Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And it's on! I was pretty hyped about a followup to Wolfenstein 2009 and while this really isn't one, it's still a pretty good game. And good single-player focused PC shooters aren't exactly common.
I have quite a lot of reservation about some of the mechanics and the generally schizophrenic design but we'll get to that later.

edit: THERE'S NOT ENOUGH GRENADES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing on no, the game's actually going to tackle some pretty serious stuff - and yeah, some of the dialogue is incredibly hammy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I went with "saving" Fergus. I imagine most people did given the amount of characterization in the prologue; then again, the path I took kind of implies it's been the wrong choice and I haven't played through the other one (maybe that does it too?).
Plus the accent, man. That accent. There's really only one character coming up that's voiced better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There just isn't enough grenades.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit, as much as I like the worldbuilding they've done in this game, the incinerator room with the controls on the inside was testing my suspension of disbelief a fair bit. It's nice to see the Super Soldier model being fairly close to what they looked like in RtCW, though.
A couple of little details: the dog food you occassionally see on the floor is actually edible and a reference to Wolfenstein 3D, where health pickups were trays with food. It restores a tiny amount of health.
Also, the knives and specifically throwing them is really useful almost all the way through the game, which is kinda funny since in reality it's actually fairly hard to kill someone with a thrown knife, you more or less have to hit an artery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The way this game handles the themes of its predecessors is pretty interesting. For example. In one case, we hear all about how brutal the life under Nazis is, but here's the first time we get to experience it. It's also one of the very, very few games that dare to include concentration camps.
The analogy with Tarantino making you question the mechanics behind mindless violence to which you're desensitized works pretty well, I think.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There was a pretty big sale on it last week. The biggest discount so far, I believe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And it'd be even more amazing if the game actually GAVE YOU ENOUGH GREN-
...Okay, you get it by now. Lazyfire will probably explain this at some point, but that leaning and cover? Really important. Not just for you, for enemies too: the game manages to integrate a lot of design mechanics of a cover shooter, and that makes grenades really important, since it's just about the only way to smoke enemies out of their hidey holes. Now, there's a whole perk tree dedicated to grenades - and given the game's (lack of) placement of those, it's next to impossible to max out unless you're intentionally for it right from the start.
I think my TNO experience could be summed up as "This is really neat, love the storytelling, why don't they give me explosives, wow really cool location, why don't they give me explosives, this is going for way too loving long, why don't they give me GRENADES."
Don't get me wrong, it's a very good game and easily better than about any other shooter that came out in 2014, but it's not without flaws and those get really grating. Kind of like me bitching about them here. And it won't stop.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 5, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly sure I know what you're talking about and it's something I'm intending to whine about at length when we get there. Still, the game DOESN'T GIVE YOU ENOUGH GR-
Basically, the game has some amazing ideas about guns like the whole dualwield anything deal, but there's a bunch of pretty big issues with the gunplay.

edit: No, really. For some reason constatly wishing I had a grenade is what I remember most from the entire game.

edit zwei: VVV Not sure about auto, but I seem to recall leaning being pretty drat useful in System Shock 2.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 5, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Antistar01 posted:

Something I really liked about this game; you can choose to enable subtitles just for the non-English lines. Related to that is another thing I love about this game; Germans actually speaking German, rather than actors hamming it up "I see nuzzink!" style in English.
Not sure if I'd agree on that one. A big part of Wolfenstein's charm is the cheesiness and constantly hearing "Zat man iz a zpy!" and "Zurrender, Amerikan!" plays a huge role there. Then again, the decision to make them actually use German fits with the more serious story this game tries to tell so it's not that bad, I guess. I'm still rather conflicted about the direction this game's story took, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

Levels don't drag on seemingly forever and you are always being presented with a new challenge or situation.
I can think of at least two that - at least in my opinion - definitely do, but I'll point it out when we get there. Most of the game the level design is amazing.
edit: VVV Yup. There's also a little special hate-filled place in my heart for the bridge but that's the age-old issue of platforming in first person.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 9, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could've sworn '09 references them in its intro.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's probably the 18 and 88 stuff neo-Nazis cling to they were bothered with. Germany (understandably) is very sensitive about these things.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 11, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I can sort of understand where you're coming from; the torture scene shocked me pretty hard when I was first playing this. Placing it before we're too invested in the story and characters (which we will, most of the game is really well written) plays its role too: it's there for the shock value, similarly to the concentration camp level (which I honestly found way more disturbing but that's because I've visited a couple of those sites and it's an experience one doesn't forget), and that shock value is meant to be a wake-up call: forget what you think you know about Wolfenstein, this one is going to be dark. It also forces the player to deal with playing a protagonist who's capable of some terrible poo poo and is completely unrepentant about it.

Admittedly, I do tend to overthink FPS plots a fair bit, as seen before. really need to get back to my LP one of these days.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

Not to say dual-wielding the guns we haven isn't mad fun, but the big gently caress-off weapons were always part of the Wolfenstein charm.
And that's exactly one of the issues I have with this game's gunplay. Its big special weapon isn't big or special. Give me a corpsefist over that poo poo any day.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It would be if there WERE MORE GREN-
Really, this is pretty much the perfect "first level", shows off a lot of mechanics and design that's going to be with us for the rest of the game without revealing too much - a lot of games blow their load so to speak way too early but here we get a taste of what's to come and know it'll get better.
edit: VVV Yup. Of course, some of those outliers don't work exactly as intended.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 12, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

What's with the grenade hate? In sections where you actually need* them they are scattered liberally around and between those they a a limited tactical resource.

*you don't need them but they sure do help.
Long story short, I didn't get the grenade perks in the first half of the game and it's impossible to do it in the second one. They remain amazingly useful for the entire game even if you're a less explosive-happy player than I am (which, if people who played Borderlands with me are to be trusted, is just about anyone) and in a lot of the fights they're the only way to get around annoying cover layouts.
Basically they give you this awesome toy with oh-so-many uses. And then they take it away just when you learn to rely on it. Difficulty, sure, but it's frustrating as hell.

Or maybe I'm an explosive-obsessed psychopath. If anyone who had the misfortune to play borderlands with me etc. etc.

edit: VVV That too. But, y'know, primarily what I said.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 12, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cryohazard posted:

Does Nazi Cougar Hellbitch ever reappear, or is that just an odd setpiece to make you feel (more) uncomfortable?
Yes.
Should be noted that her little test is about the extent of Nazi psychology understanding.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was just thinking of that scene myself. There's a point to the sex scene and the whole "relationship in a bleak future" concept is played out pretty well... Later.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

Assumedly, William J. "Blow Job" Blaskonazis killed the entirety of the SS Bondagegruppen.
And funnily enough, unless he had a massive plastic surgery that, among other things, somehow increased his height, that was a different BJ.
edit: On the other hand, his TNO incarnation looks a lot more like the Wolf3D one, ie the game it doesn't recognize as canon. Oh well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 17, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know what makes just about every challenge in this level way, way easier? Like the shotgun room, or all the Nazis conveniently clumping up during the escape sequence? GRENADES.

edit: On the plus side, we just met the best character. She may be a one-dimensional gimmick but goddamnit I love Thekla.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 18, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

I am looking forward to learning more about completing a PhD by the age of 16 :psyduck:

Let's put it this way: she's a fitting counterpart to BJ.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It is incomfortable, yes. It's intended to be this way. It's ye olde "terrorist or freedom fighter" issue.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Its a really good game, though I feel enemies got a bit too bullet spongey for my liking towards the end.
You know what would help with that?

Anyway, that's pretty much the same way I played; I effectively despise cover mechanics and avoid them when possible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Quite a bit of Europe had something similar happen to it. It was called "Soviet Union". Lithuanian partisans fought Soviets till 1955 (then we ran out of partisans). It's not like Soviets occupied and everything went business as usual: people were getting shot and sent to Siberia, farms were collectivized, censorship was rampant, and so on. Nazi occupation would have been far worse. Hell, I'm surprised that Polish people still exist in alt 1960s.
Yeah, now here's something I'm kinda bitter about. Nazis get poo poo on a lot and they definitely deserve it, but no one talks about the atrocities commited by the USSR. Hell, Russians still consider Stalin - the worst mass murderer of the 20th century - a goddamn hero.

Regarding the "heroic Wehrmacht", I remember a little anecdote my grandmother used to tell: she lived through both the occupation of my country (I'm Czech) by Nazis in 1938 and its "liberation" by Soviets in 1945. To the end of her life she liked to remark on how the Nazis behaved like perfect gentlemen, disciplined and very careful not to hurt civilians. Now Russians, they raped, pillaged, stole and burned. Of course, the Nazi takeover was peaceful since there was a forced surrender, but it's not like there were any defenses here at the end of the war; hell, the Allies had to hold back and avoid the countries east of Germany since they had a deal with Stalin to let him "liberate" this place.

Guess what I'm saying is that while I'd never deny the atrocities of the Nazi regime, it most definitely wasn't the only one and hey, Germany got its lessen: till today they're at least presenting themselves as one of the most human rights-sensitive countries in Europe. Russia, on the other hand...

edit: Oh, yeah, Lysenko's genius. It got here too, although we just part of the Pact and a satellite country. It got the classical scienctific treatment of being openly endorsed and privately mocked; apparently the main problem of trying to study anything biology-related (provided you even got that far, see: education under a totalitarian regime) was how to reconcile your results with a paradigm they had to and in no way could fit in.

edit: VVV Well, considering this year's developments in Ukraine, I'm not sure who's the butt of the joke there. Whatever. Politics don't belong here.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 19, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Should also remember that the grunts are propaganda'd out of their minds. When the Nazis invaded Poland, the soldiers believed the German population at Gdansk was being persecuted; same when they were rolling here: there's records of German soldiers distributing free food around Prague because they've been told the country suffers from famine and they're there to make things better. Mind you, at the same time, officers were raiding confectioneries because those had a much better selection than in the Vaterland...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gargamel Gibson posted:

BTW anilEhilated, you can shut up about the grenades now. We get it.

Hey, I think I posted whole three times without mentioning them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Basically, if you weren't Aryan, you were exterminated. The guy talking about how his grandmother saying the Nazis were gentleman and the Soviets were monsters really missed the point of the Nazis- the only reason his grandma got off easy was because she was racially acceptable. Whatever the Soviets did to the Czechs, the Germans visited upon them first.
That'd be me and I mentioned that specifically in the Wehrmacht discussion, talking about their behavior during the invasion. No question of Nazi atrocities here - Grandma had a lot to tell about those too, having done forced labor in Germany. To clarify, I'm in no way supporting or sympathizing with the Nazis.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

image is broken
That's how ugly it is.
I honestly don't think anything Civ can come up with can piss me off more than they did by including Stalin in Civ IV.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
North Korea for playable civ!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's face it, the only other thing I can think of associated with fascism that'd make a wonder is Mussolini's train timetables. It is kinda difficult, really, fascist countries usually tend to focus on statues as opposed to buildings for their monuments.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Of course it didn't, trains running late is an universal constant: man was a dictator, not a demigod.

But hey, there's some degree of fiction involved, it's not like the USSR had anything to do with actual communism either.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 20, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Hitler himself wasn't exactly the Aryan ideal to start with...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Allies didn't show a lot of political forethought in that era. "Hey, let's let Hitler grab a couple of countries, he'll definitely stop there being the rational fellow he is." "Hey, let's allow Stalin to take over half of Europe, no way he's going to establish a reign of terror that's going to ruin everything east of Berlin for the next fifty years."

edit: VVV See, the issue I'd have with that kind of reasoning is you're still sacrificing folks in order to appease. I suppose the applause was for figuring out a way to sacrifice someone else.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 22, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Prenton posted:

A nice touch: those Nazi bastards have metricated us and made us drive on the wrong side of the road.
This is actually real, they did that in conquered countries. We used to drive on the left until 1938.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, the LKW. It's not a bad gimmick weapon, but after Wolf '09, well, it does feel rather wimpy. It's decently useful but nothing amazing all throughout the game (as opposed to GRENADES) and but really, as the token weirdass sci-fi weapon, it's just so underwhelming.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

You need to get all the upgrades for it and by the end of the game you can one-shot some of the toughest enemies around or clear out a number of armored guys in a matter of seconds. It's really great for those purposes at the very least.
Oh, I'm not denying its utility, it just lacks a certain... bang factor. The upgrades turn it into an amazing tool, but the game kind of needs a BFG.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair he does have a point, LASER is an acronym that happens to be in English so they definitely wouldn't call it that. Besides, Wolf '09 had a perfectly servicable raygun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Atta boy.
Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who was being driven crazy by LKW reloading. It's even worse when you consider that after a couple upgrades you'll be running out of ammo in two or three shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Deathshead is probably perfectly happy doing sadistic science stuff and leaves running the state to some other schmuck. I don't really see the man as a grey eminence type, with all the portraits, statues and whatnot, so I imagine he's just a general with a lot of influence.

• Locked thread