Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

While living in Athens, it is said that he resided in a large ceramic jar on the outskirts of the marketplace. He made a career out of begging and lying about; all while surviving on a steady diet of discarded onions. During the day, he wandered the streets with a lantern because he was “looking for an honest man”.

Diogenes was constantly dirty, disheveled, and often smelled of filth. He urinated and defecated in public, and it was not uncommon for him to literally spit in the faces of those who disagreed with him. For this reason, Diogenes was sometimes referred to as “Diogenes the dog”.

quote:

When scolded for masturbating in public, he said "I wish it were as easy to banish hunger by rubbing my belly."

quote:

Diogenes stood outside a brothel, shouting, "A beautiful whore is like poisoned honey! A beautiful whore is like poisoned honey! A beautiful whore . . . ". Men entering the house threw him a coin or two to shut him up. Eventually Diogenes had collected enough money and he too went into the brothel.

quote:

To the question what wine he found pleasant to drink, he replied, "That for which other people pay."

quote:

Plato had defined Man as an animal, biped and featherless, and was applauded. Diogenes plucked a fowl and brought it into the lecture-room with the words, "Behold Plato's man!"

quote:

The city was under seige. Everyone was busy fortifying the walls - some were carrying stones, others were patching the walls, yet others were building battlements. Diogenes, not wanting to appear idle while everyone around him was working so frantically, diligently rolled his barrel back and forth along the battlements. The city fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
u can post cool philosophers itt but u;ll probaly just say "img ay" or soething.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

img ay

e: diogenes sounds like some kind of greek g g allin

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Did he suck my dick!?

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
But can you write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Seems like a pretty shithead dude imho. If I met him I'd definitely give him a slap.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Wasn't he the dude that told Alexander the Great to stop blocking the sun?

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

likely hood of all that being made up: 100%

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Seems like a pretty shithead dude imho. If I met him I'd definitely give him a slap.

With masturbating dog-guys you come at 'em with a knife or nothin'

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

more like dirt on yo jeans. gently caress

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Meander posted:

Wasn't he the dude that told Alexander the Great to stop blocking the sun?

lol yeah and later some dude was like "yp if you'd just been nice to alexander ud be eating a feast now instead of sctealing turnips" and diogenes was all like "lol dickhead if u learned how to steal turnips u wouldn't have to eat dinner with alexander all the time" based as f*ck

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

the proto goon
but more intelligent

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

the proto goon
but more intelligent

and better groomed

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Friendly Tumour posted:

and better groomed

Just saw a vanity plate saying DIOGNES or something like that.

What a poser, actually owning a car. Probably showers too.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
maybe some seneca

he was good at short, pithy quips but people talked poo poo about him for being a stoic + the richest man in the roman empire and possibly a huge hypocrite but who knows....

quote:

It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.

quote:

Men do not care how nobly they live, but only how long, although it is within the reach of every man to live nobly, but within no man's power to live long.

quote:

Our lack of confidence is not the result of difficulty. The difficulty comes from our lack of confidence.

quote:

Death is a release from and an end of all pains: beyond it our sufferings cannot extend: it restores us to the peaceful rest in which we lay before we were born. If anyone pities the dead, he ought also to pity those who have not been born. Death is neither a good nor a bad thing, for that alone which is something can be a good or a bad thing: but that which is nothing, and reduces all things to nothing, does not hand us over to either fortune, because good and bad require some material to work upon. Fortune cannot take ahold of that which Nature has let go, nor can a man be unhappy if he is nothing.

nero made him commit suicide in the end and as i recall he slashed his wrists and was in agony for hours but didn't die so he got his servants to put him in a steamroom and keep adding more and more hot steam till he eventually shuffled off.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
That guy loving ruled

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Did he ever poo poo himself and go "WHHOOO WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!!"

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

Did he ever poo poo himself and go "WHHOOO WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!!"

there is a story about him getting up on stage in a packed theatre during a play and dropping a big steaming poo poo centre stage lol

his whole thing was that 90% ofthe stuff ppl do is pointless and makes them unhappy and he tried to illustrate it with direct actions so i guess he was taking a poo poo on stage to be like "yo you may as well be watching this for all the good its doing u"

i like to imagine that everywhere diogenes went ppl were like "oh jfc here comes diogenes whats this fucker up to today"

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 3, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thales was an extremely early greek philosopher. he believed everything was made out of water, and now he has a successful series of chip-and-pin cardreaders named after him

makes u think

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

bertrand russell posted:

I think that there is far too much work done in the world, that immense harm is caused by the belief that work is virtuous, and that what needs to be preached in modern industrial countries is quite different from what always has been preached.

Everyone knows the story of the traveler in Naples who saw twelve beggars lying in the sun (it was before the days of Mussolini), and offered a lira to the laziest of them. Eleven of them jumped up to claim it, so he gave it to the twelfth. this traveler was on the right lines. But in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it.

I hope that, after reading the following pages, the leaders of the YMCA will start a campaign to induce good young men to do nothing. If so, I shall not have lived in vain.

http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I figured all goons were aware of him because his lamp is referenced in a final fantasy.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

opus111 posted:

I figured all goons were aware of him because his lamp is referenced in a final fantasy.

lol for real?

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie

proof that 1+1=2

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
would have a rational debate with

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

QCIC posted:

proof that 1+1=2

it's useless if you don't also include the propositions he refers to

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I was hoping this thread was about the genetics of Ronnie James Dio.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 3, 2014

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
yes

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Vorik posted:

likely hood of all that being made up: 100%

this is wrong bc the masturbation story is obviously real, it can't be more clear that diogenes was a homeless public masturbator, ie the kind of dude you can see nine of in one nyc perambulation

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

He destroyed the single wooden bowl he possessed on seeing a peasant boy drink from the hollow of his hands. He then exclaimed," Fool that I am, to have been carrying superfluous baggage all this time!"

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
philosophy is the art of being batshit with such sureness that you convince everyone that you are the sane one and they the batshit

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Clayren posted:

philosophy is the art of being batshit with such sureness that you convince everyone that you are the sane one and they the batshit

the frogs by aristophanes is a hilarious takedown of philosophers.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

He had dodgy knees.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Kilmers Elbow posted:

He had dodgy knees.

cuz he down on them all the time sin that d!

nah im just kiddin man i get ya

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

lol for real?

Yeah some dungeon monster is holding it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
he would pee on people

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
same

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Was this all before or after he wrote Battlefield Earth?

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

l33t b4c0n posted:

I was hoping this thread was about the genetics of Ronnie James Dio.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
enders bro pretended he was the author of the writings but in fact hes too big a douche to write like that and it was instead mostly his sister's work.

the more you know (star)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Nathilus posted:

enders bro pretended he was the author of the writings but in fact hes too big a douche to write like that and it was instead mostly his sister's work.

the more you know (star)

Nice. Keep us posted on your knowledge of fag books

• Locked thread