Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i used a few macs before osx and they were unusable then too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sweevo posted:

it's so cute the way macintards think that getting 4% of the market means they're winning

+5, insightful

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

carry on then posted:

mecc was cool too,

gently caress yes son

apple ii forever! steve lied iigs died!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
macintosh is a very good computer

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i dont like the new finder logo its bad

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

I keep a classic vm around to play bitchin old games like castles ii siege and conquest and syndicate

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

http://aleclikesmacintosh.tumblr.com/

this is a good tumblr for old mac screenshots and pictures of hardware

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

CamH posted:

castles ii siege and conquest

i was sooooo bad at this

i don't think i survived longer than 15 or 20 minutes i always got sieged

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

post the macs you had at home

i had an LCII, a Quadra 630, a powermac 6500/250, a G4 450, a G5, then a powerbook which i still have to this day

Mac Plus, Mac SE, LC520, LC575, PowerComputing PowerCenter 166, Powerbook 5300cs (lmao), Powerbook Duo 2300c, PowerMac 5200/75, Powermac 6300, Quadra 605 (x2), PowerMac G3 (Blue & white), Powerbook G3 (Pismo), iBook G4 (12"), MacBook Pro (mid-2009)

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 9, 2014

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

graph posted:

this is incredibly my poo poo op

same

graph posted:

protip press open-apple power when a system bomb dialog comes up and type G FINDER at the > and it'll recover 90% of the time
there were other codes u could type too that would sometimes recover it but i forgot what they are

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

didn't marathon have 8 person multiplayer and voice chat in 1993? eat poo poo doomlords

hell yeah, it owned a bunch. pre-MS bungie made great games.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

niiiiiiiiice

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

#oldmacstuff

best keyboard ever

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

post the macs you had at home

i had an LCII, a Quadra 630, a powermac 6500/250, a G4 450, a G5, then a powerbook which i still have to this day

Classic II, IIsi, Color Classic, Powerbook 540c, 5300c, 1400c (gently caress yeah cd drive), beige Powermac G3/233, Powerbook G3 (both wall street and lombard models), first generation 12" powerbook G4, macbook pro non-unibody, retina imac

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

"iTunes still doesn’t have multi threading? jesus christ what is this noise.
#guh"

lol

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
i did that thing where you cut open the Color Classic and transplant the guts from a power macintosh 5x00 series computer so you can upgrade it to comical specifications and be stuck with the 9" 512x384 display (modded to 640x480 ofc). ahh wasted youth

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the first computer i ever used was a mac classic

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a mac se was my first computer, didn't even have a hard drive when we got it

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

Necc0 posted:

there was this ownage game where you got to play as a fish and swim around a coral reef and i guess i was a 1337 hacker back in the day because i knew how to push settings-> open mode or w/e and play as a great white shark and eat everything. all i remember is the kid sitting next to me being all :pwn: at how powerful i was chomping through everything. fish. coral. fuckin great white doesnt give a poo poo (^^^)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

i had a IIsi with the upgraded 5mb of ram and 80mb hd, 13" apple monitor, scsi cd-rom and a apple laserwriter when I was in grade school. my dad bought it because he was a teacher and used his educational discount. it was still something like $5000 for the package lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

macs are such trash and this thread confirms it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
apple //gs -> powermac 6100/60 (what an upgrade) -> motorola starmax 5000/225 (won it at macworld) -> b&w g3 powermac -> mdd powermac g4 -> imac early 2009

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

macs are such trash and this thread confirms it

u

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

hail cat satan

my first personal mac was a Titanium powerbook g4 :smuggo:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the first computer i ever owned myself was a Mac SE/30. loved the hell out of that little beige box. next mac i ever owned was a 2008 iMac, which i returned almost immediately because those were the ones with the lovely 6-bit panels with hella bad dithering. next i had a 2009 mac mini.

current computer is a 2011 iMac.

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
when i was in college i had one of those lovely imac computers, you know, the all in ones with the heavyass crt screen built in

a friend of mine noticed me bitching about it locking up when i'd run photoshop so he was like "well poo poo, put more ram in"

yeah, the only way we could figure out how to put more ram in was to saw it open (we were both dumb and without special screwdrivers)

built a windows pc and never looked back :yayclod:

ps: never had to drive an hour to get software for it again

ninja edit - it was mac os 9

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
lol I upgraded the RAM in my iMac by unplugging it, laying it face down on a towel, removing the little plate at the bottom, and putting more RAM in. on the new Retina iMacs there's a little panel on the back that opens up and is there just so you can upgrade the RAM.

it's retard-easy.

too bad they went to soldered-on RAM for the new mac mini :(

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mac mini is super shameful

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
new mac mini, yes.

previous macs mini were great little computers.

like, late 2009 mac mini and onward you can upgrade the RAM by just flipping it over and twisting the bottom off, the RAM is right there.

new ones have soldered-on RAM but still have the same form factor and only dual-core CPUs, it's hella shameful.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

switched from pasting paper layouts for yearbook to pagemaker on a iici in high school, stories were typed on se/30. then had a performa 6360. i have a iici now because ~nostalgia~, pismo powerbook, and two og imacs with os 9 when my kids were little because mac education software was cheap at places like half price books.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Smythe posted:

advanced. l;ike advanced stage of fail cancer. rofl

lmfao

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

get the max amount of ram when you buy the computer and then you don't have to worry about not having enough ram and not being able to upgrade it like a caveman

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

http://ubumexico.centro.org.mx/video/JODI_OSX-Tiger-Desktop-Live_2005.mp4
https://vimeo.com/4147868
https://vimeo.com/4150620
https://vimeo.com/4272902
https://vimeo.com/4651473

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

My current iMac is a late 2013 and my next one will be teh retin a iMac

emptyquotin the good word

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

TED BUNNDY posted:

yeah, the only way we could figure out how to put more ram in was to saw it open (we were both dumb and without special screwdrivers)

lol forever

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
old macs were the bomb

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
we had a mac plus when I was in high school, upgraded to 4 megs of ram and a 20mb SCSI drive, but I think the floppy drive couldn't read 1.44mb disks

also arturia released a couple new synth emulations including the matrix 12 so I grabbed the original manual from 1986 and

macpaint :allears:

• Locked thread