Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So, I gotta ask, what happens if you just sit around and don't pick anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Affi posted:

Uh. So I was adding New Order to my steam wishlist. Thinking "Hey, maybe a buddy will gift it to me for christmas" getting around my "I don't usually buy FPS games" policy.

I've already bought it. It's sitting in my library. When did I buy it? This is weird. Installing it now though because it looks like a great game.

You never got it. It just installed itself.

It's spreading.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

HGH posted:

So, I gotta ask, what happens if you just sit around and don't pick anyone?
After a while Deathshead gets bored, snaps his fingers, and the supersoldiers break everyone's necks.

I loved New Order too when I played it. As Lazyfire commented, it's such a weird game for 2014: a big blockbuster that has no DLC or multiplayer or co-op, a first person shooter that's more than 6 hours long, a story that treats crazy pulp schlock like it was actual history. Reminds me of the Metro games, but with slightly fewer silly accents.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 4, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Inferior posted:

After a while Deathshead gets bored, snaps his fingers, and the supersoldiers break everyone's necks.

So he kills you too or do you just have to play through the game without either of them showing up?

That is.. i'd have liked an option to not choose. Because gently caress nazis and gently caress him for trying to make you pick who he kills.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Affi posted:

So he kills you too or do you just have to play through the game without either of them showing up?

You die too. The supersoldiers kill everyone. You have to pick one or the other, or the game cannot continue.

quote:

Because gently caress nazis and gently caress him for trying to make you pick who he kills.

That's kind of the point, yes. This game is supposed to make you hate Deathshead, especially if you hadn't already built up that hate from RTCW or Wolf 09.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I love that this game doesn't mess around. Most games would be content to let the player to mess around as long as he wanted, danger or no danger. Here, that incinerator will mess you up if you don't get out almost as soon as possible. I like having failure conditions in situations where time is a factor.

Also, I saved Wyatt because I was honestly going against the grain compared to everyone else. Also Fergus knew the risks and was prepared to die. It's probably not an actually spoiler since the video's out, but eh.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's one of those questions that's apparently doomed to remain unanswered whenever it's brought up (I even emailed the developer of a different game on an unrelated subject, then had a conversation that ended abruptly when I brought the same question up): Any idea why I can't buy this game in Israel? In case anyone cares, I can (could, while they were on steam) buy RTCW / Wolfenstein 2009. For the record, the local media does not exactly disapprove of Nazi slaughter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inferior posted:

I loved New Order too when I played it. As Lazyfire commented, it's such a weird game for 2014: a big blockbuster that has no DLC or multiplayer or co-op, a first person shooter that's more than 6 hours long, a story that treats crazy pulp schlock like it was actual history. Reminds me of the Metro games, but with slightly fewer silly accents.

I think it's a good sign for the gaming market. There's a lot of cynicism related to the spat of Call of Duty and Battlefield clones and half-finished games being shoved out the door thanks to pre-orders and day patches guaranteeing sales, or on-disc DLC choking money out of gamers. New Order is proof that making a creative single player experience is still profitable for big studios.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

kefkafloyd posted:

You die too. The supersoldiers kill everyone. You have to pick one or the other, or the game cannot continue.

Yep. That was the very first choice I made: gently caress you, Deathshead, I ain't picking poo poo. My obstinance got me kiled, so I chose to save Wyatt instead.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone have an answer to my question? I want to play this game so much but I don't know how much upgrading I will have to do and system requirements are usually ridiculously optimistic.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Does anyone have an answer to my question? I want to play this game so much but I don't know how much upgrading I will have to do and system requirements are usually ridiculously optimistic.

FWIW: I played it on a 3,3 ghz Quadcore with an ATI Radeon 5700 and i found it reasonably playable.

BenS
Nov 11, 2014
Ouch, I'm feeling really bad for Blazko after that. He's gotten more things falling/beating him than even most FPS protagonists. I really liked that choice scene, too- perfect way of making the viewer hate Deathshead even if they haven't seen anything of him up until that point.

Curious about how invalid!Blazko is going to get back into the war, I must say. Looking forward to the next update!

Woolie Wool posted:

Even the original Wolfenstein 3D encouraged tactical play, you had very little health and a single mistake could get you killed.

Hm... I kind of agree, kind of don't. Even at harder difficulty levels, you really could just Equilibrium your way through most- if not all- of the game, and the biggest challenge was learning where the enemies were and what order to shoot them in. 'Tactical' in that sense, but not quite what I was thinking of. Especially since I was thinking of what Lazyfire was saying, that rushing in and having those things memorized won't be enough to get through the game.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Wait until he starts racking up the dual-wield perks. :getin:

:hehe: I'll look forward to it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

On one hand, the pistol is extremely effective at quiet nazi removal without much trouble. On the other, stabbing nazis is SO SATISFYING, so the dual knives are obviously superior.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BenS posted:

Hm... I kind of agree, kind of don't. Even at harder difficulty levels, you really could just Equilibrium your way through most- if not all- of the game, and the biggest challenge was learning where the enemies were and what order to shoot them in.
By "equilibrium", do you mean kiting them through doors and shooting them as they file through? That works sometimes, but there are ways as a level designer to get around that. Even moreso than Doom, the custom levels are where it's really at and the original level set is basically Babby's First Wolfenstein.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So tonight is the first night we haven't been out being social so I finally had time to put together a quick picture crash course on stuff I sort of glossed over in the videos.

First off, you may have noticed a flash screen right before BJ's daydream:

You may also have noticed BJ looks to be in constant pain:

Get used to that. On to the game.

This is a pretty common scene for the game and a good chance to break down the elements of the HUD

1: Objective Any Objective you have been assigned will flash in the upper left corner of the screen for a few moments after it is related to you. If you forget you can hit a button to bring up your journal which also contains your perks, notes, enigma codes and so on.

2: Objective Markers These come in three varieties: Red for attackable objectives, Blue for intractable items and Yellow for locations. At least, that's what I think the coding is, they seem to get mixed up, especially later on when getting to a space is the objective, but that space is interactable.

3: Health and Armor Keep an eye on this as you take damage and die pretty quickly. When you hit below 20 health the game will go black and white, but that's really the only visual indication of how hurt you are outside of the numbers. Subtitles in the LP will always be in English, by the way, even if everyone is speaking German as the game translates. The game also marks characters speaking to you directly in white text while thing heard over PAs come in as grey italics. It's actually pretty useful.

4: Who's Talking Not overly important, but the game does let you know who you are communicating with at any given time. Each character is fairly unique so there isn't much of a question on that, still, nice touch.

If you aren't looking closely you may have missed the lean indicators. The game will pop you out of cover when you ADS with weapons depending on how close to an edge of an object or wall you are. I like this mechanic quite a bit as manual lean is a bit weird to use considering you have to hold left alt and then one or a combination of the WASD keys to lean and I nearly always end up taking a few steps when I meant to stop leaning.

The map is something you can consult at any time to get an overview of the area you are in. The current objective shows up as that bright yellow exclamation point, areas of interest show up as white question marks or exclamation points. There are collectible wall maps in each level that will reveal the layout of the level like we see here, otherwise as you explore the areas the map fills in. I generally don't bother with those maps because the levels aren't overly complicated to navigate.

Perks in this game aren't gamebreaking or character altering like they can be in most other games. Some, like Scout II are very helpful (Scout II reveals enemy commander positions on your map) while others, like say Throwback are marginally useful at best. While I won't be striving for any particular set of perks, there are some that are actually kind of helpful in terms of keeping players sane (dual reload, knife sheath) that are always a good idea to do a couple extra steps to get early on.

BogMod
Jun 21, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

It really is a crime that no one got to this earlier. I was actually surprised by that fact after I started playing, I just figured someone had done this already or had at least started on it. It's really a great game that seems to have flown under the radar, but the people who did play it more or less love it.

We really did enjoy it. Passing the controller back and forth every few hours. Of course since I have done it part of the fun of watching you go through it now is seeing how you react differently compared to how we did it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I saved Wyatt because Fergus would have never forgiven me for letting Wyatt die. Wyatt's a new soldier, scared, full life ahead of him. Fergus is old, tired, ready to go. Choosing to kill Wyatt is like kicking a puppy, you monsters.

I like the manual lean as it gives you a ton of flexibility on where and how you engage enemies and it lets you look under beds and stuff. The auto-cover pop out is great, too. It was one of the things about Far Cry 3 that I thought was brilliant.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
In that secret corridor behind Deathsheads painting you can pull out some loose bricks once you're up the stairs to snipe the patrolling soldiers from behind the wall.
Also, the voice acting is so much better in this version than in the German one. I just finished the game after saving Wyatt, so I'm looking forward to how this will turn out.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I want to bring up Resistance by Miracle of Sound, as the only reason I felt pretty pumped when seeing this thread for the first time. (Well, and also Lazyfire as the competent captain at the helm.) I suppose I must have seen a review from Zero Punctuation, but that didn't leave much impression. Also, the video may well contain spoilers, but I was quite surprised by everything that's come up in the LP so far... Although I may have not paid much attention to the visuals. :ohdear:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pvt.Scott posted:

I saved Wyatt because Fergus would have never forgiven me for letting Wyatt die. Wyatt's a new soldier, scared, full life ahead of him. Fergus is old, tired, ready to go. Choosing to kill Wyatt is like kicking a puppy, you monsters.

I like the manual lean as it gives you a ton of flexibility on where and how you engage enemies and it lets you look under beds and stuff. The auto-cover pop out is great, too. It was one of the things about Far Cry 3 that I thought was brilliant.

The lean function is one of those things I didn't realize I wanted in this game until midway through my first playthrough. By using it properly you can avoid a ton of stupid deaths and damage and stay hidden during stealth sections, which is a huge benefit. Battlefield 4 introduced an auto-lean system, but it's incredibly broken compared to Wolfenstein's system, to the point where nearly no one uses it or if you attempt to use it you end up shooting into the cover itself. I really wish that the system would see widespread use in other franchises now as it really is the best way I've seen lean implemented in a console-targeted game.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

supermikhail posted:

I want to bring up Resistance by Miracle of Sound, as the only reason I felt pretty pumped when seeing this thread for the first time. (Well, and also Lazyfire as the competent captain at the helm.) I suppose I must have seen a review from Zero Punctuation, but that didn't leave much impression. Also, the video may well contain spoilers, but I was quite surprised by everything that's come up in the LP so far... Although I may have not paid much attention to the visuals. :ohdear:

Miracle of Sound makes some great video game music. The TNO and Witcher 3 ones are the best.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game fuckin' rules and man is it nice to have an objectively super evil faction. Nazis make things easy!

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

A nice thing about the Polish voice acting: people actually have a period appropriate accent! The wording's a bit weird at times, but it's pretty much unnoticeable unless you really focus on picking out the errors. That kinda surprised me when I watched the trailers.

And speaking of - they're actually pretty amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVem8pTJOSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENTC-mAQ0tI

(note: some spoilers, I suppose, but if it's in the drat official trailers does it really count as a spoiler at all? Plus it's just tiny snippets anyway)

Anyway, lookin' forward to a Lazyfire LP of an actually good modern FPS

e: also a funny thing about what someone said about the guy who played Murdock on A-Team TV show voicing Deathshead: Brian Bloom, the guy who voices BJ, actually played the villain in the '10 A-Team remake. Wonder if it's just a coincidence?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

This game is absolutely fantastic. I bought it on release day, and never regretted it.

Lazyfire, you're pointing out that it's a better idea to be a bit cautious and not go guns blazing into a firefight, else you're going to be torn to shreds, and you're right. This game will not hesitate to tear you a new one if you're foolish enough to go wading in the line of fire while dual wielding, thinking you can just tank the damage or something. The problem, however, is that it can be SO drat SATISFYING to just go hog wild and pump enemies full of lead, dual wielding assault rifles or any of the other weapons.

I guess that's why I enjoy this game way more than any of the other modern shooters, since you gotta deal with exactly the sort of way that the campaign wants you to do it, as opposed to giving you a bunch of options for encounters and what not. Don't feel like taking on a ton of enemies at once? Try picking off enemies quietly, one by one. Too many enemies shooting at you than you'd like? Use cover to get some protection. Feeling lucky? Overcharge on health packs and go dual wielding to try and take out as many as you can before you have to retreat, lest you get torn to shreds.

Sure, some options are a lot more dangerous than others, but it's the sort of freedom that I'd like to see more in big budget shooters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And it'd be even more amazing if the game actually GAVE YOU ENOUGH GREN-
...Okay, you get it by now. Lazyfire will probably explain this at some point, but that leaning and cover? Really important. Not just for you, for enemies too: the game manages to integrate a lot of design mechanics of a cover shooter, and that makes grenades really important, since it's just about the only way to smoke enemies out of their hidey holes. Now, there's a whole perk tree dedicated to grenades - and given the game's (lack of) placement of those, it's next to impossible to max out unless you're intentionally for it right from the start.
I think my TNO experience could be summed up as "This is really neat, love the storytelling, why don't they give me explosives, wow really cool location, why don't they give me explosives, this is going for way too loving long, why don't they give me GRENADES."
Don't get me wrong, it's a very good game and easily better than about any other shooter that came out in 2014, but it's not without flaws and those get really grating. Kind of like me bitching about them here. And it won't stop.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 5, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

anilEhilated posted:

And it'd be even more amazing if the game actually GAVE YOU ENOUGH GREN-
...Okay, you get it by now. Lazyfire will probably explain this at some point, but that leaning and cover? Really important. Not just for you, for enemies too: the game manages to integrate a lot of design mechanics of a cover shooter, and that makes grenades really important, since it's just about the only way to smoke enemies out of their hidey holes. Now, there's a whole perk tree dedicated to grenades - and given the game's (lack of) placement of those, it's next to impossible to max out unless you're intentionally for it right from the start.
I think my TNO experience could be summed up as "This is really neat, love the storytelling, why don't they give me explosives, wow really cool location, why don't they give me explosives, this is going for way too loving long, why don't they give me GRENADES."
Don't get me wrong, it's a very good game and easily better than about any other shooter that came out in 2014, but it's not without flaws and those get really grating. Kind of like me bitching about them here. And it won't stop.

Actually, the Grenade issue gets completely supplanted by the problems where a type of enemy is only weak to a specific weapon that needs constant refills and the introduction of other enemies that are best dealt with by a hard to come by secondary fire ammo.

The first problem enemy becomes much easier with the right upgrades to the previously mentioned enemy, but the second type will keep you hoarding ammo for a really satisfying secondary fire mode.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly sure I know what you're talking about and it's something I'm intending to whine about at length when we get there. Still, the game DOESN'T GIVE YOU ENOUGH GR-
Basically, the game has some amazing ideas about guns like the whole dualwield anything deal, but there's a bunch of pretty big issues with the gunplay.

edit: No, really. For some reason constatly wishing I had a grenade is what I remember most from the entire game.

edit zwei: VVV Not sure about auto, but I seem to recall leaning being pretty drat useful in System Shock 2.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 5, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

The lean function is one of those things I didn't realize I wanted in this game until midway through my first playthrough. By using it properly you can avoid a ton of stupid deaths and damage and stay hidden during stealth sections, which is a huge benefit. Battlefield 4 introduced an auto-lean system, but it's incredibly broken compared to Wolfenstein's system, to the point where nearly no one uses it or if you attempt to use it you end up shooting into the cover itself. I really wish that the system would see widespread use in other franchises now as it really is the best way I've seen lean implemented in a console-targeted game.

I know I dragged you through the weakest entry of the series, but I think Killzone 2 was one of the first (if not the first) FPS games to introduce an auto-lean from cover mechanic. Unlike the first game, the sequels are a lot more fun

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

I know I dragged you through the weakest entry of the series, but I think Killzone 2 was one of the first (if not the first) FPS games to introduce an auto-lean from cover mechanic. Unlike the first game, the sequels are a lot more fun

Killzone 1, what I've seen of it from your and Nine-Gear Crow's LP, is not a game I would expect to spawn a well regarded franchise with good design decisions. Specific characters being able to use specific sets of weapons is the dumbest idea ever still.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Manual leaning is a staple of the Wolfenstein series and they knocked it out of the park in TNO. It works just like RTCW, except now you can SHOOT DUDES while leaning.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Alright, so seeing the LP go live really put the spurs to me and I actually went and finished my playthrough. Have to thank you for that, Lazyfire. Can't understand why I stopped playing. Anyway, Now that I've watched the video, I'm glad you chose Fergus so I can see what I missed out on by choosing Wyatt. Definitely going to be a fun ride.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Good to know I have some influence on what people play.

If anyone else is watching this and wants to play along, Steam has the game on sale for sub $20 right now. I think that's a better deal than the just finished Autumn sale.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, kickass. Time to replace my ruined disc and pray it'll run on my computer!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Good to know I have some influence on what people play.

If anyone else is watching this and wants to play along, Steam has the game on sale for sub $20 right now. I think that's a better deal than the just finished Autumn sale.

Hnnnnnnnnnngggggg

Must save for camera, must save for camera.....

gently caress IT

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

Killzone 1, what I've seen of it from your and Nine-Gear Crow's LP, is not a game I would expect to spawn a well regarded franchise with good design decisions. Specific characters being able to use specific sets of weapons is the dumbest idea ever still.

KZ2 was a massive step in the right direction. But, phew, you should see Guerrilla's first game, Shellshock: Nam '67. It's a particularly bad mix of interesting ideas with terrible execution. I'm a big fan of their post-Killzone games, though, and The New Order is reminding me of them quite a bit, so I'm going to keep an eye out for sales of it on consoles (can't run it on PC).

(If I were playing along, I would've saved the young guy; Fergus'd probably want it that way).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

Hnnnnnnnnnngggggg

Must save for camera, must save for camera.....

gently caress IT

You could always play Super Wolfenstein HD which I was sort of thinking of doing as part of the LP at some point because it's loving hilarious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

You could always play Super Wolfenstein HD which I was sort of thinking of doing as part of the LP at some point because it's loving hilarious.

quote:

This game was made for the PewDiePie Jam

You monster.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

You monster.

It's actually fun, if not completely weird. You could play all pacifist if you desired and only shoot the guns out of enemy's hands.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn, it won't work properly on my old computer. At least it's on my Steam account whenever I finally get around to upgrading and I can stab nazis vicariously through your LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it's too bad they got rid of the upgrade system from Wolfenstein 2009. I mean they're already using alternate versions of real firearms and it wasn't much different than what the perks accomplish.

Game still looks fun though

• Locked thread