Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

g0del posted:

Aren't all the immigration things self-funding (because congress defunded them a long time ago)? How can congress defund something which doesn't get it's funds from congress in the first place?

The same way they want to "defund" Planned Parenthood and NPR.

With Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Raymn posted:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025067415_spdpubdisclosurexml.html

He withdrew his request and is now helping them figure out how to be able to comply in the future.

That's the one I was looking for and couldn't find, but he's already shown a way that you can shut down the program that anyone could copy apparently anonymously. The head of the local police union could go home tonight and DOS the body cam program to death without anyone knowing, for example.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
According to the NY Times, Boehner got promises in today's conference meeting from the conservatives that they'll go along with the plan to fund the government. There will be a vote on Yoho's Executive Amnesty Prevention Act on Thursday, followed by passage of 11 omnibus spending bills next week, all of which will fund the government through the end of September 2015, except for the one for DHS funding, which will instead expire in March.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Joementum posted:

According to the NY Times, Boehner got promises in today's conference meeting from the conservatives that they'll go along with the plan to fund the government. There will be a vote on Yoho's Executive Amnesty Prevention Act on Thursday, followed by passage of 11 omnibus spending bills next week, all of which will fund the government through the end of September 2015, except for the one for DHS funding, which will instead expire in March.

So they can basically hold their bullshit vote on Thursday, lose, and then refuse to pass the other 11 resolutions next week. Wonderball.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

anonumos posted:

So they can basically hold their bullshit vote on Thursday, lose, and then refuse to pass the other 11 resolutions next week. Wonderball.

Well, they promised Boehner today they wouldn't do that.

Oh, and it doesn't really matter because once Boehner brings clean funding bills to the floor they'll get plenty of Democratic votes.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Joementum posted:

Well, they promised Boehner today they wouldn't do that

Bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “We had a shutdown a year ago, and we just got the biggest majority we’ve ever had in the House since 1928, and one of the largest majorities we’ve ever had in the Senate. So I don’t understand their reasoning for taking anything off the table.” ~ Raul Labrador (R-ID)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “We had a shutdown a year ago, and we just got the biggest majority we’ve ever had in the House since 1928, and one of the largest majorities we’ve ever had in the Senate. So I don’t understand their reasoning for taking anything off the table.” ~ Raul Labrador (R-ID)

Well he obviously doesn't remember that the only time the GOP has been significantly behind the Democrats in the polls was the two weeks after the shutdown.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

He's kind of right. It didn't really hurt them because people are more scared of Ebola and ISIS, or something.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Badger of Basra posted:

He's kind of right. It didn't really hurt them because people are more scared of Ebola and ISIS, or something.

Also the average voter "has the attention span of a <insert funnily named small animal>."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

R+30

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

People didn't like it, they blamed the Republicans, and the GOP was hand wringing for a while. Then America instantly forgot they were mad at them and welp now here we are.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Well he obviously doesn't remember that the only time the GOP has been significantly behind the Democrats in the polls was the two weeks after the shutdown.

And it lasted for 2 weeks, which rather proves his point.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember some :hurr: Republican once asking me "I don't claim to know everything about this stuff, but doesn't this shutdown poo poo happen every two years"?

I think it was a talking point O'Reilly was peddling or something.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Man who ran on platform of "gently caress Obama and Pelosy."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

People didn't like it, they blamed the Republicans, and the GOP was hand wringing for a while. Then America instantly forgot they were mad at them and welp now here we are.

Why not do it again then?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tim Huelskamp is on board with the "defund Air Force One" plan. :getin:

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Why not do it again then?

I seem to remember the anger over the shutdown dissipating so quickly because the healthcare.gov problems (which caused a lot of genuine frustration) ramped up right as government funding was being restored. I wonder if the shutdown anger would have lasted longer if the Obamacare rollout had been smoother. Or if the Ebola outbreak had happened during the shutdown and the CDC wasn't able to properly respond. It seems to me that repeatedly shutting down the government would be like playing Russian Roulette.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Warszawa posted:

Also, the Atlantic is lousy with "what about Democrats and the white working class" handwringing today.

There's this gem of insight, How Police Unions and Arbitrators Keep Abusive Cops on the Street.

quote:

If police officers were at-will employees (as I've been at every job I've ever held), none of the cops mentioned above would now be walking the streets with badges and loaded guns.

Yes, police officers are exactly like journalists, it's so simple, why didn't we see it before. So now I guess Democrats so hop on board the "let's gently caress all unions everywhere into oblivion" bandwagon.

Dapper Dan posted:

What are the chances Rick Perry actually stops the execution? Of course, this is in Texas where prosecutors think that a man who buried his furniture in his front yard to purge Satan from it and has been in and out of 12 mental hospitals is faking. I really don't expect this dumb motherfucker to do anything but put on his smart people glasses and give a statement about how he makes the tough choices. Or not even say anything. Hell, he already knowingly executed a man who was innocent, so what is one guilty schizophrenic? gently caress, Rick Perry is literal human trash.

The Texas Parole Board has already denied the request for clemency and the Governor has no authority to review the request on his own, apparently. SCOTUS is his last chance.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

anonumos posted:

Also the average voter "has the attention span of a <insert funnily named small animal>."
I know this is meant as pithy scarasm, but god drat this isn't really true. It comes down to what's repeated ad nauseum in the media. The shutdown made the Republicans look bad, and the Democrats for some reason didn't want to bring it up in the midterms, so it's hard to really blame most people for forgetting about it compared to the other stuff that's being loudly shouted at them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, the House is expected to vote unanimously today to revoke Social Security benefits.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Joementum posted:

By the way, the House is expected to vote unanimously today to revoke Social Security benefits.

Is this really just an attempt for them to run against democrats for "voting to pay YOUR TAX DOLLARS! to NAZI's!"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

for Nazis.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Joementum posted:

lol good job Congress

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

for Nazis.

First they came for the Nazi's Social Security benefits....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Is there something in the text I'm missing or is that anything beyond stripping benefits for the maybe five or six literal former SS members that still live in the US?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
*edit le sigh... beaten like a ... I can't make a nazi joke in good faith...

Congress is a waste of good pure air and bodily fluids. <-- this still remains true

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 2, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BlueBlazer posted:

It costs more in tax dollars to vote a build the bill to do this than it does for the one f*in Nazi left is the SSI system.

Congress is a waste of good pure air and bodily fluids.

Uh how many tax dollars do you think a vote costs.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Joementum posted:

This needs to be the thread title

Please

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Is there something in the text I'm missing or is that anything beyond stripping benefits for the maybe five or six literal former SS members that still live in the US?

There was a big investigative report that uncovered it back in October, so Congress decided to act.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

There was a big investigative report that uncovered it back in October, so Congress decided to act.

AIPAC wins again :negative:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Yah you're missing the joke

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Tim Huelskamp is on board with the "defund Air Force One" plan. :getin:

ronpaulitshappening.gif

I really, seriously, unironically hope they do, because it will be hilarious.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Why haven't they poison-pilled the poo poo out of that Nazi bill?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Technically is this an ex post facto law?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chamale posted:

Technically is this an ex post facto law?

Even if it was who's going to sue on behalf of actual Nazis. Maybe if the ACLU's feeling particularly trollish.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Even Nazis deserve social services.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Impeach Fried Chicken!

He forgot the most important part of the OP, the DND mascot: Drunkle Sam

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

DemeaninDemon posted:

Man who ran on platform of "gently caress Obama and Pelosy."

USPol January: gently caress Obama Right In The Pelosi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

But he replaced a Democrat! (Who literally voted most often with Ron Paul)

• Locked thread