Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a mac se was my first computer, didn't even have a hard drive when we got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I used a Mac in '96 running Photoshop 3, that was not a needs-suiting experience at all.

pre-layers versions of photoshop [I think they added them in 95ish] were a whole different scene, like you'd have to plan out what you wanted to do in advance, have all your original files ready and do a single "run" where you couldn't really gently caress up because the undo cache only had 1 or 2 steps in it. If you made a big mistake you could frequently have to start from scratch plus a basic unsharp mask would take 5-10 minutes to run

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

channels were metal as gently caress

yeah you could do some serious wizard poo poo with channel tricks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've owned
SE
8500/132
G4/400
ibook
mac mini #1
white macbook
mac mini #2
macbook air

mac mini #2 and the mba are up for replacement in the next 12ish months

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

i can't imagine doing desktop publishing in black and white

i imagine you had to print things out a lot, or did they only ever do black and white design on those?

you could do color, Quark would do placeholders of color scans [but no preview just a box with an X in it] and you'd just use your pantone swatch book to figure out spot colors of things [the old ones had perforations so you could hold the swatch right on the page]

at that point you only printed in the office as a preview and you'd still have to go to the press check [frequently at 11pm-3am] to get the offset plates tweaked right

I only did a little bit of color design on B&W but I did plenty of B&W-only stuff in high school, lots of fun things like hand-tweaking postscript code to get various "textures"

I do not miss those days

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

i don't miss the days of preflight tweaking because holy gently caress

yall have NO IDEA how good it is now
*arrives at print shop at 11PM with barely-finished project*
"hey man we just ran a proof and it's not supposed to look like this, right?"
*looks down at a page with every font and half the photos broken*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

around 1997 when cd burners became common enough that everybody* just carried the whole Adobe Type Library in their bag made things better

*everybody except me, of course

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

wow I didn't have a CD burner until 2000 and even then it was a shortly usb 2x one.

we had pretty much everything because if a customer had a bernoulli drive we had to have a bernoulli drive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i bet you had a dozen dead zip drives too.

always some fucker bringing in a disk with the click of death

nah the early SCSI ones were actually pretty reliable, iomega just sucked at scaling up so the cheaper they got the worse the hardware was

jaz drives were cursed from day 1 though, gently caress those forever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

poo poo I have a friend who's done layout for years and he uses Illustrator :psyduck:

but he said it's great for such things.

if you don't need lots of re-flowing text or you're under 50 pages it's not bad but doing page numbers, ToCs, footnotes, etc. by hand is kind of crazy

illustrator is the best design tool ever created by humans

indesign is so easy though just plop all your .ais into a project and let it do preflight and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all performas were varying degrees of POS

• Locked thread