Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

J.theYellow posted:

Ole BJ sure has a low inseam in those pants.

He probably stole them after busting out from jail from a Nazi who, ironically, is the exact same size as BJ but has a terrible tailor.

Edit: oh hey my first post in this thread is a terrible joke, nice. Thanks for LPing this game, Lazyfire, it was a blast to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

I find it hilarious how obvious it is that they have a dev cheat on so their health never drops below 1.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The pre-order for this popped up on Steam right after I finished a game of nazi-shooting in War Thunder. It was destiny. Eagerly awaiting Old Blood; it was going to be a day 1 purchase for me anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MoadDib posted:

I find it hilarious how obvious it is that they have a dev cheat on so their health never drops below 1.

You know you're a nerd when this is the first thing you (and I) notice first :v:

Looking forward to 1940's future weapons.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Just popping in to say that I enjoyed the LP and much of the discussions in the thread. It's amusing how incompetent the Italians and Nazis were. That being said, what were the French like? I don't think anyone really talked about them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Finally got to the end. Knew it was coming, but :(

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just popping in to say that I enjoyed the LP and much of the discussions in the thread. It's amusing how incompetent the Italians and Nazis were. That being said, what were the French like? I don't think anyone really talked about them.
Far as I remember from history class, the French government caved in super quick realising they had no possible means to fight back against the far-stronger German war machine. But its people mustered a HUGE resistance against them that basically was the main driving force of actual resistance in Europe outside of actual armies. At the very least there were many mentions of incredible espionage and sabotage missions all over the Nazi occupation of France, which Britain helped with greatly in turn and as such is part of our history deeply too as an odd alliance.

I don't remember specifics, but I do know that the French Resistance were rather legendary for being the biggest form of vigilantism in the entirety of WWII, far as I know anyways.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Actually, it is slightly disappointing that they went with "more 1946 levels" instead of a sequel. A game where the Kreisau circle goes around recovering more crazy Da'at Yichud tech and uses it to strike at Nazi centres of power and aid resistance movements would have been more interesting.

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Actually, it is slightly disappointing that they went with "more 1946 levels" instead of a sequel.

Old Blood is a standalone expansion thingy. Steam price is only €20 instead of €40 for the original.
I'm sure there is a real sequel in the making as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

Actually, it is slightly disappointing that they went with "more 1946 levels" instead of a sequel. A game where the Kreisau circle goes around recovering more crazy Da'at Yichud tech and uses it to strike at Nazi centres of power and aid resistance movements would have been more interesting.

There's likely an actual sequel in the process of being made. They likely chose 1946 levels because of how much was made for that era when it only got a single level and some side stuff in the final product. In fact, it's not out of the realm of possibility that this was already in production concurrently or shortly after the release of the main game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FinalGamer posted:

Far as I remember from history class, the French government caved in super quick realising they had no possible means to fight back against the far-stronger German war machine. But its people mustered a HUGE resistance against them that basically was the main driving force of actual resistance in Europe outside of actual armies. At the very least there were many mentions of incredible espionage and sabotage missions all over the Nazi occupation of France, which Britain helped with greatly in turn and as such is part of our history deeply too as an odd alliance.

I don't remember specifics, but I do know that the French Resistance were rather legendary for being the biggest form of vigilantism in the entirety of WWII, far as I know anyways.

The French Resistance's accomplishments are generally vastly overstated because the French wanted a way to feel a lot less awful for getting knocked out of one of the most important wars in history early on.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On the other hand Paris is still beautiful and intact.

C'est la vie.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

That, and we wouldn't want to leave Frau Engel alive and plotting, now would we?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I read an interesting article on Cracked the other day that was very interesting and made me want to learn more about resistance in Slovakia and other smaller countries during WWII. I thought I'd share it here;
6 Unexpected Things I Learned Resisting the Nazis in WWII

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
That had to be the worst moment. The war ended, the Nazis get kicked out of your country and then the Communists showed up the next day and wrecked the place. :smith:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Pvt.Scott posted:

That had to be the worst moment. The war ended, the Nazis get kicked out of your country and then the Communists showed up the next day and wrecked the place. :smith:

Yeah... It was almost shocking to me when I read it, since when I, like most other people, (I presume) associate the "Liberation" with the American forces. I just hadn't thought about the fact that the Soviet Union used their position in the aftermath of the war to annex or otherwise "take over" all the countries the Red Army had "Liberated".
In fact, something that I have interested me lately is how Europe was affected by the Allies redrawing the map after the war. The only part of that I have really paid attention to earlier was the creation of the state of Israel and how that contributed to the conflict there. It is sobering to read about how the decisions made in the aftermath were far from good in many cases, since it is so easy to think about the Allies solely as the good guys, at least to me.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Thesaya posted:

Yeah... It was almost shocking to me when I read it, since when I, like most other people, (I presume) associate the "Liberation" with the American forces. I just hadn't thought about the fact that the Soviet Union used their position in the aftermath of the war to annex or otherwise "take over" all the countries the Red Army had "Liberated".
In fact, something that I have interested me lately is how Europe was affected by the Allies redrawing the map after the war. The only part of that I have really paid attention to earlier was the creation of the state of Israel and how that contributed to the conflict there. It is sobering to read about how the decisions made in the aftermath were far from good in many cases, since it is so easy to think about the Allies solely as the good guys, at least to me.

The soviets were trying to take over their neighbors even before ww2. What do you think the winter war was about? Polands fate after ww2 always gives me a bit of a chuckle when you consider what the Russians had done to them before ww1. England assures Polands borders and then after ww2 they pretty much give them over to their most hated enemy. Of course Russians never forgetting how to treat their old vassal start killing anyone smart enough to resist.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Iretep posted:

The soviets were trying to take over their neighbors even before ww2. What do you think the winter war was about? Polands fate after ww2 always gives me a bit of a chuckle when you consider what the Russians had done to them before ww1. England assures Polands borders and then after ww2 they pretty much give them over to their most hated enemy. Of course Russians never forgetting how to treat their old vassal start killing anyone smart enough to resist.

I never said that they started taking over countries after WWII, only that, as a consequence, they managed to do so on a much larger scale than I believe would have been possible if it wasn't for the war.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There is a very good reason why WWII segued almost directly into the Cold War :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Iretep posted:

A lot of countries only allied with the Nazis because they knew that the Soviets were worse somehow. Hitler had a pretty infamous killcount of victims and innocents, but Stalin managed to triple that during his regime. In fact he was the main reason a lot of countries did not side with us, such as the lower Eastern Europe states as well as Finland.
A few other countries also made bedfellows with the Nazis purely to fight the Soviets, such as again Finland who really loving hated Russia and understandably so. Of course they only wanted the protection of Germany and did not follow the policies so thankfully there were some good people who during the writeups of Axis alliance, smuggled all the Jewish people out of the country.
2000 Jewish people alone lived in Finland and not one of them had been caught or murdered thanks to the Finnish government smuggling them out safely. So they had the best of both managing to fight the Soviets legitimately while also not partaking in horrid war crimes.

I don't want to open up a discussion on Israel because I know it's the ultimate clusterfuck both religiously and sociopolitically, but I always never understood how the hell it got created in the first place, or why, or who even had the authority to make it so.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 19, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah, Hitler and the Nazis get a lot of flak for general evilness and soforth but Stalin was at least as bad and arguably way worse because Stalin was actually quite competent.

The major difference between the two is the Allies never found Stalin's concentration camps :v:

FinalGamer posted:

I don't want to open up a discussion on Israel because I know it's the ultimate clusterfuck both religiously and sociopolitically, but I always never understood how the hell it got created in the first place, or why, or who even had the authority to make it so.

The story of how Israel happened really has to be seen to be believed and basically comes down to 'everyone screwed the Jews, the Allies promised not to screw the Jews and then they screwed the Jews. Later on they remembered their old promise and decided to not screw the Jews... by screwing the Palestinians instead.'

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 20, 2015

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
The Israel-Palestine problem goes back mostly to the British Mandate and good ol' colonialism. Short version: the UK wanted to gently caress with the Ottomans during WWI, so they helped anti-Ottoman Arab Palestinians form a resistance against Ottoman rule during the war, promising them control of the country after the war was over. Great, right? Except then the UK made the exact same deal with the Jewish minority in the country, who had been coexisting peacefully with the Arab population for quite some time. Just to make things even crazier, the UK also made a deal to divide the country up with France. Absolutely none of this worked out, resulting in the British Mandate, which in turn led to the UN partition plan, which led to war.

Super-short version: Colonialism sucks and is directly or indirectly responsible for many, many 20th century wars.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Blacksuit posted:

The Israel-Palestine problem goes back mostly to the British Mandate and good ol' colonialism. Short version: the UK wanted to gently caress with the Ottomans during WWI, so they helped anti-Ottoman Arab Palestinians form a resistance against Ottoman rule during the war, promising them control of the country after the war was over. Great, right? Except then the UK made the exact same deal with the Jewish minority in the country, who had been coexisting peacefully with the Arab population for quite some time. Just to make things even crazier, the UK also made a deal to divide the country up with France. Absolutely none of this worked out, resulting in the British Mandate, which in turn led to the UN partition plan, which led to war.

Super-short version: Colonialism sucks and is directly or indirectly responsible for many, many 20th century wars.

And then as WWII was dying down the British remembered all this and decided to make good on their old promise to the Jews!

British Colonialism ladies and gentlemen.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It gave birth to the U.S.A. and look how we turned out.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

And then as WWII was dying down the British remembered all this and decided to make good on their old promise to the Jews!

Eh, the original partition plan was a weak attempt to make good on the promise to both Jews and Arabs, but it was an untenable blob of a map. The first solution was, then, a two-state solution, just a really bad, panicky version that worked for no one. There are better two-state proposals in existence today, provided the leadership of either side is willing to try one out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blacksuit posted:

Eh, the original partition plan was a weak attempt to make good on the promise to both Jews and Arabs, but it was an untenable blob of a map. The first solution was, then, a two-state solution, just a really bad, panicky version that worked for no one. There are better two-state proposals in existence today, provided the leadership of either side is willing to try one out.

I'm not sure India/Pakistan really qualifies as a good two-state solution. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The problem is that the entire concept of Israel was never going to be tenable, but by the time anyone figured that out it was already way too late.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Neruz posted:

And then we turned round and saw India and thought "poo poo it'd look pretty bad if we kept colonising them still" so we gave it back to them.

And then Hong Kong got given back to China about 50 years later, god drat I knew Britain did a lot of weird deals around the world but poo poo I had no idea how hosed things kinda got when we got involved in some poo poo.

Neruz posted:

Yeah, Hitler and the Nazis get a lot of flak for general evilness and soforth but Stalin was at least as bad and arguably way worse because Stalin was actually quite competent.

The major difference between the two is the Allies never found Stalin's concentration camps :v:
Yeah, that's the scary thing, that's the EXACT scary thing.

Hitler was insane and kinda stupid but had a huge amount of charisma and knew how to manipulate people. Stalin was insane but deviously clever and also knew how to manipulate people with fear.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FinalGamer posted:

Yeah, that's the scary thing, that's the EXACT scary thing.

Hitler was insane and kinda stupid but had a huge amount of charisma and knew how to manipulate people. Stalin was insane but deviously clever and also knew how to manipulate people with fear.

Also, the Western world needed Stalin at the time. Strange bedfellows and all that.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

FinalGamer posted:

France's legacy in WW2 is... complicated. On the one hand, some of them risked everything for the Resistance: their well-being, their lives, the lives of their friends and families. Others basically sold their souls to jump in bed with the Nazis. So they're pretty ambivalent, really. AFAIK (and I know a fair bit) the French government has never released an official French history of the war, and maybe they never will.

As to the fall of France, the French military was actually pretty well-staffed and well-equipped. They had a sophisticated network of defenses (the famous Maginot line) and their leadership had learned many lessons from the Great War. Their strategy was to hold the border (easy to do thanks to said Maginot line), push into Belgium, and beat the Germans back. Which they stood a pretty good chance of doing, since they'd had British and Belgian and Dutch help. So the Germans tried to figure out a different plan. A few generals (including Manstein, one of the best generals of the war) proposed that they go through the Ardennes, which is a large forest along the French/German/Belgian borders. The Maginot line didn't cover it, because the French figured the Germans couldn't get through it. (if this seems like an oversight, imagine driving a car through largely untamed forest. Now imagine driving several tank columns. Not easy, right?)

To sum it up, the Germans figured out how to get through the forest. They feinted and lured the French and British armies northeast into Belgium, then sent the bulk of their tanks through the Ardennes, into France, and back up north to cut off the Allied armies. It worked even better than the Germans hoped. Supplies and communications were cut, they were outflanked and outmaneuvered, nobody knew what was happening, panic and confusion everywhere, etc. The military leadership didn't know what to do, the politicians were divided (some of them sympathized with Hitler's politics, especially in regards to the Jews and communism) and pretty soon organized defense just fell apart. It's a myth that the French army surrendered as soon as guns were pointed their way: quite a few units actually hunkered down and fought to the last. But the fact was that they had fallen into a trap and been thoroughly outplayed, and really couldn't hope to win. Some French soldiers figured "Look, our leaders couldn't be arsed to strategize properly, and hosed up hugely by falling into the German trap. Why should I die for their mistakes?" Not the most patriotic sentiment, but an understandable one, IMO.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Mraagvpeine posted:

If you read the USPol thread like I do (don't) then :negative: seems like the only proper response to this post.

e:to add something relevant. Lazyfire, do you plan to continue this thread with Old Blood once it's released and has a bit of time to marinate?

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

From the POV of the indigenous peoples... not all that well for them. Colonialism rarely tends to work out in the favor of the people that already lived there.:hist101:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
So long as you happen to be rich, white and male the USA worked out really well :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

zxqv8 posted:

If you read the USPol thread like I do (don't) then :negative: seems like the only proper response to this post.

e:to add something relevant. Lazyfire, do you plan to continue this thread with Old Blood once it's released and has a bit of time to marinate?

I've been largely absent from this thread for a while because I'm running low on extra free time between recording for another LP and Battlefield Hardline getting released. I plan on playing The Old Blood first before recording anything for it, so knowing me it'll be a while before I actually start an LP for it. I was going to close this thread last week, but people were still posting in it and having conversations so I igured there was no harm leaving it up a little while longer.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Thesaya posted:

I read an interesting article on Cracked the other day that was very interesting and made me want to learn more about resistance in Slovakia and other smaller countries during WWII. I thought I'd share it here;
6 Unexpected Things I Learned Resisting the Nazis in WWII

That bit about female communist soldiers smothering their own newborns sounded a bit dubious.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gort posted:

That bit about female communist soldiers smothering their own newborns sounded a bit dubious.

It's probably something that happened like once or twice under extreme circumstances and got blown out of proportion in the rumor-mill.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, definitely. When communists took over (at least here - Czech rep.), they had to deal with the resistance somehow, so most of the former resistance fighters they simultaneously praised as heroes and put into prison; you can't have people who fought a totalitarian regime around while you're building one. As a result, the history of the WW2 resistance is a complete clusterfuck of fact, fiction and outright propaganda because a lot of it was intentionally muddled to prevent public outcry.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Gort posted:

To her defense, in the very next sentence she says "this might have been an isolated incident".

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I can absolutely believe that there were instances of female soldiers, communist or otherwise who were forced to basically choose between killing their child 'humanely' or letting it starve to death or worse, if only because there can't have been much in the way of available childcare. But I sincerely doubt it was a general trend, that is the sort of incredibly grim poo poo that happens in real wars as isolated incidents.

Real wars aren't nice or glorious or anything other than nasty and grim. War is a hideous business which is one of the reasons why we have dedicated so much time and effort into getting as good at it as possible; the better you are at war the sooner you can get it over with and go back to doing something less horrible.

That said even by war standards the First and Second World Wars were loving nightmarish, which is saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Gort posted:

The first example of how the Soviets were even worse than the Nazis was some guy getting his farm taken from him. I mean, that sucks and all, but this says something interesting about the priorities of the informant.

• Locked thread