Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Also Wiscon '06

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamic Static
Jun 25, 2005
Non-contradictory
Dear Richard, Qqqq Qqqqqqq, gamequoter and other gimmick accounts. We all made a giant goony tower... When crazy poo poo happened GBS had the news because the internet was not chock full of all the information in the universe updated every nano second. It was pretty dope and many threads were awarded golden man babies, even some super poo poo threads went on to be hysterical.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Vanagoon posted:

drat it, I was going to post Killdozer: :(

The Killdozer thread was a loving riot. I remember people were posting the news footage set to Yakety Sax and Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It.

Wish I could find those videos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

I love the "Yeah, motherfuckers" picture of Marvin Heemeyer posted on Wikipedia.

:killdozer: :killdozer: :killdozer: :killdozer:

Nobody posted a Killdozer 10th Anniversary thread last year, I don't think. Ten years since Granby, CO got their poo poo leveled.

Killdoze forever, :angel:

Man I had totally forgotten kill dozer and just thinking about yakety sax made me nearly spit with laughter. I can't believe that was so long ago .

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I still say all the nice-nice don't-make-fun everybody's-a-winner bullshit is Mayor Wilkins and Ice Queen's fault.

Those two and all the newly emboldened pussy bitches that followed them around and sucked their e-dicks 24/7

I remember a thread where Mayor Wilkins chimed in with some sex advice of all things to come from that gross lump and talked about shaving his woman's snatch and about (and I quote because the words are forever branded in my memory) "the scent of slowly moistening vagina"

If you remember anything about Mayor Wilkins you know why that is such a horrible thing to think about.

Oh, and Ice Queen looked like a mutant transsexual Beavis and she worshiped motherhood in an unnatural and desperate way and her little pack of hanger-on gently caress stains would call her Ice Mommy.

And for all the damage they inflicted on the forums what I am most mad at them for is that they made me legit angry about strangers on the internet and I sort of feel violated by it.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Only good mod is a dead mod

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

I brought this one up in one of Atma's previous threads and some goon said he had all the images saved. But the thread was closed before he could post a link and I didn't have PMs at the time so I didn't get them. :smith:

Sorry hombre, Deathcopter and Microbe are beyond us now. :(

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Long live DeathCopter.

That CYOA would have made an awesome game. Microbe too but admittedly my memory of it is shoddier. I remember microbe avatars more than microbe itself.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
we helped a retard kill some people over puckins

King Bootylicious
Dec 1, 2006

WOW JUST WOW GOONDOLENCES YOU OWE ME A NEW KEYBOARD I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW OVERLORDS I HOPE THIS IS TRUE IN BEFORE IMAGE MACROS AWAITING YAKETY SAX VERSION VOTED 5
It was cool. BYOB was funner and FYAD was more exclusive.

A Human Ear Alright
Feb 3, 2004

fantastic life

I joined these forums when I was 18 and I still quote this. Once in a great while, people quote it back to me. A lasting friendship I made in college was due to someone saying "I find the defendant..." and me responding "DEAD IN MY BASEMENT."

Old SA was in the right place with the right skills at the right time: people good at Photoshop and Flash and generally zany content back when that was what the internet needed more of/craved. SA predates YouTube by years, for example -- tribute.wmv had to be shared around, person-to-person, unless you were here. My SA account predates my Facebook account by several months, and I was on there early. Now the barriers to sharing are nonexistent and :effort: that doesn't reach professional-looking levels is often mocked or ignored in all the places that were inspired somewhat by SA's ethos. Plus, the cannibalizing/mock-rather-than-create thing that's happened over a lot of the internet doesn't lend itself to SA's strengths (how many "x is poo poo and you are poo poo" threads do we need, a thread that says "look at this youtube video" is rarely going places, are we just white-knighting each other into the ground, etc.), and efforts to fix that problem may have caused more damage than they repaired. But I think the forums have reached some sort of new equilibrium now, and that's cool.

LF around the 2008 U.S. elections was a magical place -- serious discussion of major issues peppered with withering insults, constant denigrating of Ron Paul types, some really creative threads, and TV/IV level insanity on election night itself. Also I would like to admit that I was totally taken in by the beautiful long con of TobleroneTriangular and his obsession with "purestrain gold"; godspeed to that goon.

I caught pneumonia in summer 2009 and almost died -- when I came out of the hospital I didn't post or even visit SA for years after, for whatever reason. I guess LF became some sort of cesspool of Maoists or whatever during that time? And they got the Secret Service called on Lowtax at least once? Oh well. Sad end to a great thing. I doubt, given all of the above, that it would work in TODAY'S INTERNET (TM) (WEB 3.11), but maybe that's why we look back on it so fondly.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
We are sensitive to the needs of those suffering from homophobia. So in our new San Francisco, we got rid of the dirt, but kept the pansies by creating "Bachelorland".

When you see the new San Francisco, you'll say "San Fran-tastic!"

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

COBRARocky posted:

When I came back here nearly everyone on my old ignore list was a regular in the troon thread.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

With all the doxxing and internet detective skills, have the goons ever figured out who the kid in Jeff K's pictures is? I seem to remember there being a major effort one time that ended up going nowhere. There was all this crazy speculation that he was Lowtax's brother or cousin. That he was retarded and that Lowtax was ashamed of his mentally retarded brother and was hiding him from the world.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Steampunk iPhone posted:

please bring back the goatse forum lowtax

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I think it was a lot less cynical and jaded. Things like goontower, the original :smith: thread, P P P P Powerbook, Mr. Water, and the blueball machine just wouldn't happen today because there would be 50 shitposts mocking the OP for trying to do something fun.

bowser fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 11, 2015

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Goon Island

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
A lot of old guard goon elitism is alive and well in Goonfleet it seems, Iv met a fair amount of people who stopped posting on SA because "reg dates no longer mattered" but kept playing with goonfleet for ~reasons~

John Liver
May 4, 2009

bowser posted:

I think it was a lot less cynical and jaded. Things like goontower, the original :smith: thread, P P P P Powerbook, Mr. Water, and the blueball machine just wouldn't happen today because there would be 50 shitposts mocking the OP for trying to do something fun.

2009-2012 GBS was the No Fun Zone, the NeoGBS of 2015 is considerably more fun, gay, and anime

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
lots of EVE recruitment drives

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Rando posted:

I still say all the nice-nice don't-make-fun everybody's-a-winner bullshit is Mayor Wilkins and Ice Queen's fault.

Those two and all the newly emboldened pussy bitches that folloApril'swed them around and sucked their e-dicks 24/7

I remember a thread where Mayor Wilkins chimed in with some sex advice of all things to come from that gross lump and talked about shaving his woman's snatch and about (and I quote because the words are forever branded in my memory) "the scent of slowly moistening vagina"

If you remember anything about Mayor Wilkins you know why that is such a horrible thing to think about.

Oh, and Ice Queen looked like a mutant transsexual Beavis and she worshiped motherhood in an unnatural and desperate way and her little pack of hanger-on gently caress stains would call her Ice Mommy.

And for all the damage they inflicted on the forums what I am most mad at them for is that they made me legit angry about strangers on the internet and I sort of feel violated by it.

No one told Lowtax that she was made a mod, Ozma just promoted her. The biggest thing I remember about that was some poster called Scarlet something who posted a picture of herself and she was a hambeast. She also Post d something about having a fried egg on a hamburger and goons had a good laugh about that. She also mentioned her husband so much that everyone would post MY HUSBAND in her threads

Anyway. Ice queen was demoted and we had our first shark week and lots of people got banned.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

White Phosphorus posted:

With all the doxxing and internet detective skills, have the goons ever figured out who the kid in Jeff K's pictures is? I seem to remember there being a major effort one time that ended up going nowhere. There was all this crazy speculation that he was Lowtax's brother or cousin. That he was retarded and that Lowtax was ashamed of his mentally retarded brother and was hiding him from the world.

-thats me.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Bonzo posted:

No one told Lowtax that she was made a mod, Ozma just promoted her. The biggest thing I remember about that was some poster called Scarlet something who posted a picture of herself and she was a hambeast. She also Post d something about having a fried egg on a hamburger and goons had a good laugh about that. She also mentioned her husband so much that everyone would post MY HUSBAND in her threads

wasn't that sidhedevil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

bowser posted:

Yeah but the average quality of the entire medium of 'internet humour' was lower quality on average then. The bar was just lower.

I mean in 2006 YTMND was the pinnacle of net humour. Heck you can even feel YTMND's influence in memes today- they were basically the first image macro. That same year Happy Tree Friends actually got its own TV series. A year later, Powerthirst was popular. Can you imagine if the Demented Cartoon Movie were released today? It's not even that the humour in some of those was necessarily bad, at least for my younger self, but the production quality alone would preclude them from being popular on today's internet. The only way you get away with low production quality on the internet today is if its a deliberate aesthetic (Atma's old computer graphics ) or unintentional and therefor hilarious (The Room). I hate to say it, but even HomeStar Runner would have trouble finding success if it started right now, and was the same quality. Besides the odd high quality viral piece, the internet is just image macros, reality/fail videos, and cats.

• Locked thread