for any one candidate to win all 16 EV's and Michigan becomes even more unimportant than it already is. It's a painfully stupid idea and today's hearing was mostly people telling this stupid committee in Lansing why they're dumber than a box of rocks if they actually vote on it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

won't have any effect; executive action doesn't make them exempt, it defers adjudication

the way to legislatively prevent Obama's action is to require that deportations happen on a first come first served basis

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Michigan's districts are gerrymandered so much that in a presidential election they want the majority of the popular vote in those districts to go to the presidential candidate. There would be no way for any one candidate to win all 16 EV's and Michigan becomes even more unimportant than it already is. It's a painfully stupid idea and today's hearing was mostly people telling this stupid committee in Lansing why they're dumber than a box of rocks if they actually vote on it.

The Virginia GOP was thinking about doing the same thing after the state went to Obama in 2012 but a combination of sensible people that came to that same revelation of state electoral irrelevance and a few actual non-shitlords that didn't think it was ethical stopped it from gaining any traction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

There have been nine, though half of those were pissed off Dixiecrats.

Huh, that's actually very interesting.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

haveblue posted:

Wouldn't the police department be able to immediately deny this request on the grounds that the FOIA has an exception for police records and material that would violate privacy?

Apparently the state law has no such exception :shrug:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Radish posted:

So theoretically ... does anyone that matters actually care or does the System just chug along.

No, inertia is a property of politics.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Well, they probably did. Daley at the very least, Johnson maybe or maybe not. He still wouldn't have won though, he would have needed to carry Illinois and Texas to win, and that was unlikely even without any tampering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025067415_spdpubdisclosurexml.html

He withdrew his request and is now helping them figure out how to be able to comply in the future.

• Locked thread