Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I've based my life on him.

No joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Mange Mite posted:

Can you skip to the part where he kills himself?

It's gunna happen, but I sure am having fun for now

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
So, like, he's from Synope, but he and his pappy were exiled because his dad was treasurer and 'debased the currency' (whatever that means). Early experiment in fiat currency? Or was this the family that necessitated Archimedes big insight (using displacement and weight to differentiate counterfeit gold coins with lead weights in 'em from the 'real thing')?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

nomadologique posted:

according to the trustworthy accounts of his life, he was sold as a slave at some point

Kidnapped by Pirates, as I recall. Was on the auction block, and some greek dude saw him, asked him 'what can you do?'

The Big D was all 'I can lead nations, so find me a man who needs a ruler.'

So the greek bought him, freed him, and hired him to tutor his kids.

edit - also, some teenagers came 'round and tried to get D to participate in Bumfights. The hooligans roughed him up. When the city found out, they hunted the kids down and put 'em in stocks.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Dude was a heteronormative homophobe though. One time he saw a young man acting all girlish and wanting it in the rear end, and D yelled sexist patriarchal things at him.

What's kinda cool is the etymology; Diogenes the Cynic. The word for Cynic was also the root word for Canine. So dogs are /named after diogenes. So are the Canary Islands, named after the dogs that live there. So are Canary birds, named for the island they're from. And, of course, your canine teeth are also named after Diogenes the Cynic.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_School_of_Athens#mediaviewer/File:Sanzio_01.jpg

This is 'The School of Athens', by Raphael. My favorite painting.

Raphael was asked to paint the interior of the pope's apartment (or some such), and wanted to be a really subtle dick about it (to avoid the wrath of the church). So he wanted to paint all the great thinkers of antiquity. Where he was able, he'd travel to museums and libraries to learn how people dressed in any particular philosopher's lifetime and location. He'd look for busts of the great philosophers, but there weren't always any that survived the 1500ish years. Mostly, he just read everything he could about and by the philosophers he's featuring.

So, for example, Plato and Aristotle are the focus of the painting; Plato is pointing up, at the higher world of ideas and forms, and Aristotle points out, at you, the viewer, deliberately taking you out of the painting and reminding you that the environment around you is what you have to work with if you wish to pursue happiness.

Euclid and Pythagoras frame the image, each doing math on slates. Pythagoras, the first rationalist (who insisted that everything we see must be an illusion) is there, pointing at a rational argument he's laid out on a a page, pointing at it as if to say 'SEE!? The argument is logically coherent and sound, so obviously the conclusion is true - the world you perceive is an illusion! The entire universe must be a single, solid, indivisible sphere!' Democratis later used that idea in plural to address Xeno's paradoxes, inventing the 'atom.'

Based on what you'e learned about Diogenes, it shouldn't be hard to pick him out in this image.

Another of my favorite figures in this painting is Heraclitus. The dude in the foreground, resting awkwardly on that marble block. Heraclitus once wrote 'you can never step in the same river twice'; but i think Raphael is actually referencing Heraclitus' line 'If sheep and goats had gods, they would look like sheep and goats.'

See, Raphael snuck into the Sistine Chapel to see what his buddy Michaelangelo was doin'. Raph knew that Mikey had been doin' vivisections of human cadavars at the law school, as a study of anatomy, and he managed to catch The Birth of Adam while it was still mostly a conceptual sketch on the ceiling. What he saw inspired him to paint Michaelangelo into The School of Athens - and tell everyone it was Heraclitus. Why?

http://emp.byui.edu/davisr/202/CreationOfAdamBrain.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
One time someone asked Diogenes 'Hey, fucker, why do you think it is that people give to beggars, but nobody gives to philosophers?'

And Diogenes was all 'Well, even the richest man, when they meet a beggar, thinks that they too could some day become a beggar. Nobody imagines they might become a philosopher.'

• Locked thread