Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Prancerising in your dreams.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Share your recipe! I want that food.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/12/08/gingerbread-cupcakes/
Boom.
Unless you really like molasses, I would do a little less than the 1/2 cup it calls for; it really seemed a bit much. They are super moist and loving delicious. I also refridgerated the icing for a while and probably should have let it get a little thicker before I applied. But who has patience.

Echeveria posted:

GLORIOUS DAIRY FREE HAZELNUT TOFFEE BLONDIES

Need a picture of these cuuuuuttttt.

Edit: Hell yeah we made it to page 2. :tutbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Echeveria posted:

GLORIOUS DAIRY FREE HAZELNUT TOFFEE BLONDIES

I made these as well and people at my work are still reminiscing out loud about them 3 days after I brought them in.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Princess Nebula posted:

Need a picture of these cuuuuuttttt.

I edited my post on the last page and added a picture of them cut.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok gonna start my baking today. Caramels, marshmallows and crinkle cookies for sure. Not sure what else from there.

I usually cover the marshmallows in chocolate (well chocolate coating because I suck at tempering). I'm gonna temper the sous vide method this year though, so we'll see how it goes.

My issue is with coating the marshmallows. the powdered sugar on them gets in the chocolate and seems to gently caress it up after a while if I dip them. Is there a good technique for pouring to enrobe them that doesn't require huge amounts of chocolate/create huge waste?

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010
I decided to try some historical cookie recipes out for Christmas this year.
So far I've made "sugar cakes" from a 1603 recipe in one of my cookbooks (sorry, no pictures yet), "desart cakes" based on the original recipe posted on Cooking in the Archives, Jumballs, and

"renaissance cookies".

Yes, that is spinach on a cookie! It's actually pretty tasty!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Symbol posted:

I decided to try some historical cookie recipes out for Christmas this year.
So far I've made "sugar cakes" from a 1603 recipe in one of my cookbooks (sorry, no pictures yet), "desart cakes" based on the original recipe posted on Cooking in the Archives, Jumballs, and

"renaissance cookies".

Yes, that is spinach on a cookie! It's actually pretty tasty!

Spinach? Cookies? Oh please....share!!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Can someone suggest some easy to make (aka hard to gently caress up) cookies? I'd like to give 2-3 types a whirl this year with my girlfriend but neither of us have really baked before.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Can someone suggest some easy to make (aka hard to gently caress up) cookies? I'd like to give 2-3 types a whirl this year with my girlfriend but neither of us have really baked before.

I like nut butter cookies or chip type cookies, they are pretty hard to screw up. Spice cookies are pretty easy too and are a very holiday sort of thing.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with a touch of cinnamon. Pretty much just mix ingredients and bake. Pretty hard to gently caress up.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Here is the recipe for the shortbread cookies I made. Shortbread is pretty hard to gently caress up.

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/2534/raspberry-almond-shortbread-thumbprints

Yes, I know that is from the Land O'Lakes website. It's shortbread. It has four ingredients. I don't bother with the glaze, just the jam, use whatever you like. In my oven at least that baking time is much too long, so reduce as needed; last night it was in the 6-8 minute range I believe. This recipe doubles well if you want to make a large number for a group. This is easiest with a mixer but not required. Also, refrigerating the dough before baking is totally optional.

Taloniss
Nov 24, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've been experimenting with Oatmeal cookies. My mom makes a fantastic chocolate chip and MnM walnut cookie (the MnM's are very important, does not taste the same without), but they are made with magic and unicorns and too precious to my family to even try to replicate on my own. So I'm going for spicy fruit!

The first batch turned out nicely in the texture, size, fruitiness, and perfectly cooked department, but the recipe called for 1 and 1/4 cups light brown sugar alone. The cookies were a little mollasassy, and not really sweet enough. In another weird experiment, I made ghetto royal icing and drizzled that on top. Tastes better now, but not perfect. Also in the spice department, the first batch was not up to par. I used fresh grated nutmeg and ginger, and powdered cinnamon that i'm trying to use up. A teaspoon of each spice went into the batch. They did not come out spicy enough for my tastes. The dried NZ apples and raisins, however, were delicious.

Since this cooking was inspired by dad going 'Hey go make a bunch of cookies for the firemen's xmas', I made a double batch today with some simple fixes. First, I used a cup of light brown sugar, and a cup of white. That was exactly what the recipe needed, turned out fine. I doubled the spices, and found what I think was missing from the original recipe. CLOVES. The cloves certainly kicked it up a notch into 'appreciably spiced' territory. Not aggressive, but certainly enough to make you go, "Hey, spice cookies!".

However, I wandered into idiot territory. My mom was being a little weird about me using the dried apple slices we bought at Trader Joes. Just oddly possessive, we can always go out and get more, they are not that badly expensive. But she was making enough fuss that I decided to try an alternative she suggested (though I should have known better), fresh Honeycrisp apples. I cored, peeled, and spiraled them in our funky oldschool apple device, chopped them, and added a cup to a cup of raisins. Then I put the spices on them and set them aside while I creamed the butter and sugar and did other mixy things. The dough was fine, very thick and not overly wet at all, so I thought I got away with it.

Nnnnope. Almost everything that was right about the first batch I made two days earlier was wrong with this one. They spread like crazy on the baking sheet, and refused to hold any cookie shape. The second baking went in a few minutes longer, and held their shape a bit better, but not by much. So what do I do with the more crumbly batch? I gotta salvage this somehow.

I grease my favorite 9x9 up and pack the cookies in there, then set it in a 300f oven for 20 minutes. Then I let it cool completely. Slice. Yay cookie bars!

So it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, but a lesson was learned. The second batch TASTED amazing by the way, just refused to let society determine it's baking identity I guess. The first batch is very pretty as oatmeal cookies go, just not up to my standards for flavor.

Now, the recipe for Highly Suspect Oatmeal Fruit Spice Cookies.

1 1/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
3/4 cup White sugar
1 Egg
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

1 1/2 cup AP Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon (fresh ground if possible)
1 teaspoon Nutmeg (natch)
1 teaspoon Cloves (yadda)
2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Ginger (I have not experimented with Ginger Powder as a substitute, beware! You may need to reduce cooking time and spice amount!)
3 cups Quick Oats
1/2 cup diced Dried Apples
1/2 cup Raisins (other DRIED fruits of similar measurements can be substituted for fun times!)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)

-In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar thoroughly. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg, ADD IN SMALL AMOUNTS into the creamed mixture. Finally, stir in the quick oats and dried fruit. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, or one coated with non-stick foil.

-Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool before stuffing into mouf. Leave some for other people.

Made these for a work Christmas party. So. Epic. Thank you!

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I made two whole goddamn sets of sugar cookie dough last week and since we didn't go to my aunt's tea party this year, I guess I'm making linzer cookies tonight! (because I also have too much jam)

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
My extended family is having a get together tomorrow. Instead of spending several hours with a bunch of people I don't like, I will let these cupcakes be my placeholder.

They are chocolate with peanut butter mousse, and carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I made a big batch of cookies for work; pecan tassies, toffee almond squares, and lemon shortbread. Which get devoured in like, a day. But for my Christmas dinner with friends, I made a yule log for the first time. Tiramisu Yule Log with meringue mushrooms!

How the hell did people make stuff like this before the invention of electric mixers? Cause I was tired enough after holding a hand mixer for whipping eggs and cream, and I can't imagine having to do it by hand. Old timey bakers, I salute you.

AKoM
Dec 19, 2014
I've been busy with work, but I've taken the time to make some lovely homemade marzipan.

1.5kg (3 pounds) of almonds were heated in almost boiling water for about five minutes then cooled, and since I don't have a machine for it:
One and one almond got its skin removed.
Then the almonds were cooled and ground to a fine flour, before sucrose and sorbitol were added as a binding agent.
When the marzipan had the correct consitancy I added a small dash of whiskey for a lovely taste.

All in all I now have 2.5kg (5.5 pounds) of freshly made marzipan.

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010

Disco Salmon posted:

Spinach? Cookies? Oh please....share!!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I got busy with Christmas-y things and forgot to check in on this thread. Anyway, I have a cookbook full of modernized 17th century (mostly) British recipes. The original recipe just gives instructions for making the spinach topping, but the modernized version suggests a cookie recipe to pair it with as well. However, I do question their interpretation of the original recipe. The way I read it, it sounds like they want you to make a single-crust pie, not a cookie. Maybe the author decided that it worked better as a cookie? Or maybe I'm just not very good at figuring out early modern recipes.

Here's the recipe I used for the cookies at any rate:

Shakespeare's Kitchen (paraphrased) posted:

Renaissance Cookies
1/2 lb. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
1 large egg
1/4 c. white dessert wine
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. pastry flour
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
10 oz. baby spinach, cooked and drained
4 oz. almond paste
1 large egg yolk
1 Tbsp. cream
1-3 Tbsp. sugar, to taste
sugar-coated fennel seeds, to garnish

1. Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg, wine, and 1/8 tsp. salt.
3. Gradually add flour and stir until just combined. Set dough aside while spinach topping is prepared.
4. Purée spinach (or mince very fine by hand). Add almond paste, egg yolk, and cream. Purée until almond paste dissolves (or use pastry blender to cut in and mix well). Add sugar to taste.
5. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes, until mixture thickens.
6. Roll out the dough to ~1/8" thickness and cut out your cookies.
7. Spread each cookie with some of the spinach purée and top with a smaller dough cut-out.
8. Top with a few sugar-coated fennel seeds and bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes.

If I decide to make these again sometime, I think I'd like to try replacing some of the white flour with ground almonds. Maybe half a cup or so. The spinach topping had a really strong almond flavour and I think it would've been nice if it had carried through to the cookie dough as well. I'd also be curious to try these cookies without the extra cutout on top. The author specified that the cutout was there to stop the topping from drying out, but it didn't really seem in danger of being too dry and the original recipe actually specifies that the spinach topping should not be covered during baking.

The modernized recipe doesn't call for the sugar-coated fennel seeds, but the original did call for topping with "red and white muskedines". The cookbook only notes that things like muskadines and sugar-coated fennel seeds were common "bisket" toppings in the 17th century, but doesn't go into further details than that. I couldn't get muskadines, so I opted for some sugar-coated fennel seeds instead. I think they actually worked quite well with the spinach, though I had trouble getting them to stick to the tops of the cookies. (Yet another reason why I'd like to try an open-faced cookie next time.)

After doing a bit of poking around the Internet, muskadine candies seem to have been some sort of diamond-shaped, musk- and rose-flavoured candy. I found one recipe that calls for musk grains (which seems to be referring to musk mallow seeds), sugar, rosewater, and "gum-tragacant". If anyone's interested in trying to make their own muskadines, the recipe can be found here.

And I'll copy out the original spinach cookie/pie recipe below as well, in case anyone would like to take a crack at it.

The Accomplisht Cook posted:

Other made Dish of spinach in Paste baked
Boil spinage as beforesaid, being tender boil'd, drain it in a cullender, chop it small, and strain it with half a pound of almond-paste, three or four yolks of eggs, half a grain of musk, three or four spoonfuls of cream, a quartern of fine sugar, and a little salt; then bake it on a sheet of paste on a dish without a cover, in a very soft oven, being fine and green baked, stick it with preserved barberries, or strow on red and white biskets, or red and white muskedines, and scrape on fine sugar.

Please let me know if you decide to try any of these recipes! I'd be interested to hear your results.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Muscadines are a kind of wild grape. They grow everywhere in the coastal southeast US. They have a thicker skin and stronger bitter taste then table grapes, some astringency as well. Red and white (green) varieties are available. They were heavily cultivated in the 1600s. Is that possibly what they meant? Also, the familiar french wine grape was called the Muscat.

I love muscadines. I have a small arbor of them in my back yard. I hope I get some before the birds this year!

Also, yay someone used my recepie! I am so proud.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 29, 2014

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Muscadines are a kind of wild grape. They grow everywhere in the coastal southeast US. They have a thicker skin and stronger bitter taste then table grapes, some astringency as well. Red and white (green) varieties are available. They were heavily cultivated in the 1600s. Is that possibly what they meant? Also, the familiar french wine grape was called the Muscat.

I love muscadines. I have a small arbor of them in my back yard. I hope I get some before the birds this year!

Also, yay someone used my recepie! I am so proud.

I knew of the muscadine grape, but there also seems to have been an early modern candy called a muskadine/muskedine, so it can be a little confusing. I haven't done enough research to know for sure whether they were talking about the grape or the candy, but the author of my cookbook seems to think they meant the candy. Also, since muscadine grapes seem to be a US/New World thing, I wasn't sure how common they'd be in early modern British cooking, so I also figured that the candy was more likely here. I could be wrong though.

Looking at the muskadine candy recipe that I found (in A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, written in 1602 and published/printed in 1608), it looks like the idea was to make a paste of sugar, musk mallow seeds, gum tragacanth, and rosewater. The paste was then rolled out, dried, and cut into diamond shapes.

If I run across any more information on the topic or anything that clarifies whether the recipe might be referring to the grape or the candy, I'll let you know! For now I'm happy with how the fennel seeds worked on top, but it might be interesting to play around with other toppings and combinations as well.

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010
Edit: Sorry, double post. Baby started flailing at my keyboard.

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Echeveria posted:

I edited my post on the last page and added a picture of them cut.

Lord god you cut those so cleanly. Also, can we keep this thread until the New Year at least? It's still the holidays, right?

One rise cinnamon rolls, ya'll. The below cinnamon rolls are made in a pan because 1. my skillet needs to be re-seasoned (long story) and 2. I don't know where my pie pyrex went, but now I have two! Thanks, boyfriend. And because my brain thinks "Pan! Stove! Not in 400 degree oven! On stove!" I have a weird shaped burn on my arm. Yeah, whatever. They still tasted fuckballs amazing.

Lesson learned: A squeeze of lemon juice is really crucial for the perfect cream cheese icing and don't think you can sight-guess measuring vanilla when you have shaky hands.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I made these, but I didn't use any chocolate chips. Instead, I rolled them in this.

They turned out amazingly delicious. I took them to a party last night and everyone was raving about them.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I went to Sweden recently and bought a jar of salt liquorice pastilles. I can't get enough of the salt liquorice, though most people outside Scandinavia hate it (the few that have tried it). You can buy chocolate bars flavoured with salt liquorice there, which believe me is a hell of a combo and brings me to my crazy plan...

Putting aside the likelihood that the suggested flavour combination here is probably causing salt liquorice-haters to hurl onto their keyboards, would it be... insane... to try baking these suckers into some chocolate cookies?

They're hard and chewy, so my main concern is consistency. I'm wondering if they might melt and thin out in the cookie. Or is it more likely to just create a horrible chewy mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Since you describe them as chewy, I'm guessing they have some sort of gelatin in them, which won't result in a pretty melt if one occurs at all. And maybe difficult to chew. "Rubberize" sounds like the possibly adjective... Only one way to find out!

• Locked thread