Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Oberleutnant posted:

According to some accounts from the period he committed suicide by holding his breath lol

He told u he wuz hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The city was under seige. Everyone was busy fortifying the walls - some were carrying stones, others were patching the walls, yet others were building battlements. Diogenes, not wanting to appear idle while everyone around him was working so frantically, diligently rolled his barrel back and forth along the battlements. The city fell.

This is awesome beyond words.
"Dude, i AM helping, sheesh!"

I can totally picture him on the ramparts though, wacking it furiously while some guys scale the walls only to be greeted by his jizz.
"We dont use no boiling oil here, welcome to Athens, fuckers!"

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

u can post cool philosophers itt but u;ll probaly just say "img ay" or soething.

i had an idea a while ago about kewl philosopher gimmick sa accounts but the only ones i could come up with were diogenes murder and epicarius

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
So, like, he's from Synope, but he and his pappy were exiled because his dad was treasurer and 'debased the currency' (whatever that means). Early experiment in fiat currency? Or was this the family that necessitated Archimedes big insight (using displacement and weight to differentiate counterfeit gold coins with lead weights in 'em from the 'real thing')?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
debasing the currency usually means shaving little bits off to keep or mixing it with inferior metals hence the Archimedes experiment to see how much water pure gold displaces

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Uglycat posted:

So, like, he's from Synope, but he and his pappy were exiled because his dad was treasurer and 'debased the currency' (whatever that means). Early experiment in fiat currency? Or was this the family that necessitated Archimedes big insight (using displacement and weight to differentiate counterfeit gold coins with lead weights in 'em from the 'real thing')?

Two theories - one: he physically defaced the currency, which would have been marked with images f prominent people in society of whom he disapproved. two: it's a metaphor for his criticism of social conventions, and the sinopeans got so sick of him calling them out that they exiled him.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 4, 2014

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Now watch this: a snake's up in a tree. Diogenes don't care. Diogenes don't give a poo poo, he just takes what he wants. Whenever he's hungry EW and he eats snakes? Oh my god.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

According to some accounts from the period he committed suicide by holding his breath lol

I don't think that's possible no matter how much willpower you have since as soon you pass out your body will start breathing again

I guess if your head hit a rock as you fell down or something maybe

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Torka posted:

I don't think that's possible no matter how much willpower you have since as soon you pass out your body will start breathing again

I guess if your head hit a rock as you fell down or something maybe

Yeah I think it was just a story since the account is "his friends, finding him unresponsive but sitting upright with his teeth and lips pressed firmly together, assumed he had suffocated himself"

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah I think it was just a story since the account is "his friends, finding him unresponsive but sitting upright with his teeth and lips pressed firmly together, assumed he had suffocated himself"

"Is he clasping his cock?"
"No. This did not happen."
"Theres jizz all over the place, i think he wanked himself to death"
"no, he suffocated himself."
"Good Lord, his palms are raw, i really think he -"
"HE HELD HIS BREATH UNTIL HE DIED."
"ok, ok..."

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

"Is he clasping his cock?"
"No. This did not happen."
"Theres jizz all over the place, i think he wanked himself to death"
"no, he suffocated himself."
"Good Lord, his palms are raw, i really think he -"
"HE HELD HIS BREATH UNTIL HE DIED."
"ok, ok..."

I dont think anybdy would have bothered to hide it if diogenes of all people wanked himself to death

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

I dont think anybdy would have bothered to hide it if diogenes of all people wanked himself to death

Well, he was found by friends.
Covering up a wank-a-thon related death seems like the equivalent of deleting his browser history.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Well, he was found by friends.
Covering up a wank-a-thon related death seems like the equivalent of deleting his browser history.

Truly the proto-goon.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Truly the proto-goon.

Maybe we can trace Lowtax´ bloodline back all the way to diogenes?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Maybe we can trace Lowtax´ bloodline back all the way to diogenes?

I'm sure there are detailed records of everyone born to prostitutes in the 3rd century BC

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

I'm sure there are detailed records of everyone born to prostitutes in the 3rd century BC

By "trace" i meant "make poo poo up and declare it fact".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"If I keel over whilst jerking off, please make up some other cause of death, for the sake of my bastard son Microforos." - Diogenes, probably

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I want my tombstone to say "He held his breath until he suffocated" so everyone thinks i was super hardcore but a select few know the terrible shameful truth.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
diogenes was a hell of a furry

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pick posted:

diogenes was a hell of a furry

Called himself a dog, check
Pervasive odor of semen, check
Most of his net worth is one item of clothing, check
Inexplicably had friends, check

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Diogenes was known to often wear the tail of a dog, inserted into his rectum by means of an attached 8" length of rounded wood. When questioned about this by Plato he insisted it "wasn't a sex thing"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oberleutnant posted:

Diogenes was known to often wear the tail of a dog, inserted into his rectum by means of an attached 8" length of rounded wood. When questioned about this by Plato he insisted it "wasn't a sex thing"

When Plato gave Socrates' definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes put on an anatomically correct dog costume and walked into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man." After this incident, "capable of astonishing sexual deviance" was added to Plato's definition.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
"There was a time when I was as you are now, but as I am now you will never be."

"Lions aren't slaves of those who feed them; rather those that feed them are at the mercy of the lions. Fear is the mark of the slave and wild beasts make men afraid of them."

Asked what the most beautiful thing in the world was, he replied, "Freedom of speech."

He got violently angry when people prayed to the gods for health but did nothing to keep themselves healthy.

When he saw doctors, philosophers and pilots he thought man the most intelligent of animals, but when he saw interpreters of dreams, diviners, and the conceited rich he thought no animal more silly.

Asked where he came from, he replied, "I am a citizen of the world." In ancient Greek that's just the word 'Cosmopolitos' (except in Greek letters), so Diogenes may be responsible for coining the word "cosmopolitan."

There's a rumor that he died from eating an octopus raw, since cooking food was just a useless human convention.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gutter Phoenix posted:

There's a rumor that he died from eating an octopus raw, since cooking food was just a useless human convention.
Another rumour that I've read is that he was dividing up food for a pack of stray dogs and they bit at his feet and heels in their excitement, and he died of an infection.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Claimed causes of death include that, an infected dog bite, he held his breath until he died, or the barrel he sat in was too full of poo poo so he got sick and died. I honestly think the dude jo'd himself to death and his friends made up different stories to spare the embarrassment.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I don't think there is much room for shame when you publicly jack off laying in your own feces while your dog companions watch.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Berk Berkly posted:

I don't think there is much room for shame when you publicly jack off laying in your own feces while your dog companions watch.

Diogenes: After I die, give me a stick so I can prevent wild animals from eating my corpse
Scrubs: But you'll be dead
Diogenes: Oh yeah, so I'll be too dead to give a poo poo u basic-rear end ho

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

i'm more curious about that j.l gerome rear end in a top hat who tagged the wall right above diogenes house
have you read that article about pompeii? they used to fyad right there on the walls

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

hahah

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

someone get this man an account
the only goon interest he'd be familiar with is cuck

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
somne of my favourite quotes from the classical era belong to the laconic speech of a ancient Sparta. They were famous for saying the most concise punchy yet appropriate phrase possible. for instance when messengers from Xerxes arrived in Sparta and demanded the Spartans surrender, King Leonidas simply replied "This is Sparta!" and kicked said messenger down a well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chamale posted:

Claimed causes of death include that, an infected dog bite, he held his breath until he died, or the barrel he sat in was too full of poo poo so he got sick and died. I honestly think the dude jo'd himself to death and his friends made up different stories to spare the embarrassment.

Two words: Autoerotic Asphyxiation.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Applewhite posted:

No doubt that's what really happened.

concerned mom posted:

somne of my favourite quotes from the classical era belong to the laconic speech of a ancient Sparta. They were famous for saying the most concise punchy yet appropriate phrase possible. for instance when messengers from Xerxes arrived in Sparta and demanded the Spartans surrender, King Leonidas simply replied "This is Sparta!" and kicked said messenger down a well.

Actually they demanded a ritual tribute of earth and water, so the Spartans said "We'll show you some earth and water" and threw the Persians into a well. Still p cool though

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Chamale posted:

No doubt that's what really happened.

Actually they demanded a ritual tribute of earth and water, so the Spartans said "We'll show you some earth and water" and threw the Persians into a well. Still p cool though

Thanks Obama, for not being nearly as cool as that guy.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
thank mr diogens

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

King Demaratus, being annoyed by someone pestering him with a question concerning who the most exemplary Spartan was, answered "He that is least like you."

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

whod win in a philosoph-off; diognysos or the Dude

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like it was way easier to be a philosopher back then because all your dumb teenage stoned thoughts would not have already been thought of by someone 100 years before so you'd be the first one to say it and therefore deep as gently caress.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

quakster posted:

whod win in a philosoph-off; diognysos or the Dude

at least the dude is housebroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Chamale posted:

Diogenes: After I die, give me a stick so I can prevent wild animals from eating my corpse
Scrubs: But you'll be dead
Diogenes: Oh yeah, so I'll be too dead to give a poo poo u basic-rear end ho

"Dump me in the wilderness with a big stick" is going to be the first clause of my will.

• Locked thread