Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There just isn't enough grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I, too, had to go spoil myself and watch the second half of the episode and made the wait worse :(

Your commentary style works nicely with the fast-paced action, and the game looks like an awful lot of old-fashioned FPS fun. Will definitely be tuning in!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 3, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Eagerly awaiting the next episode. The game looks great, and your commentary works well with it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
This thread prompted me to finish my first playthrough today. I had left it hanging for a few weeks when I got distracted. I AM DEATH INCARNATE!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

quote:

For those of you in here who have played the game, I was wondering, and this is a spoiler for the second half of this first level:Did you elect to kill Fergus or Wyatt the first time through?

When I first played TNO, I picked the Fergus timeline, as he clearly is the better character between him and Wyatt.

This was one game where, for me, it lived up to my internal hype. I've loved this series since I played the 2D version on the Commodore all those years ago. Really excited to see someone with enthusiasm for the series and the game doing an LP for it. You're doing a great job so far.

Plus, I did an LP of RTCW in 2011 or so. Thankfully the videos are on the internet archive, as my blip channel was culled when they did their big purge. If you haven't played RTCW, you should, as it's a great game and TNO tends to take more after it instead of Wolf '09. It's on Steam and it's fairly cheap. Also seconding the recommendation to watch Your Evil Twin's Wolf 09 LP linked in the OP.

If you guys like TNO, I suggest picking up the Art Book. There was a lot of material cut from the game, especially towards the back end. It also has a lot of detail in how they imagined and built the world.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Count me among one of the people who saved Fergus.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 4, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bumblingbee posted:

I don’t think that that would change the way fascism presents itself. The bigger problem with my criticism in that regard is that I can’t really apply real-life schemes to the alternate world of Wolfenstein, that’s why I justified my statement with :spergin:.

Lots of those posters aren't propaganda, and even at the height of its war effort Germany produced plenty of non-aggressive and often light-hearted material for its personnel: Mildly :nws: http://www.alanhamby.com/tigerfibel.shtml

The thing that makes those posters fall short is their unconvincing typography and color schemes.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 4, 2014

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I have an unhealthy obsession with the Wolfenstein franchise for reasons beyond my understanding and I followed the previews of this game closely the moment it was announced. There were some very slight gameplay/story changes between the previews and the finished version in addition to the game files having random unused lines and dialogue for scrapped mission objectives.
I'll post the more spoilery changes later, but originally the way the inventory system in this game worked was that you had to examine enemy corpses Bioshock-style to get random items like health/weapons/armour rather than them falling separately from their bodies, the pick-up system changed a ton during the game's development and I faintly recall in one interview one of the developers said that at one point the only way to get medkits/armour/ammo/anything was from enemy corpses since the levels had no items to grab.
Dual-wielding was also going to be a temporal power-up but the developers enabled it permanently because it was funner that way.
The story also had some very slight tone changes - preview videos of later levels had BJ being quite snarky but those lines were all removed in the final game. The world wasn't ready to hear BJ say things such as "Silly Nazis, you gotta go bigger. Go big or go home" unfortunately.
I played through this game 21 times in 5 months and got 100% in every console except the PS3. No regrets. :shepface:

Re: Alternate paths in levels. Unfortunately, outside maybe 5 cases tops in the game there's no multiple paths through a level. And when there are it's only one or two small different rooms before you go back to the main path.

GUI fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 4, 2014

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I saved Wyatt first. Fergus seemed to want me to choose that. I felt like a bastard either way, and it was a big thing that drove me to go back and replay the game again.

Same, and for the same basic reason. I figured Fergus wouldn't thank me for making him watch Wyatt die.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kefkafloyd posted:

When I first played TNO, I picked the Fergus timeline, as he clearly is the better character between him and Wyatt.

This was one game where, for me, it lived up to my internal hype. I've loved this series since I played the 2D version on the Commodore all those years ago. Really excited to see someone with enthusiasm for the series and the game doing an LP for it. You're doing a great job so far.

Plus, I did an LP of RTCW in 2011 or so. Thankfully the videos are on the internet archive, as my blip channel was culled when they did their big purge. If you haven't played RTCW, you should, as it's a great game and TNO tends to take more after it instead of Wolf '09. It's on Steam and it's fairly cheap. Also seconding the recommendation to watch Your Evil Twin's Wolf 09 LP linked in the OP.

If you guys like TNO, I suggest picking up the Art Book. There was a lot of material cut from the game, especially towards the back end. It also has a lot of detail in how they imagined and built the world.

I somehow completely forgot to link your RTCW LP in the OP, that's really my bad. The LP held up pretty well all things considered and has relevant plot points to this game.

GUI posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession with the Wolfenstein franchise for reasons beyond my understanding and I followed the previews of this game closely the moment it was announced. There were some very slight gameplay/story changes between the previews and the finished version in addition to the game files having random unused lines and dialogue for scrapped mission objectives.
I'll post the more spoilery changes later, but originally the way the inventory system in this game worked was that you had to examine enemy corpses Bioshock-style to get random items like health/weapons/armour rather than them falling separately from their bodies, the pick-up system changed a ton during the game's development and I faintly recall in one interview one of the developers said that at one point the only way to get medkits/armour/ammo/anything was from enemy corpses since the levels had no items to grab.
Dual-wielding was also going to be a temporal power-up but the developers enabled it permanently because it was funner that way.
The story also had some very slight tone changes - preview videos of later levels had BJ being quite snarky but those lines were all removed in the final game. The world wasn't ready to hear BJ say things such as "Silly Nazis, you gotta go bigger. Go big or go home" unfortunately.
I played through this game 21 times in 5 months and got 100% in every console except the PS3. No regrets. :shepface:

Re: Alternate paths in levels. Unfortunately, outside maybe 5 cases tops in the game there's no multiple paths through a level. And when there are it's only one or two small different rooms before you go back to the main path.

Feel free to post what you will about the developmental changes in the game, I remember Giant Bomb talking about BJ being like a waiter in the Midwest who suddenly starts a resistance against the Nazis being a thing in really early previews of the game, but everything I could find on most gaming sites indicate the story line in the released version of the game was always the intended one. That always struck me as odd considering MachineGames had no good reason to change things to fit into the chronology of the previous games.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BenS posted:

A Wolfenstein game that actually tries to encourage tactical play and does character building with B.J.? Not sure how I feel about that! That said, the prologue was actually quite good, and I'm liking how the game tries to distinguish itself from a lot of other FPS shooters out nowadays. Time will tell how well they succeeded, but even making the attempt is worth watching.

Definitely looks like it'll be surprisingly fun. Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Even the original Wolfenstein 3D encouraged tactical play, you had very little health and a single mistake could get you killed. Anyway the only reason I haven't played this game is because I'm running a 32 bit operating system, I have to get around to hooking up the second hard drive, installing my unused copy of Windows 7, buying 16 gigs of RAM because 4 sure as hell won't be enough (it isn't enough now even though I can't even put any more in with my current OS), and hoping Windows 7 on the second hard drive can use Steam installed under Windows Vista (which I will still have as a dual boot if possible) on the first hard drive because otherwise I will have to reinstall Steam and try to copy over my Bethesda games and their 30 billion mods and that piece of poo poo Nexus mod manager and :smithicide:.

maybe Skyrim will run without constantly lagging with all the mods installed once I'm done

Is my GeForce GTX 460 a bad enough dude to play this game without a miserable experience or will I have to upgrade?

God drat I want to play this game but I'm looking at a $200 investment to play this game at a minimum. :shepspends:

steinrokkan posted:

Lots of those posters aren't propaganda, and even at the height of its war effort Germany produced plenty of non-aggressive and often light-hearted material for its personnel: Mildly :nws: http://www.alanhamby.com/tigerfibel.shtml

The thing that makes those posters fall short is their unconvincing typography and color schemes.

Wasn't Fraktur (blackletter "gothic" typeface) illegal after 1941? A lot of those posters in TNO seem to be printed in a bastardized version of Fraktur that's been dumbed down to be easier to read.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 4, 2014

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
That dream sequence? It's a reference to the original Wolf3D where BJ wins the war and goes home to marry a movie starlet.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Add me to the list of people that saved Fergus.

Great to see an LP of this game, looking forward to seeing someone else's playstyle in one of my favourite games I've played this year.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

kefkafloyd posted:

Kefkafloyd! Man, I haven't seen you around here since you did that Bionic Commando LP some time ago. I miss your LP style and voice.

Back on topic, man this game is pretty. I should pick up a copy of this game and play along.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I really should have remembered to say this earlier, but let's be careful about spoilers here. Granted, the one thing I was trying to keep people seeing this for the first time from knowing about was in like every press release before this game came out and was the subject of a trailer over a year ago, but yeah try to watch spoilers from here on out. That said, there aren't a ton of spoilers or major plot twists in this game aside from what happens at the end of this video.

This first mission, while long and a tutorial, is a really good example of what to expect from the rest of the game: a mix of stealth, action and set piece battles. The environments throughout the game, though, are going to be vastly different and each fight and sneaking section feels fresh and interesting so I'm really excited to show the rest of the game off.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That bit at 15:50 Where you walk on the balcony was different in 2013 preview builds, the wooden platforms weren't there and it had BJ stepping out of the window and slowly walking alongside the edge while you shot enemies that appeared in the floors below, a bit similar to the rope climbing section at the beginning of the castle part of the level.
You can see it in this video at 3:45 and also the HUD was a bit different back then too (weapon pop-ups when you can dual wield and the weapon selection menu).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit, as much as I like the worldbuilding they've done in this game, the incinerator room with the controls on the inside was testing my suspension of disbelief a fair bit. It's nice to see the Super Soldier model being fairly close to what they looked like in RtCW, though.
A couple of little details: the dog food you occassionally see on the floor is actually edible and a reference to Wolfenstein 3D, where health pickups were trays with food. It restores a tiny amount of health.
Also, the knives and specifically throwing them is really useful almost all the way through the game, which is kinda funny since in reality it's actually fairly hard to kill someone with a thrown knife, you more or less have to hit an artery.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I straight up love this game. I finished it on Uber and picked up all the collectables.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
You can actually kill the big stompy mech with the cannon emplacements. Just need to shoot it as fast and you can and you'll blow it up right before it fires on you. Fergus even has a special line for when you pull it off.

Also, the bit where the 2 Nazi soldiers are pulling a machine gun turret to the area where the team is pinned down? You can get on the turret while they're pulling it and they're none the wiser. If you do this, Fergus doesn't shoot them the moment they reach the corridor and they'll leave it further forward, where you can cover a much wider area from that turret. This wider area includes the 2 guys who were pulling the gun. :haw:

Damegane fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 4, 2014

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Damegane posted:

You can actually kill the big stompy mech with the cannon emplacements. Just need to shoot it as fast and you can and you'll blow it up right before it fires on you. Fergus even has a special line for when you pull it off.

You can also blow up one of the cliffside bunkers* directly to the right with it, but unlike shooting down the Stomper Fergus says nothing about it.

* For some reason this is glitched in the 360 version (and I assume the PS3 one as well) and shooting it does nothing. :spergin:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

IronSaber posted:

Kefkafloyd! Man, I haven't seen you around here since you did that Bionic Commando LP some time ago. I miss your LP style and voice.

Back on topic, man this game is pretty. I should pick up a copy of this game and play along.

LPs are a lot of work and between various projects and my day job I haven't had the wherewithal for editing videos and such. Plus, we're usually streaming these days.

Also seconding the idea of picking up the game if you haven't already. TNO is great!

Fun fact: most of the portraits of Nazi officers are actually MachineGames staff. Also more fun facts: BJ is voiced by Brian Bloom, who has basically been voicing Captain America in various cartoons for years. Seems appropriate. Deathshead is voiced by Dwight Schulz, "Howlin'" Mad Murdock from the A-Team (or Reg Barclay from Star Trek, if that's your persuasion).

I also recommend buying the soundtrack, though if you haven't played the game it's kind of spoilery. Needless to say though there's a lot of good music.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 4, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And this is the point where the game starts to get :stare:

Are all of the overcharge pickups food items?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

And this is the point where the game starts to get :stare:

Are all of the overcharge pickups food items?

Any health item is able to overcharge you, it's just that in this section food happens to be pretty plentiful so I overcharge on small items like bread and meat. As people have mentioned you can eat the dog food in this game as well, it restores 4 health if you need the smallest health boost possible.

Contrary to what you see in this video don't overcharge your health just because there are health packs around in seemingly large numbers or pick up big armor items at first sight. Because there is only limited health regeneration you will have to rely on pickups, so you are better off maintaining 100 health and leaving medkits and bandages on the floor than going to 150 health and losing half the charge before a firefight.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
This game is really dark, isn't it? I didn't think they'd go quite as far with it as they did, considering the other games are at least tongue-in-cheek.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Cryohazard posted:

This game is really dark, isn't it? I didn't think they'd go quite as far with it as they did, considering the other games are at least tongue-in-cheek.

That's part of the brilliance that is this game. You have BJ growling about how this isn't a war, this is the breaking of a seal, the undoing of life itself and then you have him, 15 years of comatose stillness, still built like a tank and ready to rip everyone in the world a new rear end in a top hat. It's got a lot of really, really dark stuff in it and there are occasional bum notes but for the most part the game revels in in the absurdity of it all. It gives you cathartic nazi slaughter but it also gives you that weird feeling in your stomach that, by the way, the nazi's were a real thing and they really did do a lot of really, really evil poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Saying this kind of sounds like one of those annoying "Wait until you see what happens next!" posts but poo poo gets crazy dark sometimes.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Sion posted:

That's part of the brilliance that is this game. You have BJ growling about how this isn't a war, this is the breaking of a seal, the undoing of life itself and then you have him, 15 years of comatose stillness, still built like a tank and ready to rip everyone in the world a new rear end in a top hat. It's got a lot of really, really dark stuff in it and there are occasional bum notes but for the most part the game revels in in the absurdity of it all. It gives you cathartic nazi slaughter but it also gives you that weird feeling in your stomach that, by the way, the nazi's were a real thing and they really did do a lot of really, really evil poo poo.

Yeah, RTCW was a bit too Hogan's Heroes and Wolf 09 was a bit too Indiana Jones. Neither game made you think too much, but this one at least forces you to from time to time.

You could probably do a pretty decent analysis comparing this game to the last quarter of Inglorious Basterds, as it seems MachineGames agreed with what Tarantino was trying to say with that movie with regards to violence towards people viewers don't like.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Saying this kind of sounds like one of those annoying "Wait until you see what happens next!" posts but poo poo gets crazy dark sometimes.

I mean, you already saw just what Deathshead did. This game swerved straight into disturbing territory before the prologue was done.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The way this game handles the themes of its predecessors is pretty interesting. For example. In one case, we hear all about how brutal the life under Nazis is, but here's the first time we get to experience it. It's also one of the very, very few games that dare to include concentration camps.
The analogy with Tarantino making you question the mechanics behind mindless violence to which you're desensitized works pretty well, I think.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I kind of disagree. I don't think that it's mindless violence so much as cathartic.

The concentration camp level that ends with you storming the place with a giant robot is pure schlock. There's no other game that could get away with that kind of thing.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
So glad you're LPing this. Picked it up the week it came out for full price and I don't regret a penny of that. Would have easily been my game of the year if it hadn't been for Shadow of Mordor.

Music is absolutely fantastic too.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mortuus posted:

So glad you're LPing this. Picked it up the week it came out for full price and I don't regret a penny of that. Would have easily been my game of the year if it hadn't been for Shadow of Mordor.

Music is absolutely fantastic too.

I finished Shadow of Mordor and then played this right after so I really got a one-two punch of excellent 2014 games that were somehow not irrevocably broken at launch, which seems to be a major theme with the major releases this year.

anilEhilated posted:

The way this game handles the themes of its predecessors is pretty interesting. For example. In one case, we hear all about how brutal the life under Nazis is, but here's the first time we get to experience it. It's also one of the very, very few games that dare to include concentration camps.
The analogy with Tarantino making you question the mechanics behind mindless violence to which you're desensitized works pretty well, I think.

There are also the letters you can find, some of which are basically Holocaust poetry and others that are just people trying to make sense of a hosed up world. I think that and the recordings you get sent hammer home a lot of factors of the Nazi regime and war that most WWII set games either don't talk about or pay lip service to.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

That bit with Private Gates is probably one of my favourite moments in this game :allears:.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm not really big on paying for shooters, too little replayability for me, usually I just go to an internet cafe and play through shooters. So i'm really glad this is being covered here.

BogMod
Jun 21, 2014
Nice to see someone doing this LP on here. Me and a friend tried our hand at LPing it but we made a different choice than you did it seems in part 2. Going to be interesting to watch and see how the game plays out differently now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BogMod posted:

Nice to see someone doing this LP on here. Me and a friend tried our hand at LPing it but we made a different choice than you did it seems in part 2. Going to be interesting to watch and see how the game plays out differently now.

It really is a crime that no one got to this earlier. I was actually surprised by that fact after I started playing, I just figured someone had done this already or had at least started on it. It's really a great game that seems to have flown under the radar, but the people who did play it more or less love it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Uh. So I was adding New Order to my steam wishlist. Thinking "Hey, maybe a buddy will gift it to me for christmas" getting around my "I don't usually buy FPS games" policy.

I've already bought it. It's sitting in my library. When did I buy it? This is weird. Installing it now though because it looks like a great game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There was a pretty big sale on it last week. The biggest discount so far, I believe.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

anilEhilated posted:

There was a pretty big sale on it last week. The biggest discount so far, I believe.

Drunk buying is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

steinrokkan posted:

I love the random nudity in this tank manual.

• Locked thread