Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt House
Oct 17, 2002

i love you, you jerk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOTq1EpV5o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt House
Oct 17, 2002

i love you, you jerk
also in 6th grade our school got the quadras with video in/out which was loving money in those days

the school wanted to do a live newscast (which involves just filming in the library in front of a Sony handycam reading announcements), so I rigged the camera thru the Mac and did on screen graphics

which was a complete fluke due to the fact that if the video window was behind some other window, anything colored magenta would allow video to seep through

so throw some hyperstudio slides together and bam...a graphics package with alpha mask.

90s macs best macs

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I used a Mac in '96 running Photoshop 3, that was not a needs-suiting experience at all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dad bought an se/30 in the late 80s and i made hypercard games on it, it was :coal:

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
My original OS was System 6.
I barely knew how to computer back then, for I was but a wee child.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm
sure
I dos

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
pyf folklore.org story

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Hide_Under_This_Desk.txt

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I used a Mac in '96 running Photoshop 3, that was not a needs-suiting experience at all.

photoshop 4 was a real gamechanger tho :pcgaming:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i still have photoshop 7 on my powerbook g4, it suits my image resizing and autolevels needs just fine

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
buncha children up in here

First Mac used regularly was a "Fat Mac." There were a couple of original 128K Macs in the lab... get there late and haha gently caress you, hope you enjoy swapping discs.

I remember when we phased those out for Pluses... I remember when we replaced the Pluses with SEs (dual-floppy supremacy! no more swapping application and System disks!)... I remember intense jealousy because certain members of faculty got SE/30s instead of standard SEs...

we were the first university in the Caribbean to purchase a IIfx !!! Imagine spending $12K on a single workstation these days.

Also : the IIci startup chime is the best startup chime :colbert:

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

in middle school every teacher got an imac and got to choose their imac color :shobon:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

buttcrackmenace posted:

Also : the IIci startup chime is the best startup chime :colbert:

twentieth anniversary mac

Egan Yardley posted:

in middle school every teacher got an imac and got to choose their imac color :shobon:

:3:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

twentieth anniversary mac

never heard that before, googled it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxPwKqzOZQ

no

reminiscent of the horrid noise emitted on boot by all the malaise-era LCs and Performas

the IIci's chime is clean, fresh, short (Apple made the startup chime longer on all subsequent models)

also : it played instantly. No >300ms loading delay or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxioQiA_4Bs

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
yes

its me

:spergin: over the beep boops made by a twenty-five-year-old computer versus those of a seventeen-year old computer

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

aw i did get a big nostalgia rush from the g3 at the beginning of the video

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's actually http://froods.ca/~dschaub/Files/Startup/spwrcrd.aiff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol if when your school first got a mac capable of speech synthesis you didn't open up simpletext and type 10000 x's in a row and tell it to "speak" (or command-J, that's how pro i was) and then run away giggling as it said EXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEXSEX for ten minutes.. just smdh at your wasted childhood

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

orange you glad you bought a power macintosh? :haw:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

oh poo poo remember taskmaker

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Old Macs SUCKED what worthless trash they were, are, and always will be

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

buttcrackmenace posted:

never heard that before, googled it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxPwKqzOZQ

no

reminiscent of the horrid noise emitted on boot by all the malaise-era LCs and Performas

the IIci's chime is clean, fresh, short (Apple made the startup chime longer on all subsequent models)

also : it played instantly. No >300ms loading delay or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxioQiA_4Bs

Above: Ugly, slow, crashy junk.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Egan Yardley posted:

in middle school, the school library had a centris 610. my homeroom teacher had an LCII. it got system 7 on it it halfway thru the year and he deleted a bunch of stuff from the system folder trying to make it look more like system 6. lol.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

pre-layers versions of photoshop [I think they added them in 95ish] were a whole different scene, like you'd have to plan out what you wanted to do in advance, have all your original files ready and do a single "run" where you couldn't really gently caress up because the undo cache only had 1 or 2 steps in it. If you made a big mistake you could frequently have to start from scratch plus a basic unsharp mask would take 5-10 minutes to run

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
first Mac at home was a quadra 630 :c00l:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

elementary school had original imacs, think they bought them when i was in 3rd grade,

then they were still using them in 2008 and lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

pre-layers versions of photoshop [I think they added them in 95ish] were a whole different scene, like you'd have to plan out what you wanted to do in advance, have all your original files ready and do a single "run" where you couldn't really gently caress up because the undo cache only had 1 or 2 steps in it. If you made a big mistake you could frequently have to start from scratch plus a basic unsharp mask would take 5-10 minutes to run

channels were metal as gently caress

buttcrackmenace posted:

we were the first university in the Caribbean

whoa where

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

channels were metal as gently caress

yeah you could do some serious wizard poo poo with channel tricks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my elementary school had macs too- but I wasn't so brain-dead retarded that I thought they were cool. Actually, I realized they sucked balls and got a powerful PC at home to frag people online, cruise the encarta cd, and fly around the world of ancient computers like TRON but way cooler.

some nanmby-pamby goody 2 shoes bitch: "they have Macs at school and my teacher says theyre great. They must be great"

Actually cool person with critical thknking skills: "They're trying to brainwash me.. better check out the specs and get the best rig. Hmm, turns out that's a powerful custom PC! Cool. :coal:"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The Megahertz Myth everybody. Round of applause

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

yeah you could do some serious wizard poo poo with channel tricks

i got a photoshop type treatment book and thats how i learned about them. wild

Smythe posted:

The Megahertz Myth everybody. Round of applause

smythe feels good knowing his bigger numbers = better than. he stuffs it in his pillow

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

apple fanboyism became acceptable and correct in about 2007 after the iPhone unveiling and the release of the 64-bit Core 2 Duo MacBooks Pro

this was the first apple computer I bought, natch

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

THC posted:

apple fanboyism became acceptable and correct in about 2007 after the iPhone unveiling and the release of the 64-bit Core 2 Duo MacBooks Pro

this was the first apple computer I bought, natch

this thread is not for you, please make a new thread if you wish to discuss apple's missteps

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

photoshop 4 was a real gamechanger tho :pcgaming:

you mean photoshop 3

fickin' LAYERS man instead of only channel ops

4 was the start of adobe deliberately making the user experience terrible because they wanted to suck up to windows users

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive had a fair few

ok not counting the //gs

first mac i got was surplus around 2001, i got it from a buddy in apt complex. quadra 800 in a quadra 700 case, with 2 external scsi drives. whole setup with crt was like 200 fkn lbs it was stupid and great.
oh yeah it was running BSD.

after that i got my hands on one of the most loving garbage trash macintoshes ever
performa 5300.

quote:

But Apple went beyond crippling the 64-bit CPU on a 32-bit data bus – way beyond that.

Depending on CPU speed, memory runs at one-half to one-third of CPU speed. (Because RAM is so slow compared to current CPUs, this is normal for PowerPC and Intel Macs. For instance, a G3 can run at up to 8 times motherboard speed.)
It takes four memory cycles to load a 64-bit word (which equals 8-12 CPU cycles, since the processor is two-to-three times faster than memory!). Cycle 1: read 32 bits. Cycle 2: store 32 bits. Cycle 3: read next 32 bits. Cycle 4: combine with first read for 64-bit instruction. Then the CPU can process the instruction.
Because it used a 32-bit motherboard, different functions are handled by different 32-bit buses, called Left 32 and Right 32.
Left 32 handles networking, audio, ADB, and SCSI. Networking, audio, and ADB are each 16 bits wide; SCSI (for CD-ROM and external devices) is 8 bits wide. This involves a lot of overlap and causes a lot of problems.
Right 32 includes the 32-bit memory controller, the 8-bit IDE hard drive controller, the 32-bit graphics controller, the 16-bit video controller, and the (thankfully optional) 8-bit TV controller. Again, this involves a lot of overlap and can cause a lot of problems.
Any time something on Left 32 needs to communicate with Right 32 – or vice versa – it must go through the CPU, which acts as a bridge. This really slows down the CPU, since it must divert its attention from processing data to moving data between sections. And don’t forget the four-cycles-per-64-bit-word problem noted above.
Because of the design, all data from the serial port, comm slot, or an ethernet card must pass though the CPU to reach system memory. This makes for very poor performers on the Internet.
Because of this peculiar architecture, upgrading the level 2 cache or increasing VRAM would actually slow things down. Good thing they aren’t options!
Apple saved money by using IDE hard drives instead of SCSI drives. Not only is IDE cheaper, but cheap IDE drives tend to be slower than cheap SCSI drives. (This is not the issue it once was, as the IDE/ATA specification has come a long ways since then.)
Again to save money, Apple left hardware handshaking off the serial ports. These were the only PowerPC-based Macs without GeoPort serial ports. (Even the Mac Plus has hardware handshaking!) This limited users to a comm slot modem or a 9600 bps or slower external modem.
A comm slot modem disables the modem port; a comm slot ethernet card disables the printer port.

Its ONLY redeeming value was that it had a TV tuner card.

Umm, after that I got my hands on a powermac 8600, it was pretty cool too and i dug it.

after that, lessee, it was all OS X. i had a g4 MDD ('mirror drive door' :rolleyes:) with matching display, setup was just like this

after that, i got handed a 'dead' g4 mac mini, reseated the PO-installed RAM upgrade and sold it for $300. Then picked up a g4 imac, a g4 ibook, built a hackintosh, bought two blackbooks, and now I have a 15" rmbp.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

posting with my os8 :smugmrgw:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

graph posted:

smythe feels good knowing his bigger numbers = better than. he stuffs it in his pillow

graph I don't think you want to start a pissing contest with me. I keep my burns computer related, perhaps you should do the same before it gets personal

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Old macs are slow junk with no software. They were so bad the company almost died. ROFL

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
turns out we just needed a web browser and a terminal anyways. old macs fulfill 50% or more of those requirements v0v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

wait is that duality

• Locked thread