Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first two videos (already saw the second in the sandcastle) have almost got me to the point where I want to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And this is the point where the game starts to get :stare:

Are all of the overcharge pickups food items?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Saying this kind of sounds like one of those annoying "Wait until you see what happens next!" posts but poo poo gets crazy dark sometimes.

I mean, you already saw just what Deathshead did. This game swerved straight into disturbing territory before the prologue was done.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Affi posted:

Uh. So I was adding New Order to my steam wishlist. Thinking "Hey, maybe a buddy will gift it to me for christmas" getting around my "I don't usually buy FPS games" policy.

I've already bought it. It's sitting in my library. When did I buy it? This is weird. Installing it now though because it looks like a great game.

You never got it. It just installed itself.

It's spreading.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inferior posted:

I loved New Order too when I played it. As Lazyfire commented, it's such a weird game for 2014: a big blockbuster that has no DLC or multiplayer or co-op, a first person shooter that's more than 6 hours long, a story that treats crazy pulp schlock like it was actual history. Reminds me of the Metro games, but with slightly fewer silly accents.

I think it's a good sign for the gaming market. There's a lot of cynicism related to the spat of Call of Duty and Battlefield clones and half-finished games being shoved out the door thanks to pre-orders and day patches guaranteeing sales, or on-disc DLC choking money out of gamers. New Order is proof that making a creative single player experience is still profitable for big studios.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Good to know I have some influence on what people play.

If anyone else is watching this and wants to play along, Steam has the game on sale for sub $20 right now. I think that's a better deal than the just finished Autumn sale.

Hnnnnnnnnnngggggg

Must save for camera, must save for camera.....

gently caress IT

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

You could always play Super Wolfenstein HD which I was sort of thinking of doing as part of the LP at some point because it's loving hilarious.

quote:

This game was made for the PewDiePie Jam

You monster.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, let's see if I can get started on my own playthrough....

Edit: Doesn't run too well on mine. The gameplay is playable enough, but the in-engine cutscenes go at a glacial pace with the audio up to 10 seconds ahead depending on the length of them.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 8, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Ouch. Is that now two people who have been enticed into buying the game that can't really manage to get it to run on their builds correctly? I honestly hate seeing that.

I went to record a couple more videos this weekend and ended up having to re-do on of the missions a couple times due to freak occurrences. Because replaying levels doesn't reset your perk progress I ended up getting some extra perks "offscreen" during that session, so I think a perk roundup video may be in order in the near future. Outside of that video I plan on leaving most of my screw-ups and weird moments in the videos, such as trying to show off something most people miss by going to the wrong spot and being very confused as to why it wasn't where I thought it should be.

I'm going to be upgrading to a more powerful rig early next year, so it's no problem. I'm glad that I'll have the game on hand (like with Alien: Isolation).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if I'd agree on that one. A big part of Wolfenstein's charm is the cheesiness and constantly hearing "Zat man iz a zpy!" and "Zurrender, Amerikan!" plays a huge role there. Then again, the decision to make them actually use German fits with the more serious story this game tries to tell so it's not that bad, I guess. I'm still rather conflicted about the direction this game's story took, though.

As opposed to guys screaming about their leiben?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samovar posted:

OK, here's a query for the gun-nuts out there - why are there breach-loaded hunting shotguns with an over-under barrel arrangement? I mean, if you're going out hunting, surely the risk of missing is due to lack of horizontal shot spread, not vertical shot spread.

When firing on birds or clays like you would with a typical over-under shotgun, you're likely to be firing one shot at a time. An over-under generally has superior accuracy because the barrels are in line with where you're sighting, whereas side-by-sides obviously have the barrels to the side of where you're aiming. Both types of guns slightly angle the barrels so the shots will converge at a center point in line with the point of aim a certain distance out, but this doesn't matter much when both barrels are offset rather than just one. That said, the exact point of convergence varies depending on every single potential variable in the ammo used so it can never be more than an approximation. If you want accuracy, use a single-barreled gun.

Either way, birdshot tends to produce a thick cloud of pellets and at the long ranges of typical fowling, you can afford to be very slightly off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my dad posted:

OK, I can't watch a scene in which I'm supposed to root for the torturer. I'm sure this is a great game, and you look like a good LP-er, but I'm out.

I don't think it was torture for more than a few seconds.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the reason I can't feel much horror at the interrogation is that nothing is done to build up that this Nazi matters or that we need to feel sorry for him. He's an openly evil member of literally the most famous evil organization in the history of the planet, which has just taken over the world. He spends your entire interrogation prep time taunting and threatening you and even laughs when the chainsaw doesn't start.

My empathy will already not be very high simply because I understand that it's a video game character. He is not a living being, merely an unthinking line of code with little difference from a single frame of 35mm film. But while I could feel bad or uncomfortable with fictional depictions of atrocities and pain, he's not someone I would feel for. He's framed as little more than evil in a human body.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HGH posted:

Actually, there's something that kinda irks me. The weird... stab-offs? Knifing competitions? That seem to happen every so often in melee. It makes when you're wrestling off a dog, but with a soldier, with both of you just stabbing at each other, I dunno why I find it odd.

Boxing went by the wayside after the eugenics program started encouraging further distillation of the populace.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

George posted:

I thought the Nazis here had batons.

I took a closer look and they actually have retractable blades in their batons. So yeah, it's a shoulder stab fight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems like the Nazis are getting the short end of the American stick in real life.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

A constant reason Fascists lose fights is because Fascist ideology in no way allows accurate assessment of the enemy or of their own ability. If they take BJ down they'll be heroes, right?

You know, I actually read something about fascists and white supremacists: part of their philosophy requires them to constantly have a struggle. Their world view is so heavily based on having enemies to fight that they are unable to function without them.

Perhaps that is the true cause of the guard behavior: they desire making their job harder, as they must personally have an enemy to struggle against for superiority.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

How much does Fury play into that?

In an unrelated matter, Inglorious and Fury seem like such contrasting roles for Pitt.

Fury could have gone a lot further and more creatively than it did. I can talk further when not phone posting, but my general opinion is that the film starts out looking like it'll depict the war with more gray morality and humanize the German military but falters and falls into the classic tropes and characterization. Wardaddy's motivations and PTSD are hinted at early on, only to get dropped when inconvenient to the desired "heroic last stand" plot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Let's face it, the only other thing I can think of associated with fascism that'd make a wonder is Mussolini's train timetables. It is kinda difficult, really, fascist countries usually tend to focus on statues as opposed to buildings for their monuments.

The supposed "trains running on time" was a myth created by the fascist regime to try and show off how revolutionary and awesome Mussolini was. The Italian rail system was lovely after World War I and Mussolini took the credit for pre-fascist rebuilding. The trains still never reliably ran on time in the first place.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

Hi. Welcome to Nazism.

Pretty much. The Nazi regime was crazy, racist, and crazy racist. But they were also pragmatic enough not to just start wildly shooting everyone who didn't match the Aryan ideal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fullTimeLurker posted:

Every single chapter I'm constantly surprised

Probably the tagline for this game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Also, stab nazis.

It's the only way to ensure that the death rate in the winter remains the same.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

The game never makes it totally clear if he's just a general or if he has some greater sway.

Might be related to the game being done entirely from BJ's perspective. Exactly who Deathshead is and what power he holds is irrelevant because their rivalry is personal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JossiRossi posted:

The best part about the vegetative state thing, is they don't even make passing notice of it. Many games would have had you stumble around for the whole first level having scripted moments of weakness. TNO has you running out at 100% the instant you gain control. Nothing gets BJ down. It really goes to the rest of the game, while there is a lot of meticulous detail put into the game, it also will not let some unfortunate realities get in the way of a good time.

They could have always done the Metal Gear Solid V example of having BJ a skinny wretch who can barely drag himself across the room, while another asylum patient (whose bare rear end is constantly shoved in your face from the camera angle) repeatedly urges you to hurry up but never actually bothers helping you.

And then the game picks up a year later after BJ regains his muscles, but with an interim in which you find an audio log of the Nazis graphically committing horrible crimes against humanity in excruciating detail because WE'RE EDGY NOW.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

So why couldn't Wolfenstein do the same with this game?

Video games are still struggling to be treated as an art form, rather than bare stimulatory entertainment. Developers often get sarcastic pats on the head when they try to implement artistic vision into games because "video games aren't art" and they should focus on things blowing up and being fun over being artistic. Meanwhile, attempts to make games that emulate films or TV shows too much get lambasted by reviewers if they sacrifice gameplay for it because it's "boring". As the guy interviewing the developers brought up, many viewers and reviewers will also take the juxtaposition of kickass gunfights where you're sliding around corners dual-wielding automatic shotguns with realistic depictions of war crimes to be too jarring to handle.

Movies and TV shows can do this all the time, but that's because they've had decades to establish themselves as art forms and they're carrying on an acting tradition dating back thousands of years. Comics and graphic novels, likewise, are a continuation of literature. Video games started as little more than an extension of real world games like card games, board games, pinball, etc. and were more of a niche product. It wasn't until relatively recently that not only did video games become a major mainstream industry, but technology advanced to the point where detailed worlds and immersive storylines even became possible. Things will likely change as the decades go on, but video games are still underappreciated as an art form to the point where some customers even react with hostility to it.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 30, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Allied countries and even many of the Jews in Europe didn't know about the concentration camps or the extent to which the Nazis were horrifically evil. Abba Kovner (widely regarded today as one of the first great Israeli poets) became a partisan leader directly fighting the Nazis because he was one of the first people to realize that Hitler planned genocide; everyone knew of local killings, but nobody had put the pieces together. Escapees were regarded with skepticism until the concentration camps were found by shocked Allied soldiers, and we all know how big Holocaust Denial is even today.

It's very hard for humans to process that humans are capable of such great evils. My client honestly believes that Hitler was possessed by a powerful demon (though he's also a nutty fundamentalist) to make him do such horrible things. Fiction often emphasizes dehumanization of evil, and many take offense at depicting the worst examples of humanity having human qualities (like Hitler's oft-noted love of dogs and friendliness to children). On the contrary, I find it vital to our growth as a species to acknowledge the evils that ordinary humans are capable of. Deflecting the worst actions of humanity onto inhuman monsters only ensures that we're less likely to realize when a person is prepared to commit terrible acts. Trying to ignore our history in favor of a sanitized depiction, likewise, will only ensure that we forget what occurred.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aumanor posted:

Fuckers really ought to take a good hard look at the WWII death tolls and material losses caused by Germany in Poland, for which they haven't paid even a small percentage of what they should, and kindly fornicate their own orifices.

Wasn't trying to force Germany to pay for all the reparations of World War I what drove the nation into destitution and opened up an avenue for a charismatic dictator with a nationalistic streak to get everyone to rally behind him and bring Germany to its former glory?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

He's not a whiner, he's a man who has been fighting a seemingly hopeless resistance struggle for 14 years after fighting in a World War before that and who is well into his fifties/early sixties. And who had been captured and tortured for months before that. Dude's been through some poo poo.

Yeah, I can hardly criticize Fergus here. He's really clearly suffering from bad PTSD.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it's the way they present the sci-fi and diesel punk elements. Prior games always had a very pulp feeling to it, with two-fisted action hero BJ Blazkowicz going on a rampage against the evil Nazis trying to harness the power of the supernatural. It's the same stuff you've seen in countless other pieces of fiction dating back practically to the end of World War II in real life. Wolfenstein 2009 keeps up the camp by centering the game around cool sci-fi wunderwaffen and dominatrix assassins in black leather with whips.

The New Order has a much different tone because it tries to emphasize the realistic and disturbing implications of World War II continuing with the aid of superscience until the Nazis take over the world. You can see this from the very first level: normally a bunch of massive fictional transport planes invading Germany against a swarm of flying wing jet fighters before fighting a legion of robot dogs and climbing a wall with piton guns (firing an assault rifle one-handed at the bad guys leaning out the windows to shoot back) would be a campy, over-the-top action sequence. But the way it's presented, with desaturated colors and no heroic orchestral themes and BJ giving a very dark and philosophical narration in his mind, make it all seem very grim. The giant robotic dogs are less camp and more terrifying when they come screaming out of a pile of rubble trying to literally eat your face off to the sound of screeching metal. When the dominatrix Nazi character appears, she opens up by forcing you to perform a disturbing "test" at gunpoint rather than cracking a whip over your head before a boss fight.

Presentation is everything.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 31, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WirelessPillow posted:

Its going so fast that some places are still years behind, and we only need to look at the history of Japan to look at incredibly fast modernization, fighting rifles and gun ships with arrows and swords.

Japan is actually a fairly odd case because of how its culture clashed with the rapid pace of modernization. The technology literally jumped from muzzleloading black powder weapons to revolvers and bolt-action rifles, but tradition takes longer to eliminate.

Something that's often surprising about modern Japan is that despite their reputation for extreme modernization and high tech toys, you'll often find yourself dealing with strangely old fashioned means of work. Rather than digital databases, offices in Japan often insist on doing everything on paper by hand (which means a lot of superfluous personnel to handle record keeping in place of computers). Fax machines and 90s computer programs that can actually work with them are extremely common. Go to a police station for a passport problem and the officer will take down your information with a pen rather than a computer. You see tons of superfluous workers like massive amounts of valets, elevator doormen, and waiters when they really shouldn't be necessary. Many businesses don't accept credit cards and ATMs close when the banks close.

There's a number of reasons for this, but it all comes back to how Japanese culture has clashed with advances in technology. Over 1/4 of the population is over 60, and nobody needs to be told how senior citizens are wary of change, but the world has shifted at an extraordinarily rapid pace in the past century; they'd rather do things in the time-tested old fashioned ways. Another issue is that Japanese culture traditionally has a very high regard for politeness and manners, with extensive greetings and farewells and relatively complex (by American standards) social interactions. They're unwilling to automate where their culture dictates a human as necessary. Of course, this also helps them maintain an extremely low unemployment rate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basically, technology in Japan is used to replace what won't require human interactions under cultural mores. Mass producing and transporting goods are done under the best technology available (like robots mass producing cars and vending machines with wi-fi connections), but anything that traditionally was part of the culture of social interaction remains predominately traditional.

The emphasis on tradition obviously also includes a lot of negative aspects, like a dislike of independence and outspoken behavior (referred to as amae) in favor of acceptance and conformity and a heavy focus on honor. Japan has the third highest suicide rate in the world (after South Korea and Hungary) and suicide is even the leading cause of death in men aged 20-44. Everyone knows about seppuku, of course. The long tradition of military suicide to avoid bringing the shame of failure or capture has continued into tolerance of suicide in the modern business world. Suicide is predominately viewed in modern Japan as a morally responsible way to avoid alienation and shame, and mental health care in general is stigmatized.

Then there's the epic amount of racism, something you literally never hear about (especially not among the weeaboos wanting to move there). Nobody knows for sure exactly how many non-Japanese people are Japanese citizens, as the Ministry of Justice conflates ethnicity and nationality. But the country is indeed extremely ethnically Japanese, and this leads to a culture that few are ready to expect. You're not going to get lynched for being a white guy, but you're always going to be viewed as an outsider no matter how many years you spend in the country. They tend to engage in more subtle methods of racism, such as moving out when a foreigner moves in or not inviting them to parties and other events. Koreans suffer badly especially, and the way citizenship in Japan works requires them to actually revoke their Korean identity to be granted Japanese citizenship and therefore full rights. As you can expect, this leads to a lot of protests.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 31, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Every single time someone starts a conversation about the modern culture of the Japanese, someone brings up the fact that they're racist as all hell, (Although usually they link to blackface videos) and every single time they act like nobody has ever heard of the astounding fact that the Japanese are pretty racist!

Personally, I've never seen it brought up by anyone else. The popular opinion I see is that Japan is a weird techno-wonderland with strange pop culture/porn and overbearing cultural norms, while the weebs think it's paradise on Earth and just quietly ignore how anime depicts black guys. The Korean problems I especially rarely see get brought up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speedball posted:

...oh, no WONDER I like this game, it was put together by the team that made The Darkness!

I'm still disappointed I have to wait to get a capture card to do a proper Darkness LP. That game needs a PC release.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And of course, the famous British Hawker Hurricane fighter had a fuselage of fabric stretched over a metal skeleton (early models had wings of the same construction, but starting in 1939 they used regular duraluminum wings).

This is less problematic than you'd think. While the Spitfire was lighter and stronger, it also suffered badly when it actually took damage. Meanwhile, the linen covering of the Hurricane would fail to detonate explosive cannon shells unless they hit part of the metal skeleton and the shots would just pass clean through. The design was much simpler to repair and assemble as well, which is a good thing when your country's in dire straits and only not being invaded due to Germany having to deal with the English Channel first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Engel staring at us during the botched execution scene may be the most disturbing thing I've seen in any video game ever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fanzay posted:

That was my reaction too. poo poo is hosed up :stonk:

I'm being completely serious when I say that I couldn't keep my eyes on the screen when she came up. I've seen plenty of horrific poo poo in video games, but the developers managed to frame this in a way that I simply couldn't look her in the eye.

I fear for the world if these guys decide to make a horror game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samovar posted:

Engels' eyes reminded me of a china dolls eyes - which at first reminded me of Jaws re. Quinns description of the shark, but then when taking into account her jaw being shattered it turns her from looking like a person into some kind of an uncanny valley manniquin. You see this thing talking; communicating like a human, but the eyes (or at least, my eyes) scream that what you are seeing is not human.

I think that might be it. She was already a creepazoid when unmutilated, but the horrific realism of her shattered jaw (just look at actual pictures of facial damage to see what I mean) is nothing compared to the way she stares. It's like she isn't even feeling any form of agony from the injury. She's just enraged to a degree that no human can reach. Irrevocably broken.

I'm disturbed, but also proud of MachineGames for actually succeeding at making me physically turn away from the screen. So many horror games have tried and failed to scare people away, but they just lack the finesse and understanding to make something truly scary. And now what looked at first like a kitschy cyber-Nazi FPS is going to amazingly dark places.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You know, this game gave me a thought.

60 years ago, fiction like this would have been literally unthinkable. Films rarely even had more than a little blood, let alone gruesome dismemberment and smashed faces. The Peckinpah action films have gouts of blood, but no more than a completely average FPS today has. Some of the most popular and well-regarded media today has body horror and violence that few without the mind of H.R. Giger could have thought of. Whereas audiences in the 1960s would be shocked just by a decapitation on screen, today's audiences gleefully watch Nazis literally chopped to pieces. The amount of gore in The New Order is fairly standard for a 21st century video game.

Exactly what's going to need to be done to shock audiences in 30 years?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

It's part of why the 'It's not supernatural bupkis' is such a great line. Because no, in Wolfenstein BJ has fought a dozen different kinds of supernatural entities, and used 'technology' powered by magic a dozen times.

Well, what is the supernatural but what science cannot yet explain? Perhaps Set is correct: it's not "supernatural", merely science that has not been explored by contemporary scientists yet.

I mean, even real world science starts to operate in ways that it "shouldn't" when you look to closely (read: quantum mechanics). What's to say that there truly is no supernatural, merely incomplete knowledge of the universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Sufficiently picked apart fiction is indistinguishable from regular fiction. It's a game.

Why is it that when people start enjoying themselves analyzing fiction, someone always feels the need to come in and lambaste them for it? Let people have their fun.

berryjon posted:

I can't help but wonder what Set Roth's reaction to being told about the events of the previous game would be in light of the Magic/Science debate.

Because I got the feeling from that conversation that Becker was just screaming at Roth in her head given the stuff she's seen.

Set would probably want to try and analyze everything from a scientific standpoint. A truly scientific mind, especially one who believes that there's technically no such thing as "supernatural", would see something that's "obviously magic" and assume that it must simply be more aspects of the universe (like gravity and nuclear energy once were) that are not yet understood. "Magic" would merely be another form of energy flowing through the universe, which can be analyzed and harnessed.

For all we know, Da'at Yichud could have already made inroads into the Veil and the technology seen in Wolfenstein 2009. Hell, the Nazi superscience and magic seen earlier in the series could have very well been the first signs of them uncovering Da'at Yichud knowledge; what's occurring now is the continuation past black ops experiments and into mass production.

• Locked thread