Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Walmart, not content to merely poo poo on one of the largest workforces in the world and have the entire country subsidize it's payroll, feels it needs to be a bit more direct about making GBS threads on people with the temerity to question it's gospel:

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/26/the_rights_black_friday_con_whos_really_behind_the_war_on_low_wage_protests/

Video is hilarious, pro-click.

You can't pro-click your own posts.

However, that video is pro click. It's the most absurd thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Got to love Jesuits. They're not afraid of anything. And by that, I mean staring death in the face, truth in the face, or their Lord in the face.
Pretty much this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
In case you thought Obama's body cameras for police imitative would accomplish anything (even if it got past the GOP) the grand jury just refused to indict the cop who choked Eric Garner to death on camera.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

In case you thought Obama's body cameras for police imitative would accomplish anything (even if it got past the GOP) the grand jury just refused to indict the cop who choked Eric Garner to death on camera.

Well ever since four cops beat a black man with clubs on camera and got off scot free stuff like this really doesn't surprise me.

What does surprise me is that cops don't literally just say "completely gently caress the rules" and just go down the street beating up black men with baseball bats daily in every city in America because apparently they can get away with it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly I would rather have the Grand Jury system removed before having cameras on cops.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Well ever since four cops beat a black man with clubs on camera and got off scot free stuff like this really doesn't surprise me.

What does surprise me is that cops don't literally just say "completely gently caress the rules" and just go down the street beating up black men with baseball bats daily in every city in America because apparently they can get away with it.

Its amazing how far we can have cops go and still get away with on camera.

Like literally shooting a prone handcuffed man on video gets you a year max and people, that's literally the best you can possibly hope for.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fried Chicken posted:

It's not for the grandy juries, its for the civil trials. and sometimes to get anyone to even talk about a possible trial.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2014/1203/Eric-Garner-grand-jury-probe-shows-similarities-to-Michael-Brown-case-video

Eric Garner grand jury probe shows similarities to Michael Brown case

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

duz posted:

It's not for the grandy juries, its for the civil trials. and sometimes to get anyone to even talk about a possible trial.

Ooops, camera broke!

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/apr/07/local/la-me-lapd-tamper-20140408

quote:

Los Angeles police officers tampered with voice recording equipment in dozens of patrol cars in an effort to avoid being monitored while on duty, according to records and interviews.

An inspection by Los Angeles Police Department investigators found about half of the estimated 80 cars in one South L.A. patrol division were missing antennas, which help capture what officers say in the field. The antennas in at least 10 more cars in nearby divisions had also been removed.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck and other top officials learned of the problem last summer but chose not to investigate which officers were responsible. Rather, the officials issued warnings against continued meddling and put checks in place to account for antennas at the start and end of each patrol shift.

Members of the Police Commission, which oversees the department, were not briefed about the problem until months later. In interviews with The Times, some commissioners said they were alarmed by the officers' attempts to conceal what occurred in the field, as well as the failure of department officials to come forward when the problem first came to light.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
CIA torture report's being released on Monday :munch:

Actually, it's not really :munch: because the CIA torturing people isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

"This video shows you quite literally choking a man to death."

cops: "No it doesn't"

"Good enough for us!"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

CIA torture report's being released on Monday :munch:

Actually, it's not really :munch: because the CIA torturing people isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

Also it's gonna be redacted to hell and back

Here's hoping Mark Udall submits it into the congressional record and walks out while flipping off the chair

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Yep, there's no way to make sure a crooked cop won't do something to make sure he isn't recorded with his knowledge.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

duz posted:

Yep, there's no way to make sure a crooked cop won't do something to make sure he isn't recorded with his knowledge.

Well what if we have another camera record the cop destroying his body camera? Then we'll have video evidence of a cop committing a crime, and he can be prosecu-

Well look, maybe white people will be more sympathetic to the destroyed camera than the murdered black person. I can honestly believe that much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-cruz-not-that-conservative

His plan is now tack to the center and pick up a rich backer

No, his plan is to drag the center to him so that all those drat RINOs can be outed as the filthy liberals that they are.:bahgawd:

Maybe when DeBlasio's son gets beaten to death by a member of the NYPD something of note will be done about the problem there but I doub tit.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If it turned out that Cruz was a leftist operative sent from Canada to destroy America I would die a happy man.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Major differences: NY always uses a grand jury for felonies and NY defendants have a statutory right to testify (including a right to give non-examined narrative testimony) in front of it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Can't believe that the Police Union was saying that the cop didn't use a chokehold. What video were they watching?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Can't believe that the Police Union was saying that the cop didn't use a chokehold. What video were they watching?

It's essentially the Dead Parrot sketch.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Cops will all now be issued fairies a la ocarina of time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe when DeBlasio's son gets beaten to death by a member of the NYPD something of note will be done about the problem there but I doub tit.

"Did Mayor DeBlasio's drive for power leave him spending too little time with his criminal son?"

or

"Why do kids of the rich and famous always go bad? Is it parenting? the environment? the values?"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anyways, it would be an understatement to say that I'm super sad and even surprised about this. Its a black eye for all of New York. loving Staten Island.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DrProsek posted:

Well what if we have another camera record the cop destroying his body camera? Then we'll have video evidence of a cop committing a crime, and he can be prosecu-

But then they'll build a bigger board. With an even bigger nail in it!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's hoping Mark Udall submits it into the congressional record and walks out while flipping off the chair
Seems like Feinstein let him off the hook on that, which is disappointing. He had nothing to lose.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Anyways, it would be an understatement to say that I'm super sad and even surprised about this. Its a black eye for all of New York. loving Staten Island.

Part of me wants to believe that the cop that shot the 12 year old on camera after jumping out of his car will get at least a trial but the realist in me knows he won't.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

It's essentially the Dead Parrot sketch.

Yeah it's the Big Lie tactic, just repeat it over and over.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm waiting to hear what Staten Island's Representative to Congress has to say about this. Surely he will have some wise words to help his community heal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shageletic posted:

No no no you don't understand, it wasn't a chokehold as those are illegal for police to use, it was a ~*restraint*~ hold which doesn't put pressure on the throat and airways. That he choked to death clearly was coincidental and unrelated to what was going on in that video.

This is only a mildly paraphrased version of the police account I heard on CNN this morning while at the gym.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

I'm waiting to hear what Staten Island's Representative to Congress has to say about this. Surely he will have some wise words to help his community heal.

quote:

"There's no question that this grand jury had an immensely difficult task before them, but I have full faith that their judgment was fair and reasoned and I applaud DA Donovan for overseeing this case with the utmost integrity. As we all pray for the Garner family, I hope we can now move forward and begin to heal together as a community", Mr. Grimm said.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I'm wondering how Fox News are going to spin Eric Garner's death.

This is loving infuriating. His death is on camera, the cop is using a hold baned by the NYPD, and the loving coroner ruled it a homicide.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Wait that's the balcony guy right?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Obama's choice for Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, is currently the local US attorney for Staten Island.

Wonder what, if anything, she will do now

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Wait that's the balcony guy right?

Yeah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shageletic posted:

Staten Island was already a black eye for all of new york hth

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Obama's choice for Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, is currently the local US attorney for Staten Island.

Wonder what, if anything, she will do now

Well have a much easier time getting confirmation.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fried Chicken posted:

Amen brother. Come on, Udall. Time to cement a legacy.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I'm wondering how Fox News are going to spin Eric Garner's death.

By insinuating he wasn't choked to death:

"Garner, who had health problems, died as a result of the encounter."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

RedQueen posted:

By insinuating he wasn't choked to death:

"Garner, who had health problems, died as a result of the encounter."

That's far too many words in a row without a reference to his criminal record.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the angel status of this supposed "victim"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

What was the angel status of this supposed "victim"?

"No"

• Locked thread