Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
thank you diogenes

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I didn't know about him but these are some choice quotes. Wonder why the public masterbators in the downtown library don't keep it real like this.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Was Diogenes the original Goon?

Ogodei_Khan
Feb 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Was Diogenes the original Goon?

He seemed to use a lot of irony to critique society though and act as a demonstration of those critiques. Usually negative descriptions of his stuff just put bad intentions to his actions. Whereas positive accounts tend to place good intentions. For example he did stalk his teacher according to Aelian's 3rd Century Historical Miscellany 10.16. He even said that he could not find a stick hard enough to keep him away from his lectures.He was passive aggressive to outright aggressive with people at times but the presentation of those reasons differ.. Laterius points out one noticeable example in Lives 6.25 when he makes fun of Plato going to Sicily and Syracuse. Plato may have had a role in leading a revolt and trying to overthrow the government there. He states why come back and eat the olives in Attica when he had such a feast there. He also told Xeniades to bury him face down, because everything will be turned upside down in death. This is in Laterius 6.32 This may also mean the obvious to kiss his rear end. Aelian in 13.26 with a negative tone states he was too poor to entertain anyone and was avoided because he annoyed people because of his constant complaining and dissatisfaction with everything. Laterius presents his poverty and isolation as an attempt to avoid arousing passions. He may have been a goon or just used their traits to express and demonstrate claims.

Ogodei_Khan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 3, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Diogenes was probably mentally ill.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

Diogenes was probably mentally ill.

It's possible to not be normal and also not be mentally ill. I know this is diffcult for citizens of the new world to accept...

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

opus111 posted:

It's possible to not be normal and also not be mentally ill. I know this is diffcult for citizens of the new world to accept...

Dude lived in a pot and jacked off at the market

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Dude lived in a pot and jacked off at the market

being a hobo with extremely lax hygiene is not a mental illness

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

deadking posted:

thank you diogenes

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Excelzior posted:

being a hobo with extremely lax hygiene is not a mental illness

I disagree and I don't think it's a binary you are/you aren't kind of thing, and furthermore that crazy people are still pretty good at exposing the absurd in society to this day. But it's a dumb thing to argue about.

Ogodei_Khan
Feb 28, 2009
My favorite things attributed to him are in Laterius 6.33, 6.35 and 6.49. A person who competed in the Pythian games , possibly Dixioppius, bragged or possibly threatened him that he defeated men in the contest. Diogenes then said he defeated men while the guy only beat slaves forced to fight. The other is when some people wanted to meet Demosthenes , a famous orator and statesman. Laterius then flipped them off and said "This is the demagogue of the Athenians". The third is when a youth went to make fun of his exile. He then said he condemned them to stay where they are.

Ogodei_Khan fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 3, 2014

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it's just proof that FYAD has secretly discovered time travel?

also

quote:

In another account of the conversation, Alexander found the philosopher looking attentively at a pile of human bones. Diogenes explained, "I am searching for the bones of your father but cannot distinguish them from those of a slave."

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I already quoted that one breh.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

diogenes owns.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCsph5Pykvk

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
never heard of this guy before but he's a loving baller

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Precedents posted:

Diogenes was a balla.
Yeah that didn't actually happen.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

*spits in ur face*

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

*jacks it into your face* Ah, I found a meaner receptacle.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i always try to use that "meaner receptable" thing to say why we should do buttsex but it only sometimes works

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pretty sure my brother is Diogenes reincarnated.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ur brother is a loser who lives at home and smokes too much weed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

is this like those poker playin dogs?

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No one knows about dinogenes, just stfu and watch Starlord ride a velocaraptor

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The truly sick burns this guy lays down have made him my new hero

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Applewhite posted:

lol where do you even get a ceramic jar that big? Dude was hilarious.

i'm more curious about that j.l gerome rear end in a top hat who tagged the wall right above diogenes house

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Citizens: Diogenes, how should we bury you when you die?
Diogenes: Eh, just throw me outside the city walls.
Citizens: But then you'll be devoured by wild beasts!
Diogenes: In that case leave a big stick with me so I can fend them off.
Citizens: But you won't be able to, you'll be dead.
Diogenes: Oh right, I'll be dead so I don't give a poo poo.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

I don't care what anyone says. This piece of art is loving brilliant. The dog motif is painfully apropro.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
D-dawg got some advice for those of who who just got ditched by your gf/bf:

quote:

When Diogenes was exiled from the city of his birth, he was accompanied by one of his father's household slaves, Manes by name; but finding life with Diogenes unbearable, this Manes ran away. When people urged Diogenes to go out in search of him, he said, "how absurd if Manes can live without Diogenes, but Diogenes cannot live without Manes!"

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

When somebody asked Diogenes to return a cloak which he had borrowed he replied "If you gave it to me, I own it; if you lent it to me I'm still using it."

quote:

At the conclusion of the Olympic Games, Diogenes forced his way into the winner's circle and proclaimed himself as the Olympic victor over all mankind in Human excellence.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
whenever people recount some witticism from early historical figures it always sounds really lame but this diogenes fellow is a pretty big exception

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Had the Greeks just not invented crazy hoboes? I'm sure I could take a homeless schizophrenic from Athens and send him back in time and he'd be another Diogenes, except with a reputation for talking about flying machines and handheld moving pictures.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

someone get this man an account

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Robo Reagan posted:

someone get this man an account

pretty sure he posts as Ingwit

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uglycat posted:

I've based my life on him.

No joke.

Can you skip to the part where he kills himself?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Mange Mite posted:

It's gunna happen, but I sure am having fun for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

According to some accounts from the period he committed suicide by holding his breath lol

• Locked thread