Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm so regretting not getting to play it now.

I could also be the sour grapes person, because I'm almost alergic to fun.

But I so do want a fun shooting experience, I so want it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TNO seems to be a fun shooter and a very sad game, considering its history and promotional material. For all square jaw and general heroic looks, BJ seems like has a semi permanent thousand yard stare.

Though seeing that he has already fought ressurected knights and other dimensions(and robot Hitler), he should be really messed up.

EDIT: Has anybody mentioned why BJ is still so young and spry? I don't know if I would have picked up on that myself, but I guess it was criticized in Zero Punctuation or something. Though with BJs adventures not even a paranormal explanation would be out of had.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 19, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Are there any games/movies/books (besides neo-nazi poo poo, I guess) that portray any of the Nazis as sympathetic characters, or even the heroes? Like, yeah, Nazis are fuckin' terrible, but people aren't all one thing, all the time.

BJ is essentially murdering peacetime soldiers and policemen for personal revenge against an enemy that only vaguely still exists. This game is kinda depressing.

E: Maybe a WWII movie about some heroic Wehrmacht soldiers or something?

Quite a bit of Europe had something similar happen to it. It was called "Soviet Union". Lithuanian partisans fought Soviets till 1955 (then we ran out of partisans). It's not like Soviets occupied and everything went business as usual: people were getting shot and sent to Siberia, farms were collectivized, censorship was rampant, and so on. Nazi occupation would have been far worse. Hell, I'm surprised that Polish people still exist in alt 1960s.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kurieg posted:

At least they don't have to deal with Lysenkoism?

"Wikipedia" posted:

Many other countries of the Eastern Bloc accepted Lysenkoism as the official "new biology" as well; however the acceptance of Lysenkoism was not uniform in communist countries. In Poland, all geneticists except for Wacław Gajewski[5] followed Lysenkoism. Even though Gajewski was not allowed contacts with students, he was allowed to continue his scientific work at the Warsaw botanical garden. Lysenkoism was then rapidly rejected starting from 1956[5] and modern genetics research departments were formed, including the first department of genetics headed by Wacław Gajewski, which was started at the Warsaw University in 1958.

Lithuania was absorbed as part of the USSR proper, so yeah, we/they had to deal with it, too, probably even more so than Pact countries.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Russia gets to be the butt of every Call of Duty wannabe as the big, scary not!Commie empire that's totally going to launch a first strike against the United States in the year of our lord 20XX, at least until video game companies decide to stop worrying about pissing off China and we get two straight decades of evil Chinese aggressors launching first strikes against the United States.

Oh you naiive idealistic fool! We already had Venesuella (and the rest) bombing the US because lol in CoD Ghosts, Best Koreans and PMCs in Advanced Warfare, and Bad Chinese Coup vs. Good Chinese Loyalists in BF4, and CSAT in Arma3 (basically Russians). If anything, the enemy selection is getting more silly.

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding the "heroic Wehrmacht", I remember a little anecdote my grandmother used to tell: she lived through both the occupation of my country (I'm Czech) by Nazis in 1938 and its "liberation" by Soviets in 1945. To the end of her life she liked to remark on how the Nazis behaved like perfect gentlemen, disciplined and very careful not to hurt civilians. Now Russians, they raped, pillaged, stole and burned. Of course, the Nazi takeover was peaceful since there was a forced surrender, but it's not like there were any defenses here at the end of the war; hell, the Allies had to hold back and avoid the countries east of Germany since they had a deal with Stalin to let him "liberate" this place.

I remember something that grandparents probably told me about the Germans being all clean and propper, well waxed jackboots and what not, meanwhile the Soviets were dirty, "going through swamps and muck", with the net result being that Russians won due to being more hardcore.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HGH posted:

I think I get what you mean, if only because one of the soldiers in the episode mentioned his kids back at home. We're still killing people with families and such, but the Nazis are such bad guys that we're kinda forced to ignore that part. Horrors of war and all that.
Maybe Downfall fits the bill for what you're looking for? I don't really remember much of it anymore.

Well, military and the police are legitimate targets for the Resistance. He's not a terrorist targetting civvies.

Oh, and Resistance exists even without BJ - the crazy scotsman got arrested three months ago and the Circle HQ is still there.

Just because you occupy a country and declare the war over doesn't mean that the locals are going to be happy about it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I just remembered that author I was thinking of earlier! You want something that portrays Nazis in a heroic light? Then you should check out Watch on the Rhine by Tom Kratman!

Rejuvinated Waffen-SS lead humanity to victory against alien invaders and the dread specter of environmentalism, truly a must-read for the ages.

Posleen? I've heard of those! I think. And if I've heard of those, that poo poo poo poo must have gone mainstream. How the gently caress did the book which praises Waffen SS get that big?

citybeatnik posted:

There's a book called, I want to say Fatherland? Murder mystery involving a SS investigator in a world where the Nazis won who's trying to solve this conspiracy of why on earth all of these former officers and what not keep getting killed off. It's because the Nazis are purging the remaining folks who knew about the Final Solution in order to finish rewriting history.

Hey, I read that too. Berlin is described basically like in the game.

englerp posted:

Not quite one of the threem but there's this Stargate AU timeline_
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/stellar-reich-stargate-au-timeline.305012/

Jesus, how long is that one?!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

1stGear posted:

Inglorious Basterds kind of touched on the "Nazis are people and the Allies could be fuckers" thing with the sergeant who gets bludgeoned to death after refusing to give up troop positions and the kid in the bar who's first son was just born and tries to make a deal with Brad Pitt before Pitt reneges and murders him.

At the same time, most of that movie's Nazis were clearly bad people and most of its Allies were good people so it didn't go whole hog into the Clean Wehrmacht.

How much does Fury play into that?

In an unrelated matter, Inglorious and Fury seem like such contrasting roles for Pitt.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

Having the Shoah summed up as a "rather large anti Jewish issue" is mindblowing.

It was anti other. Anyone who didn't fit the state-mandated paragon of perfection, or who didn't subscribe to the state-mandated societal norms. And to alleviate any suspicion you might have thrown your way, you would rat out your friends and coworkers, leading to this paranoid totalitarian situation where everyone's spying on one another.

I'd give examples, but the game'll touch on that later so I don't want to jump the bullet.

Yeah, what people seemed to forget is that Nazis were very much against people who weren't Germans or didn't look like an idealised version of one. BJ, however, only lacks a glorious mane of blonde hair, since he already has eyes as blue as mountain lakes and a jaw to end all jaws.

Like I said, it's very weird that the Polish are living unmolested like that. On the other hand, they probably survived for gameplay purposes or maybe Deathshead hosed around with Squarestache, maybe something changed in the process of conquering the world. But the jews and the romani are all up in smoke by 1960s, that for sure.

And aside from "look like super model or else" angle, what 'beatnik is also a good example of life in Soviet Union.

For that matter, a joke!

Three inmates in a Siberian camp are chatting.
"So, why are you here?"
The first guy:
"I told a joke"
Then second guy:
"I head a joke"
Third guy:
"Laziness. Heard a joke a joke in a party, thought about telling the KGB on the way home, told myself "gently caress it, I'll do it tomorrow". Got arrested in the morning"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

That is such an enjoyable episode. Pro click

You know, Civilization V shows Prora as this cool, fuckhuge resort that looks closer to Imperial architecture or the massive building in Alt Berlin than, well, a row of mid cold war Soviet apartment blocks.

Also, "Goering though that small rooms weaken the people". Sure, him not fitting in a small room had nothing to do with it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Citizen, report to unit 1138 in the "Sea Foam Green" section for your compulsory beachside vacation.

E: Prora in Civ V as a wonder made me laugh real hard the first time I saw it.

Yeah, I'm so angry about it today. Here's the Civ V wonder image;

Look at how grand and majestic it looks. Meanwhile, in real life: a lengthy row of what Soviet apartments will like in 1960s. Grrr.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, I'm a bad person and the only cultural victory I achieved in Civ V was autocracy. Probably because of teenage rebelion and anarchistic tendencies I got a fascination with Imperium of Man and that never went away.

Tho the problem with simulating different political or government forms in games is that they largely depend on game devs view, so most of the time you end up with United Planets of Spacemerica, because it's the most efficient (gameplay wise) choice. Hell, even in Endless Space, the only ways to increase happyness is to increase consumerism and to release control over civil life, and eventually give planets self control like in a federation. Course, that's all flavor text and federated planets still obediently build dreadnoughts and factories. Still, it's kind of silly when the same stuff applies to Space Aztec Birds, Shattered Hivemind Crystals and Always Hostile Cyborg Bug Warrior Swarm.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

A better "fascist wonder" would be the EUR district. Or maybe the Volkshalle.

Then again, order could probably have something better than The Kremlin... like something actual commies built.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kadorhal posted:

I'd guess it's more that Hitler just didn't give a gently caress, the guy was pretty much completely off his rocker the entire war.

Keep in mind, he was abjectly opposed to using chemical weapons against the soldiers or citizens of opposing nations because, even if most of his war record from WWI was forged, he did at least see first-hand the effects it had on people - and then he turned right around and had the concentration camps using them to execute their prisoners, because he didn't view them as human beings. It'd be far from the only weird or stupid decision he made during the war.

Destroying the untermensch and the unworthy was kind of a big deal for Nazis, you know. That's why I hate various historical question like "well, what if Hitler hadn't killed jews?" "what if he had been friendly to the occupied Russian people" and so on, because that wouldn't be very Nazi of him.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Prenton posted:

A nice touch: those Nazi bastards have metricated us and made us drive on the wrong side of the road.

I wonder if the street sighs follow a German pattern, 'cos the green looks very much American.

I got my first PC in 1997 and it was a PoS even for 1997 (my uncle in the US shipped to us, wrapped in cookies and instant cheeze'n'noodles and what not). Of the classical FPS's, I only ever played Quake 2... in 2006 or so. Never Doom, never Quake, probably not even touched Blood myself. My first seriously played FPs was likely SWAT 3. I did get some Wolf 3D in me in about, oh, 2012. How?

Through this. Twenty years after release, you can play it in your browser. Technology marches on, boys!

On to stuff of more spoilerous manner:

Who wants to bet that the hub will get attacked and we'll find Max standing over Nazi corpses or something? Because I sure have that feeling

You see the car keys in London? I bet that's a Quake 3 rocket launcher right there

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Llab posted:

There's a machine gun hidden behind a statue like two rooms over from the dungeon room that makes the Nightmare a lot easier to deal with.

E: it's the hallway after Lazyfire goes to check the Hitler portrait that doesn't do anything.

that Mp40 helps a lot in browser Wolf3D

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

You sure it's not also the first level of Wolf3D anyway? Cuz I certainly remember it being reminiscent of the first level what with all the jail cells, the first guard being dead in your cell and so forth. Though I would love to ask any Wolfenstein veterans, during the "Nightmare" in this game, did they redub the original audio from the original games with similar lines or something? Cuz seriously it's pretty hilarious to play it.

It's the Wolf3D map, I played it this week! I'd say the sounds are a bit different, tho, and the enemies don't take that many bullets to kill in whatever difficulty level is before nightmare. It's probably adjusted for being actually able to aim.

One thing I find fun about those old FPS games (when playing them today) is that you don't really need to aim, besides pointing gun at the general direction of the enemy. Makes for some fun action.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thought I'd give people wanting to play the game a heads up, it's ~15 bucks over at Nuuvem.

Nuuvem posted:

REGION LOCKED: This content may not be played in Germany, Austria, Israel and Japan

Oh gently caress YOU, Steam doesn't say anything about that. While it refuses to admit that Shogun 2 was ever sold on Steam, I can clearly see Wolfenstein costing 3K yen. drat you, website, drat you.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

Had this game on my wishlist for a while and someone picked it up on Steam while it was on sale. I'm going to Germany in a few months so I guess I need to play it before I head over there! I didn't see the notification for Japan or anywhere else though, just Germany.

Might be just that site. Steam would let me buy it, but I'm not spending 3K yen on it, since I'd rather spend that money on miniatures!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'd like to once again point out that BJ has already fought robot Hitler, a resurrected evil knight and stuff from a parallel dimension. He's already seen everything the world can throw at him, and everything another world can throw at him. So Nazi Judean artefacts? Eh, business as usual.

Oh, and I love it how Nazis have gone from "this is Jew science, it's wrong" to "this is Jew super occult artefacts, got to get in on that action".

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kurieg posted:

If the nazis had managed to weaponize the horrifying blue time cockroach ghost dimension things would conceivably be worse than they are now, yes.

...or Death Knights, yes. Though I didn't really play Return to the Castle Wolfenstein, since by the time I tried it, it was ugly and controls seemed unfriendly.

In essence, I liked the old as gently caress browserstein 3D more.

You can say that Deathshead succeeded because finally latched on to something that didn't have a will of it's own: mad science! Unless the mold turns out of be Cthulhu, like someone already said.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's nothing some SCIENCE! cant fix.

Or paranormal stuff. You see how ripped he is for a 50yo? The only thing that happened after he clocked in 50 is gaining the ability to go guns akimbo.

I'm half convinced that all the stuff he did affected him in such a way that, like an ork, he now grows bigger and stronger as he ages/fights.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Strobe posted:

That's a bit incorrect. He has a moment of weakness after you murder the first nazi with the pistol.

One. :colbert:

Must have been the rush of finally killing Nazis again.

And I wouldn't say that he was a vegetable entirely. He seems to remember his time in the hospital pretty well, just being totally paralyzed.

I actually thought that those black out he mentioned had something to do with the newspaper reports of the serial killer, like BJ blacking out for a murder rampage, like werewolf.

Glad to see Wolfenstein is game that wouldn't sink so low.

Now, excuse me, I have to take a moment to deal with the reality of an FPS series getting better with times.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

WirelessPillow posted:

and Granny clearly knows what to do when the time comes to unpleasantness, queue the music.

I thought it was strange, but wow, that's a new way to look at it :stare:

EDIT: Sure explains how she starts capping fools on their way to the train.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I took the plunge and bought Wolfenstein. Hope this machine works.

So, Annia's grandparents go arrested as mass murderers, eh?

Oh, and do those helicopters run on Jew Magic? Probably gonna find out myself!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Yeah um...not gonna lie but

The next part really makes me uncomfortable to go through. Which is good because I don't want to be comfortable for that experience so I can't wait to see what everybody else is gonna think of it.
I really love the fact they went all the way with it and again like someone said, keeping with the futuristic pulp schlock of Nazi Future with clearly fictional stuff like their Nazi Science, while at the same time keeping you constantly reminded that they loving did this poo poo with disturbing accounts and places like this next level coming up.

Well, the Beth PR dudes dodges the gently caress out of the question, saying, hey, it's giant robots, robot dogs, it's not real, it can't hurt ya!

The developers have something else to say.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Although, yeah, the lack-of-atrophy thing is kind of weird. :v:

To be fair, he not only maintained his muscle, he also retained his youthful good looks. I think :iiam: and we should leave it like that. Any real explanation is going to be lamer than what we dream up.

Night10194 posted:

That's one of the weirdest things about Nazi related media. I remember watching the Zero Punctuation on Velvet Assassin once and the reviewer complaining about how unrealistically cacklingly evil the Dirlewanger Battalion was, and how silly it would be to have a unit of penal troops you just sort of unleashed on local populations to kill, rape and steal in revenge for partisan activity. Except they did that! They did that exact thing! That unit existed to do that! The Nazis thought that was a good idea! Every time you hit something and go 'Man, no-one would be that evil.' if you look it up, the Nazis probably did it.

To be fair, I would find it hard to swallow, too, had I not read about it in Wiki once. The whole thing has a surrealistic apocalyptic feeling to it, a drunk sociopatch on top of a tank driving unwashed mass of troops in torn uniform before him to kill, maim and murder. Only lacks a whip.

Cythereal posted:

Or occasionally the Americans. US Navy officers defending Kriegsmarine leadership at Nuremburg for unrestricted submarine warfare against civilian targets because the US did exactly the same thing to Japan comes to mind.

Well, at least they were self aware about that part.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Another thing about Adolf vs. Mao or Stalin (who managed to rack in bigger kill counts) is that Adolf has the destruction of slightly different peoples as on of his top goals, and made an industry out of it. Sure, there were Soviet labor camps (boy, don't we Lithuanians know about those or cattle car rides), they weren't exactly organized destruction camps (tho they were deadly).

Is it strange that I liked Kar98K the most of all of Wolf 09 weapons?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

Judging by all the electrical arcs the energy source is probably "Tesla" and given that the man was basically a real-life mad scientist and that Deathshead clearly learned from the best means that it could well be miniaturized black-holes or an interdimensional siphon.

The idea of what Tesla could have accomplished had circumstances been better for him is already pretty scary, the idea of what Telsa could accomplish when he is a Nazi called Deathshead in a Wolfenstein game is moderately pants-making GBS threads.

The first letter in the game mentions nuclear wolf tanks. I know this because I just played past the first and Asylum levels, collecting poo poo all day long.

Apparently Wyatt replaces health upgrades with armor upgrades :smith:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

For my money, and as I keep saying, the health up is a huge boost. Armor is either pretty easy to find or takes a few seconds of searching to locate, and you don't necessarily need it. Health, though, is a bit more rare and you need to keep a good level so you can take a couple shots here and there. Even careful players are going to get caught unawares at times. The other benefit is that if you lose some health it will eventually regenerate to what I thought was the nearest 20 milestone, but I hardly pay attention to those numbers in the middle of a fight.

The problem with the Armor increases is that you are still hard capped at 100, and you'll come to a point where grabbing the 5 point helmet becomes a waste because it's now worth 10 points, or the ten point robot piece is now worth 20 and you only need a small bit. If you know the game you can budget and figure what you can and can't pick up at any particular time without hurting your available supply in the next encounter if things go bad, but new players are better off taking the health upgrades as it basically gives you the opportunity to walk around with an overcharge that doesn't deplete over time. You get way more out of each medical item you find if you can safely grab large med packs without worrying about getting an overcharge that will deplete before the next fight.

By the way, mr. Lazy, can you spoil me something? When the game was announced (and had this awesome, awesome trailer) I was afraid that it would end up with timetravel and erasing all the 14 years of Nazis, like in Timeshift and, well, every boring time travel plot. Please tell me that the game ends with the world having to deal with after effects of worldwide Nazi domination and not lazy time travel

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What? Gaijin is a normal word, short for gaikokujin, person/man from another country. Well, at least I'm not offended when they call me that, because I'm foreign as all gently caress. I'd say Japan is a country where you can relax and do stuff, because gently caress it, you're white (or maybe black), you're as weird to them as they're to you, so you can hardly shame yourself, because anything you do must be something that foreigners do. Asians don't get a free pass, tho.

Though I guess those other things might become a problem if you want to work and live here for an extended amount of time. On the other hand, you're not alone, and expats band together. And you can see a lot of foreigners in Kyoto or Tokyo.

Nihonjin is just means "Japanese person", but you should still slap them (unless it's an actual Japanese person). loving weebs. Knew one fat virgin who came to Japan expecting to get a girlfriend because Japanese chicks dig white di...dudes. Yeah, they dig the ones that aren't unwashed otakus, you dingus.

I'd also object to the "lol, they used wood for planes before WWII" because no poo poo, interwar period. Soviets had some wooden planes even during the war. It's not like Bf 109 and Me 269 popped out of nowhere. Massive innovation during the time.
And for oxen?

Wikipedia posted:

The German Army entered World War II with 514,000 horses,[13] and over the course of the war employed, in total, 2.75 million horses and mules;[16] the average number of horses in the Army reached 1.1 million.[26]

JcDent
May 13, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm still disappointed I have to wait to get a capture card to do a proper Darkness LP. That game needs a PC release.

Darkness 2 is already a proper PC release.

Arelon posted:

But how many oxen would it take to cart BJ around an airfield?

Which timeline?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

So once again, this may be a tough level for some people even if it is a video game doing a very sanitized version of a forced labor camp. As far as I can remember this is the first major release to put you in this situation aside from I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream. I always found that weird because movies, books and TV have all addressed concentration camps and the Holocaust for decades, but games seem to shy away from it. There's probably lots of reasons behind that reluctance ranging from corporations not wanting to seem like they are trying to make a profit off of a genocide to game companies not knowing how to even approach a concentration camp level and make it "fun" to play. I guess most games are pretty content in just sending you up against the Nazis and letting your history classes remind you why it's OK to kill hundreds of them at a time.

I think Medal of Honor could have tackled it back in the day. Not so much today, just look at Homefront.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

BJ has fought robot hitlers, inhabited a different dimension full of zombie nazis, controlled the very elements with magic, gone against everything from vampires to werewolves and infused himself with like a dozen different kinds of magic.

It's part of why the 'It's not supernatural bupkis' is such a great line. Because no, in Wolfenstein BJ has fought a dozen different kinds of supernatural entities, and used 'technology' powered by magic a dozen times.

The fact that stabbing him six or so times doesn't kill him isn't that strange, even if you're the type of person who is like 'but who cares if it's cool, it doesn't make sense!'

But seriously he survived because he just hates Nazi's that much. That's why when Nazis were suddenly able to be killed he managed to awaken from his coma and start shooting and stabbing just fine. Once he kills every last Nazi he might manage to die.

BJ has faced the worst this world, underworld and netherworld has thrown at him... he still hates Nazis the most. He can't be stopped, he's the spirit of the century.

The century of killing Nazis :unsmigghh:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'd say the camp entrance is the most impressive part, more than corpse crawling.
I'd also play a game Ba... you, know, the African resistance guy.

I will add that most games have this false conflict between science and magic, because wizards and wizardry come from magic. They know what rituals produce what spells, so they clearly have the reproducible effects nailed down. Plus, they more or less know the effects of each spell (no "cast fireball once, light a candle, cast fireball second time, the city exploded), they have some sort of measure for inner power needed to cast spells, and, at least in Forgotten Realm, they know where magic comes from.

And then you have oWoD, where technocrazy is basically "freezing" magic into technology, to make mass production of the safest of the spells. The phone works because everybody believes that the technical innards of the phone are what makes it work, thus working as sort of erzac ritual of sorts. At least that's how I understood it, anyways.

Arcanum does it well, I think, with gun bound demon explaining to unlookers why the gun exploded and why it was a bad idea to try and do it (also works to explain why you don't have mages with apocalyptic blunderbusses running around).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

You try stabbing something vital through 6+ inches of rock hard muscles. Mr. The Knife was doing good by drawing blood.

Well, that too. Also, gameplay and story integration: this whole stabbing thing brings BJ down to 5 points and I thing he starts regenerating once he pulls out the knife.

Oh, and those corpses burning chambers reminds me of the room with the coal loader back in the prison level...

And there are two wooden lawn chairs next to the chamber BJ was supposed to be burned in. Klaus and Fritz might be warming marshmellows over corpses, because Nazis.

...and I'm going to say that technically it's not true that you don't get anything from the sidequests. Killing the knife gives you a golden dagger collectible while the medicine nets you a letter by German lesbian intellectual who was at the wrong end of on crackdown, had to make a deal and marry a man, gave birth to a son, then he and her husband were arrested for statue 175 (no homo law), while her girlfriend and her son watched.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

To be fair the Black Sun stuff could just as easily have been interdimensional aliens as it could have been magic :colbert:

I'd say that Black Sun was more science than magic. Alternate dimensions are more science than magic in most works.

BJ must be the most jaded man in the world at this point, tho.

"BJ! Nazis are making demon cyborgs and cyborg aliens!"

"So I better take more ammo, I guess".

JcDent
May 13, 2013

J.theYellow posted:

What he says to BJ that he calls "good luck," בהצלחה, "b'hatzlacha", literally means "with success." But "mazel tov" is more literally "good luck," except that's used in Yiddish in place of "congratulations".

There's one word you missed, it's the one the he uses to call BJ when he says "with success". I don't remember it, but in my defense, I don't speak Yiddish.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The thread moves fast because there's a ton of stuff to discuss in this extremely cool game.

Also, note the little bit about Frau Engel not allowing any sort of religious observance unless it is Catholic. A nice subtle dig at the fact that the Church stayed unfortunately silent and didn't act much (in an official capacity, there were individual priests that sheltered people and quieter attempts to curb the bloodletting) against the Nazis or the Holocaust in WWII.

Of course, there were also individual priests who were pretty loving on board with the Nazis, like Father Charles Caughlin here in the US. He was basically 1930s pro-fascist catholic Rush Limbaugh, a loudmouthed radio personality who built a huge fortune on it that he used to build the Shrine of the Little Flower Cathedral here in Detroit (I went to Shrine's catholic junior high when I was a kid) and openly spoke out in support of the Nazis' actions on Krystallnacht. What I'm saying is Caughlin was basically human garbage and a disgrace to Catholicism, Detroit, and America.

...and the there's the Church of the Third Reich (Protestant Reich Church?). We haven't seen it, but it was mentioned in at least two letters up to this point. Adolf didn't love Jesus that much. Not as much as he hated "bibelforchers", tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I won't defend them that.

Then again, basically everybody who handed the chancellorship over to Hitler thought they could control him. Very few people realized the whole country would go completely off the rails like it did, and most were just all "what can I get out of this?"

...kind of like the mob hiring the Joker in The Dark Knight, if they'd known they were opening that big a box of crazy they wouldn't have touched it.

Speaking of which, where is hitler in this game? Dead? Is Dethhead the new leader? The resistance sure treats him like the de facto leader of the Nazi empire.

...again I chime in with my bullship, but the Fuhrer is mentioned (not by name) in newspaper clippings. They probably had to do it because, well, you kill Deathshead, but how about the original Nazi? Would Detract from the ending, I guess.

• Locked thread